Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Little comparison of def-cd's between the classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
A Little comparison of def-cd's between the classes

Hoppinswtor
10.25.2018 , 05:30 AM | #11
Anyone who says Snipers are way too survivable still should try playing a sniper and get yourself into situations where you will be tunneled. Yes, they are still a bit overtuned, but they have the 2nd highest skill cap of any class (besides Operative).
Hoppin, The Cutest Mercenary <Death Smile>
Hoppinator (Merc), Hoppin (Sorc), Hopposites (Mara),
Hoptimal (Sin), Hopalicious (Jugg), Hopperative (Operative), Hoptimize (PT)

WayOfTheWarriorx
10.25.2018 , 09:46 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoppinswtor View Post
Anyone who says Snipers are way too survivable still should try playing a sniper and get yourself into situations where you will be tunneled. Yes, they are still a bit overtuned, but they have the 2nd highest skill cap of any class (besides Operative).
Fair point on the skill cap.

Honestly, if it were just the survivability thing I wouldn't feel they were broken. They simply have way to much control over melee in my opinion coupled with some of the best anti-cc around and a ton of it on their own to throw around. How they fair ranged to ranged may be a whole different ball game, I cannot comment on that.

But, for something that's supposed to be an immobile turret, they sure move around a lot, and get a lot of movement buffs. It's their movement that makes them such a problem for melee. [roll and roots are the order of the day, along with their slows] They can attack melee and melee can't attack them back. There is notable uptime differences, and I would be rather surprised if you yourself didn't acknowledge that, your one of the top 5 best players I have ever seen in 6 and half years. You can do things most other players simply don't have the skill to pull off [no insult to them, nor suggesting they are 'bad']. You make Lightning Sorc the most deadly thing on the battlefield, when your in the same WZ, I know for 100% certainty, the very best I could hope for, is second best [if even that].

I do feel that as a pure DPS class [Snipers] their abilities to heal should be the same as the only other pure DPS class that's a melee. They didn't have them before like they do now. Heals matter in PVP and effect survivability. I've seen snipers heal up to as high as 700k in a WZ [I have screenies], although, admittedly, that's a rarity to see them get that high and in no way, shape or form is that remotely the norm.

But I agree, at least they have a skill set requirement for optimal play and that matters.

Ravaza
10.28.2018 , 10:07 PM | #13
Maras only get 75% damage reduction on obfuscate if they chose that perk in utilities, otherwise it just reduces a targets accuracy by 90%

RACATW
10.28.2018 , 11:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoppinswtor View Post
Honestly I picked up sniper in two days. Obviously didn't master it but I find it fine under pressure against decent maras or juggs. Didnt try it against merc since it bored me.

memerobot
10.28.2018 , 11:40 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DomBah View Post
I read many times from some players here how overpowered the merc or the sniper is. Merc has to many deff cd's and so on. So i read a few day ago 5 vs 1 merc and i thought just really? Is this guy and the others troll the community, are they tried to convince the devs with these posts and threads to nerf a class or something.
However finally i take some hour and look for myself what is going on with the damn def-cd's. So here it comes (without shadow, not enough time):
If you took one hour to review "everything", then you should try another game. Seriously.

Jugger:
40k instant healing
Immunity vs direct damage + 5 sec 100% direct damage reflect
55% melee /ranged defense chance (100% for the first 2 sec) + 25% force/tech damage reduction
Healing everytime when taking damage up to 122k, can activated while stunned

Remarks:
Second slowest class
Instants class
Very good tools to support grp
No real escape tool

Other useful abilities for pvp

DD Taunt
AOE mezz
AOE slow
DD Guard
It is actually one of the fastest in terms of running speed(without any abilities being used);
Arguably the strongest tank due to insane damage absoprtion and high dps output;
DPS is only crap in terms of survivability because ED, despite being "good" heals, they have no internal cooldown, so either just make a refill of health as fast as possible or just cc and wait it out. Sometimes it is better to just burst it out; Saves the trouble of having to wait it out for so long;
Guard as a DD only works in Regs and specific Ranked conditions(keep it limited to Solo Ranked. TR?
It is a death sentence, against better builds, and same argument goes for the other 2 classes that can guard).

Maro:
20% damage reduction for up to 30 sec + low damage to attacker
90% accuracy reduction for one target and 75% damage reduction for 6 sec
Vanishing (can used as escape or as damage boost if skilled)
99% damage reduction for 6 sec
55% melee / ranged defense chance + 25% force/tech damage reduction

Remarks:
Fast
One of the best burst
Instants class
Good in nearly every situation, no weaknesses
With escape tool

Root / slow break and massive movement boost for the whole grp on 30 sec
AOE mezz
I can see you played pretty much only Fury. The other two specs, although still good, have lost reliable utility and can be used pretty much by the top players. In case this is verified, Fury becomes, pretty much, useless.
You forgot that it takes time to learn properly how to apply the good damage and when to use defensives. It isn't the hardest class but has its skillgap, accounting from the line above.

