Are pub stories good?

TGaP_Andrey

I have an urge for the sake of variety to complete a one or another story for the Republic. But as dedicated Imp since 2013 I feel that even if I manage to progress through working for my enemies, anyway I'll just die from an heart attack when I reach Corellia, because I can imagine what **** will do pubs to my imp boiz if the Empire eventually lost the planet at the cost of tenth of its whole military.

Is it worth it? I heard a lot of praise for Jedi stories, especially Knight's, for intense and dramatic storytelling. And about Consular's too - like it has some good "Wow!" moments even better than that of Imperial Agent. Trooper story has good written antagonists - that's what I've heard at least. :rak_02:

My favorite republic story is the smuggler. It ranges from scruffy nerf-herder to cynic pirate, and lets me make fun of hokey religions and ancient weapons. If you liked the hunter for following his own agenda outside of politics and force mumbo-jumbo, you really have to play a smuggler.

Knight is good but tries too hard to be KOTOR 3, IMO, it does a great job at showcasing the hubris of the jedi, though.

Next is trooper. a solid war story, if you like that thing. Female VA is Jennifer Hale, so it's basically Mass Effect 4. ;)

Both Consular voice actors seem to have gone out of their way to sound as bland and boring as the story is.

Admittedly the consular story is perhaps the most realistic depiction of a Jedi since Alec Guinness, but that doesn't work for me with the main protagonist.

Edited by Mubrak

Knight is the best republic story IMHO. It's basically KOTOR 3 and has quite a bit of variety of choices and companions ranging from an astromech droid to a sith. It's also the story that makes the most sense for KOTFE and KOTET. The only problem really is that the story has quite a few cliches.

Smuggler is next. You can basically be anyone you want...A loyal republic privateer or a bloodthirsty pirate. The story is worth it just for the snarky remarks the smuggler is constantly making. However, in terms of the actual story, it's pretty irrelevant, since you don't do anything too important.

The Trooper story starts with an interesting plot, but after chapter I, it loses its originality and becomes pretty normal. But if you like war stories it's decent enough. The simple fact that Jennifer Hale is the voice of the female trooper should make you want to play it, though.

Unfortunately, the consular is the last one for me. It's a good story, but when you compare it to the others, it just can't hold its own against them. I mean the premise of the story is pretty good, a loyal Jedi who is strong with the force and saves the republic by saving the Jedi from a plague, uniting the core worlds and defeating the emperor's children. That sounds amazing, right? Well, it is, but when you are playing it doesn't really feel amazing. The boring voices from both consulars and the bland companions certainly don't help it either.

Edited by JJKerryee

Already have smuggler's story completed - the only of pub's because of his "freelancer"/non-aligned business, so it would obviously hurt muh feewings less during playthrough. And I do agree it's pretty decent, except for companions - shamefully they seem extremely pathetic and boring compared to Gault alone, not to mention all of BH's crew. But protag himself is amazing at snarky remarks and other comedy stuff, so his colorful individuality somewhat pays for his team of nobody's.

I will second (third?) Smuggler being a fun and dynamic story. It does play more like a BH (rebel, no a sycophant, or follower of hokey religions) than it's mirror class (Agent).

I like Consular. To me it is more of a Jedi story (a healer and diplomat) than the Knight (which I agree is trying too hard). The problem with the VA is they reused too many lines, so quite often what you say, the tone and inflection, doesn't match with the context. The Consular catchphrase is "the Jedi way is to serve," which is fine, except they only recorded it once and use it everywhere. This happens a lot with the Consular. The VA's they used are great in other properties, they were really underutilized and mismanaged here (IMO). Ignore the voice acting and read the lines in your own voice. Works much better.

Knight story is fine. It's not my favorite but it can be fun.

Trooper story I thought was a little boring, but I'm not really into military fiction.

Edited by ceryxp

I will second (third?) Smuggler being a fun and dynamic story. It does play more like a BH (rebel, no a sycophant, or follower of hokey religions) than it's mirror class (Agent).

