What game are you playing? (Since SWTOR is at zero HP)

Wimbleton

Nothing. GW, WOW, Rift and any other games i have seem to bore me after a few moments.

Unless something comes out that really grabs my attention i don't see myself doing much gaming in the near future.

Anyone got any games they are playing right now that have good PvP?

Besides WoW, because f WoW.

Waiting for Camelot Unchained but my crystal ball says it won’t get here soon enough.

Have you tried Guild Wars 2

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Here are a few of the MMOs I've played that were already mentioned, and my personal opinions about each:

EVE Online

This space MMO is 80% PvP, 20% PvE. It's completely player driven, so if you intend to get serious about it, you'll need to find a good Corporation to join. It will also take you years to get involved with end-game PvP (bigger ships, starbases, LowSec operations). I played this game for 3 years and had only mastered up to Battleships.

Pros: Chat moderation in public channels to keep trolls out. Steep learning curve and high time-investment which tends to keep the kids away. You can use in-game currency (ISK) to pay for your subscription. Skill learning can be done while you're offline. Background music and ship animations are very cool.

Cons: The consequences for mistakes or trying to play solo are brutal. Losing a ship can cost you billions of ISK. Space navigation can be inordinately perilous (e.g. gate campers in HighSec). It's extremely difficult to compete with larger, more organized and established Corporations (i.e. Corps that have capital ships) when you're first starting out. Trade hubs and large scale fleet battles get very laggy.

RIFT

This fantasy MMO is 60% PvE, 40% PvP. The three faction system keeps things interesting and relatively balanced. There is TONS to do on both sides of the game, but the world PvP is perhaps the most fun.

Pros: Cross-server matchmaking that is also tier based, so when you're first starting out in T1 gear, you only get queued against other players in T1 gear. World PvP can be a BLAST when there's good participation. Beautiful scenery. Cool events and extras, such as player housing.

Cons: World PvP can become extremely one-sided if there's poor participation from all factions. Class balance is an absolute train wreck. Class specs are very confusing, and the meta is more based on balance failures than actual trinity standards. (Sound familiar?) There is an inordinate amount of griefing in world PvP where gear tiers are not matched.

Star Trek Online

This well known space-opera MMO exists on both PC and console. It features events that occur after the Star Trek series/movies timelines (Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Next Generation). It's 90% PvE, 10% PvP.

Pros: Ship battles are a thing of absolute beauty. It's relatively easy to get started and level up, whether you want to play solo or join an Armada (their equivalent of a guild). There are some very cool story arcs, some of which include actual characters (some voiced by the original actors) from the series/movies. The Iconian War was easily my favorite, the story of which could make an amazing movie.

Cons: If you want to see any T6 (Tier 6) ships in your lifetime, you'll have to open your wallet/purse to purchase them. The game therefore has some P2W elements to it, though it's not as obvious because T6 ships aren't really necessary unless you're doing end-game activities. PvP is more of an after-thought in this game than a real feature. So if it's PvP you crave, this is not a game that will satisfy that. The end-game meta is very counter-intuitive, and difficult to determine. Ground combat is clunky, and very poorly animated.

Hope you find this helpful.

Here are a few of the MMOs I've played that were already mentioned, and my personal opinions about each:

EVE Online

This space MMO is 80% PvP, 20% PvE. It's completely player driven, so if you intend to get serious about it, you'll need to find a good Corporation to join. It will also take you years to get involved with end-game PvP (bigger ships, starbases, LowSec operations). I played this game for 3 years and had only mastered up to Battleships.

Pros: Chat moderation in public channels to keep trolls out. Steep learning curve and high time-investment which tends to keep the kids away. You can use in-game currency (ISK) to pay for your subscription. Skill learning can be done while you're offline. Background music and ship animations are very cool.

Cons: The consequences for mistakes or trying to play solo are brutal. Losing a ship can cost you billions of ISK. Space navigation can be inordinately perilous (e.g. gate campers in HighSec). It's extremely difficult to compete with larger, more organized and established Corporations (i.e. Corps that have capital ships) when you're first starting out. Trade hubs and large scale fleet battles get very laggy.

RIFT

This fantasy MMO is 60% PvE, 40% PvP. The three faction system keeps things interesting and relatively balanced. There is TONS to do on both sides of the game, but the world PvP is perhaps the most fun.

Pros: Cross-server matchmaking that is also tier based, so when you're first starting out in T1 gear, you only get queued against other players in T1 gear. World PvP can be a BLAST when there's good participation. Beautiful scenery. Cool events and extras, such as player housing.

Cons: World PvP can become extremely one-sided if there's poor participation from all factions. Class balance is an absolute train wreck. Class specs are very confusing, and the meta is more based on balance failures than actual trinity standards. (Sound familiar?) There is an inordinate amount of griefing in world PvP where gear tiers are not matched.

Star Trek Online

This well known space-opera MMO exists on both PC and console. It features events that occur after the Star Trek series/movies timelines (Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Next Generation). It's 90% PvE, 10% PvP.

