Voidstar 0-0 draws must be sorted now

Eszi

In a certain manner you could actually translate this to being a benefit to whomever is the second attacking team, as you can know if you successfully defended fully then you can adjust your strategy to reflect maximum kill efficiency over worrying about the door (cluster up in a ball, pick target of emphasis grapple/harpoon him into the middle and focus blast).

Not saying that's a bad alternative, Doesn't matter too much to me because frankly I can comfortably admit I'm never making my way to a team where one loss will have much impact on my rating (whilst I pvp a quite a bit across multiple toons I am the only one that does much wz-ing in my guild so will be mostly doing unrated or the occasional ranked pug).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone! I just talked with Rob Hinkle on the PvP team about this, and he let me know that:

1) Yes, right now, if neither team breaches the first set of doors, the winner is determined randomly (in case anyone wasn't sure).

2) We have a change coming that will determine the winner in this case by taking each team's number of kills into account.

Thanks for posting to let us know your thoughts on this topic!

To me kill count is a bad idea for one like someone said all heals teams will never get through the doors but they'll never die and can just constantly inturupt someone trying to plant a bomb. Just cause died a million times my teams ability to keep the enemy from getting any progress should still be noteworthy.

Implement Draws! A nil nil draw in VS should award both teams a draw medal but no victory to either side. In the case of ranked no rating change.

Draws should only be a factor for a 0-0 score in VS, in a tie in huttball and no ball control or in the now very rare event of "match will end in 30 seconds..." In the case of daily/weeklys a draw counts as a loss. But I truely feel that seeing a "draw" ending on the scoreboard will be accepted.

Hey everyone! I just talked with Rob Hinkle on the PvP team about this, and he let me know that:

1) Yes, right now, if neither team breaches the first set of doors, the winner is determined randomly (in case anyone wasn't sure).

2) We have a change coming that will determine the winner in this case by taking each team's number of kills into account.

Thanks for relaying this here. Just a few questions..

1. Is the "determination" set in stone (meaning will they explore or ask the PvP player base their input)

2. Will this be something pushed live soon, or pushed when Official Rateds starts?

3. It is possible that both teams could tie with kill count as well, what happens then?

Thank you.

Edited by Pistols

To me kill count is a bad idea for one like someone said all heals teams will never get through the doors but they'll never die and can just constantly inturupt someone trying to plant a bomb. Just cause died a million times my teams ability to keep the enemy from getting any progress should still be noteworthy.

Implement Draws! A nil nil draw in VS should award both teams a draw medal but no victory to either side. In the case of ranked no rating change.

Draws should only be a factor for a 0-0 score in VS, in a tie in huttball and no ball control or in the now very rare event of "match will end in 30 seconds..." In the case of daily/weeklys a draw counts as a loss. But I truely feel that seeing a "draw" ending on the scoreboard will be accepted.

In building a "death proof" all heals team though you cause yourself issues in other matches-- adleraan and denova being difficult to push the opposition in a cap, huttball being fairly reliant on fire-pit stunning or being extremely good at peeling the ballcarrier away from his support.

That's the thing, if you want to build a match-specific composition that's fine, but there are drawbacks in other areas to balance things out.

Thanks for relaying this here. Just two questions.

1. Is the "determination" set in stone (meaning will they explore or ask the PvP player base their input)

2. Will this be something pushed live soon, or pushed when Official Rateds starts?

3. It is possible that both teams could tie with kill count as well, what happens then?

Thank you.

one.. two... three

This is an objective based match, kills should not take account for who is the winner of the match, should be something like, who made the most attempts or down to basic team spread. as in Heals+Gaurd+DPS= *score*

Will make it fair when processing the winner.

