Malgus: who thinks he actually died?

Ancaglon

No cutscene, no dramatic last words, not even a Noooooooooo!

Personally I think both he and Revan are reserved for comebacks.

Also, as I've pointed out elsewhere, his final dialogue before the fight sets up a Xanatos gambit, where he tells us that if he dies, the station will blow up along with the fleet that's attacking it -- this is just ignored.

I always subscribe to this law and it never lets me down. If you don't see them actually die. They don't die. This occurs all throughout the game and various char storylines as well. We see Malgus fall. We do not see him die. Thus. He's still alive.

I always subscribe to this law and it never lets me down. If you don't see them actually die. They don't die. This occurs all throughout the game and various char storylines as well. We see Malgus fall. We do not see him die. Thus. He's still alive.

I disagree.

One reason is because he wasn't some crappy mid level boss like Revan was. He had his own Empire, his own shadow fleet, and really one of the best boss battles in this game. They sent him out epically, and I can't imagine how they could make it better than throwing him down a hole in his throne room (Just like Palpatine).

Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters. It's extremely cheesy, to the point in which said occurrence was a sad joke in the WoW community for many years after they brought back the Kael'Thas character, who had supposedly been killed.

I disagree.

One reason is because he wasn't some crappy mid level boss like Revan was. He had his own Empire, his own shadow fleet, and really one of the best boss battles in this game. They sent him out epically, and I can't imagine how they could make it better than throwing him down a hole in his throne room (Just like Palpatine).

Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters. It's extremely cheesy, to the point in which said occurrence was a sad joke in the WoW community for many years after they brought back the Kael'Thas character, who had supposedly been killed.

Lord Draagh was sent tumbling over a railing into a burning pit of fire.

And he comes back as a cyborg.

Never, ever doubt the off screen 'death'.

I disagree.

You basically summed up the storyline of KOTOR. Hell the story of Revan can be summed up as "The series of events which happened previously... were merely a setback".

I hope Malgus isn't dead (and its more likely than not that he isn't... yet) as his rationale for going rogue was never really fully explained. I'd like to know what epiphany... or more likely what brainfart, caused him to go AWOL before I hit him until he stops.

Edited by Lexandar

Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters.

Yes, they have good writers. But I think they've mangled this ending at a late date in the release cycle. Malgus talks of having set the station to detonate and take out the surrounding Republic fleet (I assume it'd be the Imperial fleet for the Empire side), and that only he can de-activate it. The assumption has to be that he was bluffing, since there's nothing else to do after defeating him -- which just doesn't sit right. After all, if he's that weak, why would he bother sending his entire elite Imperial Guard out of the room rather than getting them to kill the 4 interlopers, with him standing back and throwing that Force Lightning stuff?

Also, when I got back to Ilum to meet the Republic high command, Cole Cantarus is on the Holoprojector talking about how we crashed a spaceship into the throneroom to kill him. Either he's a really good liar, or the actual fight was changed after the voice acting work was completed...

Side note: I don't suppose any of those people that were datamining the Beta files has reported anything about an alternate ending to that fight?

Edited by Ancaglon

• 2 years later...
I disagree.

But Palpatine came back after that, too...in fact, no force user has died from a fall from what I remember. Mace is dead before he hits the ground and darth maul also comes back.

He's dead. You can just straight up kill him now in the flashpoint. They left the door open to themselves, but then closed it.

The Emperor and the Emperor's Children, on the other hand...for a future and soon update ;P

He's dead. You can just straight up kill him now in the flashpoint. They left the door open to themselves, but then closed it.

That would be the case if they had removed the grenades altogether, which they haven't. In other words, it's up to the player to decide if he's truly dead or not.

Plus, even before they changed it, it was possible to kill Malgus when the DPS was high enough. Still, I honestly wish he's dead, since I think the character, on a fundamental level, served its purpose.

The Emperor and the Emperor's Children, on the other hand...for a future and soon update ;P

Doubtful.

The Emperor's Children were all revealed after the fall of the First Son. This is further established by Grand Moff Regus, who says that the Children of the Emperor were defeated.

The Emperor, on the other hand, will return sooner or later for sure.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

• 2 months later...
But Palpatine came back after that, too...in fact, no force user has died from a fall from what I remember. Mace is dead before he hits the ground and darth maul also comes back.

According to whom? The owners of star wars? no.

