5.6 - Precision Nerf - Feedback

I_LUV_CHICKN

Alright well im certainly no carnage aficionado, but i was looking at ferocity now and what it will be post 5.6. So the 2 stacks will last 10 seconds. The current cooldown of ferocity is like 11.7 seconds with zero alacrity, and you can get it close to 10 secs with target alacrity. As i understand ferocity doesnt respect the global cooldown so i guess i would try to create a rotation that started with ferocity and used abilities that didnt use the stacks (like ravage or saber throw to proc gore) until ferocity was close to or on cooldown, use the first two stacks on gore and massacre, then use ferocity again, maybe fit in another non ferocity ability if ferocity still needs a second to cooldown, use proc'd devastating blast and vicious throw. All of this is just an inexperienced theory and its clear to me that the current rotation suggested by dulfy will be in need of complete overhaul, but perhaps this can be worked around to to ease the transgression into the new "non-clipping" era. The idea is you'd keep a sustainable 4 hit ferocity burst combo without precise timing. If my idea works it would mean that, if the devs decided to make ferocity stack to 3 in the future, you would have a 6 attack ferocity combo, 2 or 3 of which would be massacre since it doesnt have a cooldown<and that sounds like what a kid once called "bonkersburst"

I've thought about this one before actually, and with a Berserk'd Ferocity you can get a 5-hit combo. Because Ravage and Massacre are affected by Ferocity, however, we have like 3 attacks that aren't affected (Dual Saber Throw, Assault, Battering Assault). I think it has potential to work in PvP, but it'll be situational then and most likely not optimal at all in PvE. I do like the suggestion though, I'll definitely put some testing to it when the changes go live.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some thoughts to compensate dps loss

1) Consider Making Precision a Global Cooldown again, and give it a damage pool, probably around the same damage Lance is at now

Why - Now that Precision is no longer duration based, the need for tempo is non existent. Doing this allows Precision to serve as the 3rd/4th attack buffer at the start of the precision window in which you were previously 'clipping' an attack

Now that Precision is no longer duration based, the cutoff of Ataru form inside Precision Window loses a lot of damage, as well as clipping being a thing, Precision serving as a buffer will not only save the class from a fall of grace, but still will be balanced around the fact that it respects global cooldown, which easily ends the whole clipping debacle.

2) Consider Changing Lance's design, and make it replace Blade Barrage (Combat spec only of course)

This would actually clean a lot of odd things regarding Sentinel Combat: for instance, Lance being the replacement for Blade Barrage not only justifies it's 1.5 second hinder, because it would correspond to the 3 second root that Blade Barrage has in accordance to it's utility Debilitation, but would also allow for the same cycle as prior to Lance's debut, when players were trying to fit both Blade Barrage and Lance in a single precision window.

With Precision as the main buffer on cast, the design of Precision's new 'opportune burst' now allow for creativity, where players can either go for a long range option with Precision, Dispatch/TST, Clash

Or a risky melee option with Precision, Lance and Blade Rush, along with an aoe option select with TST, Sweep

As you can see, there is not only a healthy choice of option select, but an equal amount also. How the player chooses to execute in this regard, should be his/her joy

3) Consider Allowing Precision to affect Force Sweep & Twin Saber Throw

It leaves much to the imagination of Cyclone Slash being a precision option, when stronger aoe's exist for Sentinel, yet are being neglected.

Force Sweep should be the aoe option comparative between Clashing Blast (being that they use the force)

Twin Saber Throw should be the aoe option comparative between Dispatch (being that they are saber throws)

Cyclone remains the aoe option comparative between Blade Rush (being that they are melee with ataru synergy)

Edited by Bonzenaattori

Am I the only one who's noticed that Ferocity/Precision seems to have a lot more uptime post-nerf? I feel like I have it readily available a lot of the time now that it stacks. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but can someone confirm this?

What do you mean, exactly? That the ability itself is longer ? (It does last 10 seconds after activation now). Or that you're not using it as often as you did before?

What do you mean, exactly? That the ability itself is longer ? (It does last 10 seconds after activation now). Or that you're not using it as often as you did before?

