I'm TIRED of how Ranked works.

StepTNT

This is something like a rant, so feel free to move over.

Today I lost 70+ rating due to how Ranked works, and this is the last time that this happens as I won't renew my subscription for a very long time, even if it's sad as I've been a loyal sub since 2.0.

The amount of cr@p that we have to deal with in solo ranked is way too much for something that should be fun, and it's all related to your bad choices.

First of all, you allow every undergeared and unexperienced player to join a Ranked arena because the entry requirement is a joke, plus, you give them a daily quest that they will try to complete to get gear. The result is that we get players without bonus set, stim and augments playing in the same arena with someone with min/maxed gear that is struggling to get a little bit of points just to get into T3 (after being T1 for 4 seasons in a row).

This leads basically to 4vs3 games, but you'll still lose rating as in a normal 4vs4 because the 4th useless player is there. When politely asked why is he playing in a competitive game mode without the appropriate gear and skill, that 4th useless player usually replies that he needs to complete the daily if he wants to get gear, and this is the direct consequence of how you implemented Galactic Command.

I also saw people kicking "noobs" from a Ranked arena so that they couldn't complete their daily, and the reasoning behind this is that if you let me lose rating because of your daily, I'll try to stop you from completing it. Do you want to encourage this behavior?

Talking about gear again, is it hard to require a minimum gear rating of 246 to join the Ranked queue during an active season? I don't mind about preseason, but you can't let people do dailies while I'm grinding for 7 points (yeah, 7 if you win and -14 if you lose, as always..).

If not undergeared or unexperienced, some of them are either trolls or wintraders (you know, the only way of getting 4k rating on 2 characters), or, in the best case, they're just bad. So, why all the team must be punished because of them? I know, it's a recurrent subject, but what did you do to tackle this issue? Yeah, Ranked tokens, meaning that skilled players that have less free time will get less rewards than mindless drones farming arenas 24/7.

ELO is a rating system born for 1vs1 games, it doesn't fit SWTOR.

What about, after a loss, only who performed below losing team's average gets his rating reduced? I can't lose 14 points if, as a DPS player, I do more damage than my whole team combined. It's just not fair. Last week I lost 14 ELO despite doing about 5k dps, while arena's average was around 2600. I know, it's not about the raw numbers, but you have to trust me when I say that I was attacking the correct target and it wasn't some random damage just to boost numbers.

Finally, why arenas don't have an exhaustion zone as in 8v8 ones?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the rant.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your frustration, trust me a lot of people feel your pain. For starters match making in solo is a joke, so that's for starters. Acid is border line retarded, 4s nobody likes it cause of lack of diversity and stacked classes. There is no gear check for ranked so basically a causal player can enter since expertise was taken away. There is win traders, hackers, and people who troll and throw matches daily.

Only ranked that was set up for real competition in this game was 8 man ranked where games we're won by a attrition, focus, great tanks, and a serious amount of good players understanding their role. That was ripped away and what we have now is regs and unbalanced ranked.

I started some threads about this problem myself and while I got some really helpful and helpful replies, I also got some discouraging ones.

A typical ranked jock, who is an avid defender of this current BS rating and matchmaking system will tell you that if you cannot climb the ranks, you absolutely suck and maybe need to delete game.

I had a similar thing happen to me last week when one day I gained 100 rating points in one night where I won like 20 matches and lost like 3 and the next day I lost almost 80 points. And the answer that I got from the ranked jock was that I suck.. and probably got carried the other day.

Anyway, I totally support your problem and believe me, many people have this problem.

However, the fact lower geared people are allowed in has given us MORE FREQUENT pops but on the other hand lots of 3 vs 4 matches happen because Jeff who has no clue and has 109k health won't last long enough to push one DCD' button on his keyboard.

I think Jeff is a necessary evil even because without Jeff queing, we would have LESS pops and personally wouldn't want to wait 35 mins for a damn pop to lose 15 points.

Sometimes even 248 geared people die in the same way like low geared ppl do because if you get globalled, it's a matter opf time before you are out.

The other thing I might agree with is your proposal about elo gain.

