Dealing with Snipers.

Darth_Nihilis

It's funny against one, but usually you start to get their attention that they didn't melt you, so next time, you get all 3 enemy smashers on you at the same time. (not all maps are Huttball to where you can stay away.

Usually what happens is that they see you from distance and they decide to go to attack another place xD

"I cannot leap+smash that |@~€@ with 6k! Better find another place"

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my sniper, if you're melee, well odds are against you closing in. And most of the time, when you finally do close, I can knock you back or just finish you off, its the same on my gunslinger. The best counter to a sniper/gunslinger Ive seen, is having a healer to keep you alive long enough to do your damage. Im not going to blow my own horn, but 1v1, I can usually come out on top against most players. My advice, tag team and expect one of you to end up on your back.

So, you are saying: My defense can absorb 8k force damage? Something needs a nerf here.

I think i should stop commenting stuff like this. The man thinks Snipers are ovepowered.

It's funny against one, but usually you start to get their attention that they didn't melt you, so next time, you get all 3 enemy smashers on you at the same time. (not all maps are Huttball to where you can stay away.

Provided you are not alone and you have some support from your team, smash spec is not an issue at all against 35/3/3. Even if there are more of them on the battlefield. The only problem if he has a pocket healer.

Edited by NoTomorrow

smashbrother.

Again you are clueless.

Retaliation procs are a huge advantage to both jugs and maras, in particular maras. You would know this if you actually played the class and had even a remote clue about how the game mechanics actually work. But no, keep trolling. Keep spouting your crap without ever once trying it and keep thinking snipers beat maras lol.

smashbrother.

Again you are clueless.

Retaliation procs are a huge advantage to both jugs and maras, in particular maras. You would know this if you actually played the class and had even a remote clue about how the game mechanics actually work. But no, keep trolling. Keep spouting your crap without ever once trying it and keep thinking snipers beat maras lol.

I have two of them on my guardian. It's ****. Retaliation is for the most part terrible. Your terrible if you think defense relics are better than power ones.

Remember it's down the river, not across the stream.

Your are a straight up liar dude. If you ever once played the class you would know how much retaliation procced.

By your math - 25% of all abilities = white damage

5% chance to proc defense with enemy accuracy at 100% = 1.25% chance to actually proc a retaliation.

On my jug I proc every 6 seconds. My defense is 23% and i have the 5% accuracy debuff with smash.

On my marauder I proc all the time which considerably lowers my cloak of pain cooldown and gives me a sizeable burst damage boost.

If the game mechanics were as you said retaliation would never proc. The fact that it does should tell anyone with half a clue that you are wrong!

Your are a straight up liar dude. If you ever once played the class you would know how much retaliation procced.

By your math - 25% of all abilities = white damage

5% chance to proc defense with enemy accuracy at 100% = 1.25% chance to actually proc a retaliation.

On my jug I proc every 6 seconds. My defense is 23% and i have the 5% accuracy debuff with smash.

On my marauder I proc all the time which considerably lowers my cloak of pain cooldown and gives me a sizeable burst damage boost.

If the game mechanics were as you said retaliation would never proc. The fact that it does should tell anyone with half a clue that you are wrong!

So your brilliant idea is to wear defense relics to proc one meh ability a bit more, instead of wearing power ones which increases your damage with everything. Your logic is infallible sir. You win the internets.

Easiest way to beat snipers with a Warrior is to use line of site to break one or two snipe or ambushes and they always tend to get frustrated, get up and run to another spot, then you can close the gap with leap when they do, otherwise or if there's no LOS breaks simply run away from them out of their range, the whole time have force leap clicking away so the second they reposition back in range, you can leap to them.

Ignoring you from now on smashmonkey. This is now the 2nd thread where you've come in claiming you know what your talking about and each time you've been shown to be completely ignorant. You then resort to inventing false statistic and grossly oversimplifying the variables of a complex process to try and prove your point. All you are doing is misleading yourself and others. I'm done with you. Ignored. Edited by JackNader

Ignoring you from now on smashmonkey. This is now the 2nd thread where you've come in claiming you know what your talking about and each time you've been shown to be completely ignorant. You then resort to inventing false statistic and grossly oversimplifying the variables of a complex process to try and prove your point. All you are doing is misleading yourself and others. I'm done with you. Ignored.

Jack you should know he tells himself that stuff so he can feel better. But deep down he knows the truth. It seems all snipers are that way lol. :p

Jack you should know he tells himself that stuff so he can feel better. But deep down he knows the truth. It seems all snipers are that way lol. :p

Wait, wait. So you also use defense relics instead of power ones like that idiot above?