The precision [Ferocity] Window lasts for 10 seconds after you start it and is limited it only certain attacks [Gore, Ravage, Devistating Blast, Viscious throw, massacre, smash, and sweeping slash [sorry I don't know what the pub names for them are]. So you have 10 seconds to get 3 attacks into the window if it's a beserk window, and two attacks in the non-beserk window. The cooldown on the window begins immediately, not once you use your stacks so may find at times by the time your are done with one window the cooldown is done on the window and can be used again, but thats only providing you don't use your attacks immediately, which isn't recommended. You still want to get those attacks off as fast as possible, otherwise when your done with one window you may not have all the attacks you want for the second window off cooldown and so youll have to delay that second window. The longer you wait between windows though the more you can incur a dps loss. So you have some more time to get things into the window and using attacks that are not on that list will not count as an attack inside the window. It makes it more reliable, but it comes at a big cost, DPS. We've lost two attacks from the window which comes out to about an 800 DPS loss]. You are less likely to loss out on windows, but you will also not be able to put out DPS like you could prior to the change.

You don't need to stack alacrity anymore, it's a dump stat beyond it's value like any other class. It is not speed based anymore and has stacks instead of a 3 second window. It's beserk abiility does nothing for it anymore, there is absolutely no need for that kind of speed in a 10 second window.

Personally, the loss of the playstyle is what I hate most about the change, but, the DPS loss is so significant that the greater reliability of the windows does not compensate for the dps loss. It was always a high risk high reward spec, that's why many people loved it. You are better off stacking power and critical now instead of high levels of alacrity like you use to. - I'd rather have high risk/high reward, because now you are locked into mediocre. I can't think of a worser stare for a pure DPS class than that. This is much worse for PVE than it is for PVP, but even in PVP, IMO, the dps difference is noticable. It may work better for people who weren't playing the spec optimally, but for the high end performers it's worse.

The loss of an attack from the non-beserk window was baseless by the reasoning behind the change [they wanted to get rid of clipping ] and they knew it, as clipping wasn't required to get a third attack into the non-beserk window. It was a tight fit, yes, but that is what alacrity is for. They just take it away for the hell of it.

They could have met their design goals without radically changing the playstyle. Removing clipping was the goal for them, they could have just removed the possibility of clipping but otherwise left the spec alone without having to change it's play style and taking another big chuck of DPS away from it as the spec had just recieved a DPS nerf in 5.2. Between the DPS loss of both 5.2 and 5.6, your talking about a 1000 point DPS loss for a pure DPS spec. Now even Fury has better burst than carnage, and better everything else. In PVE, there is no reason to take a Carnage Marauder over a Fury Marauder as Fury performs better in every single way, carnage further has the lowest dps of the three specs. Fury is also better in PVP because of it;s greater mobility and it's passive CC- immunities. Fury always had that edge in PVP, and it's perfectly understandable, but now it's better in both PVE and PVP. There's really no excuse for intentionally leaving one spec sub par to the others. It was wrong they did it to Fury and it's wrong now.

Some people may like the change for the better reliability, hey, more power to em. I absolutely hate the change. The game didn't need more dumbing down. If you wanted an easy playstyle, that was what Fury was for. Speed and high risk/high reward were the hallmarks of the spec and why so many people who mained Carnage loved the spec. A lot of joy has been taken out of the spec IMO as it doesn't feel the same and it doesn't play the same. The DPS was all it had going for it. No one needs a Marauder to move fast, every spec in the game has a movement enhancer and in some cases faster. A raid buff doesn't cut it and when you consider that both Fury and Annihilation bring both those things and higher DPS, why would a progression raid group want a Carnage marauder? Fury bursts better anyways and has higher sustained damage as well.

It isn't Carnage/Combat anymore, least not to me.

