Companions in the wrong storyline

davanev

As an SI I REALLY don't want Ashara to become Dark for role playing reasons. Why? So I can trust her.

Basically despite Xalek saying "I would be honored to call you father," plenty of Sith murder their parents. Plus he also says "One day the student will become the master." Yeah, he became my apprentice after bashing in another apprentice's head. I want an apprentice I can trust, and if that means she has to follow both Jedi and Sith codes then so be it (besides I couldn't romance her comfortably if I thought she'd pull a Quin on me).

Doesn't anyone else see the advantage of having a Neutral Ashara rather than a DS Ashara? Heck, remember that "treachery is the way of the Sith." Ergo, I don't want Ashara embracing the Sith way - she'll pull a Praying Mantis or Black Widow on me if she ever truly becomes a Dark Side Sith :eek:

I tend to RP my characters to sort of, kind of make my companion I'm with happy, or not so 'omg I hate that option! -300!'.

But I HAVE found that my LIs fit each girls' personalities best.

My Sith Juggernaut relied heavily on Quinn's genius in tactics and his intellect. She asked his opinion on everything in the class storyline. He agreed with just about every decision I made, except when it came to obtaining Jaesa. I went the LS way and he was giving me -20s left and right (or is it negative 1s? can't remember). But he did not agree with some of my LS choices. The majority of LS decisions he liked. So he's best suited for neutral players. But as I said, I always roll with my LIs, no matter what my spec is and what they are.

My Bounty Hunter is a powertech defense spec and she rolled with Torian. Let me say, the two of us kicked *** so well, I soloed my class story and finished it at 46. And my armor was orange and not even that good.

My SI rolled with Andronikos and he agrees with the majority of her decisions. She's mostly first/second tree, but they compliment each other well and he fits her personality.

My Jedi Knight rolls with Doc. She took a 500 DS hit romancing and marrying him, but his personality matches hers perfectly. She's LS, but she's a freak. Yes, I said a FREAK. And she and Doc are a perfect match.

My agent is LS and Vector fit her to a tee compared to Kaliyo. She hated every single decision I made. So I just took the negative hits. I didn't like her anti-social behavior.

Corso fit my smuggler's personality. Sure, I had wanted her to be a **** at first, but with Corso's constant jealousy, I changed how I played her some. Heck, he was her first lover because of this.

I'm on my trooper now, trying to get high enough to finish chapter 2 and romance and marry Jorgan. He agrees with just about everything I say, so he'll be easy. And he fits her personality too. She's not 100% woo republic, but close enough to have him like her decisions.

Generally speaking, I think most companions fit fairly well; Most classes have the majority of their companions line up with a potential archetype (and thus a foil to the others), with maybe one companion like Blizz serving as a more eccentric character.

For instance, the Bounty Hunter's companions can be broken down into; (spoilered for brevity)

Mako: Principled Hunter with a heart of gold. Her growth into the hunting business is designed to mirror the hunter's as well.

Gault: The Mercenary, who's out to retire rich as soon as possible

Torion: The Archetypical Honorable Mandalorian

Blizz: The somewhat naive Tag-along kid. Comic Relief

Skadge: The psychopath who revels in violence and cruelty (although I really wish we'd had a companion who didn't come off as creepy as he did in his introduction)

The trooper;

Jorgan: Hard as nails sergeant/ XO, who's a veteran of more than a few conflicts

Elara: By the book soldier who knows every regulation.

M1-4X: FOR THE REPUBLIC! The ultra-patriot

Tanno Vik: The corrupt soldier who's running a smuggling ring or a distillery.

Yuun: The spiritual soldier

The Sith Warrior;

Vette: LS warrior with a snarky side

Quinn: The Empire is my life/ honorable warrior

LS Jaesa: Purity Sue warrior

DS Jaesa: Psychopath

Pierce: The Blood Knight warrior, revels in combat.