I like Consular. To me it is more of a Jedi story (a healer and diplomat) than the Knight (which I agree is trying too hard). The problem with the VA is they reused too many lines, so quite often what you say, the tone and inflection, doesn't match with the context. The Consular catchphrase is "the Jedi way is to serve," which is fine, except they only recorded it once and use it everywhere. This happens a lot with the Consular. The VA's they used are great in other properties, they were really underutilized and mismanaged here (IMO). Ignore the voice acting and read the lines in your own voice. Works much better.

Knight story is fine. It's not my favorite but it can be fun.

Trooper story I thought was a little boring, but I'm not really into military fiction.

I only heard that line a couple of times with my consular. Really, you only get the bland cliche response if you choose what you think is the stereotypical bland cliche expected response. :)

Is it worth it? I heard a lot of praise for Jedi stories, especially Knight's, for intense and dramatic storytelling. And about Consular's too - like it has some good "Wow!" moments even better than that of Imperial Agent. Trooper story has good written antagonists - that's what I've heard at least. :rak_02:

Trooper's story has fantastic antagonists; unfortunately, you deal with them in the end of Chapter 1 and then your antagonists are an inanimate object (a ship, I think? Or a military base of some sort?) and "Who is this dude and why does he think it's personal?" Still, I quite liked it. Some pretty great characters, one of the least cringey romances (not with a companion though). Very decently executed if a little standard Hero's Journey.

Speaking of Hero's Journeys, Jedi Knight's story this is not. It's pretty bogstandard wish fulfillment fantasy with everyone starting to ooh and aaah how TOTALLY AWESOME AT EVERYTHING OMG you are as soon as you haul your scrawny level 1 arse onto the starter planet. At the end of the story said arse is all blistery due to excess kissing for no bloody good reason at all, because you start OMG AWESOME, you end OMG AWESOME and never, ever have to work from bottom to the top like, say, Agent, BH, heck, any class but Knight. Still, if you like your ego fellated in really tacky, unsubtle manner, you might like it. (Not judging! You do you, hypothetical you).

I liked Consular's story despite of the focus shift between Chapter 1 and following ones. Without much spoiling you do diplomacy, get interesting people to meet and quality writing to read. Voice acting of main characters redefines monotony though.

From my favorite to my least favorite. Disclaimer:I don't think any of them are bad but some are better than the others.

Smuggler story: This is probably the funniest class story, it features a lot of Smuggler tropes for both LS/DS and even neutral Smugglers. I found the story really engaging and most of the companions themselves are interesting and do fit your crew.

Trooper: While this isn't as fantastic and spectacular in terms of OP characters I found that seeing the war through the eyes of a mere Elite Trooper instead of a Jedi brought something new to the table. The only companion I dislike is 4X.

Jedi Consular: The story is not as action oriented as the Jedi Knight, it is more focused on politics. The inner workings of the Jedi, The Force and the Republic as a whole. And this is why I really enjoy the storyline, some companions are kind of meh. But others are pretty interesting.

Jedi Knight: To me the weakest of all class stories, this is essentially just the standard Jedi journey. The scenes with the Emperor are really interesting but other than that I feel like Consular brings far more to the table. As far as companions goes though I think most of them are fine, with a special mention to Lord Scourge.

Imperial's pretty much my favorite faction, but I did play through each of the Republic ones to see how they were.

Not much more I can add to what's already been said about the individual stories. I thought Smuggler was the best, Trooper and Jedi Knight were okay with Jedi Consular I felt was more meh. What I really liked about the Republic stories was seeing the different perspective that the Republic isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I only heard that line a couple of times with my consular. Really, you only get the bland cliche response if you choose what you think is the stereotypical bland cliche expected response. :)

It shows up in a few places that are a bit odd, but it's not the only canned response they use for the Consular. I know they did this for every class, but the Consular seems to be to an excess. There will be times were the response text reads one thing and you'll get this stupid, out of context sounding canned reply. It's almost like they couldn't pay Nolan North to voice a full script so they just recorded a few responses that show up as an option in almost every conversation. It really detracts from what is, to me, one of the better stories and classes in the game.