Maybe the guy who did 30k dps in rounds should lose 15 elo for the loss and you an me who performed A LOT better should lose 8 or 9 ? or even 5 ? I would love to see something like this. I think it's a good idea. ;)

ALso, It should work the same way for wins. The elo gains should be merit based ! You were the top wolf in your team ? you get the most rating. Maybe it would encouarge people to try harder to boost their performance.

And the best part of it would be that if someone is getting carried, he wouldn't gain that +15 as the other because his performance as a carried player wouldn't be anything the other's.

The devs need to encourage people to que ranked. The community is small and this causes many problems with matchmaking.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

I feel your pain. I played a bit at the start but I'm a min/maxer so I wanted to gear out a bit more. Did that, came back, full of hackers. So after a few games I went away again. Dabbled here and there but the people in the queue, as you stated, that shouldn't be there, ruined it again for me.

Just recently I saw a person spamming /2 healers queue up. I was queueing some regs and saw it, played a game, saw it some more, played another game and he was still asking. So I thought to myself, sure I'll queue so he can get some games.

Queued up.

There were two players from the same guild, (supposedly a decent pvp guild?) who were queue syncing trying to get on the same team, it put them on opposite teams.

Jokingly before the game started I mentioned for the one on my team to not throw the game. (to which he got red-coolaid triggered, btw)

He did.

As a sniper, he litterally stood up about 15 seconds into the fight and W-key walked across the fight, like through all the melee. He hasn't used PVP cleanse or any other defensives yet. He gets stunned, and doesnt bother to cleanse, has a second or two after the stun wears off to roll/evasive/entrench+crouch, something, anything, and just continues to walk, as if he was just holding W key. He gets stunned again and dies.

I'm a healer, I watch buffs for defensives so I know if I need to offensive cooldown for a stun (IE, they didnt DCD before the stun).

Two games of that.

I'm like /eyeroll because at this point I really dont GAF, I was just trying to get that other guy some games. But nah, fck that.

These punk kids have no integrity, no accountability, their parents are raising trash to later feed off society. I really think online PVP games draws to their deceitful nature. It's sad.

Not sure how to fix solo PVP but I think alot could be done to marginalize solo PVP and elevate team pvp. It's not hard to find 3 other people to play with.

Edited by Wimbleton

Not sure how to fix solo PVP but I think alot could be done to marginalize solo PVP and elevate team pvp. It's not hard to find 3 other people to play with...

There really is no fix because the basic premise is wrong: Keeping "score" when the other 3 people on your team are random is foolishness. No amount of skill can overcome bad queue luck.

Solo Ranked = Queue Luck Score

Nothing more.

Solution: Queue Group Ranked

Edited by Foambreaker

I feel your pain. I played a bit at the start but I'm a min/maxer so I wanted to gear out a bit more. Did that, came back, full of hackers. So after a few games I went away again. Dabbled here and there but the people in the queue, as you stated, that shouldn't be there, ruined it again for me.

Just recently I saw a person spamming /2 healers queue up. I was queueing some regs and saw it, played a game, saw it some more, played another game and he was still asking. So I thought to myself, sure I'll queue so he can get some games.

Queued up.

There were two players from the <Sick Twisted Individuals> guild, (supposedly a decent pvp guild?) who were queue syncing trying to get on the same team. Well matchmaker 1, STI 0, because it put them on opposite teams.

Jokingly before the game started I mentioned for the one on my team to not throw the game. (to which he got red-coolaid triggered, btw)

He did.

As a sniper, he litterally stood up about 15 seconds into the fight and W-key walked across the fight, like through all the melee. He hasn't used PVP cleanse or any other defensives yet. He gets stunned, and doesnt bother to cleanse, has a second or two after the stun wears off to roll/evasive/entrench+crouch, something, anything, and just continues to walk, as if he was just holding W key. He gets stunned again and dies.

I'm a healer, I watch buffs for defensives so I know if I need to offensive cooldown for a stun (IE, they didnt DCD before the stun).

Two games of that.

I'm like /eyeroll because at this point I really dont GAF, I was just trying to get that other guy some games. But nah, fck that.

These punk kids have no integrity, no accountability, their parents are raising trash to later feed off society. I really think online PVP games draws to their deceitful nature. It's sad.

