Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts came up to my mind reading this article (not necessarily coherent)

a) Shouldn't reputation be something associated with real deeds of real significance?

Like completing HM Op's (for the first time) or crafting stuff for the rest of the server...

b) Why can't BW first fix/complete existing content/issues before introducing new (and seemingly useless) stuff?

What about the Legacy? Still no bonuses for reaching LVL50?

c) What's the impact of having the highest reputation despite a useless title?

If it's just a honorary thing, why can't BW just grant it for honorary deeds (like a) ) and not for hours-long brainless grinding...

c) What's the impact of having the highest reputation despite a useless title?

It appears to be an attempt to distract people (from what, I am not sure, slow pace of story development?) by gating some new equipment behind not only a grind, but an artificially paced grind (with a cash option to partially bypass).

Basically 1.7 and the reputation system revolves around the things less played in the game. Interesting idea but not sure if it's going to work as they want. If the only thing you get with the reputation brackets is acess to a vendor then is not going to do well, considering alot of the things will be overpriced, if we consider everything they've done so far (legacy, dailies). It's going to have to be some really sweet stuff for ppl to do it (outside of those that play those parts of the game).

Gree reputation (seems to be linked to pvp, no real information yet).

HM space missions - few ppl play the space mission thingy.

Voss-Ka heroics - it's a way to get ppl back on Voss but how many will do it depend on the items you can get.

Section X - plenty of ppl stopped bothering with this area, black hole area is faster and less annoying.

This is just my opinion of course, but we'll see what happens.

This pretty well sums up my thoughts. Will these new vendors start with some set stock of items and then stagnate, ala VIP/CE/Security key vendors?

Maybe I missed it, but why would we care about this reputation grind? Appears that some gear can be purchased once certain levels? Kinda like the Disco ball with Social X status it appears.

If the items unlocked are awesome then YES! Sign me up. But if they are anything like the commendation gear we can get with commendations or social ranking... well then it sounds half baked to me. :D

I truely hope its not like the way cool LEGACY idea and halfway implemented. Make it MEAN SOMETHING!!! Right now it doesn't sound like it's going to get that many people caring if something tangible is not attached to the reward structure. I point back to my "Legacy" comment on how it was just halfway deployed. Someone else called out the CE Vendor, VIP Vendor and others. Nothing added to those lately, so why would anyone want Reputation if it's the same idea? :D

BW - How about you finish what you started with LEGACY first? That would be more impressive than a whole new grind tree to follow. That was a great idea that just went flat cold and fizzled away w/o any of the "Cool" stuff it was supposed to make possible. If the rewards are worth it, then I'm all for grinding. Right now most those provided to date that are in similar nature are lacking attention and/or value. Is this going to be different?

Edited by dscount

Is this a joke? Another pve update in the already culminating amount of other pve updates?

At first I was excited in that I thought 'reputation' was going to be some pvp open world thing, but reading further to get it, you have to complete heroics and whatnot... What a farce...

If you guys had implemented something Ilum-esque on each planet, and pvp open world kills counted towards reputation, then that would have made sense. Right now it sounds like you're just piling on another useless "reward" system that most pvpers probably won't even bother to do...

this is by far the laziest dirtiest solution & it's so old boring & lacking in imagination.

So business as usual for EA.

I hope we won't see a p2w situation where trophy items and ranks are for sale in the CM......

Well it is EA. I don't think it will happen, but if it does I won't be surprised in the least.

NO CAP. I'm a suscriber. NO CAP. Freedom for the people.

You signed away your freedom when you agreed to the ToS.

1) Reputation is only one of many things coming. Did you forget the level cap increase and the new planet?

2) Why are you assuming that developers do new content OR bug fixes, but not both? They're putting out a patch every couple of weeks, with bug fixes in each one. Do those not count because they're not fixing your pet peeve first?