Sniper (Burst DD):

30% damage reduction for 3 attacks every time get in cover
5 sec 200% dodge to melee & ranged attacks + 75% reduction for force and tech attacks
10k absorb shield
Accuracy aoe reduction 45% for 8 sec
25% dogde chance while in cover
AOE shield with 20% damage reduction - up to 40% if 4 enemies in shield - for 20 sec (+ 1%/sec healing if skilled) Roll, purging from movement-cc and 13k instant heal
Complete cc immunity for 23 sec

Remarks:
Immobile while doing damage, but can move fast if skilled
Cast & channel class, but not vulnerable to interrupts because of some class mechanics
High range and many cc tools
Very strong in direct 1vs1, weak against kiter
With escape tool

Healing reduction for target for 20%
20% damage reduction for every team member within aoe shield
2nd hardest class to use in the whole game regarding Ranked. Lots of tools and stuff but really, try a whole month in Solo Ranked as a sniper. Would like to see you apply the "godly stuff".
Major weakness: Heavy focus on the player AND line of sight. You just don't do 1v1 with a sniper. Take away the imaginary scenario out of your head.

Operative (Burst DD and Heal):
10k absorb shield
Stealth class - can choose when to get in combat, target mezz from stealth
Battle vanish
3 sec 200% dodge to melee & ranged attacks + 150% reflect tech & force attacks (cd depends on incoming attacks)
2x roll with dodge all attacks for 1.5 sec every time

Remarks:
Fast
Instants class as dd, mixture for healer
In the hands of very good players very efficient dd and healer
But very difficult to master, needs month of practice and experience
Healer can have some problems with interruption through enenmies
With escape tool

AOE cloak
Some off healing at the cost of damage
It is actually the best healer class, out of the 3 classes, but to pull out that potential, you need insane skill.
DPS burst is really bad in Ranked. You see backstab dot/volatile substance? Swap guard and damage is negated. Predictable damage can be mitigated easily. And if they are busy rolling, they aren't DPS'ing. That simple.

Merc (Burst DD and Heal):

Immunity vs direct damage + reflect direct damage for 50% & healing for every direct incoming damage 6.5k, can activated while stunned
Fast healing (100%) up to 60% of max hp for 10 sec
Shield with 25% damage reduction for 12 sec + up to 53k healing after shield ends (cd + healing depends on incoming damage/attacks)
Burst dd : instant 14k heal every 3x grav round / tracer missile (cost 20% energy and some burst damage)
For burst dd only : 2x absorb force & tech attacks
Electro-net: prevents one enemy to activate movement and some defense abilities for 9 sec (can countered with cc breaker)

Remarks
Slowest class, cannot hunt fast classes
Cast & channel class
Highest vulnerablity to any kind of interrupts
Worst pvp healer, output can be shut down if 2 or more melees attack
Strong in 1vs1, weak against mutiple enemies
No real escape tool

Some offhealing at the cost of damage
It is weak against multiple targets against a proper and coordinated team(and usually happens during Ranked). Regs will tell you a different story. Everytime reflect is popped up, I always see them being hit and heal up, and shield basically on 10 stacks pretty fast. They have defensives that you bypass by stopping dpsing for ridiculous amount of time. Kolto overload? +10s, Reflect +6s; if you don't want to give shield stacks +12s. And they can heal themselves up.
Also, they have spammable slowdowns. So much for the "cannot catch up others".

Powertech (Burst DD):

Shield with 25% damage reduction for 15 sec (CD depends on incoming damage)
Slow healing (50%) up to 35% max hp for 8 sec, (able to activate while stunned if skilled
30% damage reduction while stunned and from area affects
38% defense chance for 6 sec
Damage from area attacks heals for 3,5k

Remarks:
Fast
No anti-focus ability
Instants class
Good tools for cc
One of the best burst in game
With escape tool against slow classes

DD guard
AOE stunn
Enemy target pull
DD taunt
Strongest DPS but weakest in defensives, by a fairly large margin.
Takes immense skill to use. 3rd hardest class to use its full potential.

Sorc:

Instant heal 22k (+ 15% damage reduction if skilled)
Immunity to cc and damage for up to 8 sec
Teleport up to 60m away
Damage reduction 25% for 6 sec
Mezz barrier

Remarks:
Fast
Cast & channel class
Vulnerable to any kind of interrupts (depends on spec)
Best pvp healer if guarded, often first target if not
Bad burst damage, even in burst spec
DD needs kiting playstyle to be effective
Weak against multiple enemies

Friendly target pull
Good off heal for team member
"Strongest healer" because its the easiest to use, as well.
All the defensives this class has seem to have been molded around the heal spec, which is the reason as to why DPS specs do really bad.
There's only around 5/6 players, in all servers, that know how to use DPS specs at the very highest level in this game.
Hardest DPS class to use in the game, as well.

As an indicator how a class performs we can get the rankings from ranked pvp. Of course its just an indicator, sadly bioware doesn't share further more statistics. But lets start.
We can look at the Top 100 and the Top 200. I think Top 200 is better for an overview, in the top 100 are more the pro's and nerds. The group statistics are more relevant but the solo are interesting too, because it shows diffenrent situations leads to different class performings.
Current state @ 24.10.18

Group | Solo | Thoughts

Jugger
38 | 30 | Strong in all situations

Maro
32 | 45 | Strong in all situations

Assa
20 | 14 | No judgment here from me

Sorc
34 | 14 | Assume mostly healer, , with tank in group best healer

Powertech
19 | 6 | Assume mostly tanks , in group ok, in solo anti-focus ability is missing

Merc
16 | 37 | Strong if not or just slightly attacked, weak in pressure situations,

Sniper
29 | 38 | Strong in all situations

Operative
12 | 16 | A class for experts, performs very well in the hands of a master, but need months

So my conclusion is that the merc is far away from overpowered, the sniper is good as the maro.
Powertech had some problems, Operative is much to difficult to master. Maro and Jugger are doing better overall then merc.
Conclusion is garbage and you should be somewhat embarrassed of posting it. 1 hour of seeing everything is no where near enough.