Broonmark: DS Jaesa Mk. 2 overlapping with Pierce (Needs more characterization)

The Agent;

Kaliyo: Corrupt hedonist, as much a foil to most agents as anything else.

Vector: Principled Patriot

... The Doctor who's name I always confuse with the Final boss of Lost Island now: The archetypical spook

Temple: Principled, but ultimately the empire comes first. Also serves as something of a naive outsider to the intelligence game.

SCORPIO: I have no clue. Never met her yet.

The smuggler's more a collection of people who were tied to Han Solo's story, albiet with twists involved.

Corso: Luke w/o force sensitivity, but with less opportunity for character growth and more whining.

Bowdaar: DUR

Risha: Sassier Leia

Avaki: Boba Fett who is now working with the smuggler

Guss: Lando before becoming respectable. Comic relief

Those are the classes I've gotten fairly far in; My Knight, Consular, and Inquisitor are all in chapter 1 (actually, the latter two are still in the prologue)

Edited by KorinHyvek
formatting error

I agree that it is nice to have variety in companions, to suit different alignments and play styles. So a companion that seems like a "poor fit" to one may be a "perfect fit" for another. ^^

That said, sometimes I feel like Tharan Cedrax would be far better suited to being a Smuggler companion. He doesn't even like the Force, and though he claims to want adventure, he's a pacifist and would probably much prefer a Smuggler's idea of adventure (sneaking around, shooting from a distance, slipping away from trouble, being crafty, etc). He's kinda grown on me, and I don't think he's a horrible fit for the JC or anything . . . I just think he'd work really well as a Smuggler companion.

I doubt Tharan is a real pacifist. He developed and sold weapons (I think to the Hutts). I bet his pacifism exists only in theory. I could really imagin him sitting at his computer and developing the Death Star and then saying: "Well, of course war is bad."

I doubt Tharan is a real pacifist. He developed and sold weapons (I think to the Hutts). I bet his pacifism exists only in theory. I could really imagin him sitting at his computer and developing the Death Star and then saying: "Well, of course war is bad."

Does he ever say he's a pacifist other than that canned comment he makes during combat? I always thought that was a joke.

No matter, Theran doesn't seem to have much reason to follow a Jedi around anyway. But he does follow the JC crew's trend of making no sense at all so, yay consistency I guess.

Edited by Pubsam

Does he ever say he's a pacifist other than that canned comment he makes during combat? I always thought that was a joke.

No matter, Theran doesn't seem to have much reason to follow a Jedi around anyway. But he does follow the JC crew's trend of making no sense at all so, yay consistency I guess.

Zenith makes sense, I think. And I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Nadia should make sense too. (As companion, not as romance option.) I didn't get her yet, though, since I haven't finished Belsavis yet.

I doubt Tharan is a real pacifist. [snip]

True, I think I could have phrased that better. :) I don't think he's an actual pacifist, so much as he just doesn't like combat and seems like the kind of guy that would rather be sneaky and clever -- which Smugglers can often be very good at. ^_~ He's grown on me as a Consular companion, I just think he'd like my Smuggler's brand of "adventure" better.

Consular companions are a somewhat odd bunch, I agree, and though they manage to work pretty well, IMHO most could work pretty well for another class too. xD Qyzen could go with a Knight or Smuggler just as reasonably, and Iresso I could see with either a Knight or a Trooper (though he doesn't really get along with Aric!). Nadia could be the Knight's Padawan too I think, though that much earnest, gung-ho heroic spirit on one ship might be overkill, lol.

Having used Zenith from Balmorra til level 50 though, I think he is actually a very good fit, and of all the classes probably works with JC the best (a good foil, and all that). The Knight seems more action/combat oriented than the JC, so doesn't have as much need for someone like Zenith. I can't see Zenith having any interest in sticking around with a Smuggler, and he seems too independent to fit in with Havoc Squad.

