5.0 guide to optimal use of all reflects (operations only)

mwissie

hey guys,

this is (obviously) a work in progress; but since I already had a compiled list of places where guardians can reflect, I thought I'd just edit it, to include all classes

the biggest thing for shadows, is that reflect doesn't actually prevent damage for us, but on the bright side, we have the longest duration on reflect (12+ seconds)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k3Gt4dRWFn1Yt1SyMapRwM_880LThpHuJUJG0Udaxgk/edit?usp=sharing

feel free to comment, or share anything you've discovered (preferably with a combat log and/or video)

hope you like it, and find it useful ^^

Please note this reflect does not absorb the damage! Doom goes through :D Though the reflect isn't capped probably :D So it may be worth xD

if there's no cap, on nightmare you could just sacrifice the life of 1 dps to one shot 1 of the bosses ;)

I've tried it out with mando, did like 40k dmg, and a few M threat (a bit liker saber reflect)

still want to try it out with shadow though

if there's no cap, on nightmare you could just sacrifice the life of 1 dps to one shot 1 of the bosses ;)

I've tried it out with mando, did like 40k dmg, and a few M threat (a bit liker saber reflect)

still want to try it out with shadow though

looks so. HM Trasher - 60k reflect

5.64% 1 Retaliatory Grip Kinetic 60194 218.98 60194 0 60194 60194 0 0% 0%

http://parsely.io/parser/view/217309

"Money Boss" in S&V HM(I think :))

57.14% 2 Retaliatory Grip Kinetic 164464 3941.05 82232 0 82232 82232 0 0% 0%

http://parsely.io/parser/view/217310

looks so. HM Trasher - 60k reflect

5.64% 1 Retaliatory Grip Kinetic 60194 218.98 60194 0 60194 60194 0 0% 0%

http://parsely.io/parser/view/217309

"Money Boss" in S&V HM(I think :))

57.14% 2 Retaliatory Grip Kinetic 164464 3941.05 82232 0 82232 82232 0 0% 0%

http://parsely.io/parser/view/217310

that doesn't mean there's no cap on reflect, only that it's above 82k ;)

I have already noticed a few more things about reflect though

1. it doesn't last as long as deflection (neither does the puddle of yellow pee); since it ignores the 2 seconds increased duration from the setbonus

2. it does more damage than the damage you take; it probably calculates the reflected damage, before considering any of your defences (except when you resist, if resisting, the reflect isn't triggered)

my parse of doing thrasher HM for anyone interested btw http://parsely.io/parser/view/217596; did nearly 3.2k dps with reflect :rolleyes:

that doesn't mean there's no cap on reflect, only that it's above 82k ;)

I have already noticed a few more things about reflect though

1. it doesn't last as long as deflection (neither does the puddle of yellow pee); since it ignores the 2 seconds increased duration from the setbonus

2. it does more damage than the damage you take; it probably calculates the reflected damage, before considering any of your defences (except when you resist, if resisting, the reflect isn't triggered)

my parse of doing thrasher HM for anyone interested btw http://parsely.io/parser/view/217596; did nearly 3.2k dps with reflect :rolleyes:

Well I wrote there the word "probably". The question is where's the cap. Even a hit for 200k would be sufficient.

The other thing is - IIRC tanks don't receive the doom(and I am really rusty in TFB! so I may be wrong) and DPS has only 50 % chance to reflect, so... :)

Edit> Technologically speaking there has to be a cap because of the memory size of the variable :D

Edited by Deaconik

Well I wrote there the word "probably". The question is where's the cap. Even a hit for 200k would be sufficient.

The other thing is - IIRC tanks don't receive the doom(and I am really rusty in TFB! so I may be wrong) and DPS has only 50 % chance to reflect, so... :)

the highest single hit I've personally seen was 150k (an enraged fire device on torque HM); fun fact, if you kill the device with reflect, you take 0 damage from it

also, you misread the tooltip; shadow dps reflect 50% of the damage back, it's not a 50% chance to reflect

basically, any damage that a tank would do, dps would do half that much

that video.. omg.. they did like 3M damage within seconds

Haha, but reflect + shroud does :D

wait, shroud doesn't stop your reflect? good to know

Well, if you watched the video of Kephess, the sin tank one hitted the walker with reflect. The only way to do it without dying was to pop shroud too, which i think i saw him do. So shroud + reflect is actually better than juggs version because reflect is not capped.

