warzone game lag

gabonesantal

Didn't really know where to post this so xD

Ive just returned to the game after 7 months and I've noticed i'm lagging alot in pvp warzone. This never happened before for me in this game and doesn't happen anywhere else except pvp. I tried lowering settings a bit but it still lags a lot.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by gabonesantal

Ive just returned to the game after 7 months and I've noticed i'm lagging alot in pvp warzone. This never happened before for me in this game and doesn't happen anywhere else except pvp. I tried lowering settings a bit but it still lags a lot.

Any ideas? Thanks.

long time ago, I pushed settings higher and performance improved on that computer although when I reduced stuff, it caused more stagger and lag effects it was so peculiar.

Try tinkering with settings all I can say.

long time ago, I pushed settings higher and performance improved on that computer although when I reduced stuff, it caused more stagger and lag effects it was so peculiar.

Try tinkering with settings all I can say.

That sounds counter productive. How can pushing the game settings higher improve performance? Or are you suggesting turning them up and then down again?

That sounds counter productive. How can pushing the game settings higher improve performance? Or are you suggesting turning them up and then down again?

Nope on that PC, if I reduced settings the game would stutter more and perform worse. So I put certain settings on high and overall the game would run better. I don't have that issue now with my new PC.

Nope on that PC, if I reduced settings the game would stutter more and perform worse. So I put certain settings on high and overall the game would run better. I don't have that issue now with my new PC.

Was it a laptop and did it have onboard CPU graphics as well as a seperate graphics card/chip?

I ask because the only reason I can see for that to happen as you describe is the system was defaulting to the onboard graphics first and jumping back and forth between the two to save power.

By turning up the graphics in the game, the system would have realised the onboard couldn’t handle it and just used the graphics card/chip instead.

That’s the only way I can see that occurring.

I was suspecting something like that - lowering settings makes it worse. But I'm not sure yet as FPS drops randomly on same machine for long time. Usually something after 8 pm GMT it will be extra laggy.

P.S. There is explanation though, "lowering" means using ANOTHER shader with lower quality designed output. Nobody said it will same good optimized as another "better" shader. So it is possible to have situation when "lower" quality works worse then "bigger" quality for many reasons. Simple example: on modern CPU per 1 byte looping will be slower then per 8 bytes looping.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Welcome back. I’ve also had unusually high ping today (Mar 10, 2020), and especially in warzones. For some context, I usually hover around 32ms, today I didn’t get under 150ms. In warzones I was hitting upwards of 2000ms or just “red x”.

I ran some cmd prompt traces to the swtor ips, and best I could tell, I was having some issues along a few hops between myself and the swtor server. I’m in eastern Canada. If you are as well, I’d bet we’re in the same boat. If not, I can’t help you out too much as I didn’t do anymore troubleshooting beyond those traces.

One thing I don’t get is why the lag/ping is consistantly worse in warzones. BW can push these issues off their plate by blaming user ISPs, and I get that. But for it to be consistantly worse in warzones is BW’s issue, as far as I can understand.

Welcome back. I’ve also had unusually high ping today (Mar 10, 2020), and especially in warzones. For some context, I usually hover around 32ms, today I didn’t get under 150ms. In warzones I was hitting upwards of 2000ms or just “red x”.

I ran some cmd prompt traces to the swtor ips, and best I could tell, I was having some issues along a few hops between myself and the swtor server. I’m in eastern Canada. If you are as well, I’d bet we’re in the same boat. If not, I can’t help you out too much as I didn’t do anymore troubleshooting beyond those traces.

One thing I don’t get is why the lag/ping is consistantly worse in warzones. BW can push these issues off their plate by blaming user ISPs, and I get that. But for it to be consistantly worse in warzones is BW’s issue, as far as I can understand.

Ping in pvp shouldn’t be any different to PvE. Of course it can feel more laggy because the FPS gets hit harder in pvp.

Also, consider using PingPlotter instead of tracerts because you can run it in the back ground and see live what’s happening at each hop. Makes identifying ping issues really easy.

Any ideas? Thanks.

update your driver vga

Ping in pvp shouldn’t be any different to PvE. Of course it can feel more laggy because the FPS gets hit harder in pvp.

Also, consider using PingPlotter instead of tracerts because you can run it in the back ground and see live what’s happening at each hop. Makes identifying ping issues really easy.

I agree that there should be no negligible difference in ping, no matter what content one is running once connected to the server. And truth is I run far more PvP instances than PvE these days, so I’m sure it’s possible it only seems worse in warzones to me. I also realize the OP described their issues in terms of FPS as well as latency, so I’m at fault for conflating the two when relating my experiences by not being clearer.

With that in mind, I am not having FPS issues. The problems I am having are to do with ping. These issues are worse (for whatever reason) when in warzones. It could very well be similar in all grouped or instanced environments; but, I can only speak to warzones vs strongholds. While my ping had been higher than normal outside of warzones; inside, I jumped to over 1-2000ms with a few “running-in-place-red x-disconnects-then-everything-going-super-fast-at-once-catch-ups”.

