[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Poor excuse as to why they are not allowing ANYONE to use high rez texture, we don't all have crappy PCs and they seemed to run ok in beta for most people. Some armor/characters look terrible with the current textures which are quite blurry. It's not just textures that's reduced either, it's the lighting and other shading effects (like bump mapping) making the game look very dated.

Every screenshot on the site is taken in max detail which we do not have access to. This is false advertising....

They removed other features during beta as well (like armour colour matching and ALL gear being fully moddable), stating that it was confusing for players. I don't like the way Bioware thinks we all to retarded to figure out a pretty generic MMO UI.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a pressing matter as well, it makes me sad every time i log in :confused:

Actually every time I log in I inspect my toon in the hope they ninja-fixed it in my absence. Then I do the holo-trick a couple times to remember what my toon is really supposed to look like before I carry on with the dailies :(

One day....

Hm. Can't they at least make player's own toon use hi-res texture, while the rest of characters use that 'texture-atlas' thingy? Player looks at his own char all the time and from rather close distance... Looking at what it is now is just a pain ) Or a flashback from remote past...

[DAILY] Mission: Thread Bumping

The BioWare corporation, once our friends and allies, have turned their back on us. Their newly formed alliance with EA has provided them with a long forgotten technology and they are severely impeding our graphical capabilities. They have already taken out one of our options, the "Medium" option. Even our strongest PCs are no match to their devious tactics. The community is suffering heavy losses, including women and children, and we need your help. Our only hope is to perform the dark ritual of "Bumping". Widely frowned upon in the community, the ritual is often performed by those know as "Trolls" and is associated with the conditions of "flame" and "rage". Do not let these consume you. I sense the posting is strong with you. You must help us keep this thread bumped. The survival of The Old Republic depends on you.

{ACCEPT} {DECLINE}

Provided Rewards:

[Advanced Graphics] [stim: Critical Gameplay] [Adrenal: Enhanced Fun]

2x Community Commendation

Edited by daMarek

The BioWare corporation, once our friends and allies, have turned their back on us. Their newly formed alliance with EA has provided them with a long forgotten technology and they are severely impeding our graphical capabilities. They have already taken out one of our options, the "Medium" option. Even our strongest PCs are no match to their devious tactics. The community is suffering heavy losses, including women and children, and we need your help. Our only hope is to perform the dark ritual of "Bumping". Widely frowned upon in the community, the ritual is often performed by those know as "Trolls" and is associated with the conditions of "flame" and "rage". Do not let these consume you. I sense the posting is strong with you. You must help us keep this thread bumped. The survival of The Old Republic depends on you.

{ACCEPT} {DECLINE}

Provided Rewards:

I Accept!

May the Posting be with you.

{ACCEPT} {DECLINE}

Provided Rewards:

I'm not even sure what the issue is, but when you put it in the form of a mission complete with rewards and everything... well...

Bravo, sir... Bravo...

{ACCEPT} {DECLINE}

Provided Rewards:

Did the younglings survive?

[daily] mission: Thread bumping

the bioware corporation, once our friends and allies, have turned their back on us. Their newly formed alliance with ea has provided them with a long forgotten technology and they are severely impeding our graphical capabilities. They have already taken out one of our options, the "medium" option. Even our strongest pcs are no match to their devious tactics. The community is suffering heavy losses, including women and children, and we need your help. Our only hope is to perform the dark ritual of "bumping". Widely frowned upon in the community, the ritual is often performed by those know as "trolls" and is associated with the conditions of "flame" and "rage". Do not let these consume you. I sense the posting is strong with you. You must help us keep this thread bumped. The survival of the old republic depends on you.

{accept} {decline}

provided rewards:

[advanced graphics] [stim: Critical gameplay] [adrenal: Enhanced fun]

2x community commendation

challenge accepted!

{ACCEPT} {DECLINE}

Provided Rewards:

Nice! mission accepted.

I for one actually don't blame bioware or even EA for anything. The fact is that they're working on this, and I think the only reason we have to bump this thread is just so that we can show the devs that this issue is still important to us!

Thanks bioware for listening to your community :)

Edited by DarthSmart

I for one actually don't blame bioware or even EA for anything. The fact is that they're working on this, and I think the only reason we have to bump this thread is just so that we can show the devs that this issue is still important to us!

Say what?

