Ranged vs Melee score: 10 to 0

DPS (both single and AoE): Ranged

Fire While Moving: Ranged (Commando FTW can fire main damage shot on the move vs. Ravage)

Rotation easiness: Ranged

Rotation continuity: Ranged

Range: Ranged (yeah, lol, it's one on it's own)

Damage less taken by: Ranged

Less Stuns/Hold/Roots: Ranged

Less interrupts: Ranged

Area /ease of movement: Ranged

New Ops: Ranged (Ranged can stay many times CiH while melee moves so much that it can't DPs even half the time).

Lets see a quick boss list:

Sparky (HM): mobile boss, melee must chase around the boss a lot while ranged just stay CiH.

Bulo: AoEs keep melee out of range, from lifters as well, cleave hard to avoid as MDPs. On HM, Unstable Carts will stop MDPs from DPsing or kill'em if they don't.

Torque: AoE does massive DMG to MDPs. Ranged stay CiH.

Master and Blaster: MDPs mine problem.

Coratani: a lot of movement and DMG avoidance. Great loss of the possible DPs for MDPs, even worse toward the end. Mouse boom - massive MDPs DMG. Bird chase fail.

Malaphar: on spear phase, RDPs can DPs, MDPs can't. Out-of-circle adds will reduce MDPs DMG.

Sword Squadron: many GND AoEs that require evade. Super-DMG otherwise. MDPs can't fast SW between walkers and adds. Then theres the bomb. Then tehre's Grav-bomb, which requires spreadout.

The Underlurker: Ranged can attk from behind rocks while MDPs can't (also during Rage Storm). R can stack on Healers when adds spawn (while adds actually got extra melee hits). Melee are forced to attack the trash.

Revanite Commanders: Curse AOE only stops MDPs from DMG. Adds that place AoE on boss will also affet M not R.

Revan: Sabers: R get a position and stay CiH, melee must roam around. Sabers force the group spread to bypass AoE. Again R can DPS at HK bomb phase, M can't.

Colossal: MDPs have nowhere to run to avoid white circles. if you add some orange ones on top: wipe.

So do you agree with the score or there's anything to be added ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DPS (both single and AoE): Ranged

Fire While Moving: Ranged (Commando FTW can fire main damage shot on the move vs. Ravage)

Rotation easiness: Ranged

Rotation continuity: Ranged

Range: Ranged (yeah, lol, it's one on it's own)

Damage less taken by: Ranged

Less Stuns/Hold/Roots: Ranged

Less interrupts: Ranged

Area /ease of movement: Ranged

New Ops: Ranged (Ranged can stay many times CiH while melee moves so much that it can't DPs even half the time).

Sparky (HM): mobile boss, melee must chase around the boss a lot while ranged just stay CiH.

Bulo: AoEs keep melee out of range, from lifters as well, cleave hard to avoid as MDPs. On HM, Unstable Carts will stop MDPs from DPsing or kill'em if they don't.

Coratani: a lot of movement and DMG avoidance. Great loss of the possible DPs for MDPs, even worse toward the end. Mouse boom - massive MDPs DMG. Bird chase fail.

Malaphar: on spear phase, RDPs can DPs, MDPs can't. Out-of-circle adds will reduce MDPs DMG.

Sword Squadron: many GND AoEs that require evade. Super-DMG otherwise. MDPs can't fast SW between walkers and adds. Then theres the bomb. Then tehre's Grav-bomb, which requires spreadout.

The Underlurker: Ranged can attk from behind rocks while MDPs can't (also during Rage Storm). R can stack on Healers when adds spawn (while adds actually got extra melee hits). Melee are forced to attack the trash.

Revanite Commanders: Curse AOE only stops MDPs from DMG. Adds that place AoE on boss will also affet M not R.

Revan: Sabers: R get a position and stay CiH, melee must roam around. Sabers force the group spread to bypass AoE. Again R can DPS at HK bomb phase, M can't.

Colossal: MDPs have nowhere to run to avoid white circles. if you add some orange ones on top: wipe.

