Guide to Your Legacy and Your Legacy Name

Aieny

What is Legacy?

In Star Wars: The Old Republic, your Legacy is your impact on the server, regardless of which character or faction you play. At this time, we have very little information on the Legacy system, other than being able to choose the name of your Legacy and that more is forthcoming (and apparently Stephen Reid is exciting about what's coming, but he can't tell us anything...yet).

When do I get my Legacy?

Your Legacy is unlocked when one of your characters first completes Chapter 1, which is around level 30. Legacy is on a per-server basis, so if you play on two different servers, unlocking your Legacy on one server does not unlock it on the second server.

What benefits do I gain from Legacy?

Currently, your Legacy name can be displayed on all your characters, either as a last name or a Legacy name. You can also choose to hide the Legacy name from your characters. Also, you can begin to accrue "Legacy experience", which will be used to unlock future Legacy benefits.

Is my Legacy related to my character, my faction, or is it server-wide?

Your Legacy is server-wide, so both your Republic and Imperial characters will share the Legacy name. Thus, it is important that you choose a Legacy that is appropriate for all the characters you intend to play on that server (or opt to hide the Legacy from those characters where the Legacy does not match well).

Will my Legacy name appear exactly as I enter it?

No. All Legacy names, regardless of how you enter it into the system, will appear with an initial capital letter and all lowercase letters afterward. The Legacy name follows the same restrictions as character names. For example, entering "
GrandMoffAieny
" as my Legacy name would turn that into "
Grandmoffaieny
".

How do I gain Legacy levels?

Legacy levels are earned through regular experience earning channels. A percentage of all experience you gain is also granted to your Legacy experience. Also, your Legacy experience is shared between all your characters, so playing multiple characters still builds your Legacy.

Wait, are you saying I'm losing experience to Legacy experience?

Nope, not at all. Even with your Legacy active, you still gain 100% experience. However, you gain additional experience that is sent to your Legacy experience pool.

How much experience does it take to earn a Legacy level?

The first Legacy level requires 240,000 Legacy experience. That translates to roughly 1.2 million regular experience points. Subsequent Legacy levels increase the requirement by about 1000 Legacy experience each, or about 5000 regular experience points.

How do my alt characters contribute to Legacy experience?

The amount of Legacy experience earned while playing a character is level dependent. For example, a level 35 character earns about 20% of her normal experience in Legacy experience. On that same account, a level 1 alt character earns about 66% of experience in Legacy experience. The higher the level of the character, the smaller percentage of experience is added to the Legacy experience.

This keeps players who like to play alternate characters from being penalized in their Legacy experience gains. While a high level character earns more absolute experience, the progressively smaller percentage (aka sliding percentage) added to Legacy experience means that low level characters contribute significantly more experience to the Legacy than if the system used a straight percentage.

Are Legacy names unique to the server?

Yes. Legacy names are unique to the server. As James Ohlen puts it, the Legacy name is your "family" name on the server. It is an identifier of who you are, regardless of which character you are playing.

Can I allow other people to share my Legacy?

No. Your Legacy is yours and your alone; there is no option to allow other accounts to share in that Legacy.

Can my other accounts use the same Legacy?

No. Legacy names are unique to an account; accounts cannot share Legacy names.

Can I change my Legacy?

Unfortunately, there is no option to change your Legacy name, so be extremely careful when entering your Legacy name. Only in cases where the Legacy name violated the
have people been able to get their Legacy name changed.

What if I delete all my characters? Will that delete my Legacy name?

No. Once your Legacy is created on the server, it is permanent to that server.

Edited by Aieny

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can my Legacy name be displayed?

Rather than try to describe how the Legacy name appears, I will give several examples of Legacy appearance. So, let's assume that I use two different titles, "Darth" and "the Forcewalker", and my legacy name is "Legasaria". So, here's breakdown of how my name could appear:

I could choose to show it as a last name. This is the default when the Legacy is first unlocked.

Darth Aieny Legesaria

Aieny Legesaria the Forcewalker

However, I could choose to display it as a Legacy Title, where it appears under my name:

Darth Aieny

The Legesaria Legacy

Aieny the Forcewalker

The Legesaria Legacy

As a third option, you can hide the legacy name so it doesn't appear.

Where is the option to change how my Legacy is displayed?

The Legacy display option is in the Preferences menu, under Social. Look in the Legacy section for a dropdown menu to choose how to display your Legacy.

Edited by Aieny

And what can we do with this Legacy pool experience?

At the moment, nothing. Soon they will unveil the features of the Legacy system, but until then, we can build up Legacy levels to use as soon as those features are implemented.

Soooo... Your human and non-human characters are all related and have the same last name..... Hrmmm.... I guess I'll be going for that third title: 'The Blah Legacy' thingie.

Interesting concept. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Since I have not gotten yet I'm curious to see wat which amounts of legacy xp you 'level up', so I can crunchy my numbers and see how long it would take to get to any particular leve.

So far, I'm only on level 1 of Legacy experience, and it requires 240k to reach level 2. I don't yet know if that is a constant number, or if the experience required increases with each Legacy level.

I really hope the legacy benefits can apply to your current char as well, as all 8 of my slots are filled with leveling characters.

Of this, I'm fairly confident. Of course, we don't know WHAT benefits we will be getting, and I don't have a link, but I remember a dev post saying to start building your Legacy levels now so you can get more benefits when they release them.

Yeah. I'm not entirely sure though, as some people have made guesses that new races would be unlocked, which seems plausible.

To take advantage of this, I'd have to delete one of my characters, though. I really want to avoid that if I can.

Soooo... Your human and non-human characters are all related and have the same last name..... Hrmmm....

Well, if you play a Sith Inquisitor, you find something interesting about your heritage.

Basically, you find out that your ancestor is a human, regardless of what race you happen to be (in my case, Twi'lek).

Apparently my heritage is all over the place, for I have Chiss cousins, several human/cyborg cousins, and even a "pureblood" Sith cousin.......heheh

Both of my inquistors are level 17 =P.

Sorcere-17, Assassin-17, Sniper - 23, Operative - 20, Mercenary - 19, Powertech - 17, Marauder - 17, Juggernaut - 17.

This is in less than two weeks of play. I'm known to be a good grinder =)

Well, if you play a Sith Inquisitor, you find something interesting about your heritage.

Basically, you find out that your ancestor is a human, regardless of what race you happen to be (in my case, Twi'lek).

Apparently my heritage is all over the place, for I have Chiss cousins, several human/cyborg cousins, and even a "pureblood" Sith cousin.......heheh

I'm going to be ending up with a Twi'lek, several Mirialans and a bunch of humans as cousins.

I didn't read your spoiler, my SI is only level 8 so far! ;) Thanks for the good info provided so far!

how do you chose how your legacy appears to other players? is it an option on the character sheet or in the game preferences?

i hit lvl 2 for my legacy...of course it doesnt mean anything yet, but hopefully one day it will.

The option is in the Preferences menu; I'm not at my gaming computer at the moment, so I can't pinpoint exactly where it is, but as soon as I can, I'll let you know and post it in the FAQ.

how do you chose how your legacy appears to other players? is it an option on the character sheet or in the game preferences?

It's in your Preferences, I think under Social. There's a section for Legacy with a dropdown menu for how you want it displayed.

You have the option to not display it at all, so for me that solves the issue of my characters being from different backgrounds. They don't all have to be related with the same surname.

Here's a great idea on how to roleplay the Legacy name as well, from another thread:

A possiblity is that all your alts are part of some secret society that isn't faction related and who members don't know each other. My people don't know each other, but all secretly for an organization that promises them riches and power. They only have to live their lives normally while bearing the name of the society. As a result the society provides stuff for them to help them get more powerful. One of my people (the banker) is their only contact person.

Both of my inquistors are level 17 =P.

Sorcere-17, Assassin-17, Sniper - 23, Operative - 20, Mercenary - 19, Powertech - 17, Marauder - 17, Juggernaut - 17.

This is in less than two weeks of play. I'm known to be a good grinder =)

I would strongly suggest that you choose one to level up to get the legacy first because otherwise you are wasting a lot of potential legacy xp that you would get while leveling your other characters.

So far, I'm only on level 1 of Legacy experience, and it requires 240k to reach level 2. I don't yet know if that is a constant number, or if the experience required increases with each Legacy level.

The xp required for each level increases the legacy xp needed but 1000 so from 2 to 3 it is 241,000xp and so on.

The xp required for each level increases the legacy xp needed but 1000 so from 2 to 3 it is 241,000xp and so on.

Right-o. I'm on Legacy 6 at the moment and it's 245,000 to Legacy 7. Hopefully there's a decent use for all this.