{ACCEPT} {DECLINE}

Provided Rewards:

Accepted.

At least grant us the option to have High textures for our character and companions.

You'll believe just about anything they tell you hunh?

I'd like some of that happy juice you're drinking. Better yet, can you sell me a plot of rock to live under next to yours? :) I'm glad the issue is still important to you, but for me, I fully blame EAoware for all of the gimpness of TOR.

I'm sorry - I don't understand what 'issue' BW are trying to resolve. The high rez textures exist, they are just unavailable since BETA?

I love this game, i have like 3 x level 50s and Legacy 23 something, but this low res graphics is killing me.

I custom built a rig just for swtor. What were they thinking not to give the option? What are they doing about it? Where is an update??

Aren't we the best placed to decide the balance between performance and quality on our own computers? Why are we subjected to a blanket nazi policy to suit the lowest common denominator?

Truth be told, I think they did it to safeguard their launch from bad press. Well numpties - launch is over. Can the grownups get a go now?

After 2 months this game still looks like a console port to PC - W T F!!!!?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Got this game a couple days ago and dove right into it after I got through the hassle of a Main Assets issue. I was so involved in the idea of it being Star Wars and how awesome I looked being an evil mammajamma that I didn't even realize the texture issue until around the Black Talon flashpoint. Since then, I've been changing my settings in-game and in the settings file over and over again to try and figure out why it was that no matter what I did, the game looked like crap. I noticed my new snazzy robes I got from the previously mentioned flashpoint looked like utter crap. I couldn't figure it out.

I've been pestering my girlfriend about this since I discovered it and was getting extremely frustrated. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the game to look how I thought it should look (how I remember it looking from the brief time I spent in beta and all the videos I had been watching for the last couple years.) When it comes to gaming, (especially on my PC) I am completely and utterly obsessed with getting the best quality for the best frames. I will buy a game, spend days optimizing it for just that and then never play it again. I've been doing that since I bought this PC to test each and every game and then compare it to SW:TOR so I KNOW that I will be able to play it exactly how I want without any issues or hassle. All this time I've spent re-configuring my settings over and over again and THIS is what's going on with my game? Really? They just up and decided they didn't want High Res textures in the game because it MIGHT affect SOME people who own machines that can't handle it?

Here's an idea.

let them turn them off if they need to

Edited by Vaurok

{ACCEPT} {DECLINE}

Provided Rewards:

I have accpeted this mission, but i can't find out where I have to go to complete it!?!?! Is it a bug?

As it happens, I found this in the devlog forum posted on 31st Jan.

Textures

Our texture options are High / Low. We are planning an additional setting for character textures, closer to the quality seen in cinematic scenes, which is under development right now.

It would cause slightly less stress if they kept the 'official' forum posts they create themselves updated.

In any case, here's the source. Cleverly tucked away as the very first sticky on the CS forum. Who looks there right?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2337868#edit2337868

Edited by Radox

Got this game a couple days ago and dove right into it after I got through the hassle of a Main Assets issue. I was so involved in the idea of it being Star Wars and how awesome I looked being an evil mammajamma that I didn't even realize the texture issue until around the Black Talon flashpoint. Since then, I've been changing my settings in-game and in the settings file over and over again to try and figure out why it was that no matter what I did, the game looked like crap. I noticed my new snazzy robes I got from the previously mentioned flashpoint looked like utter crap. I couldn't figure it out.

I've been pestering my girlfriend about this since I discovered it and was getting extremely frustrated. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the game to look how I thought it should look (how I remember it looking from the brief time I spent in beta and all the videos I had been watching for the last couple years.) When it comes to gaming, (especially on my PC) I am completely and utterly obsessed with getting the best quality for the best frames. I will buy a game, spend days optimizing it for just that and then never play it again. I've been doing that since I bought this PC to test each and every game and then compare it to SW:TOR so I KNOW that I will be able to play it exactly how I want without any issues or hassle. All this time I've spent re-configuring my settings over and over again and THIS is what's going on with my game? Really? They just up and decided they didn't want High Res textures in the game because it MIGHT affect SOME people who own machines that can't handle it?

Here's an idea.

let them turn them off if they need to

You see BioWare, this is turning this guy into a wife-beater. You are ruining people's lives!

Just doing my dailies. +2 Community Commendations for me, but I'm not getting the other rewards. Must be bugged.