Here's what usually happens:

Sparky: MDPS tunnels boss, no problems with MDPS

Bulo: Damage is pathetic now, you could have 4 MDPS constantly tunneling the boss and eating all the AoEs and it would still be a joke

Torque: Yes this fight is painful as a melee DPS, but when they fix the fire animation disappearing after 3 seconds it will be fine

Master Blaster: You can actually position 3 MDPS in such a way there is only very minor movement in the first half of the fight (and only for one of them, the other 2 can stand completely still and be perfectly fine), and even less in the second half

Corratani: That fight is a ***** in general so...

Malaphar: If you're complaining about difficulty in this fight, you need to go play an easier game. Like Minesweeper.

Sword Squadron: Damage nerfs means that MDPS have it easy here

Underlurker: While the slow is a *****, all the MDPS classes have a way to overcome it. And not only that, but some of the MDPS classes can get buffed by it. Plus the non-slinger RDPS classes have to deal with pushback here.

Revanite Commanders: The room is small anyway so...

Revan: The raid plays like everyone is melee anyway. HK Bomb phase, you can't hit HK unless you're in the shield, and if you're in the shield you're in melee range

Edited by TACeMossie

Pretty much everything you listed can be solved by proper tanking. Just sayin'

You mean by running with the boss after ranged ?

lol

I'd like to see tanks doing that.

Nothing can prevent the need of MDPs to get out of various DMG circles and not DPs during that.

Proper fix to start with is Melee DMG boost in all OPS/FPs by 15+%.

Edited by Overmind

I main melee DPS for HM ops and I honestly don't understand why people think ranged utterly destroy melee. I fully agree with Kwerty's assessment, though I personally have never pulled HM Coratanni and HM Revan. People seem to forget that ranged can be very prone to issues like pushback and DPS loss from incomplete channels or casts. Melee DPS are actually far more mobile than almost every ranged spec, with some exceptions. Obviously, mobility does not always equate to boss uptime, though I find that for many specs you can achieve near 100% uptime on most bosses by sheer encounter knowledge. I do agree melee is a bit more challenging on Torque in particular.

I'd be very interested in hearing someone who is of the opinion that these ops are significantly worse for melee than range explain which mechanics on X boss considerably reduce boss uptime or cause melee to take far more damage than range. Many of your examples do not necessarily reduce melee uptime, as Kwerty pointed out. Remember, DPS numbers are misleading because as it stands ranged specs like IO and Virulence simply do more damage than most melee specs because of current class balance. I agree that there are some things which could change as far as class balance, but that is ultimately independent of operations favoring ranged over melee.

Edited by Arkhonos

Revan: The raid plays like everyone is melee anyway. HK Bomb phase, you can't hit HK unless you're in the shield, and if you're in the shield you're in melee range

I was referring to the HK's bomb throw that requires all to spread out to avoid stacking damage.

R can still DPS, M will have to stop to avoid DMG 2 each other and the tanks.

I put up the issues very briefly, but each can be detailed.

Personal example:

HM Torque as Marauder

- Constant DMG from multiple sources

- Slalom run thru fire devices, AoEs and jump-off laser paths

- Used very precise DCDs due to getting cornered by Lasers, Turrets

- Dodged fire and/or used DCDs in it

- Randomly stunned

- Not able to use more than a burst attack (not even 1 compelete rotation...that or fired; usually 3 hits or 1 rav and then out of range - jump back ?: fired.)

- Could not attack boss sometimes because he was in the middle of fires / FDs

HM Torque as BH:

- Stood back with a beer-in-hand, shot at boss and things that spawned around while listening to propaganda news. At a point I actually had to click a panel. Done. Minimal movement, self-healing.

Thats probably why any LFG in general chat is followed by R when it comes to DPS.

Edited by Overmind

Alright, you asked for it

If Sparky moves more than a meter, the tank solotanking him sucks. Except for rampage. And this occurs only 2 times if your dps know what they are doing. And even during rampage he shouldn't jump to far away to be completely out of melee range.

