(SPOILER!!!) 5.2 War on iokath, The Imperials are the best choice

Starwardino

Ok dont call me a f*cktard just yet (though i am one)

So my point is if you choose the Republic you Kill (SPOILERS) Empress Acina. which is a win for the republic but the downside is another Sith will take her place meaning maybe a more crazy sith might and he or she could see the Alliance is a threat and attack it straight on and attack the republic also

Who do you think the next emperor will be, my fingers are crossed its Darth Jadus, because Lana spoke of him as if he was still alive

Edited by Starwardino

I agree, I have a feeling both Malcom and Acina will be either dead or out of power by the time the Iokath campaign is over, so it won't really matter.

My main light side JC is the only one I am dragging through all this. I'm not dragging 8 other characters through this long slog, not even for my Trooper for his beloved Elara. (My headcannon is all the other characters pretty much retire, die, or lived happily ever after after Legacy). I play my main as 'what I would do if it were me in that situation according to my personal beliefs, moral compass, etc'

With that said, I must go with the Republic. True the Republic is corrupt, but it is still the democracy, while the Sith Empire is still the slave loving totalitarian 'Space Reich'. My personal opinion on the use of slavery and of totalitarian regimes is very low, so any opportunity to bring the Empire to it's knees I will take.

Honestly, I find the logic of 'Oh the Republic is corrupt' a very silly logic...what? and the Empire isn't? In the Empire storylines, particularly the Sith storylines, you find the Sith Lords and Empire Commanders spending more time sabotaging the Empire's own war effort in ego power plays than they do fighting the Republic...I'd say that's pretty corrupt. It's like the USA certainly had plenty of flaws during WWII and did plenty of terrible things to win the war, along with the rest of the Allies. However those flaws and terrible acts pale in comparison to the flaws and terrible acts committed by the Axis regimes..

Anyway back to the Iokath logic, by removing Acina, the Empire is weakened. No matter who the Dark Council replaces her with, the Empire is in no position to challenge the combined force of Republic and Alliance. If it were me, I would use this alliance to bring the Empire to it's knees and basically do the same thing the Allies did to the Axis powers after WWII. Remove the Dark Council from power, establish contact with the 'light side' Sith movement that was alluded to in the SW storyline and support or 'appoint' them as leaders until a democracy is established within the former Empire, similarly to the former WWII Axis powers.

It''s too bad BW changed the character of Acina from her KOTET personality. I thought she was an intriguing character in KOTET, but BW had to change her character to fit this Iokath storyline. She went from being a 'reform minded light side Sith' to typical power hungry back-stabbing Sith. Maybe her whole "I'm a reformed Sith' bit in KOTET was just an act so she could manipulate your light side self later.

Considering Acina violated your order not to go to Iokath...'a minor transgression'...hardly...I would consider making a grab for a super weapon that will be used against my alliance a serious transgression. Backstabbing for power gains is standard operating procedure for Sith so I would not trust her even if I did side with her. She would backstab me when the time came anyway. Better to remove her from power, defeat the Empire, then establish a more favorable government within it.

The only other character I would consider dragging through all this would be my LS SI and her response would be pretty much the same. The LS SI wanted to reform the Empire within based on her storyline, and siding with the Republic would cap that off, allowing her to establish a light side government in the Empire.

But all of this is meaningless as our Alliance commander is subject to the direction of BW storytelling. Now a possible direction that could be fun is that whatever side you choose, you defeat the other side...but then the Alliance is seen as a rival by the winning faction...thus starting a cold war.

Cheers

Edited by AndorianTJ

I'll have to replay that chapter, maybe Acina wasn't 'light side' per se, but she was definitely talking about reforms and how the old ways must change. Then again, as you say, that was just an act to gain our favor. A Sith saying 'We promise not to stab you in the back" is code for "We wont betray you now, but will stab you in the back later when the opportunity presents itself"

Acina was never a Lightside Sith. All she was selling you on Dromund Kaas was that the Sith Empire wouldn't stab you in the back.