The precision [Ferocity] Window lasts for 10 seconds after you start it and is limited it only certain attacks [Gore, Ravage, Devistating Blast, Viscious throw, massacre, smash, and sweeping slash [sorry I don't know what the pub names for them are]. So you have 10 seconds to get 3 attacks into the window if it's a beserk window, and two attacks in the non-beserk window. The cooldown on the window begins immediately, not once you use your stacks so may find at times by the time your are done with one window the cooldown is done on the window and can be used again, but thats only providing you don't use your attacks immediately, which isn't recommended. You still want to get those attacks off as fast as possible, otherwise when your done with one window you may not have all the attacks you want for the second window off cooldown and so youll have to delay that second window. The longer you wait between windows though the more you can incur a dps loss. So you have some more time to get things into the window and using attacks that are not on that list will not count as an attack inside the window. It makes it more reliable, but it comes at a big cost, DPS. We've lost two attacks from the window which comes out to about an 800 DPS loss]. You are less likely to loss out on windows, but you will also not be able to put out DPS like you could prior to the change.

You don't need to stack alacrity anymore, it's a dump stat beyond it's value like any other class. It is not speed based anymore and has stacks instead of a 3 second window. It's beserk abiility does nothing for it anymore, there is absolutely no need for that kind of speed in a 10 second window.

Personally, the loss of the playstyle is what I hate most about the change, but, the DPS loss is so significant that the greater reliability of the windows does not compensate for the dps loss. It was always a high risk high reward spec, that's why many people loved it. You are better off stacking power and critical now instead of high levels of alacrity like you use to. - I'd rather have high risk/high reward, because now you are locked into mediocre. I can't think of a worser stare for a pure DPS class than that. This is much worse for PVE than it is for PVP, but even in PVP, IMO, the dps difference is noticable. It may work better for people who weren't playing the spec optimally, but for the high end performers it's worse.

The loss of an attack from the non-beserk window was baseless by the reasoning behind the change [they wanted to get rid of clipping ] and they knew it, as clipping wasn't required to get a third attack into the non-beserk window. It was a tight fit, yes, but that is what alacrity is for. They just take it away for the hell of it.

They could have met their design goals without radically changing the playstyle. Removing clipping was the goal for them, they could have just removed the possibility of clipping but otherwise left the spec alone without having to change it's play style and taking another big chuck of DPS away from it as the spec had just recieved a DPS nerf in 5.2. Between the DPS loss of both 5.2 and 5.6, your talking about a 1000 point DPS loss for a pure DPS spec. Now even Fury has better burst than carnage, and better everything else. In PVE, there is no reason to take a Carnage Marauder over a Fury Marauder as Fury performs better in every single way, carnage further has the lowest dps of the three specs. Fury is also better in PVP because of it;s greater mobility and it's passive CC- immunities. Fury always had that edge in PVP, and it's perfectly understandable, but now it's better in both PVE and PVP. There's really no excuse for intentionally leaving one spec sub par to the others. It was wrong they did it to Fury and it's wrong now.

Some people may like the change for the better reliability, hey, more power to em. I absolutely hate the change. The game didn't need more dumbing down. If you wanted an easy playstyle, that was what Fury was for. Speed and high risk/high reward were the hallmarks of the spec and why so many people who mained Carnage loved the spec. A lot of joy has been taken out of the spec IMO as it doesn't feel the same and it doesn't play the same. The DPS was all it had going for it. No one needs a Marauder to move fast, every spec in the game has a movement enhancer and in some cases faster. A raid buff doesn't cut it and when you consider that both Fury and Annihilation bring both those things and higher DPS, why would a progression raid group want a Carnage marauder? Fury bursts better anyways and has higher sustained damage as well.

It isn't Carnage/Combat anymore, least not to me.

It pains me way too much to agree with this but its true.

I understand the nature of the dps loss which 100% is unfair, but hopefully they'll care... Hopefully (looks at Sorcerer dps)... ... hopefully *cringes*

Everything about a marauder has been sacked.

Ops wide buffs aren't unique anymore, EVEN THOUGH THEY NERFED INSPIRATION!

Transcendence isn't cool anymore, in fact, its more efficient for other classes to use theirs, or it gives much better effects, for example no cooldown or less cooldown (Vanguard stealth scan is around 15 seconds ish where transcendance is 30 seconds) or it only requires one utility instead of two, which is super unfair.

We have to invest so much and still end up getting so little for what we bring to operations.