I have run live traces and it seems like I’m losing packets and having increased ping outside my country on the way to swtor servers. I can accept that my ISP's fibre connection which normally gets 32ms to the game decides to route to places experiencing disruptions about once every one-and-a-half months (the frequency with which this seems to happen with swtor).

What’s odd about it is I don’t experience issues outside the game, and more specifically (I’ll stress here that this is my specific experience with warzones vs stronghold) it’s worse in warzones. And as that pertains to the title of the thread, it prompted me to respond. If only to commiserate. This is only a hand raised, and a “me too”.

I am currently sitting at ~35ms and have no issues. The next time I encounter this issue, I can post pingplotter logs. Maybe even do some tiny sample size, anecdotal experiments.

I agree that there should be no negligible difference in ping, no matter what content one is running once connected to the server. And truth is I run far more PvP instances than PvE these days, so I’m sure it’s possible it only seems worse in warzones to me. I also realize the OP described their issues in terms of FPS as well as latency, so I’m at fault for conflating the two when relating my experiences by not being clearer.

With that in mind, I am not having FPS issues. The problems I am having are to do with ping. These issues are worse (for whatever reason) when in warzones. It could very well be similar in all grouped or instanced environments; but, I can only speak to warzones vs strongholds. While my ping had been higher than normal outside of warzones; inside, I jumped to over 1-2000ms with a few “running-in-place-red x-disconnects-then-everything-going-super-fast-at-once-catch-ups”.

I have run live traces and it seems like I’m losing packets and having increased ping outside my country on the way to swtor servers. I can accept that my ISP's fibre connection which normally gets 32ms to the game decides to route to places experiencing disruptions about once every one-and-a-half months (the frequency with which this seems to happen with swtor).

What’s odd about it is I don’t experience issues outside the game, and more specifically (I’ll stress here that this is my specific experience with warzones vs stronghold) it’s worse in warzones. And as that pertains to the title of the thread, it prompted me to respond. If only to commiserate. This is only a hand raised, and a “me too”.

I am currently sitting at ~35ms and have no issues. The next time I encounter this issue, I can post pingplotter logs. Maybe even do some tiny sample size, anecdotal experiments.

The reason you aren’t experiencing this out of the game is because it’s how you ISP is choosing to route you to the game.

This is not done maliciously towards Swtor of course, but through an automated algorithm based on commercial paring agreements they have with backhaul companies once it leaves their own network.

The thing to remember is every destination is different and depending one where it is, you might or might not get routed the same as you do to swtor. Which is why you may not have any issues with anything else.

Unfortunately the company maybe routing the traffic to the game through some bad hops that have some bad hardware at the moment.

There is another issue that can affect internet. Every company can use different hardware vendors and sometimes going from one backhaul to another or isp to the backhaul can cause some issues (I won’t go into it because it’s pretty technical).

This can cause packet loss and ping spikes if they don’t mitigate it or something breaks and they need to use another route that has small compatibility issues or isn’t optimised for the same traffic.

• 8 months later...
I'm pretty sure it's latency & server-side lag. I had matches earlier where I'd get hit by someone around the corner a good 1.5 secs before they came to me around the corner and casted it. I also played 4 years ago, and it didn't lag at all. None of these issues, and I had a far worse PC back then. From what I've experienced, PvP is horrible in this game currently unless, probably, you're close to 1 U.S. server location. (I'm in mid-Florida) With the US servers only in Virginia, I'm betting PvP is only enjoyable for those close to Virginia. Anywho, I won't be logging in anymore.

I'm pretty sure it's latency & server-side lag. I had matches earlier where I'd get hit by someone around the corner a good 1.5 secs before they came to me around the corner and casted it. I also played 4 years ago, and it didn't lag at all. None of these issues, and I had a far worse PC back then. From what I've experienced, PvP is horrible in this game currently unless, probably, you're close to 1 U.S. server location. (I'm in mid-Florida) With the US servers only in Virginia, I'm betting PvP is only enjoyable for those close to Virginia. Anywho, I won't be logging in anymore.

You should try playing from Australia. I’d love to be located a state away from the server.

I don't think that this was exclusive to you this weekend. I experienced random server spikes all weekend which created serious lag for a few seconds....then went back to normal. It was not exclusive to pvp warzones also. This has only happened to me on one other occasion and it was before the last patch. Not sure if that is truly the case but it is the only thing I can figure. Normally I have no problem EVER with lag. This has only started happening recently.

I don't think that this was exclusive to you this weekend. I experienced random server spikes all weekend which created serious lag for a few seconds....then went back to normal. It was not exclusive to pvp warzones also. This has only happened to me on one other occasion and it was before the last patch. Not sure if that is truly the case but it is the only thing I can figure. Normally I have no problem EVER with lag. This has only started happening recently.

Or because I had forgotten to update my video card, which I did yesterday, and lag spikes stopped. Sucks getting old, I thought I had already done it. :eek: