Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars, the High Republic ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars, the High Republic ?

HeatRacer
02.26.2020 , 03:42 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by LeMage View Post
One thing I always puzzled about with the timelines was how did technology NOT change in the 3 millennium between our game and the films? Sabres are the same, speeders are the same, buildings are the same; even the Mandalorians have the same armour. Never-mind how the Star Destroyers etc are the same. You would think 'our' sabres should be more akin to sticks.
Because Star Wars is, and always has been, sci-fantasy. And fantasy settings tend to have very stagnant development. Take for example, Middle-Earth, it's been around for thousands of years, but they're still using swords, spears, and bows, and don't even have steam power.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

XxHazenxX
02.26.2020 , 05:33 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
The Sith were still in hiding during this period, yes. I think they said their villains are a group of alien viking-esque raiders from beyond the Republic's borders.
Yea that sounds pretty horrible IMO... Jedi running around everywhere at the supposed height of their power, and their villain equal is a group of random raiders. No thanks. That's like the Jawas being the main villain in the Mandalorian the whole season.

Unless they do a retcon and somehow bring the Sith out of hiding/extinction, I won't be interested. Jedi demand Sith like plants require sun. You can't have one without the other... unless their plan for story, like I said, is to literally just be prequel-style politics the whole time with a sprinkling of fighting with these viking-esque raiders.
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - December 15, 2011

DreadtechSavant
02.26.2020 , 06:03 PM | #33
Disagree totally OP. I have invested far to much time and money to just having to start again. In-fact I just would not which is why I have not got battlefront at all or SW: Fallen Order. Also I did see a youtube vid about the High republic just last night and well really just not interested. For me its far to close to the films era.

MadDutchman
02.26.2020 , 10:58 PM | #34
I find it kinda funny how many strong opinions people already have about it considering nothing actually exists yet.

I for one intend to wait and see. Hopefully KK can keep her claws out of it.
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Nathan_Hanefort
02.27.2020 , 02:06 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseriah View Post
No there isn't if you think about realistically.

1. They will never improve the engine of the game because they can't.
2. They will never overhaul the optic of the game, for example many of the existing armors (especially older ones), because they can't (Manpower). Edit: Well, they managed to overhaul the optic of the planets when you exit your starship. They only needed 7 years for that.
3. They will never get back to the roots to give us a proper, logical, good story because they can't (Manpower again and all the good writers they had, for example the team that designed the Dread Master Story Arc or Class Storys left)
4. They will never give us a proper expansion again with lets say 2 OPs, 4-5 Flashpoints and 2-3h+ Storycontent because they can't (and yet again, Manpower...).
5. They will never serve people what they actually want (PvP-Vendors for gear for example, like we had at the beginning of SWTOR so PvP-Content actually makes sense and fun again to do).

And there are so many more examples. Sure, I too wish they would use whats left of SWTORs "potential", but they never will. If this game had actually more than 5 devs working on it, then maybe we could get some proper content but I doubt this will ever again be the case. SWTOR had way too many fails and way too many players already left to bring this game to its former glory. All what is left and important are "minor" updates and of course the holy, mighty Cartel Market.

From time to time i reactivate my sub and go and look around or try to find new fun in this game and start a new alt or level an existing one, only to find myself quit again because there is absolutely NOTHING new, even after 7 years. I also already played the newest story (Onslaught) with more than 4 characters. I dont even want to begin to talk about endgame content, because there is none. Raids and flashpoints keep getting re-scaled and re-scaled because SWTOR devs 1.) have not enough money or/and b.) not enough time and manpower to come up with something new.

It's sad, but this game is in maintenance mode and I guess we all know now why: because there will maybe come a new game with this "High Republic Era". Lets just hope they dont **** this new game up too, like they did with SWTOR with every major game update. (SoR mistakes, KOTFE mistakes, KOTET mistakes etc. etc.).
You would be surprised how many new players are here, at least on DM - on prime time Tython has 3 instances. Heck, I saw Taris had 3 on an pub side. My guild reached 73 players online two days ago (double up from 5.10 numbers). Mandalorian brought great amounts, new episode of Clone wars will bring more trooper fans in, high republic is coming (which will be closer to revan times than anaking times) - the world is living and breathing star wars today.

If swtor has a chance to push a serious expansion it will be 7.0. Game was pretty dead 5.+ and thats why they got low funds for 6.0. Game is doing great atm and EA, no matter how stupid they are, must give decent funds to develop the game further. If 7.0 and 10th anniversary will fail, we are good to go. Till than - I will stick around.

P.S. If you played swtor for 7 years, than yea - there is nothing left for you Imagine new player who loves pvp, alts, stronghold building, story and raiding. Adult and fulltime job. And kids. Who has 2-3 hours a day to play the game. To a such person Swtor has years of content to offer.

