Gee, it's a good thing we can make orange versions of all armour designs!

Thaed

Oh, wait. We can't.

Edit edit: Pretend everything below this point doesn't exist. It's irrelevant and Thaed dum for including it.

Seems that come 1.2, we'll be limited to 5-10 sets of armour.

Edit: Checked a database, counted 13 medium armours. That's not accounting for different faction/class restrictions.

Edited by Thaed

HUH? Armormech alone has 25+, 2 and 3 piece sets.

Did you remember to add limitations based on faction and class?

Sure, I probably exaggerated a bit, but Synthweaving/Armourmech don't nearly cover all of the armour designs. It's going to be a shame for the people that actually like the look of their PvP/PvE armour.

Did you remember to add limitations based on faction and class?

Sure, I probably exaggerated a bit, but Synthweaving/Armourmech don't nearly cover all of the armour designs. It's going to be a shame for the people that actually like the look of their PvP/PvE armour.

I agree that existing end game designs should either 'drop' or have a way to get an augment slot on them.

But why start your first post with hyperbole?

I agree that existing end game designs should either 'drop' or have a way to get an augment slot on them.

But why start your first post with hyperbole?

Because last time I had a look, I recall their being only around 5 sets per class. Shoddy memory.

Because last time I had a look, I recall their being only around 5 sets per class. Shoddy memory.

Because people confuse palette swaps as actual "designs".

Each class has about 6-8 sets of gear appearances, then palette swapped the entire game. What you see in the class progression vids are basically it for the class, just different colours for the ingame selection.

Crafting makes about 3 that are orange customs, again, palette swaps don't count.

From the looks of it, 1.2 won't even add that many unique skins to gears.

The new tier of pvp/raid gears, no guarantee that it'll actually have a different gear mesh considering the previous tiers (cent/champ/bm, tio/colu/raka) were all palette swaps of the same mesh.

The "new schematics", most likely just more of what's already ingame but made a different colour/custom, again, not likely to have new never before seen gear meshes.If they do, they'll put in what, +1 per class/armor type? So that's a +1, maybe 2 at best per character.

And then the doubly stated "legacy items".

The requirements are legacy levels, meaning it's grind requirement gears, however "cool" they make it, it's unlikely to be that different from what's already ingame style wise. Also unlikely are the variety, legacy gears are more than likely to only have 1 of light, 2 med, 2 heavy appearances per faction, so if people want to be viable then they will add 1 to their new collection of gear sets.

So 1 pvp, 1 raid, 1 legacy, and 1 crafting set adds about 4 to our current stock of 8ish appearances, subtract 3 newb appearances and you get around ~9 in total for what each class gets. If you don't pvp/raid as much however, you'll end with -2-4 to that and get 5 per class/armor type. Yeah, still lame in terms of gear appearance selection.

So yeah, we'll likely only get 5-10 sets of unique gear meshes per class/armor type, even with 1.2. BioWare isn't that great with unique character customization options, SWTOR has been a palette swap fest since day 1 and will likely remain so until they put in a proper gear dye/paint system. Until then, expect less from them in terms of variety, they've been doing the base minimum to get by so far and unlikely to change anytime soon.

Edited by Talorya

\SWTOR has been a palette swap fest since day 1 and will likely remain so until they put in a proper gear dye/paint system.
So this game will stop being a palette swap fest when they add in a literal palette between which we can swap our armor's colors?

Oh, wait. We can't.

Edit: Checked a database, counted 13 medium armours. That's not accounting for different faction/class restrictions.

Your right, you can't. But I don't think this was ever promised. You can, however, obtain orange versions of all gear by some method - flashpoints, token rewards, random drops, etc. However I do agree that currently, the options are far too limited. But look carefully at some of the armor. While much of it looks similar, there will often me smaller differences other than what appears to be mainly a color swap.

Also, I don't think any of the current databases are up to date, but I don't check them regularly so I don't know. But I wouldn't trust those numbers too much. Anyways, while not perfect, things should improve quite a bit after 1.2.