If there's an AoE on the boss, someone screwed up. Other than Mass Barage, where everyone has to move and looses dps, theres no reason for mdps to move away from the boss even one inch. If carts, that go for the tank having aggro the moment they spawn, explode anywhere near a melee, your tanks suck. They can back of when they spawn.

I'll give you this one.

Like Kwerty said, there are 3 spots for melee where they basically don't have to move the whole fight.

Again, as said, simply a pain in the a*s for everybody. But try getting hit by two mouse droids as a sage. You won't be complaining about it again as melee ;)

Why can't mdps dps in the "spear phase"? And why should they, to begin with? Draw the adds to the boss and aoe them down. Simply get rid of the spear circle somewhere it doesn't annoy anybody.

And even if you tank the adds outside of the circle, you can tank them exactly on the line so you're in melee range of both the adds and the boss when you're standing in between. Again, it's solvable by proper tanking.

The ONLY situation, where a melee can't stay on target is if you're having two mdps on the same boss and one gets the white circle. Then one of them has to move. Other than that, there's no excuse to loose dps because you have to move out of stupid.

Yeah, the melee attack sucks. Other than that, it's a non issue.

DFA from Mando Adds isn't that big that you have to stop dpsing while running out of it. Kurse's Soaring Smash can be handled by the tank so that you are still in melee range and still don't get hit by it. AoE from outlaws should NEVER face the direction of the group anyway.

Not far enough into this fight on HM. But as Kwerty said: On HK you have to be under the shield, in melee range, either way.

Did this boss 4 times now, 2 on 16m SM, 2 on 8m HM and never had a problem on my Guardian dps. Simply follow the tank when the white circles spawn and you'll be in melee range of the boss the whole time.

Not really. Don't get me wrong, melee have it harder most of the time. But it isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

I was referring to the HK's bomb throw that requires all to spread out to avoid stacking damage.

R can still DPS, M will have to stop to avoid DMG 2 each other and the tanks..

... how can range still dps? If anything MELEE can keep dpsing because healers/ranged have to go out of the shield and u can have melee/tanks inside

Alright, you asked for it

NP, Marauders can take it :D

If Sparky moves more than a meter, the tank solotanking him sucks. Except for rampage. And this occurs only 2 times if your dps know what they are doing. And even during rampage he shouldn't jump to far away to be completely out of melee range.

If there's an AoE on the boss, someone screwed up. Other than Mass Barage, where everyone has to move and looses dps, theres no reason for mdps to move away from the boss even one inch. If carts, that go for the tank having aggro the moment they spawn, explode anywhere near a melee, your tanks suck. They can back of when they spawn.

I'll give you this one.

Like Kwerty said, there are 3 spots for melee where they basically don't have to move the whole fight.

Again, as said, simply a pain in the a*s for everybody. But try getting hit by two mouse droids as a sage. You won't be complaining about it again as melee ;)

Why can't mdps dps in the "spear phase"? And why should they, to begin with? Draw the adds to the boss and aoe them down. Simply get rid of the spear circle somewhere it doesn't annoy anybody.

And even if you tank the adds outside of the circle, you can tank them exactly on the line so you're in melee range of both the adds and the boss when you're standing in between. Again, it's solvable by proper tanking.

The ONLY situation, where a melee can't stay on target is if you're having two mdps on the same boss and one gets the white circle. Then one of them has to move. Other than that, there's no excuse to loose dps because you have to move out of stupid.

Yeah, the melee attack sucks. Other than that, it's a non issue.

DFA from Mando Adds isn't that big that you have to stop dpsing while running out of it. Kurse's Soaring Smash can be handled by the tank so that you are still in melee range and still don't get hit by it. AoE from outlaws should NEVER face the direction of the group anyway.

Not far enough into this fight on HM. But as Kwerty said: On HK you have to be under the shield, in melee range, either way.

Did this boss 4 times now, 2 on 16m SM, 2 on 8m HM and never had a problem on my Guardian dps. Simply follow the tank when the white circles spawn and you'll be in melee range of the boss the whole time.

