Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are pub stories good?

OldVengeance
01.10.2019 , 12:51 AM | #11
I enjoyed the Republic stories, especially the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular.

VelvetSanity
01.10.2019 , 07:35 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
It shows up in a few places that are a bit odd, but it's not the only canned response they use for the Consular. I know they did this for every class, but the Consular seems to be to an excess. There will be times were the response text reads one thing and you'll get this stupid, out of context sounding canned reply. It's almost like they couldn't pay Nolan North to voice a full script so they just recorded a few responses that show up as an option in almost every conversation. It really detracts from what is, to me, one of the better stories and classes in the game.
My consular’s female, so I’ve never once heard Nolan North’s voice, so...

This has me thinking, though, does male vs female have more of an effect on how a class comes across other than who the VA is and which companions you can romance? Like, are some of the lines/responses different?
Pre-CU Bria refugee
Syvari Lun - Cathar Jedi Sage
Darth Vaccina - Twi’lek Sith Sorceress

SteveTheCynic
01.10.2019 , 07:59 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by VelvetSanity View Post
This has me thinking, though, does male vs female have more of an effect on how a class comes across other than who the VA is and which companions you can romance? Like, are some of the lines/responses different?
In general, the lines themselves aren't very different. The main differences are in NPC lines that refer to the player character, where the NPCs will use "he" or "she" (or appropriate variations) as appropriate for the sex of the player. The earliest such lines I can think of are on the starter worlds, notably when a Trooper goes to grab the info about the sep leaders during the Mannett Point segment.

The three guys you confront are all taken aback when you arrive, until the fat guy says, "It's just one woman! Kill her!" or "It's just one man! Kill him!" or similar. Notice that the player doesn't say anything different.

Scenarios where you can flirt with NPCs will show variations in your lines, at the very least between "Flirt" and "No Flirt" lines, but that doesn't really do much to change the overall impression of the PC. The VA's voice does far more than the lines themselves, mostly.

The VAs for female Inq/English and female Inq/French give the character a very different feel, with the English-language VA being deliciously evil (almost as if being evil like that is giving her a ... um ... thrill, if you get my drift), and the French-language one radiating flat menace.

Some lines come off different between languages - the mention of "out of regulation" things in the Trooperette's locker during the [Flirt] for "Surprise Inspection" in the Aric story is quite different in French, with the line becoming an epic tease / invitation-to-grope: "Are you going to inspect my equipment?" with the VA's tone and stuff definitely indicating that she means the equipment that's inside the armour that she's wearing *right*now*. (Yes, I mean her body.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

VelvetSanity
01.10.2019 , 08:09 AM | #14
Language affecting tone and connotations isn’t surprising, that’s caused by cultural differences, which have always been one of the biggest obstacles to truly accurate translation.

I can see what you mean about the thrill, for Vaccina I interpreted it (especially on Korriban/dk) as “ooh, yeah, I’m gonna become more powerful than all of you, then let’s see who’s the slave, you pathetic fools” combined with snarky defiance. Later on, as she actually became powerful, the snark kind of went away and I started to miss it...
Pre-CU Bria refugee

Celise
01.10.2019 , 08:14 AM | #15
The Jedi Knight storyline is probably the best followed by the smuggler and then the bog-standard trooper, with the utterly boring Jedi Consular pulling up the rear with the worst of the 8 stories. The Imperial storylines can run circles around the Republic storylines for the most part. I mean playing a typical lockstepping LS Jedi or Trooper is hardly original or anything more than brown-nosing and completing objectives but the Smuggler is probably one of the least likely people you'd expect to make it as a galactic hero .

Spoiler

VelvetSanity
01.10.2019 , 08:26 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
The Jedi Knight storyline is probably the best followed by the smuggler and then the bog-standard trooper, with the utterly boring Jedi Consular pulling up the rear with the worst of the 8 stories. The Imperial storylines can run circles around the Republic storylines for the most part. I mean playing a typical lockstepping LS Jedi or Trooper is hardly original or anything more than brown-nosing and completing objectives but the Smuggler is probably one of the least likely people you'd expect to make it as a galactic hero .

Spoiler
Spoiler
Pre-CU Bria refugee

Limariko
01.10.2019 , 10:34 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
I mean playing a typical lockstepping LS Jedi or Trooper is hardly original or anything more than brown-nosing and completing objectives but the Smuggler is probably one of the least likely people you'd expect to make it as a galactic hero .
When I was unlocking maxxed out Dark Side for the Achievement, I did it on a Jedi Knight where I always took the DS option and it was pretty funny watching the Jedi Council do Olympic level mental gymnastics to rationalize your actions. My favorite being when my started out deep pine green Mirialan who at that point was as green as an overboiled pea with red eyes from nearing level IV Dark getting told to be careful or risk Dark Side temptation.
My Referral link for the clicking: http://www.swtor.com/r/p2FZFM

You get stuff, I get stuff. It's a fair deal- Take It!

krakadyla
01.10.2019 , 11:21 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Limariko View Post
When I was unlocking maxxed out Dark Side for the Achievement, I did it on a Jedi Knight where I always took the DS option and it was pretty funny watching the Jedi Council do Olympic level mental gymnastics to rationalize your actions. My favorite being when my started out deep pine green Mirialan who at that point was as green as an overboiled pea with red eyes from nearing level IV Dark getting told to be careful or risk Dark Side temptation.
Going full Stupid Evil was the only way that made JK story tolerable for me, and yeah, reactions were golden. Gee, no sh†t, Satele, what gave me away? My looks (I also have a bright green Mirialan )? The trail of corpses following me from planet to planet? The new BFF Scourge the Emperor's Ex-Wrath approving of everything I do?

Also, regarding stock answers -- somehow I seldom got "Jedi way is to serve", guess I intuitively avoided potentially boring answers, but I was truly unlucky with the Imp side's murder and mayhem awaiting, no heart left beating and particularly egregious "drenched in blood from head to toe", because this moronic line belongs to usually professional Agent.

SteveTheCynic
01.10.2019 , 12:27 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by krakadyla View Post
The trail of corpses following me from planet to planet?
Nah, everybody has that, from the most black-hearted of Inquisitors to the most paragonic paragons of Consular virtue.

Seriously. The body count we leave behind even if we try hard to stealth our Shadows through *everything* is just horrifying, and would, here on Earth, get us locked up basically *forever* despite our protestations that we were just helping them to become one with the Force.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

JJKerryee
01.10.2019 , 03:27 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by krakadyla View Post
Speaking of Hero's Journeys, Jedi Knight's story this is not. It's pretty bogstandard wish fulfillment fantasy with everyone starting to ooh and aaah how TOTALLY AWESOME AT EVERYTHING OMG you are as soon as you haul your scrawny level 1 arse onto the starter planet. At the end of the story said arse is all blistery due to excess kissing for no bloody good reason at all, because you start OMG AWESOME, you end OMG AWESOME and never, ever have to work from bottom to the top like, say, Agent, BH, heck, any class but Knight.
This isn't completely true. When you arrive at Tython you are basically a nobody..you only start getting called a hero after saving Tython from the Flesh Raider threat. You don't just arrive on the planet and have everyone bow to you for simply existing like you're trying to imply. You also go through one of the worst situations a Jedi can face.
Spoiler

So no, the Knight story isn't just amazing oohs and ahhs. You get beaten down as well. I won't deny the story itself is a big cliche, though.
Use my referral link, you know you want to: http://www.swtor.com/r/qb2Ygz And we both get good things!
Retreat is not weakness, it is strategy.