Producer Letter – Galactic Strongholds

EricMusco

(...) Frankly I'd prefer it not be attained or upgraded by credits at all as that makes no sense as far as the IP goes, better instead to have attainable via a rep or commendation system that implies it is a reward for efforts to your respective faction instead that you have earned by doing things for your respective faction. And that would also be more in line with how most faction related rewards work in the game atm anyway.

This, they should take into consideration.

Playing the game should earn you perks, not putting in millions of credits that people get from selling CM stuffs.

Edited by demotivator

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then I have good news! Strongholds are Legacy wide, not character specific :rak_01:

-eric

Even the one's on the capital homeworlds ;)?

Anyways, I think this is the right decision. Release with more content to get the appropriate impact. You know these people, if you hand it out piecemeal they'll complain each part isn't enough...

- Arcada

Exept he dont get that early acces right ? He clearly states that was the main reason he subbed. Now i'm not arguing that you should start the early acces if your not ready for it, but saying he gets more now than before is quite a stretch. Ofc if depends on how long he subbed for, if he just subbed 1 month your right, but then Again, he said early acces was the main reason he subbed so my guess is he subbed for a period stretching into the early acces.

Again, i'm not arguing for a release of something that's not ready. At most give something to people who were eligable for early acces at the previous date. I dont see them getting early acces though.

I can't even tell what exactly the issue is. Early Access got moved back and we get something extra as a result. Two extra rooms to the Sky Palace for free. We still get Early Access, just not right now.

Again, I can't even tell what the problem is.

true, we still get early acces IF we stay subbed. I got the notion that the guy in mention subbed for a period and plan to drop back into preffered. Now ofc that means he will have to extend his sub to be eligable for early acces. (unless i'm missing something)

**** happens and things get delayed. That's fine, i get that. You shouldn't release anything that's not ready for it. The only thing i'm arguing is when he's told that now he's actually getting more than before. That's only true if he had planned to stay subbed.

IMO it was the wrong answer. They should just have told him, "yes, the early acces is moved forward. We might consider giving a subscriber appreciation item to people who are subs at the previous early acces date, but early accces is moved and thereby lost. "

Let the design team know *we want to be able to talk to our companions in our strongholds! :rak_09:

*By 'We' I mean, players like me who are recording our companion and class stories.

Included in the 'talk" to our companions; would very much like to be able to give them Gifts without having to constantly move on & off the ship when building rep with them; and to check their armor. I know presently we can manually compare & change their armor on our ships, but would really like to be able to compare/change it the same way it works off-ship.

elsewise, I'm really looking forward to all this new stuff. Thank you. :)

Will there be permission settings for personal strongholds?

eg - my girl friend and I want to share an apartment. Is there any way to add her to a list that lets her edit decorations, bring friends in, etc?

:)

This. my boyfriend and I would like to do be able to share and have each other be able to decorate as well.

First thanks for the highlights and the gifts to come.

(Edit one again Dulfy hit again and done an amazing compendium of the known info about Strongholds: Clicky)

Soon or later we'll know everything about Strongholds, still here's some questions if you don't mind:

1. Will we be able to own multiple Strongholds? (edit = yes)
  2. Will there be a maintenance fee for them?
  3. What are the item placement and furnishing features? (edit = does not look like free item placement, more details to come)
  4. Will we be able to paint some furniture?
  5. Will we be able to change the in room lighting with furniture?
  6. Will players be able to add entry lists to their houses?
  7. Will we have multiple storage furniture?
  8. Will players be able to recall/land to their stronghold and port others there too? (edit = recall yes)
  9. Will we be able to display companions and as such choose which ones?
  10. Will we be ale to let others furnish our homes?