This is how it is done in all PVP games (excluding MMo's) as it promotes an even balance. if it was a deathmatch. yeh fine. Kills count. take for example CoD Mw3, Domination. who holds a point longer wins. I am not going to care how many times I die, I will play the objective

I am also against that the number of kills should be the deciding factor. A tie would be the only sensible option, because every other stat is mainly determined on team set up, and NOT objective performance. Objective points would probably be the worst though, because standing right in front of a door is the best way to get ninja'd...

Allyson thank you for replying in the pvp forum, and it is good to know you are looking at this issue.

I'd like to weigh in that I don't think kills is the best metric, as it favors a) the second attacker (they know they just need to get a lot of kills) and b) the team with the most AoE

Remember, you get kill credit if you just graze someone who eventually dies, or heal someone who kills someone. If I tag everyone with an AoE and they all die, that's 8 kills. The team with the least deaths makes more sense.

Of course that can be a draw as well. Honestly, the warzone is very fair as it stands currently, except the draw mechanic. Just make it an actual draw, or award winner to the lower rated team.

Negative, who ever is giving you this information is wrong. The current mechanics of Voidstar zero breach draws ends with the team who defended first round attacked second round as the winner.

Really? Kills? Is that the best you can do? Voidstar is not about kills, it's about defending the objective and making sure, no matter what that the opposing team doesn't get through to the next room. Kills do not come into this, or any warzone and I've won warzones on plenty of occasions where I've dealt no damage but managed to score/defend on several occasions just to prove the point that kills are irrelevant.

Bioware, stop being lazy and make it a draw. It's stupid to even consider that the victor should be decided by kills.

Edited by ArcCaptain

Negative, who ever is giving you this information is wrong. The current mechanics of Voidstar zero breach draws ends with the team who defended first round attacked second round as the winner.

Wrong. Where do people get this stuff lol?

Edited by Pistols

Hello, Allison.

I have to fully agree with some of the posters before me. This is an absolutely terrible idea in my humble opinion. Even random determination as it is now, is much more fair than this. I'd go so far as to say that ANY kind of winner determination via some obscure formula incorporating any kinds of wz stats is just not fair from some particular point of view.

An exampe: I have already experienced quite a few voidstar matches, where our team was quite outgeared and still due to good teamwork, coordination etc. pp. and of course to vast mistakes of the opponents we somehow managed to protect the door, without basically killing anyone (they cut through us like butter and had like 30-40 kills pro person, while we had perhaps 10. Just to give you the idea, what I mean). Of course we ourselves had almost no real chance to take the door. So why would we be punished for achieving an actually great result against all odds, only because of the number of kills? Not fair. I could probably come with many different scenarios when other stats would be taken into account.

Based on this, I heavily appeal on you and the pvp development team, to please make a draw what it is, as some people before me also already said - a DRAW! I think with this you would make basically everyone happy and it would be absolutely fair.

Similar is the situation with huttball. It's not that unfair as it is now, that the team in ball posession wins if the match ends with the draw, but it is also a very bad design from my point of view, because it goes against all idea of huttball turning really great huttball matches into mindless deathmatches in the last 1-2 minutes. Please think about making a draw there a DRAW as well. This would be really fair and it would guarantee for really suspenseful matches with game-decisive scores or saves in the last seconds of the match.

I hope that many people will support the draw both for voidstar as perhaps for huttball as well in this thread, so we perhaps can convince you.

DRAW ftw!

Edited by Nuriel

Hello, Allison.

I have to fully agree with some of the posters before me. This is an absolutely terrible idea. Even random determination as it is now, is much more fair than this. I'd go so far as to say that ANY kind of winner determination via some obscure formula incorporating any kinds of wz stats is just not fair from some particular point of view.

An exampe: I have already experienced quite a few voidstar matches, where our team was quite outgeared and still due to good teamwork, coordination etc. pp. and of course to vast mistakes of the opponents we somehow managed to protect the door, without basically killing anyone (they cut through us like butter and had like 30-40 kills pro person, while we had perhaps 10. Just to give you the idea, what I mean). Of course we ourselves had almost no real chance to take the door. So why would we be punished for achieving an actually great result against all odds, only because of the number of kills? Not fair. I could probably come with many different scenarios when other stats would be taken into account.

