[Jugg Tank] quick PvP gear question

Hi, which of the following combinations/sets is best for PvP Immortal Tank Juggernaut:

1. FULL TANK SET with BOTH SET bonuses filled with pvp DPS mods/armoring

2. FULL DPS SET with BOTH SET bonuses filled with pvp DPS mods/armoring

3. FULL TANK SET + part pvp DPS mods/armoring + part PvE TANK armoring for 2 different set bonuses

4. FULL DPS SET + part pvp DPS mods/armoring + part PvE TANK armoring for 2 different set bonuses

5. One part DPS set + one part TANK set (for two 1st set bonuses), both filled with pvp DPS mods/armoring

6*. One part DPS set + one part TANK set, both filled with pvp DPS mods/armoring AND PvE tank armoring - possible 3 set bonuses*?

I'll just take the quick and easy path, as Vader did, and tell you what I run with.

Start by buying the Vindicator armor. You'll want the set bonus from that to give you HP every time you Intercede. Pop Endure Pain, Warzone Medpack, then Intercede, and you get a metric ****ton of HP back. If you have no healer worth guarding (or he is dead) be sure to set a Focus Target and Intercede as soon as it is off CD, every time. ReFocus when your Healer returns.

Buy a bunch of Boots and put the Defense mod in every single piece you have. This will take some time and a lot of comms.

Here's where it gets tricky. You have to look at your Strength, Endurance, Power, Crit, Surge, and Accuracy. Use Enhancements, Color Crystals, and Augments, to get those values up to where you want them.

You can get away with a pair of crafted 27 Armorings. Put one in your Belt and one in your Chest. (This allows you to skip buying the Vindicator chest, as it is the most expensive piece. You only need 4 for the Set Bonuses.)

Don't forget a Strength stim!

My stat breakdown (I can't log in so not 100% accurate but I can ballpark it)

1765 Strength

23058 HP

33% Defense

20% Shield

20% Absorb

200 Power (ballparking this, not sure exactly)

105% Accuracy

30% Crit

70% Surge

I duelled a friend of mine, a Rage Jug, who regularly pulls 600k DPS in warzones. Out of a dozen duels, I won 11 of them. I run 27/12/2 Talent build. I also use a pair of Battlemaster Implants which are no longer available for purchase.

With 33% Defense, and 50% with Saber Ward, that is 83% Defense for 12 seconds (with the first 2 seconds 100%). My Endure Pain ran out, and I was left with 1 HP. I popped Saber Ward, and for the next 12 seconds, I parried everything he did, and I won (he was mad, bro). That is way better than Shield+Absorb will ever do for you, and they take up way too many slots for minimal benefit.

Basically, going full tank is a long, losing battle, whereas hybrid is a medium length, winning battle. You still won't put out as much DPS as a pure class, but you can still make a dent. If you go full tank, people can pretty much just ignore you as you tickle them. If you go hybrid, your increased damage along with your superiour survivability can add up to some pretty impressive scoreboard DPS. Assuming you have a healer worth guarding, that is. But that holds true for both hybrid and full tank. Either way, your job is to guard the healer. Hybrid is better able to do so imo, because it actually poses a threat to the person attacking your healer.

Edited by Arlanon

I'm still unsure about my 28/12/1 (no Crushing Blow, but with Unstoppable), since it's solid for PvE, and a bit more tanky for PvP, especially Huttball... I do miss Brutality and/or Ruin tho for more dps...

Maybe 28/?/7 is better. I don't like having half of Immortal tree hybrid, I could go dps in that case all the way... I just like Unstoppable so much...

Edited by dvametragluposti

I could have sworn that I replied to this thread last night... oh well, here goes again.

You're asking for a "best" setup, but that depends on what you want to do in PvP. 2pc vindi is going to appear in every possible one though, because 8% heal on intercede is so good.

Popular builds include 29/12, 18/23 and 19/22. Check out threads (still on the front page) in the jugg forums for details.

What i run for guarding my healer and being the best support i can be in 29/12/0:

2 Piece PvE Tank Set Bonus: 1 second extra on Blade Turning (originally 2 second, gives 100% ranged and melee defenses after activating saber ward.) An extra 2 seconds on invincible.

2 Piece Vindicator (PvP) set bonus, 8% health on Intercede.

To quickly min/max your gear, buy WH War Leader boots, and replace your mods and enhancements with them. Defense gives 100% mitigation of white damage where as shield only partially mitigates NON CRITICAL damage. Also, when you parry a force leap, you dont get rooted (very handy for huttball), also deflecting legshot.