Not sure how to fix solo PVP but I think alot could be done to marginalize solo PVP and elevate team pvp. It's not hard to find 3 other people to play with.

Not trolling, great post and feel same.

Also, qsync is strong on harb, always was..

Lots of good points. I got sick of ranked early on , checked one of my toons the other day that had 9 games and a 1300ish rating. So I did 1 match just to get my 10 games and my bronze rewards at the end of the season. I que up, and my team is filled with myself and others in the 1200 ish rating ( yes I checked afterwards), and we are up a team that consisted of players all around 2500-3000 rating. Yes some players are better than others I get it, but when you constantly go up a team that has much better players all the time, it gets discouraging when your probably know the outcome before the match starts. I just wish the team comps would be more balanced, not the best vs the worst.

I started some threads about this problem myself and while I got some really helpful and helpful replies, I also got some discouraging ones.

A typical ranked jock, who is an avid defender of this current BS rating and matchmaking system will tell you that if you cannot climb the ranks, you absolutely suck and maybe need to delete game.

I had a similar thing happen to me last week when one day I gained 100 rating points in one night where I won like 20 matches and lost like 3 and the next day I lost almost 80 points. And the answer that I got from the ranked jock was that I suck.. and probably got carried the other day.

Anyway, I totally support your problem and believe me, many people have this problem.

However, the fact lower geared people are allowed in has given us MORE FREQUENT pops but on the other hand lots of 3 vs 4 matches happen because Jeff who has no clue and has 109k health won't last long enough to push one DCD' button on his keyboard.

I think Jeff is a necessary evil even because without Jeff queing, we would have LESS pops and personally wouldn't want to wait 35 mins for a damn pop to lose 15 points.

Sometimes even 248 geared people die in the same way like low geared ppl do because if you get globalled, it's a matter opf time before you are out.

The other thing I might agree with is your proposal about elo gain.

Maybe the guy who did 30k dps in rounds should lose 15 elo for the loss and you an me who performed A LOT better should lose 8 or 9 ? or even 5 ? I would love to see something like this. I think it's a good idea. ;)

ALso, It should work the same way for wins. The elo gains should be merit based ! You were the top wolf in your team ? you get the most rating. Maybe it would encouarge people to try harder to boost their performance.

And the best part of it would be that if someone is getting carried, he wouldn't gain that +15 as the other because his performance as a carried player wouldn't be anything the other's.

The devs need to encourage people to que ranked. The community is small and this causes many problems with matchmaking.

If they start rewarding based off performance, the team aspect will suffer because people will go for personal productivity at the expense of helping a teammate. If a teammate needs a heal, and i have the option of healing them or dpsing instead, according to a productivity system, im gonna dps and let my teammate die so they cant dps and do better than me. This may not be the intended result of your elo scoring, but people tend to adapt to the method that benefits them more. And you know that top performer is gonna come with the $hitt3r comments afterwards because that system encourages it even more than our current system.

On a side note regarding the "broken" elo system of pitting high elo ratings vs lower elo ratings - all the talk is very contradictory. On one hand people claim hgih rating players queue sync and hack, etc., but then claim its not fair they are going against better players because of their elo ratings. Very inconsistent argument.

I agree...

Plus the matchmaking...

I was on the winning side today, we imps had 2 mercs (arsenal) and 2 snipers (1 engi, 1 mm)

Opposing team of reps had 2 sents, and 2 shadows, skilled, because we gained +14 or smth when we won.

I can't say they were bad, but this was a damn slaughter, they stood no chance whatsoever, I had to do a 1 v 1 with a shadow, and I laughed my *** of while he was trying to do any damage to me, i imagin it felt like **** on his side.

On days, I have dudes getting globalled every game and still queuing, and I loose a ******** of rating because of it, so yeah....i think I might be leaving soon too.

If you did 5k dps - it doesn't mean you're exceptionally good (in most cases), it means you were left to freecast (maybe because you're playing FOTM class). Meanwhile someone in your team had 4 people on him without any possibility to do anything close. Maybe instead of doing some of that dps you could peel for him, get a CC, throw some offheals if you're merc or operative. Doing raw dps doesn't always win games.

As for undergeared people and GC, yes it's crap. Removing PVP gear with expertise was a big mistake.

