Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Things you always wanted to know...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Things you always wanted to know...

tacito
07.20.2012 , 01:14 PM | #11
Regarding Orbital Strike: When to use, when Conealment or Lethality respectively? I've run some tests, with little actual results. If anything, it seems Concealment performance (at least for me) isn't too dependent on the correct use of Orbital Strike, since differences in dps were rather small. I'd love to hear some other experience on that, though.

MobiusZero
07.20.2012 , 01:57 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by tacito View Post
Regarding Orbital Strike: When to use, when Conealment or Lethality respectively? I've run some tests, with little actual results. If anything, it seems Concealment performance (at least for me) isn't too dependent on the correct use of Orbital Strike, since differences in dps were rather small. I'd love to hear some other experience on that, though.
I usually use orbital strike as a guarantee that no one can cap a node for 12 seconds. Its value is not in its DPS, since most players will run from its radius.

tacito
07.20.2012 , 02:06 PM | #13
Well, that's certainly true, but I'm mainly a PvE player. So I'm more interested in its optimal form of use for operations. That the intended target should be stationary enough over the duration to be hit by all strikes remains an important point, of course.

But so far, my tests show little to no difference between "no orbital strikes at all" and "whenever off cooldown and possible without screwing up somewhere else". Also, the damage difference between lethality and concealment is extremely small for me so far. It basically boils down to "Lethality has more buttons to press, thus more interesting" vs. "lethality has to track dots in this game, which is basically fighting the UI more than it is fighting the enemy".

ACTroyan
07.21.2012 , 09:58 PM | #14
is there an optimum concealment rotation assuming debilitate CD is up? is the stim boost actually worth burning a TA over instead of lacerating? i was thinking AB>HS>Shiv>Debilitate>cover>explosive probe>laceratex2(or 1x and a stim boost) then AB>BS?

Ryemfoh
07.22.2012 , 01:02 AM | #15
Well, that's certainly true, but I'm mainly a PvE player. So I'm more interested in its optimal form of use for operations. That the intended target should be stationary enough over the duration to be hit by all strikes remains an important point, of course.

But so far, my tests show little to no difference between "no orbital strikes at all" and "whenever off cooldown and possible without screwing up somewhere else". Also, the damage difference between lethality and concealment is extremely small for me so far. It basically boils down to "Lethality has more buttons to press, thus more interesting" vs. "lethality has to track dots in this game, which is basically fighting the UI more than it is fighting the enemy".
Theoretically using Orbital Strike every cooldown is a DPS gain in PVE, however practically it is often not good to do so because it can easily put you in an energy hole. I tend to use it whenever AP comes off cooldown to cover the higher output. This should also align with Cloaking Screen coming off cooldown, which has the extra energy requirement of AB+HS. I tend to use AB+HS>CorDart (if not up) / Shiv > OrbS > AB+BS > roation during this period, and will pop AP at the end of the OrbS.
"Adventure, excitement, a Jedi craves not these things" -- Silent Bob

Ryemfoh
07.22.2012 , 01:12 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ACTroyan View Post
is there an optimum concealment rotation assuming debilitate CD is up? is the stim boost actually worth burning a TA over instead of lacerating? i was thinking AB>HS>Shiv>Debilitate>cover>explosive probe>laceratex2(or 1x and a stim boost) then AB>BS?
In PVE (mostly solo play) I tend to save Debilitate for interrupts or for emergency heals .. it's not really required outside of that once you have a bit of gear.

In PVP there is no "optimal" rotation - it all depends on what your opponent does. While you might be blowing through some opponents pretty quickly, you won't actually know that until 3 - 5 seconds into the fight, so it's generally not advised to assume that you'll be able to drop them and blow your CD's up-front. I tend to open with:
AB+HS>Shiv>Root>EP (your next move will be AB+BS and then you'll start with Lacerations)
By this point you should have a fairly good idea if you're going to be able to drop the guy fast - if you can, why waste Deb on him/her? If you can't, save Deb to interrupt their big hitters or to mitigate their cooldowns, or to give yourself a breather while BS is on cooldown.

I generally use Stim on the first Shiv if AB+HS doesn't crit since the non-crit damage is dismal and you pretty-much know that the fight isn't going to be short

ACTroyan
07.22.2012 , 02:34 AM | #17
i see, so i guess i agree for the most part but not throwing deb into the rotation early on sorcs and assassins usually nets me being knocked back and have to fight the kiting game, is the root enough to prevent that?

Ryemfoh
07.22.2012 , 10:23 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ACTroyan View Post
i see, so i guess i agree for the most part but not throwing deb into the rotation early on sorcs and assassins usually nets me being knocked back and have to fight the kiting game, is the root enough to prevent that?
Position for the knockback and the root / slow should be enough for you to get back in range. However against Sorc's I usually save the root for when they hit sprint so in that case I might Deb offensively to make sure I get Backstab on cooldown before they get some range. It really depends on what your opponent is doing.

tacito
07.31.2012 , 03:37 PM | #19
Okay, another question: Assuming there's another operative, and a sniper, and all are specced Lethality. How on earth are you supposed to keep track of your dots?

Now, of course, I could put a stopwatch on my desk, but I think the game should provide the means to play a spec. Is there some UI feature that allows to only show my debuffs? Display my debuffs as bigger icons? Ran into that situation today... granted, it won't happen often, but 4 or 5 lethality specs seriously make the whole thing unplayable. It only was a world boss, so no biggie, but...

TheOpf
07.31.2012 , 03:43 PM | #20
Okay, another question: Assuming there's another operative, and a sniper, and all are specced Lethality. How on earth are you supposed to keep track of your dots?

Now, of course, I could put a stopwatch on my desk, but I think the game should provide the means to play a spec. Is there some UI feature that allows to only show my debuffs? Display my debuffs as bigger icons? Ran into that situation today... granted, it won't happen often, but 4 or 5 lethality specs seriously make the whole thing unplayable. It only was a world boss, so no biggie, but...
You can't. Unfortunately they all look the same, and sometimes it bugs out and Vital shot only shows up as one dot. It drives me bananas, and is another frustrating thing with the game. Your best bet is to have a rotation worked out to the time when you are going to cast yoru dot and then stick to it. You should be close each time.
The Bounty Hunter AP Guide: Always Learning -Vanguard Tactics Guide: Where is my PG Slow?
Anam Ithieor- 50 AP Powertech
Anbas Ithieor- 20 Operative (lethality/healer)