A theory about the end of the cold war.

JimNoonienSoong

We all know that the Republic is going to use many of the same warships and ranks that the current empire uses right now. I believe that this might not be a mistake on the part of bioware.

We've seen the incredibly harsh rule the Sith uses over the imperial military, many of whom and been observed to be full of honor and decency. But what if they finally snapped? What if the imperial military abandoned the Sith and joined the republic to form one government? It's not that much of a stretch, think about it. Their head of state wants to KILL EVERYONE, if this plot were to be unmasked, what's to stop the light sided sith from joining the Jedi, and the Imperial military from abandoning the rest of the sith?

"What's there to stop the Imperial Military from abandoning the Sith?"

An hierarchy of super-powerful force users tends to be a decent deterrent for not rebelling.

That same hierarchy is constantly backstabbing each other and will kill itself and have to go into hiding with only two allowed to exist at a time.

That same hierarchy is constantly backstabbing each other and will kill itself and have to go into hiding with only two allowed to exist at a time.

It seems that once they go to war, they get their act together pretty well. I mean, in a matter of a couple decades, the Empire managed to seize from 1/3 to 1/2 of the galaxy, pretty impressive. (Albeit, they had advantages over the Republic that should have let them destroy them, but that's not the point.) And the Rule of the Two won't happen for about 2700 years, so they've got some time methinks. It's the same reason that the Empire's citizens haven't said, "forget this, I hear Democracy is in season" and had a revolution.

Edited by Guildrum

It seems that once they go to war, they get their act together pretty well. I mean, in a matter of a couple decades, the Empire managed to seize from 1/3 to 1/2 of the galaxy, pretty impressive. (Albeit, they had advantages over the Republic that should have let them destroy them, but that's not the point.) And the Rule of the Two won't happen for about 2700 years, so they've got some time methinks. It's the same reason that the Empire's citizens haven't said, "forget this, I hear Democracy is in season" and had a revolution.

The emperor is trying to kill everyone, pretty sure that's a nice motive to rebel. And they're gonna destroy themselves in this incarnation as well. Darth Rivan was the one who restarted a sith empire that was a shadow of it's former self with holocrons not far from now.

And most Imperials you interact with seem quite content with their lives, if not a bit lazy. Sure some harsh truths about the Empire can be hard to swallow, and there are some they aren't privy to, but at least for now there is no reason for the Empire to fall.

They should have taken over the galaxy during the first war.

Well, and to be fair, the Republic isn't all hearts and bunnies, either. It wouldn't surprise me if the average life for an Imperial citizen (at least a human citizen) is better than that of a Republic, just in that they're not really exposed to the Sith, but do have clean drinking water, enough to eat, etc. (Which seems to be a chronic problem Republic side.)

I mean, yeah, a lot of the Imperial higher ups want the Sith gone. But I suspect that they want the Sith gone and the Empire in *their* hands, not the Empire gone all together. (Or put under Republic rule.)

The Empire if very varied. Some of the honorable Imperials believe that serving the Empire, whether it's right or wrong, is the best thing they can do. Others believe the Republic is more evil, both due to perceived and real corruption and injustices the Republic has done.

The Empire is also well liked by those in the Republic that feel that their lives there are going nowhere. Defections are easy. Though, the Republic lures in those that perceive the Empire as unjust and want to fix that.

Also, the fact that the Emperor wants to kill all life is unknown to nearly all. Not even the SW finds this out. Even then, the Emperor is a galvanizing force in the Empire. His lack of guidance in the years after the Treaty of Coruscant is the reason for the divisions and corruption seen in the Empire. His return, regardless of his objective, would result in the Empire becoming more centralized and effective.

I personal see the fragmentation of the sith by the end of the game as the beginning of the New Sith Wars. For those who are unfimilar with the expanded universe of star wars, the New Sith Wars was a sort of dark age of fighting between the republic and the varies sith "kingdoms".