Your right, you can't. But I don't think this was ever promised. You can, however, obtain orange versions of all gear by some method - flashpoints, token rewards, random drops, etc. However I do agree that currently, the options are far too limited. But look carefully at some of the armor. While much of it looks similar, there will often me smaller differences other than what appears to be mainly a color swap.

Also, I don't think any of the current databases are up to date, but I don't check them regularly so I don't know. But I wouldn't trust those numbers too much. Anyways, while not perfect, things should improve quite a bit after 1.2.

If you can find me an orange version of the level 10 Agent's Vest anywhere, I'll give you a medal.

They should just make all armour, whether it be orange, green, blue, purple or even white, fully modable.

Agreed. If they are determined not to implement an appearance tab functionality, this would at least allow us to customize our look.

Oh, wait. We can't.

Uh. Are you counting the purple sets as well? Because you should be--as they will have the exact same moddable ability as orange currently do.

They should just make all armour, whether it be orange, green, blue, purple or even white, fully modable.

it used to be like this in beta.

In beta they also had different types of armor mods. One for Chest, Feet, etc but they changed that system because it was too complex. Now they are figuring out that their original system is required if they want to keep their orange mod system and are reversing that change.

The orange mod system is great... for modifying your stats. But Bioware is trying to make it a substitute for an Appearance Tab but slow at implementing the work required to make it on par.

Not only do they have to create an orange version of every item and colour scheme, they have to program a way for players to obtain these recipes and organize them in a HUGE list of items they can craft...

or they can just admit their mod system needs too much work and just give us an appearance tab and keep working on their mod system for the purpose of modifications.

Edited by illgot

it used to be like this in beta.

In beta they also had different types of armor mods. One for Chest, Feet, etc but they changed that system because it was too complex. Then at the end of beta they changed it. Now they are figuring out that their original system is required if they want to keep their orange mod system and are reversing that change.

The orange mod system is great... for modifying your stats. But Bioware is trying to make it a substitute for an Appearance Tab but slow at implementing the work required to make it on par.

Not only do they have to create an orange version of every item and colour scheme, they have to program a way for players to obtain these recipes and organize them in a HUGE list of items they can craft...

or they can just admit their mod system needs too much work and just give us an appearance tab and keep working on their mod system for the purpose of modifications.

Not really, they could add a dye system which would limit the number of different patterns needed while increasing the number of possible color-scheme variations. Each pattern's skin would have areas that would have the dye applied to minimizing or eliminating problems with armor skins looking absolutely terrible.

The other way they could go is a modification of how Perfect World works. In Perfect World there are two types of gear, fashion and armor and the player can choose which they want to show. The fashion tab concept could be used to have a second tab to hold a set of gear that is used for appearance only, and the player can then choose to show either the actual gear equipped or the vanity gear to show.

The dye concept simplifies crafting of moddable gear for appearance purposes at the added expense of ensuring armor skins work with a dye system properly and look good/decent at the same time while the vanity tab to hold gear just for looks purposes simplifies the need for having orange craftable gear that matches all options of non-moddable gear while, in my honest opinion, being superior to a transmogrify system at the expense of coding a second gear tab just for looks.

Taken from today's Q&A:

Emannuel Lusinchi (Technical Design Director): Yes, for Game Update 1.2, this is correct. Crafted gear is, in theory, superior to endgame gear obtained in other ways. However, it is worth pointing out that putting together crit crafted gear, including item modifications, requires more effort, not less. Now, the reason I specifically mention Game Update 1.2 is that we will introduce new mechanics in a future update that, without diminishing the usefulness of crit crafted items, will bring some interesting changes and that’s all I will say about that!

Translation: They will be adding a means to use augments on gear that you want to use them on. This will happen sometime later this year after the big patch in March/April.

I'm pretty sure that, while that should be the end of this thread, there will be those who ignore the Q&A and continue to criticize crits on Orange crafted gear for many months to come.