You want to get 4 Guardian Armoring 27s 1 for belt, 1 for bracer, and then 2 for your PvE gear (You can put these in the tioneese gear and maintain the set bonus.

I'll just take the quick and easy path, as Vader did, and tell you what I run with.

Start by buying the Vindicator armor. You'll want the set bonus from that to give you HP every time you Intercede. Pop Endure Pain, Warzone Medpack, then Intercede, and you get a metric ****ton of HP back. If you have no healer worth guarding (or he is dead) be sure to set a Focus Target and Intercede as soon as it is off CD, every time. ReFocus when your Healer returns.

Buy a bunch of Boots and put the Defense mod in every single piece you have. This will take some time and a lot of comms.

Here's where it gets tricky. You have to look at your Strength, Endurance, Power, Crit, Surge, and Accuracy. Use Enhancements, Color Crystals, and Augments, to get those values up to where you want them.

You can get away with a pair of crafted 27 Armorings. Put one in your Belt and one in your Chest. (This allows you to skip buying the Vindicator chest, as it is the most expensive piece. You only need 4 for the Set Bonuses.)

Don't forget a Strength stim!

My stat breakdown (I can't log in so not 100% accurate but I can ballpark it)

1765 Strength

23058 HP

33% Defense

20% Shield

20% Absorb

200 Power (ballparking this, not sure exactly)

105% Accuracy

30% Crit

70% Surge

I duelled a friend of mine, a Rage Jug, who regularly pulls 600k DPS in warzones. Out of a dozen duels, I won 11 of them. I run 27/12/2 Talent build. I also use a pair of Battlemaster Implants which are no longer available for purchase.

With 33% Defense, and 50% with Saber Ward, that is 83% Defense for 12 seconds (with the first 2 seconds 100%). My Endure Pain ran out, and I was left with 1 HP. I popped Saber Ward, and for the next 12 seconds, I parried everything he did, and I won (he was mad, bro). That is way better than Shield+Absorb will ever do for you, and they take up way too many slots for minimal benefit.

Basically, going full tank is a long, losing battle, whereas hybrid is a medium length, winning battle. You still won't put out as much DPS as a pure class, but you can still make a dent. If you go full tank, people can pretty much just ignore you as you tickle them. If you go hybrid, your increased damage along with your superior survivability can add up to some pretty impressive scoreboard DPS. Assuming you have a healer worth guarding, that is. But that holds true for both hybrid and full tank. Either way, your job is to guard the healer. Hybrid is better able to do so imo, because it actually poses a threat to the person attacking your healer.

I understand why people run this spec but have you ever tested its viability in a Ranked comp?

To me it just seems like your stats are a little spread out... In ranked, a tanks goal is to guard a healer, and swap guards depending on who is getting focused. You are squishier then the average tank and in ranked you have to stick with your healer (i assume you know this since you know to focus target him). But if you are taunting, snaring, pushing, stunning, and mezzing the enemy DPS, why do you need these DPS stats? you arn't, or shouldn't be, attacking enemy healers as this leaves your teams healers wide open.

It is possible you run with a different composition, if it works for you, let me know. Also the 2 point you put in rage, I assume they are in either ravager or decimate... Personally i find Dark Blood to be a reasoning for going up so high in Immortal. 5 seconds on endure can make a huge difference, it could mean an extra intercede, it can make the difference between your healer have 50 force and 150 force, its very situational, also, the 4% mitigation on internal/elemental is great against DoT specs.

Depends on the route you want to go and the resources and/or players you have at your disposal. I never queue warzones without two dps and a healer while I'm on my PvP tank. If you're solo queueing and looking to be a regular warzone hero, then Arlanon's advice is what you need. If you're looking to actually be a tank and commit to the play style with proper group comps, then there are a few changes to be made.

With regards to set bonuses, anyone who gets the four piece PvP tank set bonus is a tosser. As anyone who has played longer than a month will tell you, the two piece vindicator is the route you want to take for your first set bonus. Second set bonus allows for some freedom however. I prefer using the two piece PvE set bonus (1 extra second Blade Turning, 2 extra seconds Immortal/Warding Call). You can achieve that set bonus by sticking in either generic "War Hero's Rage Armoring 27s" from Belt/Bracers if you're looking to keep your expertise up, or by using generic Guardian Armoring 27's.

On the WH tier, Arlanon is correct, the boots have the best mod in them, however, again if you're looking for that pure tanky objective playing route, then you should use both the Mod and Enhancement in everything. Just keep buying those boots and replace all mods/enhances with them. On the EWH tier, the mod and enhancement can be found in the gloves, which is nice and convenient.