Once the republic achieves total victory as it seems fated to do, they will get access to Imperial ship design plans, shipyards and personnel, realizing the imperial fleet is stronger from a technical point of view, the republic eventually decides to adopt imperial shipbuilding designs and models to better the republic fleet.

Similar cases have happened many, many times in our history, there is no reason the same didn't happen in SW

My theory is that the cold war will erupt into an actual war between the empire and republic at the outer rim

what are you talking about? The cold war ended in between Act 2/3 in a full out war. Did you even pay attention to the story?

what are you talking about? The cold war ended in between Act 2/3 in a full out war. Did you even pay attention to the story?

this bothers me as well. People in the lore forums have made many posts that make it obvious that they either never played to act 3 or didn't pay any attention.

HEY, PEOPLE, the war is full on after Hoth. By the time you land on Belsavis for the first time, the peace is over.

The emperor is trying to kill everyone, pretty sure that's a nice motive to rebel. And they're gonna destroy themselves in this incarnation as well. Darth Rivan was the one who restarted a sith empire that was a shadow of it's former self with holocrons not far from now.

Yeah, that's more likely. Rebellion is the only way for the Sith Empire to fall apart from within. There were a couple key moments in SWTOR in which members of the Sith Empire don't conform to the Emperor's will.

1) Scourge and Darth Nyriss. Nyriss was branded a traitor, therefore leaving the rest of the Dark Council from the Revan novel executed. Scourge still had the knowledge from Nyriss, and betrayed Revan and Meetra Surik in order to protect his cover. He then saw the vision of the Jedi Knight killing him and aided him.

2) Jaesa Willsaam. In the dark-sided version of Jaesa Willsaam's companion story, she says there were some light-sided Sith that broke away from the Sith Empire she wanted to kill.

More likely, once the Emperor's true plan has come to light, the Sith Empire will be fearful before rebelling. As much as those loyal to the Emperor respect him, they also fear him. The Sith Emperor is the most powerful being in the Sith Empire; without his people, he's nothing. Scourge was the first spark of rebellion in the Sith Empire.

PS: Hopefully Revan and the Sith Emperor battle it out again, this time Revan more powerful than he was when he fought the Sith Emperor.

My theory is that the cold war will erupt into an actual war between the empire and republic at the outer rim

It more or less will. It's basically like an interpretation of what would've happened if WWIII was initiated during the Cold War.

Anyhow, more or less, there will be another devastating war between the Republic and Sith Empire. The Republic and Sith Empire have already built doomsday weapons ("missiles that darken suns, shields that envelop planets")(ie: Hammer Station, Desolator, more or less more doomsday weapons)

Hopefully, 1) Revan will return to aid the Republic war effort against the Sith Empire and 2) the class stories expand with Chapter Four, Five and Six.

Isn't there something in the lore that calls the post-ToR galaxy 'The Dark Age of the Republic' or some such sunshine and roses title?

Yes, but that's at the end of the New Sith Wars, which will begin in about 1500 years, and end in about 2500 years.

Very little of the history between now and then is recorded. This topic comes up again fairly regularly in these forums, and the take-away is simple: we do not know. We do not know what happens to this Sith Empire, but they'll be gone in 1500 years. We do not know what happens to this version of the Republic, but something calling itself the Galactic Republic has existed for 22,000 years and continues to exist for another 3500 years, until the Galactic Empire does away with a 25,000 year old government. Ouchies.

Anyhow, we don't know who wins this war. People make all sorts of speculations and often present them as truths, but they're simply opinions. We do not know how the Emperor dies. We do not in fact know what happens to any of the major characters alive now. We do not know what becomes of the war that restarted at the end of Ch 2. We don't know how any of these stories resolve.

My own theory is that the Emperor's threat will grow (or rather, more people will become aware that he intends to literally suck all life out of the Galaxy and become a lonely god) until eventually we'll all defeat him together in expansion content in a couple of years. Then a new Sith Empire will form, and some sort of detente will be reached. I honestly do not expect either side to "win" during the chronology of the game, because that removes much of the underlying tension.