I've just decided to no longer run with it, and i'd rather play more selfish as I feel ultimately i gain more than sharing with my group, who in 90% of the content, don't even need it or the game's mechanics were designed in a way where you're not expected to use 100% of your utility/resources

It's sad, because certain aspects like these are what made me want to play sentinel ( that and dual wield)

Now i feel like i've lost myself, the only other class I liked was Vanguard, and that's night and day in terms of difference in playstyle.

Can confirm clipping still works.

To be honest I have to question how a human being can consider this a 'bug', or even give it a name such as 'clipping'.

It irritates me for many reasons,

It shows

1) You don't know what Global Cooldown Rule is supposed to actually be for

2) You do not like players that deviate from your intended 'playstyle'.

Two things in which you don't have neither the jurisdiction to dictate nor the power or influence to change. But you're still trying to do so.

Players will always play whats right for them and what is tentative to their style, its the base reason why individuals pick certain classes. You do not have the right to change it just because you don't 'like' it, and even if you think you do, you're doing it the wrong way, this method lacks tact, and any form of realistic analysis.

You're rushing this out, and I don't understand why, it's like you don't appreciate the audience's response to the changes and their thoughts and feelings, but you still post for feedback and ask our opinions and feelings.

Please concentrate on making the class fun and unique instead of trying to trailblazer a metrical dynamic.

Independent factors such as 'clipping' should be hailed with praise towards the players who take the initiative to do such a thing, as if it weren't for their innovation and creativity, such a thing wouldn't even be considered feasible until that initiative has been achieved by whomever. Things like these make players say 'COOL! I wana try that!' and aim to better themselves as players to achieve a height of difficulty/skill level that may have not even been considered at any point prior

It's like we as a community do NOT like good players

Edited by Bonzenaattori

Can confirm clipping still works.

To be honest I have to question how a human being can consider this a 'bug', or even give it a name such as 'clipping'.

It irritates me for many reasons,

It shows

1) You don't know what Global Cooldown Rule is supposed to actually be for

2) You do not like players that deviate from your intended 'playstyle'.

Two things in which you don't have neither the jurisdiction to dictate nor the power or influence to change. But you're still trying to do so.

Players will always play whats right for them and what is tentative to their style, its the base reason why individuals pick certain classes. You do not have the right to change it just because you don't 'like' it, and even if you think you do, you're doing it the wrong way, this method lacks tact, and any form of realistic analysis.

You're rushing this out, and I don't understand why, it's like you don't appreciate the audience's response to the changes and their thoughts and feelings, but you still post for feedback and ask our opinions and feelings.

Please concentrate on making the class fun and unique instead of trying to trailblazer a metrical dynamic.

Independent factors such as 'clipping' should be hailed with praise towards the players who take the initiative to do such a thing, as if it weren't for their innovation and creativity, such a thing wouldn't even be considered feasible until that initiative has been achieved by whomever. Things like these make players say 'COOL! I wana try that!' and aim to better themselves as players to achieve a height of difficulty/skill level that may have not even been considered at any point prior

It's like we as a community do NOT like good players

I'm sorry, I'm trying not to be as long winded as I use to be, but this subject is very close to my heart after all these years playing the spec, so I'm not gonna try and keep in any length. If it's too long for some to read, please feel free to skim through it or not read it at all. Some of this will be things I've said before I'm sure. My apologies ahead of time.

I'm totally in agreement with you.

Consider this.

We all know you can fit three attacks into the non-berserk window, right? Tight fit, sure, but putting 3 instant attacks into a 3 second window, seems kinda like simple math to me. Now if you said 3 1 second attacks into a 3 second window, you'd still say, ok, 3 one second attacks should come out roughly to...umm....3 seconds. A 3 second window, well, how do you like that? What a cowinkydink, perfect fit!

But it's not 3 one second attacks, it's 3 instant attacks. So it seems kinda simple really. Now ask yourself this. If you can fit 3 instant attacks into the 3 second non-berserk window, shouldn't it be a foregone conclusion than that you can fit 3 instant attacks into the berserk window as well without clipping? I think most would agree that makes sense. So, if we can fit three instant attacks into a three second window without clipping, what's all that Alacrity for that you get from the Berserk window? What was the design reasoning behind giving the spec a +30% alacrity bonus if you don't need it to get those three attacks in? Even a bonus of +10% alacrity would be substantial, but 30% alacrity bonus? That's an insane amount of alacrity. Why than? Why in addition to the +3 % alacrity bonus from the stance and the alacrity levels you can achieve for adding some to your gear, what was the reasoning behind giving the spec that HUGE +30% alacrity bonus?

