J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear

I like Revolution, I like the Star Trek movie - I am not a Star Trek Fan. I think he will do a decent job, I hope he does a great job. I cannot wait to see the new film although I would still feel the same way if Lucas was at the helm.

I would have preferred to see Joss Whedon at the helm with Nathan Fillion cameoing as a smuggler in a busted freighter.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A similar poll is running on ComingSoon.net with much different results.

What do you think of J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars: Episode VII?

Awesome news! May the Force be with him. - 56.1%

He'll do just fine, I'm not worried. - 24.6%

I'm not sure yet either way. - 11.1%

They probably could have gotten someone better. - 4.6%

Noooo! This is terrible news! - 3.7%

Total votes: 8618

Thats a big increase in Abrams favor from the Yahoo poll.

I would have preferred to see Joss Whedon at the helm with Nathan Fillion cameoing as a smuggler in a busted freighter.

The chance of Disney pulling Joss off the Avengers in the midst of such huge succsess, not likey, but no lie a Joss Whedon directed Star Wars would have been interesting and now that you mention cameos you got me wondering if they follow the typical pattern there has always been a few old school Hollywood icons to fill certain roles.

Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Billy Dee Williams, Christopher Lee, Samuel Jackson

Who would fill these roles in these new movies?

Edited by Hardwear

The chance of Disney pulling Joss off the Avengers in the midst of such huge succsess, not likey, but no lie a Joss Whedon directed Star Wars would have been interesting and now that you mention cameos you got me wondering if they follow the typical pattern there has always been a few old school Hollywood icons to fill certain roles.

Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Billy Dee Williams, Christopher Lee, Samuel Jackson

Who would fill these roles in these new movies?

Yes, I know. It would have been great though. I still would like to see Harrison Ford, Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher all have cameo's. They are probably at the right age. I would love to see the Rock in there as a hard *** trooper or bounty hunter with Sean William Scott as his side kick :D

Yes, I know. It would have been great though. I still would like to see Harrison Ford, Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher all have cameo's. They are probably at the right age. I would love to see the Rock in there as a hard *** trooper or bounty hunter with Sean William Scott as his side kick :D

You mean as in The Rundown. LOL

Well I don't know about that, but they would definately fill the role of comic relief I can't even look at SWS withought thinking "stiffmiester " would take them over Jar Jar all day. :D

..but the rumor is Hamil, Fisher and Ford have all been contacted and Harrison Ford surprisingly showed great interest which is odd, because he wanted to see his Han Solo character killed off in TESB.

Just rumors though.

Edited by Hardwear

You mean as in The Rundown. LOL

Well I don't know about that, but they would definately fill the role of comic relief I can't even look at SWS withought thinking "stiffmiester " would take them over Jar Jar all day. :D

..but the rumor is Hamil, Fisher and Ford have all been contacted and Harrison Ford surprisingly showed great interest which is odd, because he wanted to see his Han Solo character killed off in TESB.

Just rumors though.

i think he realizes he is getting too old for Indiana Jones, but he sees A LOT more $$$ with star wars, plus i feel like it could be passing the baton to the new characters.

i would love to see luke running the jedi academy and would absolutely LOVE seeing kyle katarn in at least one of the movies

i think he realizes he is getting too old for Indiana Jones, but he sees A LOT more $$$ with star wars, plus i feel like it could be passing the baton to the new characters.

i would love to see luke running the jedi academy and would absolutely LOVE seeing kyle katarn in at least one of the movies

My feelings are mixed about the prospect of the original cast returning, but here's one of the articles from last November that started the rumors flying.

Among all the other opinionated, guess-timation in your posts I found your latest conjecture highlighted in yellow the most interesting.

"make no mistake" "just accept it" "its the same thing as with the trek movie" Why? ..because you said so?

This is the internet and though I realize that people feel empowered by anonymity don't go thinking people will "just accept" anything you or anyone else says without some type of reliability, validity or citation to backup your argument.

dont have to accept what i say. instead you can go learn a bit about how movies are made, the proccess on how they are made. Arbams is Producer/Director, his partner Burk is a producer and JJ's production company Bad Robot is the production company. for anyone to argue that JJ is just going to be basically directing actors is just crazy. again, learn how movies are made, the whole proccess from start to finish. then you will understand what all those tittles mean and you wont have to take my word for it or "accept" what i say. or, you and others can keep believing that Kennedy and Lucasfilm are creating everything and JJ is hired on just to direct actor performances.

its all good him doing but what comes first star wars or star trek 3 ??......