More details:

1. As Strongholds are legacy wide, I'm afraid all my characters are required to share the same one. Which could be quite of an issue for some of us, RP (or not) wise.
  2. Fees are an annoying feature for players that comes and go in MMO. I noticed in the end most players tend to close their house and not bother with it anymore. Hopefully you'll find others money sinks than monthly fees.
  3. As a former SWG player, I can say I was totally disappointed by LotRo one and really looking forward Wildstar totally insane system example. The bar is really high, but I guess for 2014 many players are expecting at least free item placement with X,Y,Z axis positioning plus rotate and roll features and hopefully scale items.
  4. Painting/texturing furniture would be really nice but I have to admit I don't expect it @launch
  5. Being able to reset rooms to totally dark atmosphere and strategically set lighting furniture would be a really nice trick.
  6. Being able to filter who can access house was a very much liked feature in others MMO, so much that players even requested access list for separate rooms or chest/closets.
  7. Sorting gear, mods and mats is far from optimal in TOR and becomes really fast tedious, as such separated storage would be very much welcome, especially if we can open multiple storage boxes at the same time and also label them to our liking.
  8. Being able to port to a nice stronghold would be very convenient.
  9. Companions are such a key part to SWTOR that I can't see Strongholds without them ;) Although as much I like them there are some I can't stand anymore (Quinn, Mako...) that would ruin my experience if they are around as in my ship.

Regarding the last point let's say the whole system could really benefits from letting players have other furnish their Strongholds because to be honest not everyone is good at that.

Now a very interesting topping would be to let players being able to sell a fully furnished home, I could go lengthily of how it could be done but well question is: would it be something that could be in the domain of the possible?

Edited by Deewe

A few other things I have seen in the thread...

• Companions in Strongholds - I was able to talk to the Design team about this. Exactly how it will work is still being worked out. I will post about it in the future once things are a bit more locked down!
  • Quick Travel - You can travel to your Stronghold anytime you can use Quick Travel currently. Also, as a subscriber you have a few options on where you can travel to from your Stronghold, including back to the coordinates you just came from.

-eric

The second one sounds awesome. Especially the port back part. Almost like good old KOTOR :D

Frankly I'd prefer it not be attained or upgraded by credits at all as that makes no sense as far as the IP goes, better instead to have attainable via a rep or commendation system that implies it is a reward for efforts to your respective faction instead that you have earned by doing things for your respective faction. And that would also be more in line with how most faction related rewards work in the game atm anyway.

I can't see them wanting to run it as a price per head count, as this would only encourage the option of dropping members who haven't been sighted in recent weeks or temporary dropping of members who then resign after the purchase.

We know now there is one class of ship per faction, but I had hoped we might see different vessels to reflect the size, a cosy Corellion raider is all my little republic levelling guild needs while the massive Imperial guild gets a Star Destroyer. I don't want a guild ship that feels as abandoned as the Zoist Shadow and Gav Daragon's decks. I especially don't want to have a grand warship with only two rooms for my little guild.

Hopefully they have those fears worked out, but to be honest even if the cost is simply massive, credits and rep, I am content that over time even the smallest guilds can collaborate to earn it all. The massive guilds just have more collaborative power to accomplish things quickly and should be rewarded for it, not punished.

Remember also the guild ship gives buffs to the guild players on the planet it orbits. If that is the case, the smaller guilds have the advantage of parking it were the majority is and not just where the guild leaders are doing an op.

Anyone get the feeling Oricon space is going to be a parking lot.

I understand that Eric has not been in this thread for a while now, but I still wish a little bit of a clarification:

Hey Kesphin,

If you had bought subscription time to make insure that you were a sub for the May 11th Early Access promotion, that remains unchanged. In fact, you actually are getting more now than you would have before! (2 additional rooms, mini-pet, and title).

Your subscription actually bought more, not less :rak_03:

-eric

I also bought subscription time to be elegible for the May 11th perks, I had taken the June 24th date into account, but with the rollback, my time will have elapsed.

