Is Columni enough to PUG hard mode Lost Island?

Because after trying my first time... I'm not sure the LR-5 Sentinel Droid can be pugged with a group in full Black Hole gear.

Actually, it's not even a matter of gear. There are too many do-or-instantly-wipe mechanics.

Yeah, we alt tabbed and read the guides.

What should I be in before I go back as a healer?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is yes, you can PUG it in Columi, if you know what you're doing.

If you need help on mechanics feel free to ask. But no, there are no "do this or you instantly die" mechanics beyond maybe letting Incinerate hit the tank with all 3 stacks, AND the healer not cleansing it.

If you need help on mechanics feel free to ask. But no, there are no "do this or you instantly die" mechanics beyond maybe letting Incinerate hit the tank with all 3 stacks, AND the healer not cleansing it.

Savrak smash.

But remember you can practice the mechanics in story mode first, they're almost the same.

Edited by Blighboy

Because after trying my first time... I'm not sure the LR-5 Sentinel Droid can be pugged with a group in full Black Hole gear.

Actually, it's not even a matter of gear. There are too many do-or-instantly-wipe mechanics.

depends on the Following.

-Can you execute mechanics?

-Can you play your toon well?

-Can the other 3 play their toons well?

-Can the other 3 execute the mechanics well?

If the answer to all 4 of those questions is yes then only the first mini-boss will be a struggle.

Edited by Karasuko

Lost island is very execution based. Having healed it on all three healer types (yes 4 republic 50s and 3 heal what can I say) the difficulty is squarely on who you are with. Ran today with my scoundrel and had enough energy most fights to drop my flyby aoe and keep dot up no issue, heck most trash I'd pop my aoe HoT and join in the dps.

I've also had to use every trick I have to squeak the group by.

If the tank is good interrupting incinerates, dps and tank get second boss on the first jump, and lorick is handled properly then you could probably heal it in recruit gear. The overall damage is not that high, it just really makes you pay for every mistake.

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: it's not a matter of it being a pug, it's a matter of how good each individually player is. I've seen pug groups with a Tionese-Columi mix one shot the whole thing without anyone dying, but each player in that pug was very skilled.

I don't get the melee dps hate, my favourite composition for HM LI is 2 Carnage specced Mara's.

Takes a lot more situational awareness for a melee team on the first droid as far as lightning placement while the disease swapping on the pipe.boss can create more total damage to heal through, also makes it a.tad crowded on lorriks's poison circles.

It isn't terrible, my sentinel has no real issue with it, but it does make things more involved

You are going to get answers that are all over the place on this one. (including mine)

The entire place is do this or die mechanics.

There is a pretty hefty gear element too.

there are those that say it can be done nekkid and those that say it cant be done at all.

My experience says don't try it unless you are in mostly rakata or better gear wise.

The only boss that can be a problem for a healer if everything is properly executed by the group (avoiding unnecessary dmg) is Sav-Rak. It can be a pain, otherwise totally doable in columi.

Sav-Rak is actually pretty easy to heal if the tank positions the boss properly (re: isn't standing near anyone when the boss jumps back down) and the rest of the players know to avoid the front of the boss (especially after Smash when the boss cleaves immediately as you fall to the ground; it's best accomplished by the tank standing just barely not in the exact middle so that s/he gets pushed back a few meters away from the rest of the group). The only thing in that fight that makes the healing "hard" is the cleave DoT that many players end up getting hit with because they want to be near the tank or they group up to "maximize AoE heals" only to end up taking more damage than they got healed for. I've healed Sav-Rak on a Columi geared Commando without anyone dying and no healing problems: I told everyone but the tank to avoid the Sav-Rak's front like the plague, and it made everything *world's* easier.

Healing LIHM in Stock Tionese is walk in a park as long as you know your class, follow the mechanic and you don't have retarded tank or untalented DPSes.

Please make a video, my Sage is in full tionese gear and I can't get past Savrak

I beg you master, teach me how to play

The entire place is do this or die mechanics.

There is a pretty hefty gear element too.

The reason why most players can't do it in without overgearing it is because most of the ability to recognize and follow mechanics rapidly and accurately is gained through getting that gear. The people that can do it *without* having overgeared it are either playing with secondary gear or on alts (that's what I generally do when I'm talking about doing it in "appropriate" gear). I wouldn't recommend that anyone that hasn't learned the instance try it in anything less than full Rak, simply because they need that gear cushion to make up for the fact that they don't know what they're doing yet. If someone *does* know what they're doing, they can do it just fine in full Recruit gear.

