Problem with Cybertech RE

Gobgrot

Im not trying to start a new RE is broken thread so if you feel the need to complain about that please post in one of the many threads already about that subject. What I do want to know is if anyone else has noticed the SPECIFIC problem of lvl 34 ear pieces not RE'ing at a good rate? The reason Im asking is this lvl, ONLY, Ive done over 200 re's this afternoon and only gotten 4 purple recipes. I realize this is possible but each one was approx 50 re's between a new recipe. This is highly improbable. Please only respond to this if you have had similar experiences with this lvl of re's.

Im not trying to start a new RE is broken thread so if you feel the need to complain about that please post in one of the many threads already about that subject. What I do want to know is if anyone else has noticed the SPECIFIC problem of lvl 34 ear pieces not RE'ing at a good rate? The reason Im asking is this lvl, ONLY, Ive done over 200 re's this afternoon and only gotten 4 purple recipes. I realize this is possible but each one was approx 50 re's between a new recipe. This is highly improbable. Please only respond to this if you have had similar experiences with this lvl of re's.

I'll admit 4 in 200 is pretty bad. And to conform to your request...

I recently tracked RE rates on two characters with two different crafting skills (Armormech and Armstech). Throughout the process I had single item bad streaks of 25 and 24 and multi-item bad streaks of 42 and 37 (not including the 25 and 24 single item streaks). Not to mention the myriad of low to mid teens no joy streaks. If you would like to see my data, you can go to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By58u0ps4f7gcHdtVy1OZlJDeU0/edit?usp=sharing

But your statement regarding what items you are REing is open to interpretation: "level 34" can mean one of several things. So I ask the question: when you say "level 34" do you mean the character level requirement, the armoring rating value, or the relative "grade" of the item?

What I do want to know is if anyone else has noticed the SPECIFIC problem of lvl 34 ear pieces not RE'ing at a good rate?

I cannot comment on level 34. But I recently decided to go for a level 47 aim earpiece. I was aiming for a specific one:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/22422-1012/expert-entropic-rejuvenation-relay

It took me 127 attempts (starting at blue Overkill) and I got four purple schametics (Rampart, Commander, Vehemnce, and finally Expert), which adds up to a 3.15% chance, as compared to 10% on the tooltip.

Now, there is an old RE problem that used to happen, whereby you were shooting for a specific purple, and a crit would sometimes result in an alert "You already know that schematic". As far as I know, that was fixed. But what if the fix were: "red text removed"?

In other words, what if my RE chance actually was 10% as is stated on the tooltip, but the second RNG (which schematic was learned), hit a schematic that was already known, and the UI didn't tell you anything. It would appear as a non-crit.

This is pure conjecture on my part. The only way to test this theory would be to RE multiple different types of blue gear and to stop the moment you unlocked the FIRST purple schematic, and do this enough times to rack up some hard data.

But I'm not so attached to this theory that I really wanted to do this. :)

Edited by Khevar

Yes I am, Im very careful to check after each successful RE to make sure theres still new recipes to discover.

Now up to 300 RE's of the exact same lvl 34 ear piece ( critical intercepting defense module ) with only 5 successes.

Edited by Gobgrot

OK next question: why are you REing a "critical ______ defense" item at all?

FACT: critical rating is not helpful to tanks

FACT: defense rating is not helpful to any spec other than tanks.

If you are looking for a particular tanking schematic then the only schematics you should be looking for are the blue quality Redoubt Intercepting Defense Module and the purple quality Veracity Intercepting Defense Module from REing the Redoubt version.

If you are a completionist....good luck with that. IMO you are wasting resources.

NOTE: IIRC lower level blue to purple ear pieces only have a 10% RE chance. That makes "no joy" streaks that much more common.

I've been doing Crafting enough that i know it ebbs & flows. I've not hit a dry spell as bad as yours w/ Cybertech (I've come close though a few times) but i have had that bad of a spell several times w/ Armormech; however, then I end up getting all 5 recipes seemingly all at once. So i just roll with it & try to keep a steady supply of credits & resources to get through it.