Let me iterate that I would much prefer a quality product over an early release, I just wish an assertion that I understand things properly:

• I will still get the Nar Shaddaa Palace, plus the original 3 (now 5) rooms unlocked, but will gain access to these items in September with the rest of the prefferred. I.e., the sub benefits, but at the prefferred date.

Am I right?

Thanks, in advance, and please excuse if I rambled.

We know now there is one class of ship per faction, but I had hoped we might see different vessels to reflect the size, a cosy Corellion raider is all my little republic levelling guild needs while the massive Imperial guild gets a Star Destroyer. I don't want a guild ship that feels as abandoned as the Zoist Shadow and Gav Daragon's decks. I especially don't want to have a grand warship with only two rooms for my little guild.

See this would be an ideal fix for me. Different Scales of Guild Flagship.

You could have had smaller capital ships like say Hammerhead Cruiser (e.g. Endar Spire) or Thranta Class (e.g. Brentaal Star) for Republic and S Class Cruisers or Terminus Class Destroyers for the Sith Empire act as Guild Flagships for Small or Medium guilds.

Less size, possibly less options/functionality but more reasonable stepping stones in cost and time to acquire and within the reach of smaller or medium sized guilds to build from in order to reach the higher stepping stones down the line of the larger announced Harrower (sith) and Valor class (republic) cruisers for Guild Flagships.

This would then accomodate ALL guild sizes by enabling them to enjoy this feature by providing them an option within thier respective budgets while also providing them a means to upgrade at a later date. Rather than the system as it stands with just the two options which is likely to exclude all but the large guilds for QUITE some time, which is essentially going to be a slap in the face to most of the people who are paying for this features creation because they aren't likely to have access to it ANY time soon.

Hopefully they have those fears worked out, but to be honest even if the cost is simply massive, credits and rep, I am content that over time even the smallest guilds can collaborate to earn it all. The massive guilds just have more collaborative power to accomplish things quickly and should be rewarded for it, not punished.

which would be true IF guild size were all that mattered but as I've mentioned before not all guilds have the same aims. What about say Social guilds or Roleplay guilds or Casual guilds. They are all types of guilds who would love something like a Guild Flagshi and are paying subs etc.. but the nature of thier enjoyment of the game isn't likely to have involved running endless op's or warzones or flashpoints in order to have garnered a gajillion creds. How are they going to get Guild Flagships and why doesnt the system take them into account from the get go? Are credits all that matter, really? Can thier be no more sensible, fair and condusive system to allow guild ships to be earned by guilds of ALL types and ALL sizes without reducing it to a cred grind?

As it stands this is a feature many of us, myself included have been crying for since PRE release, but are unlikely to have access too, because although were paying for it with our subscriptions apparently we aren't rich enough in game to be allowed access to it. That doesn't real; leave you feeling like you subscription is valued UNLESS you belong to a huge guild, does it. And that's pretty wrong on many levels.

Remember also the guild ship gives buffs to the guild players on the planet it orbits. If that is the case, the smaller guilds have the advantage of parking it were the majority is and not just where the guild leaders are doing an op.

I seriously doubt the buff will be of any great significance, especially when most of us have buff scrolls and class buffs out of the wazoo already. I mean really how many more buffs to make the game even easier do we need?

Have not read every post, got as far as page 28 so hope this has not already been asked or answered.

I know you said you could not yet give details on what can be put in the legacy bank, I understand that its still in talks amongst your developers.

However ,can you tell us how many spaces we will be getting, can more be brought and is there a maximum limit, if so can you tell us what this will be?

Thanks for any replies.

which would be true IF guild size were all that mattered but as I've mentioned before not all guilds have the same aims. What about say Social guilds or Roleplay guilds or Casual guilds. They are all types of guilds who would love something like a Guild Flagshi and are paying subs etc.. but the nature of thier enjoyment of the game isn't likely to have involved running endless op's or warzones or flashpoints in order to have garnered a gajillion creds. How are they going to get Guild Flagships and why doesnt the system take them into account from the get go? Are credits all that matter, really? Can thier be no more sensible, fair and condusive system to allow guild ships to be earned by guilds of ALL types and ALL sizes without reducing it to a cred grind??

See I am working under the assumption that they want us to have guild ships, so that the introductory price of having one is going to be low and affordable to even tiny guilds, but it won't be as big and spacious as it can be if you continue poring credits/reputation/grinds into it which is where the strength of numbers comes from. It is just going to be awkward when my Inquisitor is on his two room warship then my bounty hunter on his twenty room same model warship. Maybe we sublet those rooms to Czerka...

I seriously doubt the buff will be of any great significance, especially when most of us have buff scrolls and class buffs out of the wazoo already. I mean really how many more buffs to make the game even easier do we need?

As long as there is NiM content, every buff is important.

See I am working under the assumption that they want us to have guild ships, so that the introductory price of having one is going to be low and affordable to even tiny guilds, but it won't be as big and spacious as it can be if you continue poring credits/reputation/grinds into it which is where the strength of numbers comes from. It is just going to be awkward when my Inquisitor is on his two room warship then my bounty hunter on his twenty room same model warship. Maybe we sublet those rooms to Czerka...

I'm afraid the highlighted comment of Mr Musco's regarding Guild Flagships being something to strive for left me feeling that they are not working on the same assumption as yourself. Though i'd be more than happy for them to prove me wrong :)

My suspicion is that we simple will NOT have access to them at all until we have earned/purchased/gained access to them and the implication thus far has been that that will be costly and if indeed access is simply a matter of credits then large guilds (as in populous guilds) and those whose playstyles involve a lot of credit earning activities will obviously end up being favoured by such a system. But that would be wrong as the feature is meant to be for guilds as in ALL guilds. And so should as I've made point in my posts be attainable and accessible within reasonable time and effort to ALL sized guilds of ALL playstyles. And the only way I can see that happening in a way that is fair is by having different grade and cost of Guild Flagships e.g Thranta for small, Hammerhead for Medium, Valor for Large etc.. As then everyone instantly has access to something affordable to them based on thier size and activities out of the gate.

As long as there is NiM content, every buff is important.

so, on may 11th us subs will get the strongholds and all those goodies. will the stronghold be available for us on that date, or do we get that at a later time and may 11th is just the deadline for the 5 rooms? i also am hoping to pick the rooms, the trailer said we can have staircases and balconies and stuff and i want the choose where they are on the house plans and what they are. the main page says its july that subs get early access, but other places suggest its on may 11th. im confused bioware!

the trailer said we can have staircases and balconies

No, no, it didn't. It's something they're going to implement in the future, not at the initial release.

It's funny how people listen to a video, hear something, and instantly start drawing conclusions without caring what the video actually said about it.

They are all types of guilds who would love something like a Guild Flagshi and are paying subs etc.. but the nature of thier enjoyment of the game isn't likely to have involved running endless op's or warzones or flashpoints in order to have garnered a gajillion creds. How are they going to get Guild Flagships and why doesnt the system take them into account from the get go? Are credits all that matter, really? Can thier be no more sensible, fair and condusive system to allow guild ships to be earned by guilds of ALL types and ALL sizes without reducing it to a cred grind?

Well think about it this way. 300 million is likely higher than the cost, and a single determined individual can earn that solely through solo activities over the course of a year without any crafting. I would hazard a guess that 100 million would be enough to unlock a guild shop and most if not all credit-purchaseable upgrades. Say you have 4 guild members, and they each contribute only 50,000(that's right, 50k) a day, it'd take only 500 days, about a year and a half to get all the unlocks. So even a super casual grind will probably get you there eventually. If each guild member actually contribute 200k per day(which is about what you earn by doing a set of dailies or two), then you'd have 100 million credits in 125 days, that is by early September, only a short while after the launch.