It's not a question of "gear element" because the enrage timers on all of the bosses and the unavoidable outgoing damage for all of the bosses are low enough that they can be handled in pretty much any end game gear you choose to put on. The issue that many people have is that they cannot manage to avoid all of the avoidable damage or maintain sufficient DPS uptime on the bosses that the loss of DPS from running around trying to stay alive and the increased healing load from taking what should be avoidable damage ends up pushing them over the edge.

The "gear element" is only marginally higher for LI than it is for the other HM FPs. The "playstyle element" is *substantially higher* however, which is what ends up making it impossible for most people to do.

To the OP, your only real option is to simply learn the fights better and make sure everyone knows what they're doing *exactly*. Many of the abilities that are "do or die" end up having multiple solutions (Incinerate can either be interrupted or simply cleansed by the healer; the lightning reticule can either be moved away or the group can move away from it; Lorrick's green puddles of doom can be cleansed or ignored if people used the Rakghoul Vaccine beforehand); the only mechanics that really have to be handled in a single explicit way are the Sav-Rak mechanics, and those are, honestly, the simplest ones (move into his model or move to a pillar and click). If someone screws up one of the "do or die" mechanics, make sure the group knows how to make up for it (healer should be watching the tank during droid boss to cleanse Incinerate if needed; tank should be watching where the reticules are dropped in case there won't be enough space and know where to move the boss to a new safe location; healer should be watching for DoT stacks to cleanse on Lorrick if the DPS keep taking baths; etc) and you can beat the learning curve.

It all comes down to "Do the other 3 players know their roles and know how the fights go in the HM" sure gear helps with it but its not a must be in full this gear or we die kinda thing.

Ive tanked LI many times some harder and some easier runs. In my experience i have been in pugs where the half of the group has never done it before and we one shot everything but ive also been in pugs where everyone is OP for it and we cant get passed the second boss (the Droid). So it just comes down to does the whole party know their role in the HM and do they know the fights. Good communication is a key in this HM which in my opinion is one of the harder HM's right now in the game.

Less brain cells you have, better gear you need.

it's not even about VOIP any more, on LI HM my guild joins on TS just for dirty jokes or talk crap... on my last LR-5 sentinel droid, our healer was talking about new years plans with his GF, I was stroking my dog, and 2 others had broken mic's

fair note, we are vastly overgeard for that.. but if you have bad execution even dread guard won't save you...

It can be impossible to PUG if people just don't do it right. Starting out with the group finder is difficult because you don't know whos' screwing up and may assume it's you since you haven't done it before. I felt that way a couple times, but after reconsideration (and a few successful attempts), I realized other members of the group were screwing worse than me.

I've healed it in mostly columi, but bought rakata implants off the GTN, and the BH belt. On the other hand, my weapon and bracer were recruit gear.

I've run Lost Island with groups where 1 player still had some green gear. It was difficult and he died at every boss, but we passed it. I've been with groups in recruit /rakata/columi /black hole gear and if they are familiar with LI usually we get through it. The team needs communication and a plan (they're only a couple of plans that work) before going up against each boss. I run with my sage healer and I've done it in tionese/column. One mistake and it'll l cost you; so long as you focus and provide fast heals and manage your force power

Ran it as a tank twice on my original server and found that it was not impossible. Ran it with my dps toons on my current server and have wiped at least 3-4 times. Once the healer (commando) said it was better to run with a Sage/Sorc healer for the HoTs but in the end I think it depends on how the tank positions the boss.

Is Incinerate tech? My sage can't remove tech. Can't remove physical either, with his current spec.

My sage can definitely remove Incinerate, so it's not tech. If you can't remove it because it's physical, you might want to spec for it.

One thing I learned that helped me was that you can take a little lava, but lightning is bad bad bad. So if you have a choice to stand on bubbling lava or in a lightning ball, go with the lava. You can also see a bit before the lava comes up out of the floor, and move to the panels of the floor that are not currently spewing lava. If you're getting adds on you, the dps should be taking care of them. If the tank and dps are doing it right, most of the damage should be on the tank. It's tough with PUGs to make sure that everyone's doing their part.

Please make a video, my Sage is in full tionese gear and I can't get past Savrak

I beg you master, teach me how to play

The thing that helped me most was learning when to cast Salvation. Once the tank settles in some spot on the platform, cast Salvation there and get in it as well, so it will heal your Noble Sacrifices. The tank should be the main one taking damage during this phase. I'm guessing the hard part for most is when he's on the pipes and throwing spit everywhere. At the beginning of this phase, I bubble myself (healer should be in the middle of the platform) and then cast Salvation on myself. Between that and a good Force Mend, I can keep myself alive for this phase. That lets me use the rest of my heals (bubbles, Rejuvenate->Healing Trance, Deliverance as needed) to keep the rest of the group alive. If that's still not working...it is a "Tier 2" hard mode, so getting a little Columi in the mix could help.