Edited by Gwena

If you ask me Ashara and Jaesa belong should have been in each other's storylines. It makes ZERO sense that the Sith Warrior of all people gets the courptable companion.

I think Jaesa is to primitive and brutal for the Sith Inquisitor. And Ashara would fit the Sith Warrior even less then she fits the Inquisitor.

It sounds at least possible that the inquisitor tricks a Jedi into following him. A Sith Warrior killingmaschine couldn't do it.

As I said, Ashara would fit the Inquisitor perfectly if she sould be corruptable during her companion story line.

Well to me it makes more sense that the Sith Inquisitor could manipulate and re-shape Jaesa into a brutal killing machine, because if s/he made Jaesa into another clever scheming Sith, she would be a threat.

And Ashara has a sense of honor and duty that would fit the SW better then the SI. I mean I could at least in theory see Ashara respecting and following the SW because s/he could at least uphold some of the values that she respects in a broad sort of sense. With the SI you have to play the character VERY specifically for Ashara to make any sense.

Well to me it makes more sense that the Sith Inquisitor could manipulate and re-shape Jaesa into a brutal killing machine, because if s/he made Jaesa into another clever scheming Sith, she would be a threat.

And Ashara has a sense of honor and duty that would fit the SW better then the SI. I mean I could at least in theory see Ashara respecting and following the SW because s/he could at least uphold some of the values that she respects in a broad sort of sense. With the SI you have to play the character VERY specifically for Ashara to make any sense.

I haven't played SW much into chapter 2, but does the dark side SW really have that much honor?

Also, as far as I know, Ashara values rational choices, not honor. And the SI seems more like the one who could make up things that seem rational.

And I think you could play nearly every kind of Sith inquisitor if you assume he lies to Ashara all the time because she is useful to him.

(But maybe it's just that I really dislike DS Jaesa as a character. She seems like an over the top, stereotype super-apprentice. More like what male Sith dream about at night, instead of a real character.)

I didn't feel like any companions were completely off, it fit the situation, maybe Ashara is little off with claiming to be a Jedi, but it does make sense in her story, I am half way through her Affection so I do look forward to see how it develops.

Though what I really lacked in both Sith story lines was a companion that would be as evil as my own character, its so hard to get Affection with anyone just for doing stuff Sith would do. Khem in Inquisitor story is ok, he is kinda evil, but he speaks alien and his appearance doesn't change with armour, I found it really hard to relate to him. Best starting character in my opinion was Kaliyo, she would be so awesome for as a Sith companion because she is ******. I hope eventually when you do not have to stick with your original 5 companions there will be more evil ones for Sith that you get soon in story and not half way or when its basically over.

Having used Zenith from Balmorra til level 50 though, I think he is actually a very good fit, and of all the classes probably works with JC the best (a good foil, and all that). The Knight seems more action/combat oriented than the JC, so doesn't have as much need for someone like Zenith. I can't see Zenith having any interest in sticking around with a Smuggler, and he seems too independent to fit in with Havoc Squad.

Whaaa? Zenith deciding to join me on my ship was the biggest WTH ever. This guy is a freedom fighter who's spent years liberating a planet. Finally, yay! Balmorra is free, and Zenith is like, "Yeah, I guess I'll just leave now." Even if he is desperate to be a political player, I simply can't believe that he'd want to leave Balmorra. Further, he's officially the Balmorran representative to the Rift Alliance, why is he still taking orders from your Jedi? As for how he's in any way qualified for that diplomatic position in the first place...

And later his conversations are all about Balmorran politics and his aspirations. Dude. You want to be a Balmorran politician you should probably live there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zenith a lot, but his story is poor. Maybe he fits best with a JC, but his story doesn't suit him to be a companion at all.

Skadge is kind of sad--clearly a victim of bullying and thus a bully himself.

The only one I'm having trouble with is the SW--as a marauder, Quinn actually suits the play style best, but geez, I do not like the guy. I'm thinking about gearing up Pierce or Broonmark to tank.

