BM Shadow general thoughts on PVP. Power Tech imbalance

Salrog

About me:

I'm a valor rank 64 infiltration shadow on Space Slug and this is my current outlook on pvp. I've consistently played in the top 1% or so of players in past MMOs I've played where there was a ranking system. Recently I've played WoW, Aion, and WAR.

First off my problem with shadows.

Terrible on Hut Ball:

We lack the ability to close distance with anyone on the 2nd floor and are easily knocked off sometimes a 30 second run. We outside of Imperial agents are the easiest class to kill, especially if we try to run the ball. Any good team can easily put distance between us and them and make our class effectively useless.

Terrible at defense on Void Star - Ranged classes constantly destroy us while we are forced unable to move from the door for fear of our opponents planting a bomb. So basically our role there is to sit and tank 4+ ranged classes damage while trying to los them the best we can on a pillar watching the door. Not my idea of a good time. We are decent at ninja capping doors against BAD teams. I would really prefer not to be remembered for how good I am at beating bads.

Complete reliance on Force Potency We have a difficult time beating a good player of any class unless its up or we get a crit streak.

Major Bugs that break our class:

Resilience: doesn't always remove all negative effects, annoying when you vanish and still have dots on you after. With how squishy we are it is invaluable that we be able to vanish out and reopen when we have less focus on us. When resil bugs out we simply die... Like a boss.

Force Cloak: Leaves you in combat about 30% of the time after using it if under attack. Nothing better than vanishing only to be stuck in combat for another 10 seconds unable to do anything. Almost makes this ability useless.

Melee classes in general seem at a disadvantage in combat involving more than 6 or so players per side. This is even more apparent in the new brawls coming out on Ilum. Melee are 100% useless in mass PvP. If you try to attack the other team you get focused and die instantly. Terrible judgement call on allowing this.

What I like about shadows.

I can beat most good players 1v1 with a decent chance of success.

Great at Planetary Cannon Defense. With typically no more than 4 people in a area at once and nothing to really get knocked off of shadows can really shine. We can drop a unexpecting player within ~15 seconds(far less if they're bad) and cap nodes for our team. We are also amazing at defending nodes even against up to 3 people with mind maze.

Stealth - Is amazing, it lets us pick our fights and survive when we shouldn't have. This is countered by us being rather squishy, having one not so good defensive cool down and our limited damage coming out of burst. It takes us 4 or so seconds for us to line up or 9k or so burst damage.

Class Balance from my perspective.

Most people will point the finger at operatives/IA but once geared they aren't nearly as powerful. Sure they'll stunlock a lesser geared player from full to close to dead but once geared their power scales down greatly.

Sorcerers - if they know how to kite it can be a good match up. I would say this is one of the easier classes for me to kill in a 1v1 fight provided I'm on flat ground and not in hutball where they can knock me off the edge and then blown up from above. In mass pvp or in void star on defense they destroy me. This is far more of a problem with melee in mass pvp than it is a sorcerer problem. This class can also easily escape to the safety of their team provided that the match is even.

Sorcerers - Healing. I feel kind of bad for this class ATM though not nearly as sorry as I feel for healing Imperial agents. Without a gaurd to assist them I can fairly easily kill this class. Not much more to say here, a great healer when ignored but vastly inferior to Mercs when playing against a good team.

Assassins - Not going to go into much detail on this class seeing that they are for the most part a clone of us. They have instant shock, we have project which lets us burst a bit harder. Not really many good ones on my server. Bug fixed for them:

Next up we have Operatives and Snipers

Melee operatives which are probably some of the most hated people around at low levels and when you're a fresh 50 can be hard to deal with really aren't a big issue after you break the 500 expertise point. If one gets the jump on me I lose most of the time, if I get the jump I win most of the time. They burst hard but are easily killed when their "force cloak" is down. This class seems very similar to a Shadow with a few exceptions. We have to line up our burst while they can bust you in a stun lock. They can also heal which makes them able to get back into combat faster. Slightly worse off than us if they get opened on.

Healing Operatives - LOL

Snipers: A good sniper will beat me the majority of the time if all of their CDs are up and I stick around. This isn't to hard to fix if you can get los on them multiple times and make them fight you on your terms. Going head to head with a sniper as a shadow will get you killed more often than not. Their weakness is their lack of mobility and how easy it can be for them to be kited. Strong ranged damage and survive-ability makes up for this though IMO.

