"Kill the Markded Healer in Arena..."

Daxy

this is regarding pug reg arena matches

without fail- most of the matches where team tries to derp factetank a healer who was "marked" in beginning and, as a result, ignores to capitalize on any other targets of opportunity which usually arise to be a recipe for a loss

i have found it easier to focus down a dps while putting pressure on healer-- stuns, interrupts, etc to be the much more feasible and successful strategy

everything goes out the window as soon as the team starts and i'm finding the "killheelzfirstderp" to be a way harder strategy to actually pull off than not; in fact unless the healer sucks he sucks up all tools needed to kill his friends while being tough to pin down

i was wondering what you successful pvp veterans think about this and how you deal with kill order before a fight starts

Edited by Daxy

You have the right idea. Generally ignoring the healer and keeping him pressured/interrupted and killing a dps is the best option. Problem is you cant really coordinate that with pugs in solo ranked.

ok- makes sense

thanks for responding

Going directly for the healer is RARELY the best option. Even in pugs.

People that constantly shout "Go for the healer!!¡¡¡" aren't really having above average success.

Just keep an eye on him at all times. But going for the most vulnerable DPS target is mostly the way to go.

Given that yolos hardly involve tanks.

Unless you are on a double healer team against triple dps healer for example.. that is about the only time where you should just tunnel the healer 24/7 without touching the dps aside from peels.

depends on group composition, IMO. Harassing the healer is great when it works, but you really need someone that control the healer who has the stuns and interupts to make that happen. It also has to be the person that the other team ISN"T focusing on. ie - the strat will fail if you have the sorc try and harass the healer when their 3 dps are focusing fire on him.

If the healer is a merc, it might work, but just maybe because it's a merc. An operative or sorc, who are being focused have "oh, s****" buttons that may cause confusion as to what's next. If you pug, which pretty much what I do when I pvp, switching targets back and forth rarely works.

For example, usually ppl suggest going for sorc first (whether it's heal or dps) but I try to discourage that. Sorc when low, will barrier, so dps have to switch to something else then switch back.... Most of the time, not going to be smoothly executed

Usually in solos with a 3 dps/1 healer game I'll call a 2-1 split with 2 on the squishiest dps and 1 on the healer. That way you get a kill but also prevent the healer from freecasting.

You could go all on the dps if you could coordinate cc's but good luck with that.

my general rule of thumb is that if there's a healer but no guard, you burn the healer. if you cannot burn down the healer with 3 dps, then you're simply outmatched.

if there's a guard, then you pressure the weakest link (sometimes that's a healer, usually it's a sin, merc, mara, or dps op). the idea isn't necessarily to kill him but force a the tank to guard swap. then you can unload on the healer or, if he swapped too late, just finish off the dps. this method (forcing a guard swap), works with or w/o healers in the match. iunno. it works well in my experience. and when it doesn't work, it's when I'm clearly outgunned.

That's not really true...

If the enemy team has 3 dps who utilize their CCs well (Operative, Juggernaut), then I can easily see the healer surviving 3 dps whaling on him as his friends will get him the time he needs to heal to full:p

Edited by AshlaBoga

If the enemy team has 3 dps who utilize their CCs well (Operative, Juggernaut), then I can easily see the healer surviving 3 dps whaling on him as his friends will get him the time he needs to heal to full:p

Not only that, you're not stopping them from doing any damage. As long as they half properly rotate peels for their healer they can go wild on any of you. And it wouldn't be hard either since you're in perfect range for them (following their healer)

You're making it extremely easy for the enemy team by going for their healer and your gains are less than minimal.

As a person who cluelessly stayed in a 4x4 with a Gunslinger I can confirm that taking out a DPS through focusing is an easy winning strategy (for the opposing team that is...).

You're not supposed to completely ignore the healer.. or anyone for that matter.

That's the beauty of PvP, you need to keep EVERYTHING in mind.

But mindlessly tunneling a healer in any scenario where he doesn't have a guard isn't going to get you a lot of success.

TBH in regard to pug reg matches I don't think it matters much who you go for first in determining outcome 90% of the time. I'ts either gonna be a blowout for you or them... 10% of the time you'll get something resembling a decent ranked match.

Part of that is the lack of matchmaking based on class and part is due to no matchmaking of skill.

With that being said I agree that at least attempting to do what works best in ranked play is how your team should attempt to play the match.

Been trying to tell people not to tunnel healer straight away for a long time...PVE servers 20% believe you and even on PVP servers only about 50% listen to you.

So good luck...lol

But hey, it's just a reg in the end so try to learn something and have fun.

Edited by masih_ad_dajjal

What.. choice of target is everything..

Steamrolling? Nah they are all equally bad, none of them are good matches but that doesn't mean it's a pushover for either team.

Um I never disagreed with that..but in a reg it is much less important WHO you tgt first and just the simple fact that at least more than 1 is tgt'ing him lol.

Read my post more carefully and you'll see YOU are placing emphasis where I did not and I never disagreed with anything you said :)

Also didn't you say you rarely play reg? trust me regs are not the same as ranked even if they are all bad.:p

Um I never disagreed with that..but in a reg it is much less important WHO you tgt first and just the simple fact that at least more than 1 is tgt'ing him lol.

Read my post more carefully and you'll see YOU are placing emphasis where I did not and I never disagreed with anything you said :)

Also didn't you say you rarely play reg? trust me regs are not the same as ranked even if they are all bad.:p

Think you got the wrong person bro.

I would be happy if folks could actually learn to team up and hit the target of the teams choice. I am familiar with tank burning, but that still does not cover the all too common fact that folks will just start hitting on the first tank that pops up while the healer is in the back unmolested (both target marked). Until this is resolved all of the fine points of target choice are kinda lacking.

Wanna bet somebody still tries to explain why tank tunnel is a good option.

Wanna bet somebody still tries to explain why tank tunnel is a good option.

The op is talking about arena..reg arena in particular... and many "tanks" are hybrids and not very good and think just whipping out a guard on the healer is gonna help the team win...

Well not if you just rip his 33k health *** to shreds in 5 sec...

get it?

Edited by masih_ad_dajjal

The op is talking about arena..reg arena in particular... and many "tanks" are hybrids and not very good and think just whipping out a guard on the healer is gonna help the team win...

Well not if you just rip his 33k health *** to shreds in 5 sec...

get it?

My point is I could care less about the mechanics of focusing any class when the majority of the people I am in arenas with (regs and solo que) hit the first person to cross their path.

PS you took the troll bait