I've been doing Crafting enough that i know it ebbs & flows. I've not hit a dry spell as bad as yours w/ Cybertech (I've come close though a few times) but i have had that bad of a spell several times w/ Armormech; however, then I end up getting all 5 recipes seemingly all at once. So i just roll with it & try to keep a steady supply of credits & resources to get through it.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Recently crafting augments on several characters crits have been few and far between (even with +5 crit companions and legacy of crafting III). But then I remember all the times I crit four times out of five crafts :D.

Edited by psandak

I know exactly what you are talking about. Recently crafting augments on several characters crits have been few and far between (even with +5 crit companions and legacy of crafting III). But then I remember all the times I crit four times out of five crafts :D.

Anytime I've waited until I actually need something from a specific schematic to start the craft and RE process, I end up having to craft a ridiculous amount of items to learn the schematic.

Anytime I've just made random stuff while leveling a crew skill and RE'ing the items along the way, I've usually gotten schematics in the first couple of RE attempts.

There is probably a Murphy's law of RE somewhere that explains this anomaly.

Edited by DawnAskham

Anytime I've waited until I actually need something from a specific schematic to start the craft and RE process, I end up having to craft a ridiculous amount of items to learn the schematic.

Anytime I've just made random stuff while leveling a crew skill and RE'ing the items along the way, I've usually gotten schematics in the first couple of RE attempts.

There is probably a Murphy's law of RE somewhere that explains this anomaly.

Your brain will store this information differently. When you do not care about the outcome, a crit is a 'good thing' that happened to you, and may well be filed as more important.

When you are 'trying' to RE for a specific purpose, those non-crits count and are remembered. In addition to being frustrated at the time, the brain will record this frustration and register the process as important, it does not want you to be unhappy.

Hope can easily become expectation. When you do not crit on an item you RE and do not care about the outcome, your brain will not remember this information as 'important' and is a much slower process in terms of recall. I.E. we forget the negative things that happen to us if they are not important or do not cause any distress.

(In this answer where I have said 'you' really I mean 'us' or 'our')

Happy Crafting (and RE-ing),

U_M

Your brain will store this information differently. When you do not care about the outcome, a crit is a 'good thing' that happened to you, and may well be filed as more important.

When you are 'trying' to RE for a specific purpose, those non-crits count and are remembered. In addition to being frustrated at the time, the brain will record this frustration and register the process as important, it does not want you to be unhappy.

Hope can easily become expectation. When you do not crit on an item you RE and do not care about the outcome, your brain will not remember this information as 'important' and is a much slower process in terms of recall. I.E. we forget the negative things that happen to us if they are not important or do not cause any distress.

(In this answer where I have said 'you' really I mean 'us' or 'our')

Happy Crafting (and RE-ing),

U_M

All very true and I have perfect examples:

Using droid parts from Cybertech to acquire MK-9 Augmentation Kit Components - RE the greens because they are only 2/2/2 in materials, chances are you'll never even register that you've gotten all the blue schematics - I know I didn't :D - because you simply don't care about them.

On the other hand, when I was re-leveling armstech and armormech, at the end of the line I was REing for the grade 28 barrels and augments and more than a few took what seemed like FOREVER :). These were the blues and purples I cared about

Luckily (or unluckily depending on one's point of view) I was actively tracking and of the 25 total grade 28 items (3 green barrels, 3 blue barrels, 9 green augments, and 9 blue augments):

• Eight of 25 reached double digit RE failures before success
  • Granted two of those eight reached 25 and 27 failures (I was a trifle :mad: at those ;)), and one hit 17 failures, but the remaining five never exceeded 13.
  • Ten of the items being REed succeeded within six attempts and a majority of them (six to be exact) did not need more than four attempts to succeed (five needed four attempts, one only needed three)
  • The average numbers of RE attempts to get a schematic was nine.