Not really. Don't get me wrong, melee have it harder most of the time. But it isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

Not every tank is perfect in every ops. But if it's not perfect, it's not OK only for melee to suffer the penalty.

I don't know about 3 spots, but that's probably an exploit-like find, I'm sure it was not intended as so.

How did u get 2 rats on you ? That should be achievement unlock !

As for the shield thing, that M inside from some reason didn't seem to have good result. The result was a wipe, we don't know what exactly caused it yet.

Coloss: if u stay near TNK you may get the debuff and you're...terminated.

... how can range still dps? If anything MELEE can keep dpsing because healers/ranged have to go out of the shield and u can have melee/tanks inside

...did that on HM and wiped.

Edited by Overmind

HM Torque as Marauder

1. Constant DMG from multiple sources

2. Slalom run thru fire devices, AoEs and jump-off laser paths

3. Used very precise DCDs due to getting cornered by Lasers, Turrets

4. Dodged fire and/or used DCDs in it

5. Randomly stunned

6. Not able to use more than a burst attack (not even 1 compelete rotation...that or fired; usually 3 hits or 1 rav and then out of range - jump back ?: fired.)

7. Could not attack boss sometimes because he was in the middle of fires / FDs

Let me start by saying I agree Torque is indeed more challenging than all other HM bosses for melee. I'll go through and offer my opinion on each of your points.

1. This is covered by your other points, but it is not constant if done properly

2. Traversing Fire Devices is rather simple. Your tanks should be placing them so they are not in the middle of the fight area. If they are in the way, that is considered poor tanking and not the melee DPS' fault. Shoots Lasers should be blocked by a tank. Again, tanks not doing this are not tanking the fight well and it is avoidable damage. Shoots Lasers can also target ranged, so they are not immune either.

3. Ranged DPS (especially Sniper and Sorcerer) should use DCDs frequently. As previously stated, they can be hit by Shoots Lasers. As a melee it is possible to avoid getting hit by some of the Deterrent Devices. It falls on both the tanks as well as the melee to position the boss or themselves so it minimizes damage taken from them. While I have never taken less damage on a pull than my ranged counterparts, I have been close enough for it to not matter when I played well.

4. Floor vents can be limited to one tick or even 0 ticks if you recognize when it is about to come and move. 1 tick per Floor Vent cycle is more than ranged will take on average, but it's certainly not the end of the world especially considering how predictable it is.

5. Ranged can be affected by the stun DoT as well.

6. While Marauder (specifically Annihilation spec) is indeed one of the more difficult to play classes this tier of content , it is worth noting that you are still capable of putting up the numbers to beat the boss' enrage. On average, you need between 2500 and 3000 boss DPS per DPS in your group to beat enrage, depending on how much damage your tanks deal. This is very possible if your group assigns you to tunnel the boss, which you should as a Marauder. You can look at Parsely for logs to see how other Marauders are playing the fight if you're struggling.

7. If the boss is in a fire device, that is squarely the tank's fault. A well-tanked Torque fight will never have him sitting in a fire device for an extended period of time. Furthermore, it is possible to DPS Torque while he is in a fire device if you stand at maximum melee range.

I concede to you that melee on Torque definitely requires more mechanical skill as well as knowledge of boss abilities. Having 4 ranged is indeed easier. However, melee is definitely viable for the fight. Many of the things you may feel like are your fault or a weakness of melee DPS is actually very fixable, most probably by cleaner tanking from your group.

NP, Marauders can take it :D

Not every tank is perfect in every ops. But if it's not perfect, it's not OK only for melee to suffer the penalty.

I don't know about 3 spots, but that's probably an exploit-like find, I'm sure it was not intended as so.

How did u get 2 rats on you ? That should be achievement unlock !

As for the shield thing, that M inside from some reason didn't seem to have good result. The result was a wipe, we don't know what exactly caused it yet.

...did that on HM and wiped.