Edited by Smashbrother

Hello there, I am a sniper specializing on defeating Sentinels, i take this more or less as a job given the current meta game and how important is to shutdown sentinels/maras in pvp. If you want to see how does it look for the other side, please consult my Sniper guide, the Sniper vs. Marauder section, you will learn quite a lot of stuff what we are doing against you.

Here are a few short tips for you if you plan to engage a sniper:

1. Learn to recognize the sniper specs. Just as your specs are entirely different so are ours and you cannot go against every sniper with the same mentality. Snipers lack stances, but they have certain specific abilities like interrogation probe for engineering, plasma probe for engineering, corrosive grenade for lethality. If you see neither of this than its Marksmanship (which you should fear the most).

2. Learn to predict your chance depending on what matchup you have. Some specs like Rage against lethality without ballistic dampers are quite decent if you happen to close the distance. The same Rage against a good 35/3/3 MM sniper with entrench available will almost always get you killed no matter how much effort you put into it. (simply because he can mitigate almost your entire smash damage).

3. If you really want to be very strong against snipers, then go carnage. It forces the sniper to react extremely quickly during very short window to your extremely high burst attacks. With some good opportunistic approach you will be in an excelent to position to beat him before he can even react. Remember, your Carnage burst matures even faster than MM burst. Lethality should be not difficult at all to handle. Also carnage with incredible speed, root cleansing force camo and 10m obfuscate is amazing.

4. The sniper will probably have an answer for your every defensive CD. (not all are good at this though). You will need to learn to master the combination of them all, including obfuscate (which has a incredible importance for you).

5. Be opportunistic, watch for moments when he is out of some CDs. Full resolve carnage against a sniper without evasion is 100% kill.

6. Map awareness. Watch how he places himself. Sniper hugging a wall or pillar = good news for you.

7. Consider using PvP adrenals against your counter classes. It's the same thing i am doing against assassins and concealment.

8. Oh and against a Top MM sniper with full HP on huttball catwalks.. just forget it. Ask your assassin friend for help, or gunslinger to deal with him. Don't call for PTs, they are even worse cannon fodder than you.

9. A pocket scoundrel healer should allow you to easily facetank any sniper effortlessly. Consider premading with them.

10. Don't listen to anything Kettlebell will tell you. He doesn't know how to play against snipers :D

That's about it.

Long as we know about them as they do on us its fair to me p

Edited by antwillgreen

I don't really care about sniper on my sentinel. They can't carry the ball well. They can't heal. They aren't mobile. You can los them. They are highly susceptible to stealth melee classes, which I play one too. In group settings with a mix of classes they can't control the flow of the warzone like a good assassin, pyrotech, sentinel, or jugg.

I don't necessary see losing to a sniper in like huttball a bad thing so long as I got his health low and force him to use cd's, which means the next melee or range dps that runs into him should make short work of him. This removes the sniper from controlling the catwalks. What does become a problem is when you have two or three snipers in a match. In these matches especially huttball it more often becomes a stalemate with the team having so many snipers having no ball mobility. Thus, the game either ends with no one scoring or we barely score one or two and win the game.

Finally, snipers aren't mobile. What this means is you can always cloak and run away or los them and go find another fight until the time is right to attack them. Like when the ball carrier is trying to get through them. They will most likely not be targeting you so you can dps them.

If they don't have entrench and are not resolve cap I always strangulate them. If there are other melee or dps nearby you can really hurt a sniper when you force them out of cover. On my jugg I don't always bother trying to kill them. It's some times easier to knock them down and get them out the way than having to kill them. However, on my assassin they aren't very difficult and focus them if they become a problem.

Personally, I don't think the sniper class is in the same ball park like jugg, sentinels, maras, assassins,or pyros for dps. However, it is the best range class just not a major power house like a pyro, smash jugg/sentinel, or even an assassin with their ability to guard or steal objectives really well. I generally avoid 1v1, but it depends on the map and if I know they used up some or all of their cd's. If it's void, civil war, or hypergate you can some times cloak and pick up the hp boost nearby. Thus, guarantying you will be able to finish him off. As a last recourse you can run away after using cloak. There been times I done this and a team player comes and finish off the sniper or just run back to a base or continue on in huttball. However, some times you can get lucky and run away and regenerate. They some times follow you if you cloak or they don't move due to possibility of a stealthy stealing the node, base, ect. The only time you will 1v1 with a sniper is most likely if they are guarding an objective. Thus, they will generally not follow you very far if they follow you at all.

I have the following at 50: sniper, jug, guardian, assassin, sage, commando, sentinel, and pyro.

Edited by Knockerz

I don't really care about sniper on my sentinel. They can't carry the ball well. They can't heal. They aren't mobile. You can los them. They are highly susceptible to stealth melee classes, which I play one too. In group settings with a mix of classes they can't control the flow of the warzone like a good assassin, pyrotech, sentinel, or jugg.