Lhancelot
02.27.2020 , 08:34 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Nathan_Hanefort View Post
P.S. If you played swtor for 7 years, than yea - there is nothing left for you Imagine new player who loves pvp, alts, stronghold building, story and raiding. Adult and fulltime job. And kids. Who has 2-3 hours a day to play the game. To a such person Swtor has years of content to offer.
This is true 100%.

I believe I ran through this game so much there just aint nothing, not even a new gearing system in it to really feel fresh to me.

I despise the new changes they make, but a new player who never knew what SWTOR was like in years past might come in here and find it chock full of activities to do.

I suppose if anything that's where my resentment lies. Instead of trying to make the game better, they just dumbed it down and made it worse yet to a newer person the game probably feels very much different to them even fun.

So when people say they love it, I don't say one thing one way or the other I don't want to ruin a new player's experience or ideas about the game.

With long time vets it's easy to get into the frame of mind of wanting to tear down BW and this game for what it has become, but that's a waste of energy too. Sometimes you just got to vent. heh.
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Iíd still like to know how you find someoneís legacy name if they donít display it?
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Uh you don't know it because it is a secret knowledge of ranked players who use it to see the real appearance of other players through the force.

Jesseriah
02.27.2020 , 02:48 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Nathan_Hanefort View Post
So you automatically assume that everyone who plays a MMO(!) for 7+ years is playing the wrong game because one wants ongoing and evolving content (which is only natural for a MMO)?
And no, even with all the examples you mentioned you should have been completely through this game by now. SWTOR is 10 years old by next year, and you can clear every single content in under 2h even with family and job. Which is good, but lets compare SWTOR to WoW in this case, which i play occasionally too, and hey, in case you didnt know: WoW is already 15, nearly 16 years old and delivers NEW and FRESH content EVERY 6 MONTHS. And by new content i dont speak of 2 minutes of dialogue and 10 minutes of running around like we get in SWTOR. In fact, WoW is so much content, that i dont even know where to begin with. Especially in a game/MMO which lasts as long as SWTOR or WoW you should be safe to ALWAYS have something to do. And here's whats wrong with SWTOR in that case: because of the fact that SWTOR has only a hand full of devs left (for more than 3 or 4 years now, while EA is doing millions revenue with SWTOR, just saying) they have no manpower to actually give us this content. They cant even give us, as i already mentioned, new FPs for example besides the re-scaled sh*t that we already cleared 5 years before.

Just a few examples:

I want to do OPs? No, thanks because i already did them 5 years ago (talking about getting re-scaled over and over again.)
I want to do Story? Please no. I already have over 35 characters (and here are people who have over 100 characters, lmao) and know every single story mission of every class. I can do the new story updates but yep, after finishing them with 2 or more characters, everyone should be through because its always the same. I like the fact that SoR at least had a unique class quest for every class after the first half so it made sense to play it with every 8 classes.
I want to do PvP? Hell no. Why the f* should i? Just for the sake of it? Okay, fine. Could do that for a week. But i already have pvp rank 80+ on several characters, and personally i dont care about ranked, as many many others. Since there is no gear i could get and everything is random (hello crates) there is no sense in doing it.
I want to do I dont know what? Why exactly should I? There are no "real" achievements in this game besides of "Kill 1000 of this mob and kill 500 of these players" that i haven't done already. There are no pets to farm, no mounts to farm, no gear to farm (command crates or however it is called now is a complete joke. Look at all the existing threads about it), no titles to get. And do you know why this is? Because everything that *really* matters in swtor is the cartel market and another 3,5-5k lightsaber/armor set that i have to buy for 35+ EUR/Dollars. I wish i could go out and just farm something. Some titles or whatever. But i can't because there is none.

And all that is not because the game is nearly 10 years old. All that is because Devs and especially EA has already abandoned this game besides of the already mentioned "minor updates" and cartel market
Talking about "there is so much to do" is just completely wrong. Dont get me wrong: I still like SWTOR, and i like playing it. But after all these years of waiting and nothing really new, everyone should know by now that EA does not want to let this game flourish again besides the CM, especially when you compare it with games like ESO (which was down deep, same as SWTOR. But now they got their sh*t together and the game has over 10 million players). Sure, for someone like you who only wants or can play 30 min per day SWTOR may be fine. But we deserve more in general instead of waiting for a new SW-MMO.
Use this Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/8gTtm9 for FREE Charaktertransfer and more!

Lhancelot
02.27.2020 , 03:37 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by XxHazenxX View Post
Yea that sounds pretty horrible IMO... Jedi running around everywhere at the supposed height of their power, and their villain equal is a group of random raiders. No thanks. That's like the Jawas being the main villain in the Mandalorian the whole season.

Unless they do a retcon and somehow bring the Sith out of hiding/extinction, I won't be interested. Jedi demand Sith like plants require sun. You can't have one without the other... unless their plan for story, like I said, is to literally just be prequel-style politics the whole time with a sprinkling of fighting with these viking-esque raiders.
To me this point of view sure is narrow.

You sure limit where your imagination goes by having so many restrictions required for the story to be a true Star Wars story (in your mind.)