As for RNG with team mates, it's not only you, everyone is getting random teams, everyone has losing streaks. At some point you will get lucky and get your rating back. If you're actually better than other players you will eventually climb.

Also ending of the season isn't a good time to farm rating, since everyone that haven't paid attention to ranked is queueing right now.

Edited by DerSchneider

You said it, brother!

If you did 5k dps - it doesn't mean you're exceptionally good (in most cases), it means you were left to freecast (maybe because you're playing FOTM class). Meanwhile someone in your team had 4 people on him without any possibility to do anything close. Maybe instead of doing some of that dps you could peel for him, get a CC, throw some offheals if you're merc or operative. Doing raw dps doesn't always win games.

Cannot agree more on this, anyone that is not merc / sniper must have been through this, got gangb*nged first and couldn't move an inch till death, I've been play dps Jugg/Guardian a lot this season and I got targeted 1st more than 50% of the time.. tough season :/

Edited by royren

This is something like a rant, so feel free to move over.

Today I lost 70+ rating due to how Ranked works, and this is the last time that this happens as I won't renew my subscription for a very long time, even if it's sad as I've been a loyal sub since 2.0.

The amount of cr@p that we have to deal with in solo ranked is way too much for something that should be fun, and it's all related to your bad choices.

First of all, you allow every undergeared and unexperienced player to join a Ranked arena because the entry requirement is a joke, plus, you give them a daily quest that they will try to complete to get gear. The result is that we get players without bonus set, stim and augments playing in the same arena with someone with min/maxed gear that is struggling to get a little bit of points just to get into T3 (after being T1 for 4 seasons in a row).

This leads basically to 4vs3 games, but you'll still lose rating as in a normal 4vs4 because the 4th useless player is there. When politely asked why is he playing in a competitive game mode without the appropriate gear and skill, that 4th useless player usually replies that he needs to complete the daily if he wants to get gear, and this is the direct consequence of how you implemented Galactic Command.

I also saw people kicking "noobs" from a Ranked arena so that they couldn't complete their daily, and the reasoning behind this is that if you let me lose rating because of your daily, I'll try to stop you from completing it. Do you want to encourage this behavior?

Talking about gear again, is it hard to require a minimum gear rating of 246 to join the Ranked queue during an active season? I don't mind about preseason, but you can't let people do dailies while I'm grinding for 7 points (yeah, 7 if you win and -14 if you lose, as always..).

If not undergeared or unexperienced, some of them are either trolls or wintraders (you know, the only way of getting 4k rating on 2 characters), or, in the best case, they're just bad. So, why all the team must be punished because of them? I know, it's a recurrent subject, but what did you do to tackle this issue? Yeah, Ranked tokens, meaning that skilled players that have less free time will get less rewards than mindless drones farming arenas 24/7.

ELO is a rating system born for 1vs1 games, it doesn't fit SWTOR.

What about, after a loss, only who performed below losing team's average gets his rating reduced? I can't lose 14 points if, as a DPS player, I do more damage than my whole team combined. It's just not fair. Last week I lost 14 ELO despite doing about 5k dps, while arena's average was around 2600. I know, it's not about the raw numbers, but you have to trust me when I say that I was attacking the correct target and it wasn't some random damage just to boost numbers.

Finally, why arenas don't have an exhaustion zone as in 8v8 ones?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the rant.

ranked is a roll of dice for sure and higher rating people usually que synch to maximize their chance to win (its common practice) and nothing bioware or any player can do about it , its because due to population so match making elo is not working properly

so lower elo player with match with much higher elo rating --- gold rating player vs bronze player rating

and maybe if they que synch they talk in discord also , so beside these people are usually good player also but using this method they avoid grouping with lower elo people thus they will gain rating much faster and maximize their chances to win

unless you do above , i think we should casually play rank as form of entertaiment nothing else or you get more frustated and want to smash your keyboard

and wintrader will always be there .... i mean some player reach 4k plus elo which is i think is crazy

thnk about it when u have so hiigh rating you might win 1 point elo per win and maybe lose 30 point or per lose mean u have to keep wining or you need to win 30 win in row :eek: just to gain 1 rating

Edited by KumbayaGOD

Sync q, q dodge, win trade, switch sides/roles, trolls, toxic tryhard kids, undergeared or UP specs. Why peoples still que for this? Tryharder will always use something not fair - i know manys who did it, some of them still playing, and btw cross-faction can solve half of yolos problems + often pops for both sides. Peoples asked for this 3 years ago, nothing chaged. Edited by helpmewin

Trying to reply to everyone but this forum lacks a multi-quote option, sorry if I missed any of you and thanks for your replies!

(..)

(..)

Well, I'd rather have one winning arena each 30 mins than 2 losing ones every 15min :)

(..)

That's the reason why I started too late to get some rating, I didn't want to join with less than optimal gear and now I'm the one with ruined rating -.-

(..)

Well, group ranked means team coordination and other things. You need to build a team and do a lot of training together to avoid being smashed by people that are already used to play as a team. Of course you need a lot of free time too, which is a luxury that I don't have now.

If they start rewarding based off performance, the team aspect will suffer because people will go for personal productivity at the expense of helping a teammate. If a teammate needs a heal, and i have the option of healing them or dpsing instead, according to a productivity system, im gonna dps and let my teammate die so they cant dps and do better than me. This may not be the intended result of your elo scoring, but people tend to adapt to the method that benefits them more. And you know that top performer is gonna come with the $hitt3r comments afterwards because that system encourages it even more than our current system.

(..)

I don't agree on this.

Helping the team helps you winning, which is the final goal.

Personal performance should be only evaluated in case of a loss, and should take into account everything that your class is capable off.

For example, I usually end up as top dps and top healer because, while doing damage, I try to keep my mates alive. Still, I lose my 14 points as the dummy guy that stands still while being killed.

So, using personal performance in case of loss may help the ones that really played to win, punishing only who delivered sub-optimal performances.

From OP (I'm not playing merc or sniper, I'm not a fotm re-roller):

I know, it's not about the raw numbers, but you have to trust me when I say that I was attacking the correct target and it wasn't some random damage just to boost numbers.

Also, it the same game I did >1M healing, despite we had a healer.

Also ending of the season isn't a good time to farm rating, since everyone that haven't paid attention to ranked is queueing right now.

I know, but unless you stopped having a life, getting to full 248 gear requires too much time to start playing before the end of the season. I played like 5 hours a week since they released GC, still I had to BUY (using unassambled, to buy 230, 242 and finally 248) my last set piece just last week.

I got my 248 offhand quite early, since that day I collected more than 10 244 offhands and countless other duplicates, while not getting that last needed piece. And this happens because GC looks like it's rigged to let you grind more, as instead of getting the only piece that I needed I spent two months getting a lot of useless duplicates.

I know, but unless you stopped having a life, getting to full 248 gear requires too much time to start playing before the end of the season. I played like 5 hours a week since they released GC, still I had to BUY (using unassambled, to buy 230, 242 and finally 248) my last set piece just last week.

You don't need 248 gear to be competitive.

Solo ranked is a game mode, and it's far from perfect. However, the biggest misconception I see from people is they think because they did X amount of DPS / HPS they should of won and it's everyone else who is ruining their rating. From my observation, most players are average skill level, have an average solo ranked IQ, but they feel they're a top notch player. An average player, should not exceed the silver rating without a massive amount of luck, and most of the time they don't. People scream about queue syncing and blah blah blah, but fact of the matter is a lot of those people who exceed gold rating are the same people, every season. It's not because they're queue syncing or win trading. They understand the system, they're exceptional solo ranked players, and they are a step above the rest allowing them to win matches they probably shouldn't of won.

A big part of solo ranked is knowing when to queue. If there are 2 healers in queue, and one is light years better than the other, it's probably best to hold off until a 3rd healer gets in queue that is at least comparable to the other healer. Carrying healers/tanks is probably the hardest thing to do in solo ranked. But understanding the queue and how to maximize your matches you play is a strong part of gaining ELO. Knowing multiple roles will increase your chances, ie: Play an operative DPS, they can perform well in most scenarios. If healers start queuing and one is awful switch to heals. If all the DPS are at least average, now you really only have to outplay or at least keep up with the other healer.