I don't necessary see losing to a sniper in like huttball a bad thing so long as I got his health low and force him to use cd's, which means the next melee or range dps that runs into him should make short work of him. This removes the sniper from controlling the catwalks. What does become a problem is when you have two or three snipers in a match. In these matches especially huttball it more often becomes a stalemate with the team having so many snipers having no ball mobility. Thus, the game either ends with no one scoring or we barely score one or two and win the game.

Finally, snipers aren't mobile. What this means is you can always cloak and run away or los them and go find another fight until the time is right to attack them. Like when the ball carrier is trying to get through them. They will most likely not be targeting you so you can dps them.

If they don't have entrench and are not resolve cap I always strangulate them. If there are other melee or dps nearby you can really hurt a sniper when you force them out of cover. On my jugg I don't always bother trying to kill them. It's some times easier to knock them down and get them out the way than having to kill them. However, on my assassin they aren't very difficult and focus them if they become a problem.

Personally, I don't think the sniper class is in the same ball park like jugg, sentinels, maras, assassins,or pyros for dps. However, it is the best range class just not a major power house like a pyro, smash jugg/sentinel, or even an assassin with their ability to guard or steal objectives really well. I generally avoid 1v1, but it depends on the map and if I know they used up some or all of their cd's. If it's void, civil war, or hypergate you can some times cloak and pick up the hp boost nearby. Thus, guarantying you will be able to finish him off. As a last recourse you can run away after using cloak. There been times I done this and a team player comes and finish off the sniper or just run back to a base or continue on in huttball. However, some times you can get lucky and run away and regenerate. They some times follow you if you cloak or they don't move due to possibility of a stealthy stealing the node, base, ect. The only time you will 1v1 with a sniper is most likely if they are guarding an objective. Thus, they will generally not follow you very far if they follow you at all.

I have the following at 50: sniper, jug, guardian, assassin, sage, commando, sentinel, and pyro.

You're assuming the sentinel/marauder will be running away. Any sentinel who knows how to play their class correctly never runs from a fight, least of all from a sniper. :rolleyes:

Any sentinel that knows how to play will not claim he can 1vs1 annihilation vs a skilled medicine op. As Larry_Dallas used to say, next time you kill on op healer look arround, most probably a marksmanship did the job for you.

Still on that eh? I'm flattered. <3 I still think its funny you're making a big deal over something that's considered normal by many. But oh wells. ;)

Still on that eh? I'm flattered. <3 I still think its funny you're making a big deal over something that's considered normal by many. But oh wells. ;)

It's the way how you deal with things, somebody makes a logical argument, backs up all his statements, yet you come up with complete denial and try to dismiss everything without any logical statements. Read your own posts, this is your typical answer:

"this is all false, I don't care about all that logical reasoning, i am the best sentinel out there and i will beat the best sniper, healer, you name it, simply because i have "situational awarenes" that can allow me win even against impossible mathematical odds".

Most of the times you claim smth like

We have more ways to deal with snipers than they have for us. If you're a sentinel and losing to a sniper,...

but you don't provide those ways. You know why? Because the instant you will try to list those tools, you will get your arguments countered. And you know that very well, you tried providing some arguments before and it did not work for you as people immediately pointed to the faults in your reasoning, so you just try to instigate flamebaiting on the forums becuase there is nothing else you are left to do.

And all this is I am assuming you are not actually trolling and you honestly think what you type. But many of your posts qualify pretty well to be labeled as trolling attempts.

Edited by NoTomorrow

It's the way how you deal with things, somebody makes a logical argument, backs up all his statements, yet you come up with complete denial and try to dismiss everything without any logical statements. Read your own posts, this is your typical answer:

"this is all false, I don't care about all that logical reasoning, i am the best sentinel out there and i will beat the best sniper, healer, you name it, simply because i have "situational awarenes" that can allow me win even against impossible mathematical odds".

Most of the times you claim smth like

but you don't provide those ways. You know why? Because the instant you will try to list those tools, you will get your arguments countered. And you know that very well, you tried providing some arguments before and it did not work for you as people immediately pointed to the faults in your reasoning, so you just try to instigate flamebaiting on the forums becuase there is nothing else you are left to do.

And all this is I am assuming you are not actually trolling and you honestly think what you type. But many of your posts qualify pretty well to be labeled as trolling attempts.