Moving on to Sith Warriors we have:

Juggernaut - I have somewhat limited experience against good Juggernauts. They seem to have fairly high mitigation as tank spec with a decent damage output which makes me typically avoid them in war zones, its more productive to go to a point that I can kill someone at before backup can come. They have a good shot of beating me 1v1 if they know what they're doing. If they don't I can drop about 40%-50% of their HPs within the first 6 or so seconds. From there its still a battle of attrition to down them before they get backup.

DPS juggernauts - They seem rather easy to kite in 1v1 but in mass pvp they seem to put out plenty of punishment to who ever is around them. I feel this class in general is about on part with shadows.

Marauder: I used to think this class was fairly bad off but now that I'm starting to see more of them with gear they aren't as bad off as I had imagined. They have slightly higher sustained damage than shadows, and decent burst. Their defensive cool downs are their saving grace and can really turn a fight in their favor. Higher total damage and better surviveability vs a shadows stealth and higher burst. They seem ok to me.

Bounty Hunters:

Mercenary DPS: This class seems fine to me, they are rather easy to kill in 1v1 as a shadow but their aoe damage, range, and decent durability seem to make up for them being easily interrupt able. Tracer missiles really needs to be looked at, it makes the general skill cap of this class low and frustrates proficient players at the same time. No one wants their class to be a face roll class and mercs really just don't have another option when they DPS. This class is very strong in Hut Ball and decent in the other 2.

Mercenary Healer: These seem rather broken to me, they have insane base mitigation. A short cooldown instant heal, a long CD that can make them have another instant heal. Interrupt immunity CD, Heal that procs when they get hit. Decent CC, a knockback, stun. A healing merc will never lose a 1v1 fight and it takes a long time to kill them 2v1 if they know how to play. Borderline OP. Other healers could use some of the love that merc healers have gotten in PvP.

Powertech Tank: Very difficult to kill, reasonable damage. Good for holding points and Hut Balljust like any tank should be. Seems fine. Can a good amount of 1v1s.

Powertech DPS: When I fight against a good DPS powertech I can't help but to think what in the helI Bioware was thinking. This class has almost the same mitigation as a tank, amazing defensive and offensive cool downs. They're difficult to kill, difficult to kite, aoe lockdowns, stuns, stupid high burst damage. This is by far the strongest class out of any of them by a mile in SWTOR. This is the only class that I will lose 100% of the time to, they need to be looked at.

Edited by Salrog

Valor 66 Assassin on anchorhead + Valor 61 shadow in beta and I approve this message (mostly).

I dunno if he clarified, but it sounds like he's speaking from the perspective of infiltration shadow. I also don't necessarily agree with everything he wrote, but that's been his experience so I can't tell him its wrong :p. I've had several similar experiences myself.

However, maybe it's because you don't have any 500+ expertise operatives/scoundrels on your server, but these classes destroy me in group settings and if I get opened on or if they have a cloaking screen available my only chance is to run.

Even if I catch them out of stealth trading cds the fight is still even primarily due to the fact that my defenses don't work effectively on them (bugged force cloak/resilience+deflection does nothing+switching to combat technique does very little to help as they have 50% armor pen all the time) and theirs work against me. There's the additional issue of them being able to flash>heal midfight or force me to save my cc break and eat the full stun. Again this is if they are out of stealth when I engage.

If they open on me from stealth I 1) die immediately if they have their vanish or my cc break is down

2) end up with ~50% health after 1 attack and trying to kite to make up the difference in hp, jousting in and out with low slash, resilience, and knockback cd's. I usually die with them around ~35% hp using this strat, but trying to toe to toe is terrible in this situation.

If you need video proof it's in my stream, I even came up against some strong operatives/scoundrels today and there are more daily.

It's possible I'm doing it wrong but I typically find myself in the 1% of pvp'ers as well and I find it difficult to grasp as I've tried almost everything short of speccing tank and giving up on dps.

Edited by Lina_Inverse

Thank you for making sure I didn't need to read the rest of the post.

Lol sir. Just lol.

This coming from a person that:

Can't tell when his cool downs are up when a blue bar is covering them insinuating that they are in fact on CD.

Doesn't have throw the hutball keybound which apparently takes him 5 seconds to hit after coming out of a stun.

Cries constantly about population imbalances when the game is fine.

This coming from a person that:

Can't tell when his cool downs are up when a blue bar is covering them insinuating that they are in fact on CD.

Doesn't have throw the hutball keybound which apparently takes him 5 seconds to hit after coming out of a stun.