It shows up in a few places that are a bit odd, but it's not the only canned response they use for the Consular. I know they did this for every class, but the Consular seems to be to an excess. There will be times were the response text reads one thing and you'll get this stupid, out of context sounding canned reply. It's almost like they couldn't pay Nolan North to voice a full script so they just recorded a few responses that show up as an option in almost every conversation. It really detracts from what is, to me, one of the better stories and classes in the game.

My consular’s female, so I’ve never once heard Nolan North’s voice, so...

This has me thinking, though, does male vs female have more of an effect on how a class comes across other than who the VA is and which companions you can romance? Like, are some of the lines/responses different?

This has me thinking, though, does male vs female have more of an effect on how a class comes across other than who the VA is and which companions you can romance? Like, are some of the lines/responses different?

In general, the lines themselves aren't very different. The main differences are in NPC lines that refer to the player character, where the NPCs will use "he" or "she" (or appropriate variations) as appropriate for the sex of the player. The earliest such lines I can think of are on the starter worlds, notably when a Trooper goes to grab the info about the sep leaders during the Mannett Point segment.

The three guys you confront are all taken aback when you arrive, until the fat guy says, "It's just one woman! Kill her!" or "It's just one man! Kill him!" or similar. Notice that the player doesn't say anything different.

Scenarios where you can flirt with NPCs will show variations in your lines, at the very least between "Flirt" and "No Flirt" lines, but that doesn't really do much to change the overall impression of the PC. The VA's voice does far more than the lines themselves, mostly.

The VAs for female Inq/English and female Inq/French give the character a very different feel, with the English-language VA being deliciously evil (almost as if being evil like that is giving her a ... um ... thrill, if you get my drift), and the French-language one radiating flat menace.

Some lines come off different between languages - the mention of "out of regulation" things in the Trooperette's locker during the [Flirt] for "Surprise Inspection" in the Aric story is quite different in French, with the line becoming an epic tease / invitation-to-grope: "Are you going to inspect my equipment?" with the VA's tone and stuff definitely indicating that she means the equipment that's inside the armour that she's wearing *right*now*. (Yes, I mean her body.)

Language affecting tone and connotations isn’t surprising, that’s caused by cultural differences, which have always been one of the biggest obstacles to truly accurate translation.

I can see what you mean about the thrill, for Vaccina I interpreted it (especially on Korriban/dk) as “ooh, yeah, I’m gonna become more powerful than all of you, then let’s see who’s the slave, you pathetic fools” combined with snarky defiance. :D Later on, as she actually became powerful, the snark kind of went away and I started to miss it...

The Jedi Knight storyline is probably the best followed by the smuggler and then the bog-standard trooper, with the utterly boring Jedi Consular pulling up the rear with the worst of the 8 stories. The Imperial storylines can run circles around the Republic storylines for the most part. I mean playing a typical lockstepping LS Jedi or Trooper is hardly original or anything more than brown-nosing and completing objectives but the Smuggler is probably one of the least likely people you'd expect to make it as a galactic hero :D.

The Warrior has fat man Baras to deal with.

The Inquisitor has the Sith Hierarchy and their masters to deal with.

The Hunter has fellow scum and Sith Master Jun Seros to deal with.

The Agent has Jadus and fellow spies to deal with.

The Jedi Knight storyline is probably the best followed by the smuggler and then the bog-standard trooper, with the utterly boring Jedi Consular pulling up the rear with the worst of the 8 stories. The Imperial storylines can run circles around the Republic storylines for the most part. I mean playing a typical lockstepping LS Jedi or Trooper is hardly original or anything more than brown-nosing and completing objectives but the Smuggler is probably one of the least likely people you'd expect to make it as a galactic hero :D.

The Warrior has fat man Baras to deal with.

The Inquisitor has the Sith Hierarchy and their masters to deal with.

The Hunter has fellow scum and Sith Master Jun Seros to deal with.

The Agent has Jadus and fellow spies to deal with.

The Warrior gets Darth Cartman.

The Inquisitor gets the cliche oppressive “how dare a slave do anything other than grovel for mercy” power-mad nonsense.