Well, lets consider that Ravage use to be a channeled attack, and what did you have to do to be able to use Ravage[which wasn't an instant attack] in order to make it fit in the window but not take up two ability uses in that channel time? You had to clip ravage at .03 seconds left. So, now, if we consider that, that means, they knew that in order to maximize the damage potential of the spec you had to clip ravage. That wasn't a mess up, that wasn't an oversight, that wasn't an exploit, that was timing, skill, and the reason why you had that +30% alacrity bonus because otherwise you would only be able to use Ravage and one other ability in that window, not three. Clipping Ravage, was built into the design of the spec.

Now, if someone than comes and says well the spec didn't always play the way it does now [meaning prior to 5.6] there's an argument to made for that. I remember when Rapture was apart of Carnage, same animation that Anni's got. It seems to me, there can only be one reason for designing the spec with such an massive Alacrity surge that a 30% bonus represents, it has to be about fitting more attacks into the window that you would normally be able to do otherwise. You can't do that without clipping attacks tho. So those people who make the argument clipping was unintended, you could maybe say that with regard to getting 4 attacks into the berserk window, clipping DST into the window. But you can't say that all clipping was unintended, because the ravage clipping seems pretty obvious that it was intended for Carnage. Why? Carnage wasn't the only spec with a channeled Ravage. In fact, there was a whole other class that also had a channeled Ravage, Juggs. Why didn't they give those other specs and classes an alacrity bonus than? Because clipping was not intended for them, but it was intended for Carnage.

In closing, and I might get some flack for this, but it's my honest opinion [ I could be wrong, but it is what I believe], I don't for one second believe that clipping in all forms was not intended for Carnage. Both the Ravage clip and the DST Clip.

It's impossible to contend the possibility, that three entire metas came and went with class balances made between each meta [not like now, but just in terms of the DPS order like we saw in Bant's and other websites which listed the order, it wasn't the same in each meta.], and to believe that they were unaware of the clipping going on since 3.0 and they left it in 4.0 and they even left it in 5.0. Three years, and they had not idea about clipping? The monitors of the forums alone make that an inconceivable notion. Now, looking back, I can remember in 3.0 alacrity being considered a dump stat for Carnage [maras]. But, that's why they gave them a speed boost anyways, because they needed it for clipping Ravage. They might not have needed it for much else back than because Alacrity didn't work exactly the same way as it does now, but there was a massive speed boost put into the spec by design.

I'm sorry, I do not believe that BW was unaware of clipping going on over the course of three separate metas. I don't believe they weren't fully aware of exactly how clipping was being used. I don't believe they had a problem with clipping being used. If, that is not the case, I am wrong, which is certainly within the real of possibility, what does that say for the devs responsible for class balance and design, that three metas could have come and gone and they were completely clueless to clipping and it's effects on DPS out put.

Was anybody complaining in 4.0 when Anni was the number 1 spec on the DPS chart and Carnage was the number 2? I don't recall that. Please, if I am wrong I'm sure some people could find some old posts that were more than maybe just one or two passing comments on it. If I am recalling faulty, I have no issue with being shown I'm wrong at all. I just dont ever recall any outcries over a pure DPS class being in the top DPS spots, which they absolutely always should be. Cut away at any other part you like than, but it makes complete sense that the two pure dps classes in the game should have the best DPS. Not saying it has to be a lot more than every one else, even if it's just a token difference, 100 DPS.

Just because clipping was possible, didn't mean everyone was able to do it correctly all the time. That's part of exactly where the term "High risk/high reward" came from. It wasn't always so easy to pull off. That's what 'playing optimally' means, possible, but not easy and not likely regularly. You will mess up sometimes.