Pros: Ship battles are a thing of absolute beauty. It's relatively easy to get started and level up, whether you want to play solo or join an Armada (their equivalent of a guild). There are some very cool story arcs, some of which include actual characters (some voiced by the original actors) from the series/movies. The Iconian War was easily my favorite, the story of which could make an amazing movie.

Cons: If you want to see any T6 (Tier 6) ships in your lifetime, you'll have to open your wallet/purse to purchase them. The game therefore has some P2W elements to it, though it's not as obvious because T6 ships aren't really necessary unless you're doing end-game activities. PvP is more of an after-thought in this game than a real feature. So if it's PvP you crave, this is not a game that will satisfy that. The end-game meta is very counter-intuitive, and difficult to determine. Ground combat is clunky, and very poorly animated.

Hope you find this helpful.

Nice write-up!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate MMO's, so when I'm not playing this, other stuff I've gone through recently include Xenoblade Chronicles, Breath of the WIld, and Witcher 3, all 3 games I'd give the highest of praise to. Considering going back to play the DLC for Dark Souls 3 and Breath of the Wild.

This game is trash, and I only come back to it for friends and the Star Wars IP, which is being held hostage by EA.

I'm almost over all MMO's. But Eve is great. But the description is right.. it has a learning curve, but the dev's have gone a long way to hold your hand, in the beginning. But to really experience the game, you must join a corp (guild). It doesn't have to be a large one, since almost all the guilds are part of alliances.

The politics of Eve (yes there are politics) can make for some stunning battles. I have a mining ship.. I just enjoy hunting ore. Do belong to a corp.. a small one. But with the alliances, I know where I can go to mine.

If you have a high-end rig, the graphics are stunning. And the music is fun too. Oh, and there is now lots of pve content.. where you are (reasonably) safe from getting ganked.

Also still playing single player games. Skyrim is still on my hard drive. Tons of mods - big wonderful story mods and new areas have been released in the last year.

PS: Just to add about Eve.. logged tonight after about a year. Damn, I knew I should kept up the training. My Corp got absorbed by a much bigger one. But that's cool. If you do play, tip: do not set a course (a long trip) though multiple jumps and leave your PC to go get a bite to eat. Came back and was debris. But the guy who murdered me left me a nice note reminding me not to leave my game unattended (guess he noticed me floating around the last jump gate). And he sent me isk (creds) to buy a new ship. How nice of him. Murder me and then pay me. Guess he felt sorry for the poor miner. :)

Edited by cagthehack

Warhammer online (single private server - Age of Reckoning).

I have wow account that was inactive for some time can always go back to it. But every time i go back to wow i regret it, i spent way too much time playing wow.

I tried Elite: Dangerous for a while. I only got far enough into it to start doing PvE missions and try to build up a bit of cash. I really liked what I saw, but then the game started booting me out of their servers over and over and OVER. Their tech support was pretty good helping me diagnose. But it just turned out that they use some network protocols that my internet connection mechanism doesn't agree with. Had to abandon the game. Luckily was able to get my money back from Steam.

Anyone got any games they are playing right now that have good PvP?

Besides WoW, because f WoW.

Waiting for Camelot Unchained but my crystal ball says it won’t get here soon enough.

WoW. Best game ever. Waiting for new expansion to launch then i am there, again. Just tooked few months brake to recharge my bateries. SWTOR is unborn child compared to WoW, no matter what. Then is GW2, Warframe, ESO, Overwatch as good games too.

Eve. I've played that game off and on since 2006. Yeah, there's a large learning curve and real-time skill training will slow down your advancement, but there is simply no other game like it. The graphics are gorgeous IMO. The universe is absolutely massive. The realistic economy can actually teach you things about real world economics. You can actually go after that stupid smack-talker and make him bleed.

Eve is a pvp game in every way, shape, and form. You are competing with other players for money and resources. You can get blown up anywhere, even in the high security "safe" space. There's no such thing as being too paranoid.

Regarding skill training: you can actually buy "skill injectors" now. So if you come into the game, focus on making isk (and get good at doing that ), you'll be able to buy your way to a highly skilled character. You can also flat out purchase an existing highly skilled character from somebody else for isk.

I have three active Eve accounts right now, re-subbed this game again a few days ago for some stupid reason - one match with Vengeance and one with AP PT is all I could stomach. Already regretting coming back here. Yeah, Fury Mara has been my thing, but I got pretty bored of that by playing it way too much.

Edited by teclado

Eve. I've played that game off and on since 2006. Yeah, there's a large learning curve and real-time skill training will slow down your advancement, but there is simply no other game like it. The graphics are gorgeous IMO. The universe is absolutely massive. The realistic economy can actually teach you things about real world economics. You can actually go after that stupid smack-talker and make him bleed.

Eve is a pvp game in every way, shape, and form. You are competing with other players for money and resources. You can get blown up anywhere, even in the high security "safe" space. There's no such thing as being too paranoid.

Regarding skill training: you can actually buy "skill injectors" now. So if you come into the game, focus on making isk (and get good at doing that ), you'll be able to buy your way to a highly skilled character. You can also flat out purchase an existing highly skilled character from somebody else for isk.