I don't know, I just think modern day "fans" go overboard with their own personal agendas and/or dogmas. Also, some strange phenomenon of entitlement occurs where "fans" really seem to believe the artist is supposed to be creating the art to personally appease said "fan."

I like certain types of movies, but I have never thought to myself how a certain director or writer ought to have written a movie when I found it to not be to my liking. I simply chalk it up as a piece of art I do not like or don't enjoy. Who am I to expect the artist to create something that appeases me?

The only choice a fan has here is to buy or not buy the art, there is no relationship between the fan and a movie director/writer where they are supposed to create or write something the way the fan thinks it should be done. This is not some working relationship where the fans input matters. It really doesn't.
Iíd still like to know how you find someoneís legacy name if they donít display it?
Uh you don't know it because it is a secret knowledge of ranked players who use it to see the real appearance of other players through the force.

Lhancelot
02.27.2020 , 03:54 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseriah View Post
So you automatically assume that everyone who plays a MMO(!) for 7+ years is playing the wrong game because one wants ongoing and evolving content (which is only natural for a MMO)?
And no, even with all the examples you mentioned you should have been completely through this game by now. SWTOR is 10 years old by next year, and you can clear every single content in under 2h even with family and job. Which is good, but lets compare SWTOR to WoW in this case, which i play occasionally too, and hey, in case you didnt know: WoW is already 15, nearly 16 years old and delivers NEW and FRESH content EVERY 6 MONTHS. And by new content i dont speak of 2 minutes of dialogue and 10 minutes of running around like we get in SWTOR. In fact, WoW is so much content, that i dont even know where to begin with. Especially in a game/MMO which lasts as long as SWTOR or WoW you should be safe to ALWAYS have something to do. And here's whats wrong with SWTOR in that case: because of the fact that SWTOR has only a hand full of devs left (for more than 3 or 4 years now, while EA is doing millions revenue with SWTOR, just saying) they have no manpower to actually give us this content. They cant even give us, as i already mentioned, new FPs for example besides the re-scaled sh*t that we already cleared 5 years before.

Just a few examples:

I want to do OPs? No, thanks because i already did them 5 years ago (talking about getting re-scaled over and over again.)
I want to do Story? Please no. I already have over 35 characters (and here are people who have over 100 characters, lmao) and know every single story mission of every class. I can do the new story updates but yep, after finishing them with 2 or more characters, everyone should be through because its always the same. I like the fact that SoR at least had a unique class quest for every class after the first half so it made sense to play it with every 8 classes.
I want to do PvP? Hell no. Why the f* should i? Just for the sake of it? Okay, fine. Could do that for a week. But i already have pvp rank 80+ on several characters, and personally i dont care about ranked, as many many others. Since there is no gear i could get and everything is random (hello crates) there is no sense in doing it.
I want to do I dont know what? Why exactly should I? There are no "real" achievements in this game besides of "Kill 1000 of this mob and kill 500 of these players" that i haven't done already. There are no pets to farm, no mounts to farm, no gear to farm (command crates or however it is called now is a complete joke. Look at all the existing threads about it), no titles to get. And do you know why this is? Because everything that *really* matters in swtor is the cartel market and another 3,5-5k lightsaber/armor set that i have to buy for 35+ EUR/Dollars. I wish i could go out and just farm something. Some titles or whatever. But i can't because there is none.

And all that is not because the game is nearly 10 years old. All that is because Devs and especially EA has already abandoned this game besides of the already mentioned "minor updates" and cartel market
Talking about "there is so much to do" is just completely wrong. Dont get me wrong: I still like SWTOR, and i like playing it. But after all these years of waiting and nothing really new, everyone should know by now that EA does not want to let this game flourish again besides the CM, especially when you compare it with games like ESO (which was down deep, same as SWTOR. But now they got their sh*t together and the game has over 10 million players). Sure, for someone like you who only wants or can play 30 min per day may SWTOR be fine. But we deserve more.
Thing is, BW chooses to not have enough devs for SWTOR. They chose to put all their eggs in one basket called Anthem. They also chose to rush out this last expansion when it wasn't even close to being ready.

They just seem to make lots of dumb choices imo.

Elyx
02.27.2020 , 04:17 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by LeMage View Post
One thing I always puzzled about with the timelines was how did technology NOT change in the 3 millennium between our game and the films? Sabres are the same, speeders are the same, buildings are the same; even the Mandalorians have the same armour. Never-mind how the Star Destroyers etc are the same. You would think 'our' sabres should be more akin to sticks.
I always thought this was interesting too. the star wars universe was always an interesting blend of sci-fi with old tech feel. like an alien steampunk. And in the back of my mind, I was always thinking, "So they can create AI's and tech that literally grows and evolves on it's own, but still looks like the insides of my grandparents 1940's toaster?"

I ended up going with the theme that it was different universe, different tech And based on how things change, I assume that tech and people adapt slower in the SW universe. so our 100 years is their 1000 years, or something like that.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?