Clearly, other people run with different companions, because they have created different philosophies and those companions fit in well.

True, but you don't always get said companions until very late in the game. A psychotic DS bounty hunter would get along with Skadge just fine, but you don't get him till act 3.

On your marauder, I'd actually recommend running Jaesa. Before my Sentinel got a healer, he teamed with Kira 24-7, and the battles were risky, but fast. Just learn the right rotations, and only the toughest of elites can stand against you.

Whaaa? Zenith deciding to join me on my ship was the biggest WTH ever. This guy is a freedom fighter who's spent years liberating a planet. Finally, yay! Balmorra is free, and Zenith is like, "Yeah, I guess I'll just leave now." Even if he is desperate to be a political player, I simply can't believe that he'd want to leave Balmorra. Further, he's officially the Balmorran representative to the Rift Alliance, why is he still taking orders from your Jedi? As for how he's in any way qualified for that diplomatic position in the first place...

And later his conversations are all about Balmorran politics and his aspirations. Dude. You want to be a Balmorran politician you should probably live there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zenith a lot, but his story is poor. Maybe he fits best with a JC, but his story doesn't suit him to be a companion at all.

If I understood it correctly, it was a political decision. He was the freedom fighter on Balmorra and should have been part of Tai Cordans government. That was what he wanted and what he expected.

But Tai didn't want it. Probably they would disagree on many topics. Probably Zenith didn't fit into the government he imagined. But on the other hand, he couldn't just ignore him because of his role in the resistance. So what did he do? He shunted him off to your ship as "representative to the Rift Alliance", even if Tai is on the holo in nearly every conversation.

But Zenith doesn't give up and still tries to get hes place in Balmorran politics.

And who does he take orders and follows you around? In the first conversation he said something along the lines: "The security here is bad." so I made him my personal security chief. ("Well, now I have you to watch my back.") He liked that. So it is kind of his second job now.

You know, the point of these companions are to clash with your character. Whoever you make them into, you'll dislike someone on your crew.

Which was a great idea - right up to the point where they removed our ability to throw them out of the airlock.

If I understood it correctly, it was a political decision. He was the freedom fighter on Balmorra and should have been part of Tai Cordans government. That was what he wanted and what he expected.

But Tai didn't want it. Probably they would disagree on many topics. Probably Zenith didn't fit into the government he imagined. But on the other hand, he couldn't just ignore him because of his role in the resistance. So what did he do? He shunted him off to your ship as "representative to the Rift Alliance", even if Tai is on the holo in nearly every conversation.

But Zenith doesn't give up and still tries to get hes place in Balmorran politics.

And who does he take orders and follows you around? In the first conversation he said something along the lines: "The security here is bad." so I made him my personal security chief. ("Well, now I have you to watch my back.") He liked that. So it is kind of his second job now.

As I said, even if he's desperate to get into politics, I find it implausible he'd want to leave Balmorra. Without Cordin's approval I'd see him staying on Balmorra and organizing grass-roots to get him that opposition leader position he wanted. And in the main story once he gets that position, his reason for staying on the Jedi ship...?

And by taking orders, I meant that he functions like any other companion who do whatever you say whenever you want. Zenith has an important(?) diplomatic post, but I'm constantly sending him on long Underworld Trading missions, pulling him off the ship to shoot Belsavis miscreants, etc.

All the other companions are vested in your character somewhat. Nadia's your padawan, Iresso's officially stationed there, Qyzen thinks you're a demigod... maybe not Tharan, but you've provided a comfortable lifestyle for him so he's likely dug in like a tick. Also, there's not anywhere else he wants to be. Zenith dislikes Jedi stuff and is pursuing a dream that will realistically require him to live on Balmorra.

I like Zenith's character, there's some interesting ways you could introduce a cold, ruthless type into the JC's story, but this approach was just... bizarre.