People can diminish the accomplishments of other palyers in solo ranked all they want by saying its luck/wintrading/queue syncing all they want. But from my observation of 8 seasons of this game, I can tell you there's more to it, and the names you see at the top of the leader boards probably are better than the ones in the middle, in solo ranked at least. There are exceptions to the rules, as there are well known win traders and manipulators, and guys flying out of the map with scripts. But they are a minority.

Yolos have been garbage since the beginning and will continue to be until Bioware actually fixes the rating system and queues.

It's only going to get worse with the announced changes to unassembled components

I thought you unsubbed like a month ago? Why do you keep coming back? :rolleyes:

You don't need 248 gear to be competitive.

Solo ranked is a game mode, and it's far from perfect. However, the biggest misconception I see from people is they think because they did X amount of DPS / HPS they should of won and it's everyone else who is ruining their rating. From my observation, most players are average skill level, have an average solo ranked IQ, but they feel they're a top notch player. An average player, should not exceed the silver rating without a massive amount of luck, and most of the time they don't. People scream about queue syncing and blah blah blah, but fact of the matter is a lot of those people who exceed gold rating are the same people, every season. It's not because they're queue syncing or win trading. They understand the system, they're exceptional solo ranked players, and they are a step above the rest allowing them to win matches they probably shouldn't of won.

A big part of solo ranked is knowing when to queue. If there are 2 healers in queue, and one is light years better than the other, it's probably best to hold off until a 3rd healer gets in queue that is at least comparable to the other healer. Carrying healers/tanks is probably the hardest thing to do in solo ranked. But understanding the queue and how to maximize your matches you play is a strong part of gaining ELO. Knowing multiple roles will increase your chances, ie: Play an operative DPS, they can perform well in most scenarios. If healers start queuing and one is awful switch to heals. If all the DPS are at least average, now you really only have to outplay or at least keep up with the other healer.

People can diminish the accomplishments of other palyers in solo ranked all they want by saying its luck/wintrading/queue syncing all they want. But from my observation of 8 seasons of this game, I can tell you there's more to it, and the names you see at the top of the leader boards probably are better than the ones in the middle, in solo ranked at least. There are exceptions to the rules, as there are well known win traders and manipulators, and guys flying out of the map with scripts. But they are a minority.

What a load of bulls**t... Please **** !

I've talked to these high rated folk about what to do.. they said its simple: "que with friends". Easy right ? They gave me the solution.

Only idiots que and expect to be competitive with randoms. mathematically not possible.

Rating is just a number. Doesn't mean that your good or bad. It means you were just unlucky. If your initial matches were bad.. stop queing and reroll on another char and try again. It's easy.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

The way you keep saying this is getting kind of creepy, are you some kind of weird stalker?

Show me on the doll...

The way you are trying to protect her is sad at best. You are willing to waste your time trying to get in the good graces of someone who keeps saying they are leaving when they actually mean they will just stick around and complain about the game on the forums for the next 6 months? You seem like a really intelligent person. :rolleyes:

Let me know when you actually have something to say that isn't about trying to be icykill's wingman. :rak_03:

Edited by JargoFett

What a load of bulls**t... Please **** !
His post is completely accurate.

I've talked to these high rated folk about what to do.. they said its simple: "que with friends". Easy right ? They gave me the solution.
Who are these "high rated folk?" Please name some.

Only idiots que and expect to be competitive with randoms. mathematically not possible.
Everyone deals with the same randomness. Over time the impact of randomness averages out and players who pull their weight climb. Players who do not stagnate. This is why you see the same good players getting gold on multiple classes every season. Just as he said.

People manage to do this in every game that has a similar ELO ladder. Not just SWTOR.

Rating is just a number. Doesn't mean that your good or bad. It means you were just unlucky. If your initial matches were bad.. stop queing and reroll on another char and try again. It's easy.
The same players get lucky every season all the way up to 3K :rolleyes: Edited by yellow_

The way you are trying to protect her is sad at best. You are willing to waste your time trying to get in the good graces of someone who keeps saying they are leaving when they actually mean they will just stick around and complain about the game on the forums for the next 6 months? You seem like a really intelligent person. :rolleyes:

Let me know when you actually have something to say that isn't about trying to be icykill's wingman. :rak_03:

Keep telling yourself that stalker :p