Cries constantly about population imbalances when the game is fine.

Wow, you must have been pretty upset to look up my past posts and also misread them so badly.

You're a joke. SA may not be SS on huttball but it is clearly one of the better classes. Force speed alone is absolutely rigged in huttball and if you need me to explain why you clearly arn't playing your class right.

Marauder burst isn't higher than shadow/assassin... As a sentinel I laugh in the face at most marauders because most people are just really bad at playing this class, but assassins/shadows have all of the tools to beat me quite easily in 1v1's. Your burst is higher than mine, you have way better cc including stuns that can be dpsed through (marauder has no stun that doesn't break on damage) you can open through stealth, you seem to have lots of abilities that give you higher parry and that really messes up sentinels as a class that relies on landing melee attacks.

It seems that tank/dps hybrid assassins are the way to go... They are very scary in PvP from my perspective as a sentinel because the parry rate really hurts my DPS while your DPS is simultaneously very strong.

Marauder burst isn't higher than shadow/assassin...

I said:

Higher total damage and better surviveability vs a shadows stealth and higher burst. They seem ok to me.

= we have higher burst.

As a sentinel I laugh in the face at most marauders because most people are just really bad at playing this class.

Agreed

But assassins/shadows have all of the tools to beat me quite easily in 1v1's. Your burst is higher than mine, you have way better cc including stuns that can be dpsed through (marauder has no stun that doesn't break on damage) you can open through stealth, you seem to have lots of abilities that give you higher parry and that really messes up sentinels as a class that relies on landing melee attacks.

As long as we get the opener I agree. You can live long enough to call for an assist. Guarded by the force is VERY strong.

It seems that tank/dps hybrid assassins are the way to go... They are very scary in PvP from my perspective as a sentinel because the parry rate really hurts my DPS while your DPS is simultaneously very strong.

Never tried it can't comment.

Cause they can beat you, they should be nerfed? how arrogant

Pyrotechs are an incredibly strong class right now. Within 2 or 3 seconds a good/geared pyrotech can have me down to about 50% hp, heavily snared, and more or less helpless as a sentinel. I struggle to stay in range of pyros while they deal massive burst damage and have great survivability and utility.

P.S. I'm a battlemaster sentinel and i'm one of two sentinels on my server who really know how to play the class... Still really struggle against any competent and geared pyros...

Don't see how you can argue that pyros aren't at least the second best class in this game, maybe not quite as good in 1 on 1 as an operative, but really close + they have amazing utility. I think it is fair to say they are the best overall class in this game from a warzone perspective. Their utility is amazing in huttball, if they're a skilled player they can use guard strategically even in dps spec which is hugely beneficial to healers, and all of this with burst that might be the second highest in the game + solid tankiness and good defensive cds.

Pyrotechs are an incredibly strong class right now. Within 2 or 3 seconds a good/geared pyrotech can have me down to about 50% hp, heavily snared, and more or less helpless as a sentinel. I struggle to stay in range of pyros while they deal massive burst damage and have great survivability and utility.

P.S. I'm a battlemaster sentinel and i'm one of two sentinels on my server who really know how to play the class... Still really struggle against any competent and geared pyros...

Don't see how you can argue that pyros aren't at least the second best class in this game, maybe not quite as good in 1 on 1 as an operative, but really close + they have amazing utility. I think it is fair to say they are the best overall class in this game from a warzone perspective. Their utility is amazing in huttball, if they're a skilled player they can use guard strategically even in dps spec which is hugely beneficial to healers, and all of this with burst that might be the second highest in the game + solid tankiness and good defensive cds.

Seems like medium armor and a few more defensive CDs doesn't help the cause. Interesting seeing another classes perspective.

Pyro PT is certainly strong. However they don't really have any more survivability than most dps classes. Heavy armor without Ion Cylinder up is nothing, especially with all the armor pen running around. Other than that the only real defensive cd is 25% dr every 2min for 12sec. They are also heavily rng based for burst and don't hit as hard as many other dps classes. (rage jugs/maras, ops, sins, arsenal mercs) They also don't have as much crit on their burst moves as you'll normally see on other dps specs. They also hog a ton of resources unless they have amazing dice or have the 1.5min talented cd up and so can lack finishing power since they have no execute.

Pretty good all around and definitely can win a 1v1 against any class, but also can lose a 1v1 to any class outside of maybe a healer. Just remember to pop defensive cds when you get the blinking bomb on you since most good pyros will try to line up a rail shot to hit with the TD explosion.