Well think about it this way. 300 million is likely higher than the cost, and a single determined individual can earn that solely through solo activities over the course of a year without any crafting. I would hazard a guess that 100 million would be enough to unlock a guild shop and most if not all credit-purchaseable upgrades. Say you have 4 guild members, and they each contribute only 50,000(that's right, 50k) a day, it'd take only 500 days, about a year and a half to get all the unlocks. So even a super casual grind will probably get you there eventually. If each guild member actually contribute 200k per day(which is about what you earn by doing a set of dailies or two), then you'd have 100 million credits in 125 days, that is by early September, only a short while after the launch.

Think of it this way your paying a sub to enjoy a game.. do you want to spend a year of that sub time purely grinding cash to enjoy a feature you helped pay to develop or would you sooner EARN the feature through relevant gameplay, while having fun in a more organic way that doesnt feel like a grind?

Grinds have become FAR too much of an accepted convention in todays MMO's but they don't add to enjoyment they detract from it. This feature is intended for guilds, whatever thier size and whatever thier type and so should provided the benefits in a way that is condusive to HOw they are already playing and enjoying the game thier sub pays for. Not require a monumental grind by all concerned in order to have it.

Think of it this way your paying a sub to enjoy a game.. do you want to spend a year of that sub time purely grinding cash to enjoy a feature you helped pay to develop or would you sooner EARN the feature through relevant gameplay, while having fun in a more organic way that doesnt feel like a grind?

Grinds have become FAR too much of an accepted convention in todays MMO's but they don't add to enjoyment they detract from it. This feature is intended for guilds, whatever thier size and whatever thier type and so should provided the benefits in a way that is condusive to HOw they are already playing and enjoying the game thier sub pays for. Not require a monumental grind by all concerned in order to have it.

I never said the grind was the most fun way to do it. But its definitely far more accessible to tiny guilds than say, Nightmare Ops. Also, warzones and flashpoints are unlikely to garner than many credits. If anything, there'd be more grinding of those particular aspects if guild flagship content was unlocked through playtime.

Also, lets not pretend daily grinding is the only option available(not to mention its only about half an hour or less to earn 200k creds a day). If you'd simply use the GTN with some crafting or gathering skills, which require you to do little else than keep some empty inventory space and press a few buttons now and then, you can easily pull in a few hundred thousand a day, while going about your normal activities.

To repeat, there's no need to grind for credits to attain enough. But even assuming that you're the worst player ever, you still have the option of grinding for credits through dailies to access the content, and it doesn't even take that long in MMO terms.

No, no, it didn't. It's something they're going to implement in the future, not at the initial release.

It's funny how people listen to a video, hear something, and instantly start drawing conclusions without caring what the video actually said about it.

Honestly, they haven't actually said what the strongholds will or will not have at release.

To repeat, there's no need to grind for credits to attain enough. But even assuming that you're the worst player ever, you still have the option of grinding for credits through dailies to access the content, and it doesn't even take that long in MMO terms.

Your missing the point and there is no way you can say for certain that everyone can earn enough as none of us know how much or even what currency if any they will require to obtain at all.

My point is and remains whatever the method they NEED to be obtainable by all sizes and type of guilds irrespective of playstyle within a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of effort.

And as previously noted the most ideal way to do that is to have more than one type/size of Guild Flagship.

And again perpetuating a grind of any sort for creds if indeed it comes down to creds is FAR from being a good or ideal way of doing it.

My point is and remains whatever the method they NEED to be obtainable by all sizes and type of guilds irrespective of playstyle within a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of effort.

In my personal opinion, Guild Flashships should have two distinct phases:

1. Getting one at all.

2. Upgrading it to kingdom-come.

I believe that #1 should be, as you say, obtainable by all sizes and types of guilds irrespective of playstyle within a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of effort.

I believe that #2 should be anything but. It should be expensive, should require significant time and effort on the part of its members, and should NOT be available to anyone just for showing up.

Edited by Khevar