"Need" Biometric Crystal Alloy

I'd say need is for when you are needing to crafting something to better yourself or other guildies, and Greed if you plan to sell what you make, Unless your the only one with max 400 skill...then need it up :D

BUT as always when in doubt ask the group!

*and technically i guess i shouldn't reply as my highest is 47, but i consider what i said to be true enough. :D

I always greed. Most high-end characters should have enough credits to pick up a crystal or two off the GTN if needed. If one IS needed most people should ask to need on it when the instance starts. A good reputation for yourself or you guild tag sure beats a bad one in these situations.

Most guilds have looting policies for guild runs. Check with your guild master for this if there is no official looting policies.

For pug runs or mixed runs (guild run with 1 or 2 pug members), ask before needing on crafting items. Almost everyone has a crafting skill that need biometric crystal alloys, and for most pug groups I ran with the convention is to hit greed.

You dont make much with these so I tend to have 1 in stock and 'Greed' mostly, but saying that if you want to use it to craft something (even to sell) then you should 'Need' it.

'Greed' IMO should be used if you cannot use the item yourself but intend to sell it on the GTN.

Because there is so much disparity on what constitutes a valid need roll and what doesn't the best thing to do in the case of random group makeup is to establish loot rules PRIOR to the killing of the first boss.

There are plenty of people (myself included) that believe needing on the biometric crystal alloy is fine so long as you intend to use it in crafting an item (whether it is for you or someone else). However some people believe greeding is the only thing acceptable for crafting mats.

Best thing to do is establish loot rules prior to start. If someone has a problem they can leave.

Needing without asking is a ninja on crafting materials as far as I am concern. I have no problem should you ask first, but I am BioChem too, so doing it without asking is considered a ninja to me. If you ask, then I will pass on it like I have everything else in the FP and if you were likeable and asked you may even get a few extra if I am convinced it is a real need.

need 'em if you need 'em.

it's certainly not "a ninja" as a previous guy posted.. if you somehow swapped it to master loot, and took it, sure that's "a ninja." each player has the opportunity to roll. if you greed because you "though everyone would" then you're a fool for passing on something you needed.. and if you didn't need it, then why would you be upset if someone else did?

need 'em if you need 'em.

it's certainly not "a ninja" as a previous guy posted.. if you somehow swapped it to master loot, and took it, sure that's "a ninja." each player has the opportunity to roll. if you greed because you "though everyone would" then you're a fool for passing on something you needed.. and if you didn't need it, then why would you be upset if someone else did?

no. bca should be greeded by all. pretty much everyone can use them for something - if someone really needs they can either ask up front (as pretty much every normal person will assume you'll greed otherwise) or buy one off the GTN afterwards if they greed and don't win.

if anyone ever asked for it up front i'd happily pass. Needing is something a 12 year old would do.

I roll depending on either people. If 1 person needs on them, I will too. Everyone has crafting professions. Everyone can benifit from them in one way or the other. If everyone greeds, then so will I. But I'm not about to let someone else ninja them from me.

This is exactly what i do as well. If someone needs on one than I will. If greed then I do the same. I can always use them to make gear for myself or companions, but I can also buy them or run another FP.

no. bca should be greeded by all. pretty much everyone can use them for something - if someone really needs they can either ask up front (as pretty much every normal person will assume you'll greed otherwise) or buy one off the GTN afterwards if they greed and don't win.

if anyone ever asked for it up front i'd happily pass. Needing is something a 12 year old would do.

If you need it, why would you roll greed? If pretty much everyone can use them, sounds like they should need it too. Letting the group know is perfectly fine, but since you are equally entitled to the loot, and the need button is for items you need... well, I'll let you do the math.

Rolling greed on something you needed and then crying when someone else needed it and rolled need is something a 12 year old would do. (see what I did there?)

If an item you need drops, why would you roll greed then go buy one?

If you are about to tell me that most people will just need them to sell them on the GTN, why doesn't the same apply to columi loot? It's worth 10k at the vendor... somehow things change when you need gear? use the tools for which they are intended: if you need a drop, roll need.

Is "need" ing these appropriate if you are 400 biochem and just want to do endgame crafting? Or are people expected to greed them? Just looking for opinions and information on what happens more often =) Thanks.

I've never seen everyone select greed for Biometrics. If you choose greed, you will never get one. (Even when selecting ''need'', I usually don't get one -- 1-5 HMs perhaps.

Biometrics are the most annoying thing for people who enjoy crafting.

Edited by MuratReis

That is a joke right?

I have over 20 in my inventory, have put at least that many in my guild bank and have given away a bunch too and I have never needed one. I just do my dailies and weekly and hit greed. If you don’t ask, then it is a ninja as far as I am concerned.

