Why were so many of us against cross-server queues again, pre-launch?

Ahl-Vinn

Thinking most of us had the mentality the servers would each host larger populations; yours truly posted a couple of times against the notion of cross-server queues, pre-launch. Now, though, pre-mades typically OWN non-ranked PvP matches - except, thankfully, the occasional Huttball match. "Ranked" would hold a lot more meaning and value if you didn't HAVE to play on the same server as eachother.

meh. i would rather BW spends their time working on things that everyone will actually use. xserver is a waste of time and only will be used by the tiny group of people who actually want real competition in rateds. thats a very very small number of people... maybe 1 or 2 teams per server. the rest will be spending most of their time in normal WZs just as they do now. or they will spend their time in rateds vs teams of alts from their sister guilds, just as they do now.

meh. i would rather BW spends their time working on things that everyone will actually use. xserver is a waste of time and only will be used by the tiny group of people who actually want real competition in rateds. thats a very very small number of people... maybe 1 or 2 teams per server. the rest will be spending most of their time in normal WZs just as they do now. or they will spend their time in rateds vs teams of alts from their sister guilds, just as they do now.

Cross server combined with matchmaking would solve a lot of problems in 50 PVP imo, and if they can implement it for ranked, they can implement it for everyone.

So you don't want competitive PvP? You're bad.

Thinking most of us had the mentality the servers would each host larger populations; yours truly posted a couple of times against the notion of cross-server queues, pre-launch. Now, though, pre-mades typically OWN non-ranked PvP matches - except, thankfully, the occasional Huttball match. "Ranked" would hold a lot more meaning and value if you didn't HAVE to play on the same server as eachother.

I don't remember people being against x-server for pvp, only just for pve (and rightly so because of ninja looting). But regardless, we need it badly now.

Edited by Smashbrother

I tried World of Warcraft recently. I got a toon up to level 90 and I tried PvP, battlegrounds specifically since I needed to gear up. Anyone who thinks that cross-servers are a good idea, go play WoW. It's worth the money, because it will give you a new perspective.

I guess you could argue that the main issue with no cross-servers is premades. For someone who plays solo, it sucks to fight the same guilds over and over, when they have the clear advantage of voice chat. On that point, I agree. A few months ago I could play rather casually and without voice chat at any hour of the day.

However, I would never choose cross-servers over no cross-servers. The absence of cross-servers promotes communication and friendship/rivalries like nothing else. I dare say that the main reason I keep playing so many Warzones each and every day is because I know who's on the opposite faction and I want to beat them.

If we got cross-servers, I probably wouldn't give two *****s about who's in the opposite team. All of a sudden, Warzones would become a means to an end, and that is gearing up for Rated Warzones. And the only reason I'd do rated warzones is to fill up some e-peen ranking on a piece of paper. I don't see the appeal of that, at all. Not in comparison to what we have now.

I want to fight people that matter to me. This is an MMORPG. Everything should be about the community.

Edited by Majspuffen

honestly I like the rivalries and friendships I've made through pvp due to the whole no cross server queues. I'm still for it, it builds a sense of community that I never experienced in wow.

wow has a huge sens eof comunity even with cross servers at least for the Hardcore pvp crowd...everyone knwos eachother..even form diferent servers...Obviously in rated pvp, not tlalking about randomm unrated stuff...

Under *current* mechanics this makes sense; if you didn't HAVE to have a full team of 8 to compete in Ranked WZ's, then yours truly forsees far-greater possiblities.

I tried World of Warcraft recently. I got a toon up to level 90 and I tried PvP, battlegrounds specifically since I needed to gear up. Anyone who thinks that cross-servers are a good idea, go play WoW. It's worth the money, because it will give you a new perspective.

I guess you could argue that the main issue with no cross-servers is premades. For someone who plays solo, it sucks to fight the same guilds over and over, when they have the clear advantage of voice chat. On that point, I agree. A few months ago I could play rather casually and without voice chat at any hour of the day.

However, I would never choose cross-servers over no cross-servers. The absence of cross-servers promotes communication and friendship/rivalries like nothing else. I dare say that the main reason I keep playing so many Warzones each and every day is because I know who's on the opposite faction and I want to beat them.