The 3 spots isn't an exploit, because the mine circle is only 5m, so there are 2 Melee spots that you don't have to move, 1 healer spot, and 1 Melee spot with minimal movement.

In Hard mode, 2 mouse droids will always chase you. Its extremely painful without heavy armor or AoE damage reduction, 2 things a sage is lacking.

And Revan HM is gonna wipe you a lot. Maybe you wiped on HM Revan because you screwed up, not just cause you had melee DPS in the circle?

The only point I agree with you on is Torque, OP. Only because of the turrets. However, with proper positioning and really proactive tanking it's still viable for you.

However your point about melee chasing boss still stands. Therefore I firmly believe MDPS should parse higher on a dummy than RDPS, but I'm not sure about 15% higher. I'd agree with like 5%.

All my nopes.

Edited by Jojomagro

For me, that seems to be a learn to play Issue!

We killed 9/10 with two Melees DDs (Marauder and PowerTech). And as i am one of the Healers i can say the only fight where our melees are hard to heal is Torque with stupid invisible Fires since last patch!

Sparky: Melees tunneling the Boss. There is not much movemenet for them if thanks know what they are doing.

Bulo: Position yourself to not get hit by Exonium Carts and not to hurt thanks or other melees with Load Lifter. Simple Raid awareness.... For Mass Barrage just move a bit and use some ranged abilities. Those 2-3 seconds where you may not have anything to deal Damage are not match making...

Torque: Just use your defensive CDs wisely and be aware of fires and move quickly! But yeah since last patch melees may have a hard time here

M&B: Most boring fight for them i think.. just tunnel Blaster and stay as close as you can so the ranges can move for those stupid orange circles. Depending on your strat catch up some of the stacks from Overpowered Ion Cutter..

Coratanni: There is clearly no movement for them except if one of them is a floater for Ricochet shot. Those 5-10m to the console for fire cleansing is not match making. For Death Mouse on Ruugar they have like ranges to use defensives and move away from the tanks... not match making.

Sparky:: DPS... DPS.... DPS.... nothing else to do... those 3-4 seconds downtime you may have if you have the red circle are not match making..

Sword Squadron: At start both melees on unit 1.. on first shield both switch to unit 2...and as of the shield on unit 1 is down one of the melees switch from unit 2 to unit 1... no problem and nearly no DPS loss...

Lurker: Using a defensiv cooldown for every lurkerling phase is not a big requirement... and your healers should be healing the melee-range damage from lurkerlings easily.. also the melees without cap closer have other utilities to quickly get to their add for DPSing..

Revanites: didn't see any issue with melees here as the room is that small..

Revan:Melees an ranges are nearly equal depending on your strat. with correct positioning there is nearly no movement for melees on HK grenade phase. On floor 3 they have a bit more movement to do cause of pull&push but thats it.

Melees are more than viable for every boss in Ravagers and ToS. I mostly play healer but did once ToS 4/5 with my poorly geared PowerTech DD.... its boring as hell to play melee DD..

So if you have to move to much as a melee your strat may be ***** or you simply do it wrong.

Edited by Xzelsius

Xzelsius, try finishing SnV NiM with a full melee team. Then use a ranged-only team. See the difference.

For example, at end boss, theres no way you can stun the 4 ghosts and DPS the main ghost at the same time. Theres no practical way to switch targets in time, while RDPS just tab it.

Also note that in many cases DPS stop is not 2-4 seconds but well above 15, even 30.

Edited by Overmind

Xzelsius, try finishing SnV NiM with a full melee team. Then use a ranged-only team. See the difference.

For example, at end boss, theres no way you can stun the 4 ghosts and DPS the main ghost at the same time. Theres no practical way to switch targets in time, while RDPS just tab it.

Also note that in many cases DPS stop is not 2-4 seconds but well above 15, even 30.

Just wanna say, I've cleared it with a full melee team. Just time your knock backs. Pretty simple. Also SnV NIM=/= relevant at all.