Implants/Earpieces. The BM implants are now 2nd BiS, use the EWH Bulwark Implants when you get around to it. The BM Earpiece is still BiS however.

Augment everything for endurance, replace crystals in your lightsaber/shield with Indestructible crystals. Use custom belt/bracers with Guardian 27 Armorings and the Mod found in the WH Boots or EWH Gloves. Choose one of your five pieces not necessary for a set bonus and stick another 27 Armoring in that. Use relics of Imperiling Serenity. Use a fortitude stim.

Stat breakdown (personally)

28337 Hitpoints

49.11 Damage Reduction

33.11 Defense Chance

42.62 Shield Chance

20% Absorp

1058 Expertise

Ask Mr Robot Profile to examine in depth my gearing.

Again, this is catering to a very specific style of game play. I play with a group of the best players on the server and my DPS isn't an issue. I'm there to not die and prevent other people from dying. I'm there to guard nodes for minutes on end without reinforcements.

As Arlanon mentioned:

Basically, going full tank is a long, losing battle, whereas hybrid is a medium length, winning battle. You still won't put out as much DPS as a pure class, but you can still make a dent. If you go full tank, people can pretty much just ignore you as you tickle them.

Yeah, I'm likely to lose any 1v1, but I'm not there to win 1v1's. I'm there to take punishment.

So in the end, depends on the roll you intend to fill, or the play style you choose to embrace.

I understand why people run this spec but have you ever tested its viability in a Ranked comp?

Unfortunately no, I was away for the better part of the year, and once I'd finished minmaxxing my gear, my sister in law's half brain damaged sister (not exaggerating, she really is) left a bunch of garbage and dirty laundry around the basement for her dogs to sleep in, and now the entire basement is infested with fleas. My sister quarantined the basement, and has been talking for a month now about "flea bombing it tomorrow" but tomorrow will probably not come until sometime this summer.

As my computer is down there, I can no longer play. I'd do it myself, but the heater has to be turned off so we don't asplode, and since it's been 4 degrees here all month, she will probably kick me out if I do.

But I'll let ya know.

EDIT: I've got a minute here so I'll explain why I don't like Shield+Absorb.

Let's assume you have 30% Defense, 50% Shield, and 50% Absorb. Darth Billybob attacks! Here he comes!

Defense negates 30% of his incoming White Damage upfront. 70% of it proceeds to the Shield Roll.

50% Shield applies to 100% of the 70% that comes in at this point. 50% of 70% is 35% of total incoming White Damage being Shielded.

Now it is time to apply your 50% Absorb. 50% of 35% is 17.5% of incoming White damage being negated by Shield+Absorb.

White Damage, is of course, only a portion of Darth Billybob's total damage. This number can be arbitrary, we will just assume that 50% of his attacks are White, and 50% are Yellow.

So your 50% Shield and 50% Absorb are only negating 8.75% of Darth Billybob's damage to you. That is very underwhelming for a two stat investment. Factor in, additionally, that Shield+Absorb only apply when you are being attacked. How much is all that Shield+Absorb really doing for you?

This is why I favor skimping on Shield+Absorb for offensive stats. Accuracy, Power, Crit, and Surge are ALWAYS in use. And since all of my offensive stats are low on Diminishing Returns, I'm getting quite a bit of bang for my buck.

This allows me to solo guard a node, with enough damage+survivability to win a 1v1, and live long enough to call for reinforcements if I see 2 or more coming my way. It also allows me to contribute some damage in group battles.

If I want more HP, I could use a HP Stim instead of Strength. I could also swap to Endurance+Power Augments, instead of Strength+Endurance, which would net me around 840 HP I'm guessing but lose 252 strength for a gain of 168 Power. I like to push Strength due to the Talent that gives a bonus % to my Strength total. I'm also only using one crafted 27 Armoring at this point (I think), as well as a Crit Crystal in my Saber. Pushing more HP is certainly not difficult.

Edited by Arlanon

Don't forget that shield doesn't mitigate critical damage, so i have read.

There are two roll tables

1 - Accuracy vs Defense

2 - Crit vs Shield vs Normal Hit

If an attack gets defended in Roll 1, it does not proceed to Roll 2.

40% Crit

50% Shield

10% Normal Hit

is what Roll 2 looks like.

50% Crit

50% Shield

0% Normal Hit

demonstrates how Normal Hit got pushed off the table.

60% Crit

40% Shield

0% Normal Hit

If they have like a Crit CD, it trumps Shield. Shield can still happen, but like Normal Hit, it is getting pushed off the Roll Table.

Edited by Arlanon