If we got cross-servers, I probably wouldn't give two *****s about who's in the opposite team. All of a sudden, Warzones would become a means to an end, and that is gearing up for Rated Warzones. And the only reason I'd do rated warzones is to fill up some e-peen ranking on a piece of paper. I don't see the appeal of that, at all. Not in comparison to what we have now.

I want to fight people that matter to me. This is an MMORPG. Everything should be about the community.

Oh, I can dig on the community arguement; This was the reason yours truly posted against cross-server queues, pre-launch.

However, solo'ing isn't really the territory of Ranked WZ's - but also, the neccesity of 8-man groups is a bit much; Mechanics that allowed 2 or 4-man teams to be grouped together would work much better! A tank-and-healer duo can do *so* much. On our great Server Begeren Colony, the #1 PvP group is called <Grim Determination> - and the reason they are #1? I've identified their main strength to be the fact that they use the U.S. Army's system of "battle-buddies"; They never fight alone, but rather, in pairs.

There's so much possibility yet to be incorporated to Ranked WZ's in SWTOR. Perhaps it's been conceived of by the devs, but unless they are playing alongside us incognito, this kind of possibility has to be voiced by us whom live the WZ's day-by-day. By allowing 2, 4, and 6-man teams (not to exclude 8-man) in Ranked WZ's, cross-server queue'ing might not even be neccessary.... But it'd be a nice-touch, even if cross-server PvE still wasn't in the picture; Yours truly keeps up with *both* PvP and PvE, and has never had an issue with queue'ing for PvE.

Who says the PvP community HAS to be same-server? PvP's a contest of eachothers' strengths against the strengths of others; This is a scale that can be applied to the GAME-community, and perhaps should not be a measure kept solely to one's own server.

I just can't say the same for PvE!

To bad the Devs saw it your way too, it cost them tons of money...you've only lost face due to writing such crap..."people that matter to me" lol, then go fight family or have guild fights.

Cross server would allow for better match making in rated and regulars, and if you haven't noticed a lot of people want a better match making system. And btw about 50% of players PvP so please refrain from "tiny" statements.

It was not us. It was BW that wanted to have some sence of community by making us face the same people over and over with the same result over and over.

I'm pretty sure I remember you posting back during the beta, so I can't believe you don't remember the threads about this back then. Much like the open space, sandbox, dual spec, dungeon finder, loot rules threads it was one that constantly filled up and was restarted all the time. It was most definitely us, if we had had some sort of consensus from the beginning I'm sure BW would have changed their position.

I'm still really not sure what the con cross server people, devs or players, were thinking. But in the end server emptying and then repeated mergers killed community far faster than any cross server queue would have. And now that f2p is here, "community" will come to mean cliques and elitists.

yeah, at launch the populations were enough to sustain one-server-only PvP. with the massive decline in population, cross-server would be nice to create some variety in the Ranked bracket.

we wont get cross server pvp tho. the difficulty in coding it in post-launch is way too high for bioware to handle

yeah, at launch the populations were enough to sustain one-server-only PvP. with the massive decline in population, cross-server would be nice to create some variety in the Ranked bracket.

we wont get cross server pvp tho. the difficulty in coding it in post-launch is way too high for bioware to handle

Very true, they should of at least put the back bone code in for later development. It would have been needed it at some point either way. Very poor judgement on BW's behalf.

The objections revolved around sense of community and being able to police bad behavior by randoms. Those objections vanish in ranked if ranked teams are restricted to 8 man premades. Even for normal wz these objections can still be surmounted however. Simply restrict team formation to be of players from the same server.

In reality I don't think BW view the "community" aspect as a hurdle to x-server anymore. Now they are simply stumped by the technical problems arising from the Hero engine.

The objections revolved around sense of community and being able to police bad behavior by randoms. Those objections vanish in ranked if ranked teams are restricted to 8 man premades. Even for normal wz these objections can still be surmounted however. Simply restrict team formation to be of players from the same server.

In reality I don't think BW view the "community" aspect as a hurdle to x-server anymore. Now they are simply stumped by the technical problems arising from the Hero engine.

This is a strong possibility.

On the other hand, PvP is 1 of the end-game areas; it'd be worth to put some people on some coding for an additional amount of time to effect such a change.