Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
Powertech Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rion_Starkiller
08.12.2019 , 09:41 AM | #21
How about an ability, utility, tac item, set bonus, etc that makes PT's immune to stun for the first 2-3s of Hydraulic Overrides?
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

Bonzenaattori
08.12.2019 , 01:49 PM | #22
Sigh
My post was deleted, despite the fact it wasn't insulting in anyway, nor contain anything that could qualify as a personal attack, so I'm just going to assume somebody (most likely you) reported me

Quote:
You are probably just trolling, but sure I will gladly give you a lot of examples. Also, I didn't say Powertechs gain dps when off tanking, they gain dps when they take damage, this new ability would just make it possible to off tank whilst taking way less damage than tanks.
I'm going to put this in really quick sentences.
As I mentioned previously: Many classes can do this better!
To quote myself
Quote:
Not only are there a healthy number of classes that do it better, you fail to even prove we have it to begin with rofl.
Powertech has two utilities:
Pyro Shield - deals elemental damage when you receive damage
GAJ - vents 20 heat when stunned, knocked around, immobilized etc. next tech ability deals 10% increased damage
Let's go over this real quick
Pyro shield.
only lasts 15 seconds with a cooldown of 2 minutes (dps spec)
Marauder Cloak of pain lasts longer, does more damage, has cooldown reduction, and gets damage increase from utilities. lower cooldown
Juggernaut has reflect, deals more damage upon reflect, not only to the very narrow list of abilities you mentioned. but also negates the damage also lower cooldown
Assassin has reflect, self cleanse, combat stealth shenanigans, lower cooldown
Operative has cleanse, reflect, lower cooldown
Mercenary has the same utility and then some!

To quote you:
Quote:
Powertechs can gain an insane amount of dps when taking damage, this ability would definitely fit into the unique playstyle of the class
You're wrong, every other class mentioned not only has better performances in those situations. they also have more options. So this is not an insane amount of dps when taking damage, and this is not a unique playstyle.

You are wrong.
Have a nice day

GamingCrimes
08.12.2019 , 02:51 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Bonzenaattori View Post
Sigh
My post was deleted, despite the fact it wasn't insulting in anyway, nor contain anything that could qualify as a personal attack, so I'm just going to assume somebody (most likely you) reported me

I'm going to put this in really quick sentences.
As I mentioned previously: Many classes can do this better!
To quote myself

Powertech has two utilities:
Pyro Shield - deals elemental damage when you receive damage
GAJ - vents 20 heat when stunned, knocked around, immobilized etc. next tech ability deals 10% increased damage
Let's go over this real quick
Pyro shield.
only lasts 15 seconds with a cooldown of 2 minutes (dps spec)
Marauder Cloak of pain lasts longer, does more damage, has cooldown reduction, and gets damage increase from utilities. lower cooldown
Juggernaut has reflect, deals more damage upon reflect, not only to the very narrow list of abilities you mentioned. but also negates the damage also lower cooldown
Assassin has reflect, self cleanse, combat stealth shenanigans, lower cooldown
Operative has cleanse, reflect, lower cooldown
Mercenary has the same utility and then some!

To quote you:

You're wrong, every other class mentioned not only has better performances in those situations. they also have more options. So this is not an insane amount of dps when taking damage, and this is not a unique playstyle.

You are wrong.
Have a nice day
You should probably read all the PT utilities and the passive still tree again. Obviously juggernauts or mercs have reflects, but you will only be able to utilize these on abilities you can actually reflect. I‘m guessing you are probably not raiding on the highest difficulty, so let‘s take a look at Nahut. That‘s the third boss of the newest operation and during the first phase of the fight you are constantly taking damage that you can‘t reflect. You can however deal damage through pyroshield and close and personal (disregarding the energy regeneration you additionally gain from this). This make powertech dps the best dps class by miles during that phase.
Regarding offtanking, you don’t seem to realize that mercenary or marauder dps can't taunt. All the other classes you mentioned don’t actually gain anything from it; most direct boss attacks can‘t be reflected. Some can be and in those situations reflects are better, but with the new ability PT dps have a dps gain in nearly every situation.
If you want to discuss this further you should provide some sources for your claims, otherwise I will not reply since I‘ve already wasted enough time with this.
Boatank Myr'cella