The Hunter gets a fairly cliche ‘prove your ability and fend off challengers’ story, as well as a Jedi falling to the dark side to stop you.

The Agent gets to play James Bond.

:D

The Consular is a rather zen diplomat/protector/healer.

Still have to finish the other pub class stories...

Edited by VelvetSanity

I mean playing a typical lockstepping LS Jedi or Trooper is hardly original or anything more than brown-nosing and completing objectives but the Smuggler is probably one of the least likely people you'd expect to make it as a galactic hero :D.

When I was unlocking maxxed out Dark Side for the Achievement, I did it on a Jedi Knight where I always took the DS option and it was pretty funny watching the Jedi Council do Olympic level mental gymnastics to rationalize your actions. My favorite being when my started out deep pine green Mirialan who at that point was as green as an overboiled pea with red eyes from nearing level IV Dark getting told to be careful or risk Dark Side temptation.

When I was unlocking maxxed out Dark Side for the Achievement, I did it on a Jedi Knight where I always took the DS option and it was pretty funny watching the Jedi Council do Olympic level mental gymnastics to rationalize your actions. My favorite being when my started out deep pine green Mirialan who at that point was as green as an overboiled pea with red eyes from nearing level IV Dark getting told to be careful or risk Dark Side temptation.

Going full Stupid Evil was the only way that made JK story tolerable for me, and yeah, reactions were golden. Gee, no sh†t, Satele, what gave me away? My looks (I also have a bright green Mirialan :D)? The trail of corpses following me from planet to planet? The new BFF Scourge the Emperor's Ex-Wrath approving of everything I do? :D

Also, regarding stock answers -- somehow I seldom got "Jedi way is to serve", guess I intuitively avoided potentially boring answers, but I was truly unlucky with the Imp side's murder and mayhem awaiting, no heart left beating and particularly egregious "drenched in blood from head to toe", because this moronic line belongs to usually professional Agent.

The trail of corpses following me from planet to planet?

Nah, everybody has that, from the most black-hearted of Inquisitors to the most paragonic paragons of Consular virtue.

Seriously. The body count we leave behind even if we try hard to stealth our Shadows through *everything* is just horrifying, and would, here on Earth, get us locked up basically *forever* despite our protestations that we were just helping them to become one with the Force.

Speaking of Hero's Journeys, Jedi Knight's story this is not. It's pretty bogstandard wish fulfillment fantasy with everyone starting to ooh and aaah how TOTALLY AWESOME AT EVERYTHING OMG you are as soon as you haul your scrawny level 1 arse onto the starter planet. At the end of the story said arse is all blistery due to excess kissing for no bloody good reason at all, because you start OMG AWESOME, you end OMG AWESOME and never, ever have to work from bottom to the top like, say, Agent, BH, heck, any class but Knight.
This isn't completely true. When you arrive at Tython you are basically a nobody..you only start getting called a hero after saving Tython from the Flesh Raider threat. You don't just arrive on the planet and have everyone bow to you for simply existing like you're trying to imply. You also go through one of the worst situations a Jedi can face.

You try to fight the Emperor and get absolutely wrecked by him with him barely moving a finger. Then you fall to the dark side and fall under the Emperor's control for quite some time. It is also said by an NPC that you committed horrible crimes when he was controlling you. Yes, you were able to free yourself, but only with Master Orgus help.)

So no, the Knight story isn't just amazing oohs and ahhs. You get beaten down as well. I won't deny the story itself is a big cliche, though.

Edited by JJKerryee

This isn't completely true. When you arrive at Tython you are basically a nobody..you only start getting called a hero after saving Tython from the Flesh Raider threat. You don't just arrive on the planet and have everyone bow to you for simply existing like you're trying to imply. You also go through one of the worst situations a Jedi can face.

Thing is, 1) Flesh Raiders are pathetic chumps; 2) Consular faces the same chumps and it's brushed off because they are, well, chumps not worth paying attention to. Vermin. You should not be too proud about vermin extermination achievements. Well, not unless you think getting "You tried" award is worth something. And it's not even in the same galaxy with "the worst situations a Jedi can face"

As for the spoiler thing...it's very brief, not detailed and -- most importantly -- at the end of it you find out that you are not just the super duper Chosen One, but, gasp, super duper PROPHECIED Chosen One! With a prophecy to back up your Chosen Oneness! Proof you're better than Revan, Exile and them two + Kreia raised to the 11st power! OMG W T F BBQ!