[EDIT]

Actually on second watch he didn't use shroud.

Edited by Tsetso

Well, if you watched the video of Kephess, the sin tank one hitted the walker with reflect. The only way to do it without dying was to pop shroud too, which i think i saw him do. So shroud + reflect is actually better than juggs version because reflect is not capped.

[EDIT]

Actually on second watch he didn't use shroud.

If you tried to reflect on walker back in 2.0/3.0/4.0 you'd know that reflected damage (in case of juggernauts at least) doesn't respect the damage mechanic is supposed to do to players, instead hitting for cap (less than 10k ticks were reflected for ~22k).

If deflection's reflect isn't capped, I have no idea *** is going on in Freaky's vid :D

the highest single hit I've personally seen was 150k (an enraged fire device on torque HM); fun fact, if you kill the device with reflect, you take 0 damage from it

also, you misread the tooltip; shadow dps reflect 50% of the damage back, it's not a 50% chance to reflect

basically, any damage that a tank would do, dps would do half that much

that video.. omg.. they did like 3M damage within seconds

OH, then... then... uhhh... ?!!$!$%?!

Tested the reflect with a friend in a duel. Whenever I used shroud to resist his hits during reflect no damage was reflected back since I took none myself.

Didn't check how the force speed absorb works with it so if someone can check if it returns only what goes trough or what's being done regardless of absorbs, would be helpful.

Didn't check how the force speed absorb works with it so if someone can check if it returns only what goes trough or what's being done regardless of absorbs, would be helpful.

Based on my experience and tests with Saber Reflect, reflected damage should be based on the base damage of the attack, and not what you would eventually take after absorbshields and DR.

Should work something like this: determine if hit or miss. If hit, determine if reflect, if yes, apply reflected damage to attacker(maybe another hit or miss calc) and calculate damage taken for attacker and attacked after that with absorbs, DR and such.

Based on my experience and tests with Saber Reflect, reflected damage should be based on the base damage of the attack, and not what you would eventually take after absorbshields and DR.

Should work something like this: determine if hit or miss. If hit, determine if reflect, if yes, apply reflected damage to attacker(maybe another hit or miss calc) and calculate damage taken for attacker and attacked after that with absorbs, DR and such.

exactly, I've also seen on shadow the huuuuge difference between the damage I take, and the damage I reflect

I usually use force speed and/or battle readiness (or keep resilience ready for if my healers can't keep me up); depending on what it is that I reflect

I think the biggest difference was like 10x

I've not tested much, but I didn't notice any drops in reflected damage when using defensives (like adrenal, force speed or battle readiness)

Exactly. Reflect is called pre-damage taken... just before you take damage (and it account for your DR, absorbs shield and all), then it reflects the damage inside parameters (cap and multiplier), then you take damage (unless the reflect also absorbs damage). The only thing I'm not sure is how reflect interacts with shielding since this is likely checked when you roll for crit.

The only thing I'm not sure is how reflect interacts with shielding since this is likely checked when you roll for crit.

that's be mostly for pvp, or at least, npc's don't have crit as far as I'm aware (I could be wrong though)

You'd think BW should know better than to make a reflect without cap.. ow well.. :p

Edit: anyone tried to sacrifice shadow tanks on leech yet? Using all defensives you might survive surprisingly many hits (no clue how much dmg you'd do, but put as many hots on as possible, and use force speed+adrenal+battle readiness on leech; that's 2 seconds of near immunity, could even try resilience after force speed to survive)

Edited by mwissie

You'd think BW should know better than to make a reflect without cap.. ow well.. :p

As a side note: Calphayus died instantly on this one. When the first set of portals spawned I just stayed outside and reflected the AoE he's doing. One hit, he died :D

Only problem: Since he spawned on the left side portal(Was only SM, we were leveling a few chars) and the crystal there got killed, he started to spam his Endless Torment, that's supposed to wipe the raid, which has a huge area of effect. Like, we still got hit with it on the council plattforms right side :D

Sadly shadowplay messed the recording up :(

And I don't think it's not capped. Cause on other attacks it really does what the tooltip states, reflecting 100% of the damage you would get pre mitigation. Like Sunders "The End" was reflected for ~230k, which is reasonable. The council burst phase AoE was reflected for 6k per hit, which is also reasonable.

The AoE I killed Calph with hits for around 70k, yet he received 3.2kk by the reflect. On some attacks it just, dunno, multiplies the damage? Messed up stuff.

Edited by Torvai