You mean we can dps HK with his reflective shield up? :p

Else ehm. This one will go to the melee since they can stay inside the shield while spreading out enough. Ranged need to stop their dps.

So you are making a case for melee atm.

Impossible . No.

It's just that with the added Mobile attacks to RDPS (TB on the move, sweet autocrit attacks on the move XD) that can make a fight a lot easier.

So Meele doesn't make the fight harder per say rather RDPS makes it so much easier due to more mobile attacks in 3.0 and HO.

Just wanna say, I've cleared it with a full melee team. Just time your knock backs. Pretty simple. Also SnV NIM=/= relevant at all.

How ?

1. We don't have a knockback or a proper stun for Marauders/Sents.

2. F:Choke requires you not to DPS. Grenades don't work anymore (even freeze), roar does not affect ghosts.

So how exactly do you knock them back ?

If you int main ghost, start a F:C on a small one and get back at primary one or more of the small ghosts already is in melee range. At the second stun-able channel everyone's dead.

If you put 2 Hs and 2 Ts on ghosts, I will get nightmare'd and a Mara/Sent can't replace him for ghost halting.

@Overmind

Did you know that there are Healers and Tanks with Knockbacks and Stuns in your team?

Even if all 4 DPS are Marauders/Sents you could have 4 Knockbacks/Stuns due to healers and Tanks.

:confused:

How ?

1. We don't have a knockback or a proper stun for Marauders/Sents.

2. F:Choke requires you not to DPS. Grenades don't work anymore (even freeze), roar does not affect ghosts.

So how exactly do you knock them back ?

If you int main ghost, start a F:C on a small one and get back at primary one or more of the small ghosts already is in melee range. At the second stun-able channel everyone's dead.

If you put 2 Hs and 2 Ts on ghosts, I will get nightmare'd and a Mara/Sent can't replace him for ghost halting.

You also have two tanks and two heals ;)

By now you can just let the adds come close and have a sage/shadow or mando knockback two of them while your dps just burn him down and interrupt.

@Overmind

Did you know that there are Healers and Tanks with Knockbacks and Stuns in your team?

Even if all 4 DPS are Marauders/Sents you could have 4 Knockbacks/Stuns due to healers and Tanks.

:confused:

Did you read the above ? They get teleported to nightmare where they fight the companions. 1 of 4 out is sufficient for wipe in a few seconds.

Did you read the above ? They get teleported to nightmare where they fight the companions. 1 of 4 out is sufficient for wipe in a few seconds.

You don't get teleported into nightmares while the ghost is up. And you should be finished with your companion and back in action when it's about to start anyway. My guardian tank wrecks Doc in 3 gcd's. So where's the problem?

Problem is that players use their time to demand changes instead on working for better tactics. Every boss is doable with a 4 melee setup. Some are a bit harder but still doable. Styrak NM however is not really much harder. Marodeurs stun is not too great thats true, but that does not mean that melees suck at this boss, it just means marodeurs suck at this boss. But there are melees that excel at this bossfight. Juggernauts can force push 1 add two times and for emergencys they have their force choke left. Sins have great stuns, powertech have good stuns. I dont see why you wouldnt want to bring a melee, but i can understand why you dont want more than 1 marodeur. If a marodeur is bad at a boss this doesnt mean all melees are bad. If you are bad at a boss it doesnt mean all melees are bad at this boss. Raiding is about precision and practice. If you can not perfection your movement and you raid is not willing to change tactics according to raidsetup, NM might be not the best choice for you.

@Torvai - Wrong. You get TPed exactly when the ghost thing starts.

@Methoxa - So you admit it's not doable as Marauders ?

And you don't consider this to be a problem ?

I did complete that NiM boss with ease as commando/trooper team, working now on good synchronization with a team of mostly ranged and we have some progress, but it's just impossible to do as Maras.

To the ones that say it's doable, I challenge you to try. Assuming everything else works perfectly, your basic chance of doing it is around 0. This will prove my point just as it did on other occasions.

@Rowdieranger What was in your melee team ?

Edited by Overmind