I have three active Eve accounts right now, re-subbed this game again a few days ago for some stupid reason - one match with Vengeance and one with AP PT is all I could stomach. Already regretting coming back here. Yeah, Fury Mara has been my thing, but I got pretty bored of that by playing it way too much.

Yeah I logged last night after a year. And damn if I didn't miss Eve. I always thought Eve's PVP was more "adult".. if you know what I mean. I think it's because PVP is there all the time. As you said, even is Highsec space (though that is rare). So I'm always bitting my nails expecting to me robbed, or murdered (or both).. even in safe space.

Eve is unique in that regard. If you enjoy PVP, try Eve. You can go for free. and learn the game. Then decide.

By the way, isk can also be purchased if you have RL cash to burn. It's tolerated and there's actually a market (with a damn index) for it. You also buy PLEX (you can buy it from the official store), which can be sold to other players for isk. It gives them game time and other ****. It's similar to WOW's token exchange.

Since I decided to head back to Eve for a bit, figured I'd post this here for anyone thinking about Eve.

Part of the Golden Rules when playing Eve:

Be able to afford a loss

Never fly something (or with something in the cargo) you can’t afford to lose. Yes, not even in highsec. Meaning that you should not fly a ship you cannot afford to replace and refit.

Consent to PvP

You consent to PvP when you click “undock”.

You are not safe in 1.0 security space. CONCORD is there to punish, not to protect. Get used to the idea.

In most cases, the only way to be 100% safe from aggression inside the game is to be docked in a station. Being cloaked in a secret safespot could work too.

Everyone can scam - and so can you

People offering free stuff? Probably traps. Be cautious.

Free stuff usually isn’t. Not even minerals you mine yourself.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Paranoia pays off here. Double-check everything.

Scamming and unethical behavior some would consider griefing is not only allowed, it is encouraged and rewarded by the game mechanics.

Unfair circumstances?

There is no such thing as “a fair fight” or “an unfair fight”. There’s only a fight. Circumstances are irrelevant.

Just because you can fly something doesn’t mean you should.

You will lose stuff, don’t worry!

If you PvP long enough, you will lose your ship. It’s only a matter of where and when.

.Somebody, somewhere has better skills than you, more experience than you, is smarter than you, has more friends than you and can stay online longer than you. Just pray he’s not out to get you.

If you lose stuff, it’s almost always your fault. Really, only yours.

Now you know what Eve is all about.

Edited by cagthehack

Since I decided to head back to Eve for a bit, figured I'd post this here for anyone thinking about Eve.

(cut very nice description) .

I tried EVE quite a while ago. I think they were doing a free week, or maybe month at the time. It was both very cool (at the start), and started to feel like working a spreadsheet (after a while). And yeah, from what I read in the guides, there was definitely that whole "be prepared to replace your ship at the drop of a hat" thing going. I was to chicken to go anywhere remotely dangerous. :D I felt like I would have to basically have a "day job" in EVE doing boring stuff that would make credits, to be able to afford to "play" EVE. :(

I tried EVE quite a while ago. I think they were doing a free week, or maybe month at the time. It was both very cool (at the start), and started to feel like working a spreadsheet (after a while). And yeah, from what I read in the guides, there was definitely that whole "be prepared to replace your ship at the drop of a hat" thing going. I was to chicken to go anywhere remotely dangerous. :D I felt like I would have to basically have a "day job" in EVE doing boring stuff that would make credits, to be able to afford to "play" EVE. :(

Yeah I get that. Although now, for newbies the game does much to hold your hand. You get isk and ships from just running missions. And most of them are in highsec space. Sure, you can still get killed, but anyone killing you in highsec space will die too; it's called suicide ganking. I don't get it.. but it's some kind of bragging bs for the a-holes in the game. It doesn't happens that often. Thankfully. And I do see corps patrolling certain sectors. Join their corp, or make a deal for passage and mine your heart out. Many corps will take a present age of what you haul, for payment. But that's life.

Like I and others have said, there is a learning curve. Most never get past it. And I get that.

As for dangerous space (lowsec)... join a corp and don't go alone. If you must go in alone, be quick - do the job and get out. And watch your back at all times.

The good thing, once you level (if you can call it that) you'll be the one in lowsec space

Edited by cagthehack

@ Banderal

Yeah, there's a reason why Eve is commonly referred to as "spreadsheets online." I think that pretty cool, but I'm kind of a number nerd. I tend to like that sort of thing. Once you figure out how to make isk, it's really not so bad. Definitely not an instant gratification game, though.

I tried to go all in with Eve again. Three accounts, null sec alliance, even almost got a supercarrier. But ultimately I realized that I'm just far too casual of a gamer now at 30+. I don't have the time or the desire to really sink into it like I did in my early 20s. So I'm dropping to one account, running L4 missions with one of every marauder (because I can), and making an occasional venture into null for some solo pvp. I have around 40b isk, so money is not really a problem for what I want to do.