Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Dual Spec: Let's Talk about it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Dual Spec: Let's Talk about it.

Spoonuser's Avatar


Spoonuser
01.09.2012 , 06:21 PM | #1
Title says it all.
What do you think the pros/cons of such a system would be?

I for one, am not having too much fun, spending 100k everytime I want to switch from PvP to PvE spec. I'm being carroted into playing in one style of play, yet the game has many to offer.
<SeriousTier>
US West|Hardcore|PvPServer|PvE Raid/PvP|Social

JediRaffa's Avatar


JediRaffa
01.09.2012 , 06:22 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Spoonuser View Post
Title says it all.
What do you think the pros/cons of such a system would be?

I for one, am not having too much fun, spending 100k everytime I want to switch from PvP to PvE spec. I'm being carroted into playing in one style of play, yet the game has many to offer.
This will be implemented in the next couple of major patches, you'll see.

TheHeadCapper's Avatar


TheHeadCapper
01.09.2012 , 06:23 PM | #3
I think the amount of storylines and time put into it promotes multiple playthroughs.

I think the legacy system promotes multiple playthroughs.

I think dual specs would go right against the 2 previously mentioned items and not make any sense in this game. Which is interesting for me, because i'm usually for dual specs.
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions

Nightfox_'s Avatar


Nightfox_
01.09.2012 , 06:24 PM | #4
Dualspeccing sounds like WoW talk. Tsk tsk

paul_preib's Avatar


paul_preib
01.09.2012 , 06:28 PM | #5
I'm split on the issue. My two primary classes (one each faction) are both leveling in dps specs with the intent of healing in most group situations.

As such I would stand to very much benefit from quick-swapping between dps while soloing content and healing in my group role, so there is a certain allure there.


That said it also feels like it somewhat cheapens things that way. I dropped away from WOW right about the time dual spec was hitting (not for that reason, timing just happened to coincide) so I don't have the practical experience of it to pull from really, but my current inclination still feels like it isn't necessarily a benefit overall.


I think making the final respec cap more modest would be a nice compromise between benefiting those who do perform multiple roles and therefore respec a bit more often, without cheapening the overall feel with ready-made swapping.

pjskull's Avatar


pjskull
01.09.2012 , 06:30 PM | #6
They said they are putting it in... What's to talk about?

Moricthian's Avatar


Moricthian
01.09.2012 , 06:30 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHeadCapper View Post
I think the amount of storylines and time put into it promotes multiple playthroughs.

I think the legacy system promotes multiple playthroughs.

I think dual specs would go right against the 2 previously mentioned items and not make any sense in this game. Which is interesting for me, because i'm usually for dual specs.
Actually Duel Spec will do the opposite. Rather than rerolling the same class in order to do another spec, I can use duel spec and then reroll another character entirely and experience a completely different story. Bioware wants players to experience as much story content as possible, no wasting rerolls running the same story content people have already seen before.

Miffy's Avatar


Miffy
01.09.2012 , 06:34 PM | #8
Great so every class can become the same? I hate what WoW has become, you could see it starting when they let Paladin and Shaman play on each side and it has just gotten worse from there.

Roll your talent spec and if you want to change it then pay for the respec or roll an ALT and get over it.

Nitewolfe's Avatar


Nitewolfe
01.10.2012 , 12:16 AM | #9
I say NO to dual spec! and keep respec cost high!
I do not want to have to face guild pressure to have a heal/tank spec!
No dont tell me roll a gunslinger i have a very viable dps commando!
What starts out as optional soon becomes demanded. Rift is prime example. What sounded great with a flexible soul system became you WILL carry a spec for all possible roles or you wont raid!

Wolfeisberg's Avatar


Wolfeisberg
01.10.2012 , 12:22 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nitewolfe View Post
I say NO to dual spec! and keep respec cost high!
I do not want to have to face guild pressure to have a heal/tank spec!
No dont tell me roll a gunslinger i have a very viable dps commando!
What starts out as optional soon becomes demanded. Rift is prime example. What sounded great with a flexible soul system became you WILL carry a spec for all possible roles or you wont raid!
Sounds like you need to raid with different people. Never had your problem in WoW or in Rift.