Raidlead of <Flawless> @Tulak Hord

Bonzenaattori
08.12.2019 , 03:29 PM | #24
So after claiming you can give many examples of situations where this applies, you've now fallen down to one. Impressive for sure!
It doesn't take much to realize there are far more situations where you can reflect than you are suggesting, which still puts corresponding classes with reflect ahead in dps spikes where the opportunity is at its most optimal. Not to mention, they have smaller cooldowns, which means they will be up more often. More damage return, used more frequently. Explain this "miles ahead" please!

If you're going to force bias in this discussion, by only considering the scenarios where reflect will yield no effect, then you prove this is more pointless than ever before. But even then, one fight doesn't justify "miles ahead", and never will

In the one scenario you depict as being an off-tank, 2 of the 3 classes with taunt have reflects, where targeted abilities can and will be reflected, thus, always making reflect a viable option so long as you taunt the boss and use cooldowns that will be come off cooldown much faster than Energy shield. Which, makes reflect a far better option. Despite that, these 2 of 3 classes still have better option select than a Powertech, which is one of their biggest issues right now, that you seem to keep evading on one hand, then suggesting this is somehow a 'unique playstyle' on another.
In the other scenario you depict as being a dps with no taunt, 2 of the 3 classes without taunt, have an equal or greater option, being mercenary's Pyro shield, which performs on par with Powertech, or Marauder's Cloak of Pain, which outperfoms Pyro shield AND close and personal, two classes which have far greater synergy with the corresponding abilities, Energy Shield, and Cloak of pain, both as passives, and with utilities in mind. And that IS even if you consider the usage of Close and Personal, which has a 3 sec cooldown and only triggers on aoes, not targeted dots that happen to hit everybody in the raid... like the majority of spells you listed such as Affliction and co.
In fact, Nahut is the only tangible one you used out of the list you brought up in the first palce, and its the one you're now trying to use for this example in your last post. Pretty dishonest, but sure, I'll pretend otherwise. Pyro and C&P still fall behind, sorry to say. And once again, all these classes, have better option select, meaning if they don't have optimal choice available, they can still cleanse, and use other cooldowns to give interactions that enhance their playstyle

You then mention the idea of using this new cooldown will make you sponge damage better than any tank. This is wrong, as the ability is Adv. Class based, so a Shield Spec can still sponge better than you. And skills like Immortal from Jugg will easily beat this both in stat and in principle. So I don't know what you're talking about
Even then, you have not addressed any of my points, about other classes currently having better option select than PT, you are just suggesting that in situations where reflect isn't viable due to a very, VERY narrow select interaction (apparently at your convenience), that Pyro shield is better. Which it isn't, because Cloak of Pain is still better.
Furthermore, other classes having similar effects, so once again in your example used, with Nahut, where you are constantly taking damage, a Mercenary with Pyro shield will be on par with your own Pyro Shield, and a Marauder with Cloak of Pain, will be dealing more damage, and his effect is twice as long as yours, and is half the cooldown of yours, meaning the class will have their ability up more often, and will be reciprocating more damage over its duration.

Despite that, you still ignore my original question, which is to say "How does this validate that this is a unique playstyle, when there are so many different classes who can perform the same interaction?" Unique, being, one of a kind. Having good dps opportunity doesn't make you unique, it just means you have a good utility for the scenario listed. many classes can trigger reciprocation, so how is this a 'unique playstyle'?
Feel free to answer that anytime, unless you don't want to 'waste' your time, evading the questions made in the first place. lol

Here it gets even better! Because Marauder are getting a 25% damage buff with their next ability, which will trigger every 30 seconds. Which is give or take, around the same time their berserking will come up and I can only begin to imagine the possibilities with Berserking, Furious, and Ferocity combos. I can't wait to see what happens then.
There is no mention of the new 200% armor cooldown, so if it is greater than 30 seconds... well, it will be a very short lived long expected outcome. Enjoy that

You're wrong
Have a nice day

KainrycKarr
08.12.2019 , 11:38 PM | #25
The new ability would be interesting, if it weren't for the fact that players can now "stack" armor penetration, through the new Amplifier system, and completely undermines the DCD.

