Giving life to the world

claymadii

So I've played SWTOR for a while and I've been loving the story and gameplay and whatnot, but I've realized that the world seems generally pretty dead, even in major cities. I think if the devs added more npcs to the wild and to cities the world would feel more lived in, but not just standing around like give life to them.

For example, I wanna be walking through the streets of nar shaddaa and see somebody run up to somebody else shoot them, loot them then run away, even something small like that adds so much depth :/ or people in Taris setting up a small camp somewhere.

Idk, I hope a dev sees this and can roll out some sorta update or w/e for it, I don't think it'd be too much work ya know?

Anywho, love the game and I'm super excited to see more from y'all

The problem with that kind of thing is they'd get very repetitive, very fast.

Your brain constantly looks for patterns and you would pick up on that stuff on your second run through the planet (or even on the first one, depending on if you go back to the same places, or even just stay still for long enough).

Also, anything like that will take up resources from the client computer, meaning those who run the game on minimum settings might struggle.

The point was for other players to fill out the worlds to make them look alive, but since people blast through each world moving on to the next, only the currently active worlds look very alive.

You are seeing the world in a moment of time and every time you visit it's always that time. I suspect the approach was that we provide the life to the world as the previous poster mentioned. I'm also willingly to bet that it was a cost decision as well. No expense too great for voice acting but let's skimp on foundation. Swtor has a very pretty wrapper with a not so tasty candy center.

I used to always like to do stuff in my Nar Shadaa SH, all the weird sounds would make me feel like I was actually around people and things. Then, I realized I was actually all alone. Sad feelings.

I suggest going to fleet, go hang out near the cantina and find some role players then stand next to them pretending they are talking to you.

If that doesn’t help the loneliness, stay on fleet and type in all caps in /gen chat “SWTOR SUCKS I HATE THIS GAME AND ALL OF YOU ARE STUPID NERDS!!!!!!” This usually gets attention and makes things more lively!

If that doesn’t help the loneliness, stay on fleet and type in all caps in /gen chat “SWTOR SUCKS I HATE THIS GAME AND ALL OF YOU ARE STUPID NERDS!!!!!!” This usually gets attention and makes things more lively!

Or, for a smaller amount of immediate reportability, try what Limanko did:

"Samus Aran's a great guy!"(1)(2)

(1) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=960115

(2) For anyone out there who doesn't know this, Samus is the protagonist of the Metroid games, and above all,

Samus is female, and therefore not a guy at all.

I like the idea of some interesting new NPCs, but that alone wouldn't make the world feel alive.

I'd like to see the worlds have time of day. Daytime and nighttime on a 21 hour schedule, so relative day and night slowly shifts during the week.

Along with that, add NPCs that only appear during the day or night. For example, more underworld types might come out at night, while tourists disappear.

If you want to get people together, add an NPC that only shows up for a short time each day, perhaps a performer and a vendor in a specific cantina, on a different planet each day. That would encourage people on that planet to gather for awhile, not just on Fleet.

Some variety of weather would help, too. New planets have it, the old planets could use the upgrade.

Edited by Xina_LA