So, they ripped this spec apart. They changes the entire play style, they made it so you can't possibly not get 3/2 attacks into the window even if you don't have 1% alacrity and even if you never even both you use the berserk alacrity. You're still getting all three attacks in in 10 seconds. So, why do we still have a stance bonus and this ridiculous amount of alacrity surge for our berserk window that we absolutely do not need anymore? Good question, I haven't the slightest clue save for they really didn't care that they were leaving the spec an ability that no longer really serves any important purpose. Everyone else gears their alacrity in for it's other benefits that every spec can get from it, and we don't need it for getting the attacks into the window. So near as I can tell it's mostly for, well it feels really cool even tho it serves no purpose at those extreme levels. So we've made all these changes that tore a ton of DPS from the spec because clipping was "unintended" [as was the + 30% alacrity bonus than apparently all these years than] and how did they remove unintended clipping? Apparently they did so by making clipping just as possible as it ever friggen was. Genius.

Some PVPers may like the change because of it's greater reliability of the windows, but I get the impression that some people are not quite aware that they have had a shyt ton of DPS loss for it. This is even worse for PVE. So while some PVPers might not care that much, we cannot ignore the effects the change has had on PVE as well.

I care about both. I'm not trying to convince anyone they shouldn't like it now, and I'm not saying it is useless, but it is far worse DPS, and it has changed the spec massively. However much DPS people may be doing in PVP, and it can be high still, I still do pretty okay with it, but it's still quite less than it could have other wise done.

You can't take something that has been the "way it is" for years on end, meta after meta, than all of a sudden say, we are changing the way this spec functions, feels, operates, what it is in it's core, and expect people to just be okay with that. You can lower damage without changing the playstyle, how the spec functions, and what it's predicated on.

Carnage was always considered prior to the 5.x class changes, the 'psudo-burst" spec, you can still find old references from BW stating that. Psudo, not because it's burst was lower than than Furys, but because it was so conditional, and not front loaded. It was harder to play than Fury, and had alot more pitfalls, and certainly Fury maintained it's edge in PVP do to it's increased mobility and passive anti-CC. Carnage was the spec with higher sustained, now that's Fury too, and on top of that, Fury also has better burst than Carnage, because, you know, that makes sense. BW took from Carnage and gave to Fury, I don't see any other way of looking at it. Fury definitely deserved a boost, no doubt about and I'm happy it got it, but you didn't need to F over carnage to do it, and take it's playstyle from it.

It seems a lot of people playing Carnage are still using a very high alacrity build, and hey, that's fine if they want that, so maybe they don't see so much of a difference in terms of the speed factor. But, the spec simply doesn't need that kind of build anymore, and running high alacrity builds is coming at the cost of DPS. I wish it wasn't that way, I preferred the high alacrity build better myself, but the numbers just don't add up anymore. I know there are some that disagree with my view point on this, and really, I'm not knocking anyone, I want people to have fun however they prefer it. Numberwise, the DPS is better with a higher power/Critical build now, but people should play it however they enjoy it, and some less DPS in PVP isn't earth shattering. For me, I like to maximize the DPS, that's why I picked Carnage in the first place, but I respect other people's views on it.

What they should have done is made the "stack based" Carnage style a utility option. More reliability, less potential loss of windows if you're not playing optimally, a little less DPS potential. That people would have the choice of play style, the old guard players don't lose the style they loved and those who found it's windows too unreliable had the option to go stack based, and leave the high risk/high reward crap to the idiots who liked the challenge of that playstyle =p

Play your game how you like it, not how everyone else might, it's all about fun and enjoyment anyways. There is no wrong or right in that.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

+1 to practically every sentence in that

I read it, the whole thing, and you're spot on, so much so it can't be argued against.

In spite of everything that's happened I really hope they make a decision instead of just remain quiet on this.

This is 100% a bad decision and a huge dps loss.

But I'm not entirely torn about the change to precision, they just need to respect the fact that it's 3 to 4 in a precision window. Not 2 to 3

Nothing but sadness, to think this ability used to be 6 seconds on GCD (on release)

Which again, enforces that it was a 3 skill window, 4 if you count the actual Precision as well, because it had a good damage pool back then.

Soooo that's 4 skills in a window, without considering Zen :rolleyes:

Oh well, now I know how Vemrim feels

Edited by Bonzenaattori