Armor should be changed to flat damage reduction.
Kain'ryk Karr - Level 60 Powertech<Clan Adenn>

xSssoulx
08.13.2019 , 05:16 PM | #26
Tacticals

Juggernaut
Leviathan’s Hide tactical
Crushing blow generates stacks of crushing defense for every enemy it hits, granting 2.5% increased damage reduction per stack for 10 seconds. Stacks up to 8 times
Crushing blow 12s cooldown
Can be used 5 times during a minute

Assassins
Ancient Tome of Wrath tactical
Wither generates Redirected wrath stacks for every enemy it hits, increasing your damage reduction per stack for 10 seconds (its 2.5% per does not include the value)
Wither 10s cooldown
Can be used 6 times a minute and stacking on top of previous stacks if executed correctly
It actually last half second longer cause if you spam wither while it comes of cooldown you will build up on top of the old stacks

Powertechs
Oil Fire tactical
Oil slick makes targets succeptible (typo on PTS?) to firestorm. For each enemy affected by oil slick hit with firestorm, your damage reduction is increased by 2% and cooldown of oil slick is reduced by 1.5 seconds
Oil Slick 1min cooldown Firestorm 18seconds cooldown
Can be used 1 time during a minute or if RNG resets your firestorm at right time you can used twice in a row
Maybe add this as tactical for Shatter slug (15s cooldown): each enemy hit with shatter slug increases damage reduction by 2.5%

Set Bonuses

Juggernaut
The Undying
(2) +3% Armor
(4) After executing Mad Dash, you gain 20% damage reduction for 6 seconds
Mad Dash 45s cooldown can be used 1 during a minute

Assassins
Efficient termination
(2) +2% shield rating
(4) Spike’s stun and slow effects last for an additional second
(6) Using Spike grants you a 20% damage reduction for 6 seconds
Spike 20s cooldown can be used 3times during a minute

Powertechs
20% damage reduction for 6seconds missing why other tanking classes get it and not Powertechs
The 20% damage reduction could be put on Jet Charge change the Double Time set bonus currently:
(2) +2% Mastery
(4) Jet Charge’s range is increased by 5m
(6) Jet Charge gets 2 charges
To
(2) +2% Shield rating
(4) Jet Charge gets 2 charges
(6) Jet Charge grants you 20% damage reduction for 6 seconds
This could also similarly be copied to Juggernaut The Undying set bonus where mad dash gets second charge

Anyway which Powertech set bonus is suppose to be for tanks?
Where is love for PT tanks ... I am just leaving this information here cause anything else I would write would be ranting

Extra
Stationary Grit set bonus
(2) +2% Alacrity
(4) Increases damage by 5% while not moving, Increases armor by 5% while moving

Not moving
Armor rating 18125
Damage Reduction 49.19%
Moving
Armor rating 18301
Damage Reduction 49.42%

Can someone do the math? And find 5% correlation somewhere between those numbers

LEBU
08.14.2019 , 06:13 AM | #27
New Ability Feedback:

The new Ability Power Yield is definitley an step in the right direction. What Powertechs need the most is a new Defensive Cooldown. That there is an offensive component integrated is also great. But now that I was able to test it I think that this Ability is not even remotely strong enough and it will not change that Powertech DPS are in PVP almost always the first Target. First this Ability is only 10 seconds long and even has a ramp up time. A PT DPS with an Itemrating of 306 has normaly a Damage Reduction of about 20%. Under focus fire getting hit with Power Yield activated takes about 1-3 seconds to gain 5 stacks. With 5 stacks now we have 7-9 seconds with about 43% damage reduction. This will not make anyone in PvP to change to a different target. Everyone will just keep on hitting the PTs until they are Dead. What I think needs to be added to this Ability is a Reflect or Selfheal component and for this you could even get rid of the offensive part in my opinion.
For example: At 5 Stacks all direct Attacks are getting reflected for the remaing duration of the Buff.
Or: All Health that is lost after gaining the 5th Stack is healed back up at the end of the duration of the Buff.