My guess is Star Wars. Took them 4 years between the two Star Trek movies, don't think that will go faster with the next one, especially since he J.J. Abrams said he is leabing Star Trek, so that needs a new director first.

dont have to accept what i say. instead you can go learn a bit about how movies are made, the proccess on how they are made. Arbams is Producer/Director, his partner Burk is a producer and JJ's production company Bad Robot is the production company. for anyone to argue that JJ is just going to be basically directing actors is just crazy. again, learn how movies are made, the whole proccess from start to finish. then you will understand what all those tittles mean and you wont have to take my word for it or "accept" what i say. or, you and others can keep believing that Kennedy and Lucasfilm are creating everything and JJ is hired on just to direct actor performances.
Will you just accept that Kennedy and Lucasfilm are co-producing? Its a fact! And no one is saying J.J is just a director, but he doesn't have absolute power either. Far from it.

And that poll looks positive, nice to see people like MiaRB are the minority. :rolleyes:

Can't sink any lower than the Phantom Menace. Just saw it on TV and man that was one atrocious movie. Bad Acting [from excellent actors so you know something is Fd up] bad storytelling, Jar Jar, the list goes on.
Lol, true, you can't really get any worse than Jar Jar. You have to admit though the end fight scene was awesome.

And Ian McDiarmid as always, was great. :)

Edited by Beniboybling

IGN

Wired

USA TODAY

So what does ToR community think of the news, Abrams was obviously good for Star Trek is he just as well suited for Star Wars or do you think one guy taking on two of most iconic space franchises in history is too much for one guy?

Also with the immanent marketing zerg in the wake of these new movies what will be the effect on ToR since this is the only MMO representation of the galaxy far far away?

Will EA/Bioware be able to capitalize "hopefully in a good way"?

SWTOR is the only MMO representation of the galaxy far far away if you mean in terms of servers being alive yes. I predict no effect on SWTOR since the movies will not take place pre-skywalker era they take place after Luke becomes Grand Jedi Master, as the only jedi that are left is Luke and Leia(At least as far as we know). I do predict a new SW mmo, made for SW 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 movies. Now this will effect SWTOR in a bad way, a possibility of losing costumers, declines etc. It will bring competition between the two SW mmos to get the best out of each other which is effecting in a good way.

Can't sink any lower than the Phantom Menace. Just saw it on TV and man that was one atrocious movie. Bad Acting [from excellent actors so you know something is Fd up] bad storytelling, Jar Jar, the list goes on.

So you must be this guy:

Will you just accept that Kennedy and Lucasfilm are co-producing? Its a fact! And no one is saying J.J is just a director, but he doesn't have absolute power either. Far from it.

And that poll looks positive, nice to see people like MiaRB are the minority. :rolleyes:

not sure why you are hung up on Kennedy/lucasfilm co-producing. yes that is true. that is not the issue. the issue is... this isnt ESB where lucas was creating everything with someone else directing the shooting of the movie. im sure youve seen any of the "making off" vids, where you see lucas and his people from lucasfilm doing story boards and all that stuff. well, that is what JJ and his group will be doing amoung other things. the movie will be JJ's vision and its foolish to try to diminish how big of a role he has.

not sure why you are hung up on Kennedy/lucasfilm co-producing. yes that is true. that is not the issue. the issue is... this isnt ESB where lucas was creating everything with someone else directing the shooting of the movie. im sure youve seen any of the "making off" vids, where you see lucas and his people from lucasfilm doing story boards and all that stuff. well, that is what JJ and his group will be doing amoung other things. the movie will be JJ's vision and its foolish to try to diminish how big of a role he has.
Of course Lucasfilm and Lucas are not as involved as before. If anything that's a good thing, Star Wars needs knew people and knew ideas. But J.J Abrams is not in complete control like he was with Star Trek, its not going to be entirely his vision. Ardnt has already begun writing the story and there are other people onboard as well. And unlike with Star Trek, he's co-producing, with the company that owns Star Wars, which gives him only a certain amount of power. (He kinda has to do what they say.)

Personally what I feel is really important is the story, and that's in the hands of Micheal Ardnt, George Lucas and the other consultants. I trust J.J Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy to pick the right actors and the right sets. And ultimately Abrams is human, I expect he's very daunted at the prospect of making the next Star Wars film, his entire career is on the line. If I were him I'd listen to the experts, who are willing to give him plenty of advice and guidance and produce with him. This is all he needs so he doesn't 'ruin' the feel of Star Wars like he apparently did with Star Trek. Although the screenplay is mainly in Ardnt's hands...