Which she immediately does anyway once she finds out theres a superweapon on your turf that she wants. An ally would have contacted you, asked for help, tried to negotiate use of said weapon against their enemy... shes just lands a force with every intent to steal it behind your back and not even so much as call.

Edited by thepilk

The irony of it?

The #1 reason why I sided with the Republic over the Empire is because, while I like Acina, I can't trust the Empire with a superweapon. If a powerful upstart killed her, who knows what they would do with the superweapon!

Well.

Uh.

...at least they won't have the superweapon? Right all along!

Which she immediately does anyway once she finds out theres a superweapon on your turf that she wants. An ally would have contacted you, asked for help, tried to negotiate use of said weapon against their enemy... shes just lands a force with every intent to steal it behind your back and not even so much as call.

Caught with her hand in the cookie jar and the audacity to look you in the face and say

"would you like one of your own cookies that i'm helping myself to?"

"Which she immediately does anyway once she finds out theres a superweapon on your turf that she wants. An ally would have contacted you, asked for help, tried to negotiate use of said weapon against their enemy... shes just lands a force with every intent to steal it behind your back and not even so much as call. "

Even allies don't share superweapons with each other. When the U.S.A. developed the Atomic Bomb, did they share their technology with Great Britain, their ally in the fight vs. the Axis powers? No. Did they share it with Russia, who was also at the time, their "ally"? Hell, no.

"Which she immediately does anyway once she finds out theres a superweapon on your turf that she wants. An ally would have contacted you, asked for help, tried to negotiate use of said weapon against their enemy... shes just lands a force with every intent to steal it behind your back and not even so much as call. "

Even allies don't share superweapons with each other. When the U.S.A. developed the Atomic Bomb, did they share their technology with Great Britain, their ally in the fight vs. the Axis powers? No. Did they share it with Russia, who was also at the time, their "ally"? Hell, no.

I think it's one thing to develop weapons or technology on your own and not share them, it's another thing to invade your ally's territory and try to rob them.

Yes they did, the UK was part of the Manhattan project along with Canada

The Russians were never really "allies" more enemy of my enemy until that enemy is dead.

Rule of thumb about games -- pick the side you really want to play, the one your heart tells you to ( kind of like finding a real life spouse) -- you will never regret playing what you truly want to play; no regrets, republic all the way because it just feels right and this is just a game after all ....

the last time i wentthrough this was with my DS IA who hates force users. he specifically turned on the imperials to get at Acina, that was his only motivation. to use someone elses chaos to his advantage, like any good spy would :rolleyes:.

Hm, random sith vs my future father-in-law >.> nope, not siding with the Empire ever :p

Not wanting to go against my future father-in-law is why my SW sided with Republic. :p

The only thing I wish they could of have different with Quinn as a female character, was that instead of taking him back ONLY a romantic option, vs killing him or imprisoning him, was to just allowed him into the alliance and then have him confessed he still have feelings for you and to turn him down or whatever.

Male character can take him back with no problems with out being a romance option. :mad:

Well, he's now rotting in prison! :(

Not wanting to go against my future father-in-law is why my SW sided with Republic. :p

The only thing I wish they could of have different with Quinn as a female character, was that instead of taking him back ONLY a romantic option, vs killing him or imprisoning him, was to just allowed him into the alliance and then have him confessed he still have feelings for you and to turn him down or whatever.

Male character can take him back with no problems with out being a romance option. :mad:

Well, he's now rotting in prison! :(

That and the whole slave thing was why my SI sided with the Republic as well. :D When Acina is trying to convince me to join her and is all "you were once on the Dark Council, now you can go back to your roots" I'm like "oh, my roots as an Imperial slave...no."

I haven't taken my Quinn-mancing warrior through the expansions yet, I dunno if I will. It's a lot of time and work for such a tiny amount of content so far. I'm going to wait to see if it gets substantial enough to be worth it.