Set Bonus Feedback:

- Double Time: Increasing the range of Jet Charge did not work at all. Also activating Jet Charge at a distance over 30m triggers the cooldown but did not move the character.
Also if you have the Battering Ram Utility the 2nd Jet charge is consumed when you use your <10m Battering Ram Jump. 4 jumps in a row not possible like this.

- Game Plan: The damage that is dealt back to the enemy that triggers your Kolto Overload is very underwhelming. Almost not even noticable. Makes this Set Bonus useless when only triggered by such a long cooldown ability.

- Hunter Killer: There is no animation or buff to show that the area around you also revealed when using Stealth Scan.

- Right Price: The Power Yield duration is not extended by 5s. Reduction of Explosive Fuel CD when taking damage is working properly.

- Squad Leader: Interesting Set Bonus that seems to work like intended. The damage reduction that is applied to nearby allys is 10% and with enough incoming damage the uptime of that ally-shield is almost 100% of the Energy Shield duration.

- Strategist: Seems to work nicely. I can see some PVPers using this a lot.

- Veteran Ranger: Set Bonus did what it schould. But I think the vulnerable from the Searing Wave is with 5 sec way to short. And I dont like the RNG that is associated with this Set. Nobody likes RNG. Just make it 100% chance to trigger a 2nd Rocket and reduce the damage of that Rocket if you have to.

- Woads Instict: I need to do some more testing on this but the recharge of the 2nd Thermal Sensor Override seems a bit long.

I think there is a Set Bonus missing that is primarily for the Tank Discipline.
Why is every 2 piece Set Bonus +2% Mastery? Very boring.

Tacticals Feedback:

- Sonic Heal: Heals you and allies around you for only about 1000 hp which is < 0.5% health. So underwhelming that noone will equip this ever. Needs to be at least a 10-20x higher heal to be viable.

- Second Contract: Seems to work nicely. I can see some PVPers using this a lot. Even works together with the Reel and Rattle Utility.

- Neural Trigger: Seems to work nicely. I can see some PVPers using this a lot.

- Powerlode: Getting the 4 Energy Lodes from Power Yield works great. This Tactical can make a nice Burst I think. But please adjust the 2nd part of the Tactical. In Operations you almost never get hit critically so its useless there. Please change into something like: "Taking damage while under Power Yield builds an Energy Lode. This effect can not occur more than once every 2 seconds."

- Energized Blade: I dont really get this Tactical. Your little Dot deals more damage (I guess its about 10-20% at 4 stacks) with this Tactical but when you use your hardest hitting ability you lose that small damage bonus. Makes no sense for me and I cant see where and why anyone would ever use this because its a very minimal dps increase even if there would be a 100% uptime on that bonus.

- Flame Detonation: Nice Tactical. Gives the Advanced Prototype Discipline and fun way to increase his AOE damage.

- Hotswap: Overall a nice Tactical. Finally makes Translocate not completly useless anymore because the swapped player gets 100% dmg reduction. And I dont think thats overpovered because the player needs to be guarded first and then you still have to channel the ability. I could not see if the taunt is working and I didnt see a buff for the benign presence that is placed on you or what it does. Also it is strange that the guard on the swapped player is removed after using Translocate. I think the player should stay guarded.

- Thermal Screen: Heat screen Stacks up to 6 times but when you activate Heat Blast only 3 stacks are consumed and you get the same Absorbtion Buff like before. I think I would be nicer if you can consume all 6 stacks at once for a bigger Absorbtion Buff.

- Oil Fire: The mechanics of this Tactical worked but the damage reduction that you gain seems to be wrong. Tooltip says that you gain 2% damage reduction for every target you hit but i only recieved about 0.15% per target.