Basically from what everyone's being saying, I have high hopes for Abrams, but I also have worries. However I trust those working with him to guide him down the right path and make an excellent movie. And unless Abrams is an egoistical idiot I doubt he is going to refuse there advice and assistance.

dont have to accept what i say. instead you can go learn a bit about how movies are made, the proccess on how they are made. Arbams is Producer/Director, his partner Burk is a producer and JJ's production company Bad Robot is the production company. for anyone to argue that JJ is just going to be basically directing actors is just crazy. again, learn how movies are made, the whole proccess from start to finish. then you will understand what all those tittles mean and you wont have to take my word for it or "accept" what i say.

"learn how movies are made"

Oh I should have seen this one coming. LOL

The heart of your argument is based on hyperbole which ultimately ends in telling me to go learn how movies are made.

So typical this is the standard reaction from people who have no argument.

If this were any type of "official" inquiry your argument would have been thrown out from the first post.

Within Lucasfilm is a little division known as Industrial Light & Magic founded in 1975 these guys are the pioneers of special effects.

Other then Weta Workshop they have no peers.

Like many special effects heavy movies Star Trek was done by ILM, because Bad Robot doesn't have the capability.

Bad Robot founded in 1998 by comparison is still in its toddler stage compared to Lucasfilm whom Kennedy is now chairman of which is just another reason why JJ won't have as much control as you seem to think and more importantly can't prove.

you and others can keep believing that Kennedy and Lucasfilm are creating everything and JJ is hired on just to direct or performances

Please feel free to point out and highlight any of my previous posts where I say JJ is not co-producing the new movie.

Edited by Hardwear

this isnt ESB where lucas was creating everything with someone else directing the shooting of the movie. im sure youve seen any of the "making off" vids, where you see lucas and his people from lucasfilm doing story boards and all that stuff. well, that is what JJ and his group will be doing amoung other things. the movie will be JJ's vision and its foolish to try to diminish how big of a role he has.

JJ isn't George Lucas and as I pointed out and explained a few pages back he is one of a kind there will likely never be a director with that much control especially not in this case.

Edited by Hardwear

Hi,

Well J.J. Abrams is good choice for new SW movie but always bare in your mind he will NEVER bee as good as MR George Lucas never, so J.J. only can learn from Lucas or ask advice from him, but I read that MR George Lucas himself approve J.J. as very good director, so wen hi says he is good that there is nothing more to doubt.

Hi,

Well J.J. Abrams is good choice for new SW movie but always bare in your mind he will NEVER bee as good as MR George Lucas never, so J.J. only can learn from Lucas or ask advice from him, but I read that MR George Lucas himself approve J.J. as very good director, so wen hi says he is good that there is nothing more to doubt.

Abrams is already a much better director than Lucas.

Not so sure about that. Lucas lost it in the last years, but on his prime he was brilliant. J.J. Abrams is not bad, but not even close to what Lucas once was.

Likewise, and just to correct MR George Lucas is still in his best not ''once was''...

The clone wars series prove that easily...

Edited by sandisrd

For those of you not happy with the choice that's been made regarding the Director, show your displeasure by not going to see episode seven once it's released. Vote with your wallet, it's very simple. Either way you slice it, he is the next Director.

I for one, will thoroughly enjoy it. ;)

For those of you not happy with the choice that's been made regarding the Director, show your displeasure by not going to see episode seven once it's released. Vote with your wallet, it's very simple. Either way you slice it, he is the next Director.

I for one, will thoroughly enjoy it. ;)

I'm with you 100%. I think Abrams was the perfect call. I can't imagine anything or anyone better. Disney will expect at least $2.5 billion global sales with this film. Anything less, and heads will roll, so there will be a lot of pressure on any director, and few could pull off a good film and still be what most of us expect as Star Wars fans.

Star Wars will be evolving into films what they aleady do in books. Authors sign on to contribute a book here and there.....the same will happen with directors. Within 20 years, there will be Star Wars movies in much the same way that there are many, many novels out now. Literary purists think the Star Wars books are terrible for literarture. But I love evey one of them. The same will be said about the movies. Film purists will be upset at the Lucasfilm/Disney machine. But for fans like me, and I would say many people reading here, it's a match made in heaven.

I love the pick of J.J. Abrams directing a Star Wars film because I want to see what he can do. I have been a fan of his since Cloverfield. I want to see Jaina Solo fighting a J.J. Abrams monster!!!!! I'm willing to put my money down right now just for a chance at a scene like that.