Like said i think they "left the door open" however with the current state of affairs i would wager that malgus is for all intensive purposes, dead.

In the early days of the game, I thought he probably lived, now, not so much. His death is the cornerstone of much of the plot development (such as it is, but that's another post). He could come back, but it would be as a powerless failure, so.... Better he stay dead. Darth Marr is the big dog now. Still, it was a shame to get rid of such a good character so quickly.

I think (kotor 1 spoilers ahead)

Revan is a lot more likely to return. His imprisonment and what the emperor did to him is tragically ironic in the extreme given what Malak told him/did in their final battle, as is his use of the foundry. All that alone is just horribly sad, but it's made worse by so quick a defeat at the hands of the sith after 300 years of torment. No chance for heroism, no chance for redemption....this just isn't right for Revan.

Wait, that's not quite right. I mean, it was super heroic to hold himself together enough to influence the emperor enough to create centuries of peace while holding onto what remained of his sanity by a hair. But that's really not what I want my last memory of Revan to be--a mad shell of what he was, plotting to destroy evey living person in the empire down to the last infant. There needs to be more.

Edited by errant_knight

No cutscene, no dramatic last words, not even a Noooooooooo!

Personally I think both he and Revan are reserved for comebacks.

Personally, I think he died.

But then there is also the first law of resurrection.

Revan? For him to come back after all that has happened before would be ridiculous. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just that it would be ridiculous. I think he is gone for good and I hope so.

Emperor, likely to come back. Considering I think his current state is not that much different from what he started from.

Edited by Karkais

I'm a bit confused that you think revan's return is less likely or more ridiculous than any other. He's a nutter, yes, but he disappears when he still has health and there's no corpse. And anyone who could survive what he did and still fight as he did is no pushover.

I'm a bit confused that you think revan's return is less likely or more ridiculous than any other.

Because of what he has already gone through at this point. Nobody could stay sane after all that.. just let him rest lol

Also, when I got back to Ilum to meet the Republic high command, Cole Cantarus is on the Holoprojector talking about how we crashed a spaceship into the throneroom to kill him. Either he's a really good liar, or the actual fight was changed after the voice acting work was completed...

You know he was just BSing right. He also said "and then (s)he grabbed Malgus' lightsaber and cut off his own head with it"... he's just making it sound more legendary to the people who weren't there. He's Corellian, he couldn't help it.

Because of what he has already gone through at this point. Nobody could stay sane after all that.. just let him rest lol

What makes you think I think he's sane? ;) Although his actions in swtor make a lot of sense when you know his background, lol. It's just a step further than where he went prior. Still, probably not sane, heh.

• 2 weeks later...

I never got why people assumed he was dead:

(Maelstrom Prison)

(Foundry)

He clearly makes a conscious decision to leave the situation in either case. I foresee an interesting communion between Theron & Revan, hopefully with the death of Satele (just to pull on some heart strings). Possibly bring Malgus back, I'm reading Deceived again and Malgus seems far too large to be offed in a FP...although that does seem to be the direction the producers are taking for story development.

• 4 weeks later...
You basically summed up the storyline of KOTOR. Hell the story of Revan can be summed up as "The series of events which happened previously... were merely a setback".

I hope Malgus isn't dead (and its more likely than not that he isn't... yet) as his rationale for going rogue was never really fully explained. I'd like to know what epiphany... or more likely what brainfart, caused him to go AWOL before I hit him until he stops.

I think it was stated, while doing the Illum storyline, that he saw the current Empire as broken. He thought that only a united empire with alien help would prevail, not " a divided empire with a dead Emporer." Even though as we learn he is not dead...

• 3 weeks later...

It seemed a weird decision to kill Malgus off anyway; he was the visible face of the Empire for most of the game, the guy that gave you the flashpoint missions, the most visible face of SWTOR's marketing.

Hoping for a Malgus return to save the Empire, if the Emperor is ever finally killed.

There would have to be a complete dissolution of the current council for Malgus to return, even if he was alive. He did terrible damage to the imperial army and that wouldn't be taken lightly. Marr doesn't seem like the forgive and forget type. Edited by errant_knight

He’s dead. Trust me I killed him myself ;). But for real I think he’s dead. The devs are going in a new direction as far as story. No more class quests, they have new faces to represent the empire. No real reason to bring him back. Edited by Cjirucha