- Flame Dissipation: I really like this Tactical. Reducing the heat-cost for the pyro core-ability Searing Wave helps alot with the difficult heat-management of that discipline. Also you get those Flame Dissipation stacks in an unique way that it could be beneficial to change the old rotation to speed up the stack-generation. I think that this tactical has the potential to be rotation- and playstyle-defining.

- Explosive Weaponary: Pyro is already a Disciplie with good AoE abilities but with this tactical I think there will be no other Class in the game that can deal so much AoE in a 15 sec window. Could be a little bit overpovered in some bossfights but needs to be tested further.

- Superheated Fuel: What exactly is defined as a "Flame Attack"? For me every Pyro-Ability in the normal rotation (with the exeption of rapid shots and rail shot) has something to do with flames or fire. So this Tactical pretty much changes Explosive Fuel from +25% critical hit chance to 100%. I think this would make Pyro a better Burst-Discipline then Advanced Prototype and could be a little bit overpovered in some bossfights but I like it and will test it more.

- Flying Fists: It is designated wrong as a Mercenary Tactical. Also the tooltip says Rocked Punch has now a range of 10m but in reality it increses the range by 10 to 14m. Tactical also works with the Pyro-ability Flaming Fist.

I hope this feedback was understandable, not too long and helps you to bugfix and make the right adjustments.

Rion_Starkiller
08.14.2019 , 10:32 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LEBU View Post
- Double Time: Increasing the range of Jet Charge did not work at all. Also activating Jet Charge at a distance over 30m triggers the cooldown but did not move the character.
Also if you have the Battering Ram Utility the 2nd Jet charge is consumed when you use your <10m Battering Ram Jump. 4 jumps in a row not possible like this.
I suggested on the class forums a while back that the problem with the Battering Ram utility is that the 2nd jump is on too short of a cooldown to be used properly. Ideally, you would be able to use the 2nd jump as a filler that deals somewhat more damage than basic attack. But it cannot be used as part of the opener, or it is a dps loss, thus the proc expires before you can use it as a filler during your first rotation after the opener.

My suggestion: Increase the duration of the Battering Ram proc!
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Bonzenaattori
08.14.2019 , 01:21 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
I suggested on the class forums a while back that the problem with the Battering Ram utility is that the 2nd jump is on too short of a cooldown to be used properly. Ideally, you would be able to use the 2nd jump as a filler that deals somewhat more damage than basic attack. But it cannot be used as part of the opener, or it is a dps loss, thus the proc expires before you can use it as a filler during your first rotation after the opener.

My suggestion: Increase the duration of the Battering Ram proc!
Or they could make it a unique skill that triggers whenever your within 10m of the target, and just make battering ram a double leap instead of... whatever the hell it is now.
And Jet Charge's damage still doesn't... ..ugh nevermind

Also, for those who haven't played the PTS yet, the Powertech cooldown is 2 mins... so, lul
Any hope of using Explo. Fuel in tandem with new cooldown will throw it out of whack the moment you use the new passive, and get cd red. on Explo. Fuel
I think 2 mins is extremely long for a very narrow defensive/offensive, that is so situational, I don't think you can be sad if you fail to max stack it for whatever scenario.
But then again, with all the armor pen floating in the game atm and ranged classes abusing dot specs for easy play, I highly doubt ppl will ever see the 200% armor rating as an immediate threat if they stack it carelessly.
Whatever, I have a ton of marauders I can play, so no skin off my nose

The delusional can enjoy the "80%" damage reduction that will never happen... every 2 minutes lol

Rion_Starkiller
08.14.2019 , 02:37 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Bonzenaattori View Post
Or they could make it a unique skill that triggers whenever your within 10m of the target, and just make battering ram a double leap instead of... whatever the hell it is now.
And Jet Charge's damage still doesn't... ..ugh nevermind
Yeah, that works too. "Battering Ram: Jet Charge now deals 50% more damage, roots the target for 1s, and can be used within 10m or less."

Anything is better than the current.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