You should know what I'm speaking of. You claim to be my counter. :D And the next stage of your denial, trolling accusations. You're progressing nicely. :) I'm not going to detail how I would kill you or counter what you may throw at me. I told you if you wanted to see it come to my server. Find the best sniper there, or roll one yourself and I'll cover your costs. Otherwise tone down the Internet tough guy act. ;)

Edited by PoliteAssasin

You should know what I'm speaking of. You claim to be my counter. :D And the next stage of your denial, trolling accusations. You're progressing nicely. :) I'm not going to detail how I would kill you or counter what you may throw at me. I told you if you wanted to see it come to my server. Find the best sniper there, or roll one yourself and I'll cover your costs. Otherwise tone down the Internet tough guy act. ;)

"I am not going to detail how i would kill you" Yes yes yes, you have said that 1000 times already, the fact is, you are afraid to go into details because you know i can provide you with some very good answers to whatever you plan to throw at me. I have an aswer for your CDs. I repeatedly tried to provoke you come with an aswer, but you are desperately trying to avoid that. If you are so good, wha's stops you from explaining your point of view and prove me that i am wrong? Or you actually don't believe what you are saying and resort to flame biating and reporting any post that calls your lies.

Compared to you, i have provided countless of times logical arguments, sometimes even denfending marauders from the claims of newbie snipers. Yet you are afraid to get into a serious discussion. All you could come up against Larry_Dallas detailed post about Annihilation vs Healer Ops, is just complete utter denial without any logical answer. This is what you are Polite:

You have no idea what you're talking about do you? Keep deluding yourself bud. Better hope you don't run across an anni or watchman dual weilder who's not fotm on your awesome operative healer. :p

I've soloed the best operative and scoundrel healers on my server as a watchman. It's really no trouble at all, just requires awareness

That's what I was told before I dueled the best sniper on my server. I was told I wouldn't be able to even touch him. As I said, sounds good on paper, but in reality not so much. He tried all 3 specs on me, only one of them was a somewhat close fight, marksman if i recall correctly, the other two were fairly easy for me.

So you want to say that you have no clue about what spec you were actually fighting against and you actually won? I mean not knowing what he can actually throw at you. Nice

this thread is basically a carbon copy of this one. Notice how you tried again to dodge any sort of reply to my post about how you will react with your sentinel. Just they same old:

Sorry to say you haven't come across any real sentinels/marauders yet.

So what will it be Polite? Give me a logical answer after months of flaming and avoiding any serious talk or will you just try to report this post simply because you feel uncomfortable?

I promise I will take all my words back, if you for example, wrote a counter guide to my Sniper vs Marauder guide (check my signature, it's the third post in that thread). If you provided clear, logical counter arguments about how would you react in different situations i would take you seriously, perhaps i would even respect you.

And I would understand if you would have a compehensive atittude towards the specs in thsi game, but you are flip floping depending on how it is convenient for you, almost always contradicting yourself. In one thread you are derailing Carnage about how useless it is and how it can be locked out of burst for 27 seconds and crap like that. In other posts you claim how snipers have no chance against carnage. You don't even have a stable opinion on a particular matter.

I would rather have an interesting discussion with you, like i have with many other marauder players, but you just keep on bragging without providing an actual debate. If you don't want to talk in clear argumentative way, then i will just have to stop reading anything you post.

Edited by NoTomorrow

I'm sorry polite assassin but if you can beat the "best" sniper on your sever as a marauder then he doesn't know how to play the sniper class. Plain and simple

Actually I retract my previous statement I'm not sorry, all you do is spread misinformation and go around trolling in every thread I see you post in.

Edited by AdmiralParmesan

Stop posting misinformation. This is a misconception that is far too common on these forums. We have more ways to deal with snipers than they have for us. If you're a sentinel and losing to a sniper, you're simply not playing your class right.

If your killing all the snipers u come across then ya not facing good snipers.

The only way i really struggle against sentinals, maruaders etc is if the get drop on me out of a res point.

Normally most sentianals, maurauders are zero problem unless i make a mistaken then thats my bad and i deserved to die.

really good sentinals and maurauders yeah can kill ya average sniper. but i bet u pit a top sentinal against a top sniper and the sniper will come out on top same as if u pit a top opperative against a top sniper more often than not the opperative will leave us dead.

If you get the drop on ya sniper then ya fine but watch for ya MM snipers like me that play dumb and u think we havnt spotted you when we have. Number of times in a huttball i spot a sentinal, maurauder etc making there way to me and ill stay focussed on what im attacking but only using quick hits saving all my big stuff for the sucker about to think he got drop on me.... HES TOAST and that will happen 99% of the time and im not even the best sniper but i aint stupid either where as alot playing snetiansl adn maurauders are coz of the fotm. this is not aimed at you guys that are damn good at ya sentinals and maurauders im sure u kill many a sniper. BACK TO OP - really want to counter ya sniper just send a opperative, gunslinger etc for them or assit you but let them attack first :)