Based on this, I heavily appeal on you and the pvp development team, to please make a draw what it is, as some people before me also already said - a DRAW! I think with this you would make basically everyone happy and it would be absolutely fair.

Similar is the situation with huttball. It's not that unfair as it is now, that the team in ball posession wins if the match ends with the draw, but it is also a very bad design from my point of view, because it goes against all idea of huttball turning really great huttball matches into mindless deathmatches in the last 1-2 minutes. Please think about making a draw there a DRAW as well. This would be really fair and it would guarantee for really suspenseful matches with game-decisive scores or saves in the last seconds of the match.

I hope that many people will support the draw both for voidstar as perhaps for huttball as well in this thread, so we perhaps can convince you.

DRAW ftw!

+++++

+++++

YES. the point of defending is to protect the door, not kill as many people as possible.

If wins were decided by the most kills, the defending team will be encouraged to take risks (chasing the attacking team away from the door, LOSing heals to get a kill). Defending the doors is about taking as few risks as possible and by staying alive and close to the door to protect it. If we start chasing as many kills as possible, then we aren't defending in the optimal way, and therefore we should not be rewarded with a win.

The best way to resolve 0-0 is to call it a draw, give us the comms, and no rating change.

hello, allison.

I have to fully agree with some of the posters before me. This is an absolutely terrible idea in my humble opinion. Even random determination as it is now, is much more fair than this. I'd go so far as to say that any kind of winner determination via some obscure formula incorporating any kinds of wz stats is just not fair from some particular point of view.

An exampe: I have already experienced quite a few voidstar matches, where our team was quite outgeared and still due to good teamwork, coordination etc. Pp. And of course to vast mistakes of the opponents we somehow managed to protect the door, without basically killing anyone (they cut through us like butter and had like 30-40 kills pro person, while we had perhaps 10. Just to give you the idea, what i mean). Of course we ourselves had almost no real chance to take the door. So why would we be punished for achieving an actually great result against all odds, only because of the number of kills? Not fair. I could probably come with many different scenarios when other stats would be taken into account.

Based on this, i heavily appeal on you and the pvp development team, to please make a draw what it is, as some people before me also already said - a draw! I think with this you would make basically everyone happy and it would be absolutely fair.

Similar is the situation with huttball. It's not that unfair as it is now, that the team in ball posession wins if the match ends with the draw, but it is also a very bad design from my point of view, because it goes against all idea of huttball turning really great huttball matches into mindless deathmatches in the last 1-2 minutes. Please think about making a draw there a draw as well. This would be really fair and it would guarantee for really suspenseful matches with game-decisive scores or saves in the last seconds of the match.

draw ftw!

5/5 !

Wrong. Where do people get this stuff lol?

You see, my friend, for some people there exist a certain magical fantasy swtor where sorc can't heal or dps worth a damn, where marauders, while having the most defensive CD, does more damage compare to sniper and PTs, where juggernut has less survivability than its counterpart and operative has no utilities.

And there's the reality.

Swtor forum is like the line in between.

Edited by hyuplee

I always imagined that an objective-point-based (or medal-based) tiebreaker would be the more practical way to determine a win. On paper it sounds more effective at keeping people focussed on their original goal, instead of encouraging the "team deathmatch" mindset that much of the community want to eliminate.

Changing the future tiebreaker to kills instead of coinflips is a certain step in the right direction compared to the current state. Infinitely greater.

I am however wondering how much it'll have an impact on optimal team setups. Good teams (usually in ranked) will be bracing themselves for a 0-0 tie from the very beginning. This dynamic could very well make these 0-0 games into a win for one team from the very start.

Infact if a team knows that they have the edge for kills but are doubtful in their chances to plant, they could sit back without ever assaulting the doors when their turn comes.