Wait, so you mean a game that's ~2 months old doesn't have a bajillion different armor models?!?!

Good god the world is ending. :t_rolleyes:

lol yup.

i find that the amount of looks is pretty good considering other crafting systems ive enjoyed in other games. i am always changing my look, im one of those "suit....er whats a non filtered word.....suit collectors, yeah thats a good word.

i have a cargo bay almost full of gear i like the look of and sets i enjoy mixing and matching this is a doll dress up game after all right? <<<<< jest i jest.

ive played mmorpgs that have cosmetic skins for sale for real money via "item shops"

sometimes they came with pretty good stats or buffs. but the problem always was variations i could only stand so many matrix out fits in the one game, was called voyage century, centered around the 16 to late 17 hundreds and they put Neo and whats his girlfriends name ... oh gawd i cant think h/o..... TRINITY whew i almost went to imdb

neo and trinity skins in a sailing pirate fantasy mythological setting...SIGH also to craft high level armor sets and weapons in that game took weeks and sometimes months of multi alt grinding for the mats and special items and even then you would need to BUY items to complete the craft and then you MIGHT STILL FAIL! thats right after 2 months of 10 toons slaving away cutting trees fishing and mining AND cash layout you might fail the craft....... so please saying the crafting system in this game needs a total reworking is silly.

in this game you not only get a success each craft you get a chance at great or super craft...then you can reverse it and have a chance for a whole crap ton of paths and schematics........ tailor your crafting for any class or spec... i think people miss the big picture looking at the tiny world in front of them.....

you honestly think they will not add tons upon tons of stuff for us to craft? i know for a fact they have a crap load of stuff they want to put into the game at launch but didnt for one reason or another. but final thought.... theres a lot of variety available, player personal preferences aside, (i mean if you want to look a certain way all the time....)

i really do think they reused too many skins, hutt world clothes and alderaan clothes do look different but the dropped stuff just has different colors, thats sill a balmorean imperial suit should look like a dromund kaas imperial suit with subtle diffs.

but a tat pair of boots that drops from a sand person shouldnt look like a pair of boots that drops from a exchange thug on nar shaddaa, planet specific designs and imperial or republic military designs should have vastly different skins.

watch the phantom menace, do the corusant people wear the same stuff as they do on tat? or naboo? NO ok ok watch starwars...the cantina or the remastered mos esly scenes do they wear the same stuff as the imps do on the death star? no but they do in this game.....

thats my biggest gripe, not enough planetary or native garb, surely on hoth i dont need to buy a same look and same style light robe as i can on taris i should have only cold weather looking gear,,, same for other worlds if anything they need to dedicate a team to just make skins and palettes and to keep it going for ever. am i asking for too much ? prolly its what I would LIKE to see.

i know the imperials and republic panets would do business with the same galatic suppliers but the PLANETARY NATIVE specific garb is what i would ask for. even if its strictly white, and useless in pvp or pve, just available for purchase or craft.

so adding planet specific schmatics would be neat wouldnt it? i would also like to eventually see more modern sets. stormtrooper skin anyone? rebel pilot skins? hoth skins? bespin skins..... just saying thats what i personally would love to see.

but bioware had me at starwars rpg.

Would this happen to be it? http://www.torhead.com/schematic/g1udFdB/agents-jacket

I happen to loot that schematic from underworld trading while reading this thread. Requires lvl 60 armormech to craft.

Nope. It's the same deal with numerous items; the armourmech piece of the same name has a completely different look.

Wait, so you mean a game that's ~2 months old doesn't have a bajillion different armor models?!?!

Good god the world is ending. :t_rolleyes:

I think there's a decent amount. However, not every piece of armour is available as an orange.

Nope. It's the same deal with numerous items; the armourmech piece of the same name has a completely different look.

Can you confirm that the crafted Agent's Jacket orange piece then does look like the black/green body armor with the jetpack? If that's true then cool, I've been looking for an Orange version of the jacket you can only get from Hutta commendations.