3) If this content were tied exclusively to PVP, and if you didn't like PVP, would you say that the developers wasted their time and didn't improve the game in any way? There are too many playstyles to say that any new content, no matter how small, is a complete waste of time. There will always be people that are thankful for what comes out. There's no MMO law that says you as a paying customer have to be happy with everything the developers do to the game you play. Let those who like a grind get something new to grind. They pay money just like I do, which only helps keep the game servers running, and those working on the game employed. This content won't hurt anyone that doesn't want to do it, and they've gone out of their way to make sure it's a grind that's as painless as possible by tying it to legacy.

1.) No we haven't forgotten. It's coming soon.

2.) True they are putting in bug fixes every patch. Bug fixes that no one really cares about though.

3.) Yes. You're right there is no defined law against that, but it's in a company's best to keep their paying customers happy. Since when are Section X, Heroic Space Missions, and Voss painless? And please find me someone that will actually say they like doing mindless repeated tasks over again. No, don't worry, I'll wait.

To answer your question, Reputation trophies are a new type of item that we've added to many existing missions to make those missions more rewarding. Unfortunately, because this is a new system, trophies cannot be granted retroactively.

Turbine, a small-time garbage company for the most part, was able to provide retroactive reputation to veteran players when they implemented their Reputation system, but BW can't? Fail.

When LOTRO added rep systems, they retroactively applied rep points for missions completed. It's not impossible just because it's new, looks like they just didn't want to spend the time doing so.

Pretty much. A lack of retroactive reputation granting is very disappointing. I don't PvE much at all anymore and don't plan to do much in the future beyond any new content that comes through. Would be nice to receive some associated Rep for the PvE I did complete.

Mindlessly repeating a small pool of old content is the only way to gain rep? Why? Are people at bioware/ea really sitting around a table thinking this is what players want?

Firstly, the addition of Reputation is simply another grind. There is nothing really interesting about it beyond that fact. So it should come as no surprise that some of the older content is integrated into the activity of building reputation. I think this is actually a good idea.

Some people will really like the Reputation grind for the rewards, especially F2Pers/Preferreds that are just now really getting into the game. Veteran subscribers are pretty much SOL though since they have to start from scratch like everyone else and will receive no credit for what many have already done.

What I personally don't like is that BW seems determined to stick with a Legacy system that is just Server-based and this is very disappointing for me. I really wanted to keep my Imps/Pubs separate for PvP reasons, but managing two 30+ Legacies this way just continues to make less and less sense. Would be nice if BW would offer paid Server Transfers in the near future so I could consolidate my multiple Legacies into one and be done with the headache of managing the two.

Edited by DarthOvertone

Nice update. I'm looking forward to see it live :)

And please don't take my fellow Germans too serious, they are yet again trolling and flaming around in the German discussion... :rolleyes:

Awful. That figures xD

At the end they will accept this nice new features too - as always too xD

This game is getting better and better with every little patch! keep up the good work

Im glad to have a reason to return to Voss (Open PVP? :D) and Im looking forward to the new Events on Ilum (Open PVP? :D). Also I will have an additional reason to do the heroic spacemissions, too. Thats gonna be great! ^^

Edited by DaraniForces

Is this a joke? Another pve update in the already culminating amount of other pve updates?

At first I was excited in that I thought 'reputation' was going to be some pvp open world thing, but reading further to get it, you have to complete heroics and whatnot... What a farce...

If you guys had implemented something Ilum-esque on each planet, and pvp open world kills counted towards reputation, then that would have made sense. Right now it sounds like you're just piling on another useless "reward" system that most pvpers probably won't even bother to do...

Rewards will likely be PvE rewards, so making the content PvP based would be silly.

Then you're not a good reader. BioWare explained Reputation when they announced it. They said, you will gain Reputation points by helping organizations like the Gree and Voss.

As for the thread topic, I'm looking forward to this. Like the new system and legacy titles :D

Rewards will likely be PvE rewards, so making the content PvP based would be silly.