...yeah. Not a fan of the JK story, if anyone could not guess by now.

Thing is, 1) Flesh Raiders are pathetic chumps; 2) Consular faces the same chumps and it's brushed off because they are, well, chumps not worth paying attention to. Vermin. You should not be too proud about vermin extermination achievements. Well, not unless you think getting "You tried" award is worth something. And it's not even in the same galaxy with "the worst situations a Jedi can face".

That isn't the point. You don't get congratulated for killing flesh raiders. You get congratulated because you saved Tython from Bengel Morr a dark Jedi who was using the flesh raiders as an army to seize the planet and for saving Master Orgus. You also make an alliance between the Kalikori Village and the Jedi. Consular's story doesn't touch on that subject because it wouldn't make any sense for both stories to work around it since the Knight ends the threat.

About the " worst situations a Jedi can face" I wasn't talking about the flesh raider threat, but talking about falling to the dark side. Also, my point still stands about the fall to the dark side.

Edited by JJKerryee

...yeah. Not a fan of the JK story, if anyone could not guess by now.

I'm not either, but for different reasons.

The entirety of Chapter 2 of the JK story can be summed up as "gross stupidity and blindly fatuous optimism". From all participants, including the player character. I'm definitely not a fan of that.

OK, I get that there's a bit of that in all the stories, somewhat (Inquisitor, I'm looking at you), but it's taken to the N thousandth degree by the JK.

You all are keep saying Consular story is "dull-dull-dull-dull-dull"(Zash's impersonation mode on/off).

But I also heard a lot of similar negative remarks about Inquisitor story, though I very like it and like it more than everything else I've completed at this moment.

I do like Force-related stuff, Jedi/Sith way, obscure technics, mysticism and all that. The only thing in KotFE which I did enjoy was 12 chapter consisting of talking with Satele and Marr about Force and matters of power, making a lightsaber and confronting the spirit of Valkorion. The chapter that had the least amount of combat and war, now who would have thought?

Furthermore I really disdain "Hero's Jorney"-like stories e.g. OT movies and first KotOR, so, considering what you all have said about JK story, I guess I won't like it that much. And SW story was just a tasteless Vaderesque pile of crap imo - I still regret I've played it - though it's like the most popular story among players (no offense every1). "Boo, I beat the strongest guy of our enemy, IM KEWL AND STRONK -/L-A-P-D-O-G/-, DUUUH" - no, thanks.

So keeping in mind everything I said about my taste, what do ya think, will I still find Consular's story boring and dull? I need a somewhat more intel about the story apart from "it's about diplomacy and *****" :D

Edited by TGaP_Andrey

"Boo, I beat the strongest guy of our enemy, IM KEWL AND STRONK -/L-A-P-D-O-G/-, DUUUH" - no, thanks.

So keeping in mind everything I said about my taste, what do ya think, will I still find Consular's story boring and dull? I need a somewhat more intel about the story apart from "it's about diplomacy and *****" :D

Hi five, my man. I privately nicknamed SW "Darth Pitbull" after I finished the story. :D

I think you would like JC story. It has plenty of Force stuff, obscure rituals and mysticism, and everything's presented in a pretty thoughtful way. The oft-forgotten aspect of what makes a Jedi (other than swinging a glowstick really gud) -- reaching out and trying to understand varied, different cultures to gain knowledge, or to mediate between squabbling factions -- is sufficiently explored as well. Plus, starting from Chapter 2, you have the most interesting ship of them all, with a bunch of quite different people hanging out and offering comments after each mission. And remember how Sith Inquisitor would say things that make people go "Eheheh...", nod and slowly back away? Jedi Consular has them too, only puzzled look and "Whatever you say, Master Jedi" version.

And if you don't like it, feel free to come back and tell what you think about my taste in video games. :D