If you need it, why would you roll greed? If pretty much everyone can use them, sounds like they should need it too. Letting the group know is perfectly fine, but since you are equally entitled to the loot, and the need button is for items you need... well, I'll let you do the math.

Rolling greed on something you needed and then crying when someone else needed it and rolled need is something a 12 year old would do. (see what I did there?)

If an item you need drops, why would you roll greed then go buy one?

If you are about to tell me that most people will just need them to sell them on the GTN, why doesn't the same apply to columi loot? It's worth 10k at the vendor... somehow things change when you need gear? use the tools for which they are intended: if you need a drop, roll need.

Because need is a relative thing and without asking first the assumption is that you are trying to pull one over on the rest of the group.

I'm with Gabigool on this one. If you ask, I have no problem with you clicking need. But just click need and you go on my suspect list.

This thread prompts me to ask another question, similar in peculiarity, so to speak.

Considering that most people I play with in Heroics are well geared, is it appropriate to need gear for companions?

Personally, unlike mats, if you're already geared, you're not gonna necessarily want more of the same gear, so why not Need if you personally want for companion? Now, do understand, I always ask first, or at least wait for group to all greed for that particular piece of gear before I make my decision.

Anyway, opinions?

In Random FPs I usually only ''NEED" the BC when I intend to use it to craft Equip for the Char I'm currently playing. Not for toons, not for companions, not for guildies.

With Biochems and Cybertechs who want it for medkits, stims and granates. There I always 'Greed'

As for 'Needing' for companions, ask at the beginning of the FP otherwise I would consider it Ninjaing

Edited by MaZeW

Now, do understand, I always ask first, or at least wait for group to all greed for that particular piece of gear before I make my decision.

Anyway, opinions?

Needing for comps is a no-go without asking. I've greeded for many an item my companion could use just to have the last guy need for his companion and saying "but you all greeded, you didn't need them. My comp needs it."

Needing for comps is a no-go without asking. I've greeded for many an item my companion could use just to have the last guy need for his companion and saying "but you all greeded, you didn't need them. My comp needs it."

That always annoys me, generally when I start off I say that I'm gearing up X companion and will need only on items for them and will pass on all others. Normally this works fine, if someone says they need the gear for their main and would be polite about it I normally go along with the group anyway, if however they become hostile about I apologise to the non hostile group members and drop group.

• 2 weeks later...

When not in guild run it's always tricky (and usually nobody cares to talk about it anyway when FP starts), so my point of view on Biometric's and other stuff is:

- Biometric Crystal Alloy: I usually wait a bit to see what others do, rolling on the other stuff in the meanwhile, and then I decide what to choose. If someone chooses Need, I'll choose Need. If everyone else chooses Greed, I'll choose Greed.

Not sure if all people use those crystals for crafting, but I have Armscraft, and: if I get them on the roll, great, I'll have use for them for that crafting skill. If not, no problem.

- Regular non-Class stuff (green/blue/orange): Being currently a lvl50 (columi/BH/Rakata geared) , I always Greed, like everyone else (for selling/reverse-Eng.). (Orange stuff: while leveling the toon I choose Need when it's my stats and I need the item/mods inside, Greed if it's lower level than mine, Pass when it's not my stat based (willpower, strength...)).

- Valuable non-Class stuff (Exotech): Always Pass on stuff that doesn't have my stats, like Willpower, Strength, etc... I leave them to others to use on their companions (or to sell).

- Class locked valuable stuff (schematics/Tionese/Columi/Rakata): Always Pass if it's not my class, others will certainly find use for it. Greed on my class Tionese/Columi stuff if I don't need those for me, but could use to equip a regular companion I use, or sell later. Need on my class Rakata/schematics if I need it for me or for the companion I use the most (if I already have the item on me and regular companion, I'll choose Pass).

On OPs it's more easy since I do them with the guild. :)

I did HM EV yesterday greeding on BCA's and got at least 1 when pushing greed.

When I run FP's with my level 40 smuggler I will often times I say up front that they can need on Cunning gear if they need for comps because I am usually over geared (My bf's 50 runs me for gear). Although it doesn't seem to drop any cunning gear lately, lol.

I ALWAYS pass on Jedi Knight gear on my shadow (I don't even have a STR comp), but everything else I hit "Greed" on. (Most of my comps are Tionese geared anyway, and plan to use my comms to get them all to columi, but anyway...)

I always hit greed, if someone needs it, that is ok, cuz they are like 10k on teh GTN on my server (cheap cheap!).

Edited by jeniyagyu