Yes well, as I've said I only realised that it was a pve update after I continued reading it.

Then you're not a good reader. BioWare explained Reputation when they announced it. They said, you will gain Reputation points by helping organizations like the Gree and Voss.

As for the thread topic, I'm looking forward to this. Like the new system and legacy titles :D

That's still very vague. Helping them could have meant a lot of things. However this is the first MMO I've played where they've implemented a reputation system, as other guildies are telling me that this has been done before.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is there actually no new content behind this system except a new shiny reputation tab, trophies and rewards? I mean they ask us to do the same old heroic missions, dailies and space combat. This is pretty meh if you ask me, what they actually do is introducing new rewards for the already existing content and putting all this in a colorful wrapping. The approach which requires minimum effort and resources.

The only thing that might be something new and what i am curious about is Gree event missions and bosses.

Edited by Trollokdamus

It appears to be an attempt to distract people (from what, I am not sure, slow pace of story development?) by gating some new equipment behind not only a grind, but an artificially paced grind (with a cash option to partially bypass).

Pretty much this.

Limiting how fast I can max my toon via game mechanics is so... unprofessional...

Also funny how they put the crap space minigame in all this, hard missions no less - to "force" players to buy the cash shop parts...

Edited by Styxx

This seems... really dumb. I've never enjoyed grinding reputation, and it doesn't even look like you are giving us different content to grind, you are just trying to make us go back and do dated content. Unless the rewards are so amazing you can't live without them this is going to be a huge waste of time that not many people are going to enjoy doing. Hell, even if the rewards are awesome I doubt most people will enjoy getting them.

What is the motivation for doing this new grind?

Its a new system that basically asks us to grind lots of old content. Fine. New titles, OK. But why on earth would the majority of the population actually be interested in this thing? I'm sure you do have some rewards for it but you've not even hinted at what they are!!

It is unbelieveably poor marketing to release a blog like this introducing a new grind without even trying to incentivise the community. Sort it out.

This is exactly what I wanted to discuss earlier today after seeing the blog. More information about these reputation vendors and specifically what they will sell us would have made this 1.7 pitch a lot more meaningful. Ok, so we have a new system called galactic reputation and with it there are new titles... but there still seems to be a lack of incentive as the person I've quoted above has mentioned. Hopefully more details in this regard are revealed sooner rather then later.

The other thing I was going to discuss was where that leaves the other systems already in the game, you know, legacy and guilds? I just hope that any development in these areas are not overshadowed by the cartel market and now the galactic reputation system. From a marketing perspective, I can see why introducing something new rather then improve something old may have appeal. But let's not forget the product we have before us before we blindly jump at these updates.

This seems... really dumb. I've never enjoyed grinding reputation, and it doesn't even look like you are giving us different content to grind, you are just trying to make us go back and do dated content. Unless the rewards are so amazing you can't live without them this is going to be a huge waste of time that not many people are going to enjoy doing. Hell, even if the rewards are awesome I doubt most people will enjoy getting them.

This should be their top concern going forward with 1.7. Rewards must be worth the effort or close enough that players actually do the grind.

Edited by Tordos

(1) Is the Illum event short-term? (I missed the last event because I happened to be busy during those weeks. Unfortunately, I'll be busy again in two weeks when this will drop.)

(2) What's the point of the reputation system? Titles?

If 1/7 is a short-term event and a rep. grind, I may skip it all together.

Edited by MuratReis

Was anyone even asking for this?

for gods sake put some effort into pvp and things that actually matter.

Are you kidding us right now? First off, 1.7 adds a completely revamped Ilum PvP back into the game... so there's your PvP. Secondly, 1.7 adds a brand new monthly World Event with PvE bosses. Finally, 1.7 adds Reputation to the game - that should have been in since the game began, mind you - which gives players something else to grind, aka CONTENT.

Don't be a ******... this is a much needed and wanted update.