Any benefit to staying 50?

Dormancy

I left SWTOR 10 months ago, and still have characters at 50. My main in particular has very good level 50 gear for both PvE and PvP. I recently resubscribed but haven't yet bought the expansion.

My question to those who never left SWTOR: Is there any benefit at all to staying at 50? For example, does the WH set provide an advantage versus a bolstered warzone opponent? Are there things I can't do once I level past 50?

I left SWTOR 10 months ago, and still have characters at 50. My main in particular has very good level 50 gear for both PvE and PvP. I recently resubscribed but haven't yet bought the expansion.

My question to those who never left SWTOR: Is there any benefit at all to staying at 50? For example, does the WH set provide an advantage versus a bolstered warzone opponent? Are there things I can't do once I level past 50?

There is no expertise on old PvP gear, if there was, it would hamper you in PvP. There is no benefit in staying 50. You can't do any new content. It's all geared for 55, like most expansions.

My question to those who never left SWTOR: Is there any benefit at all to staying at 50? For example, does the WH set provide an advantage versus a bolstered warzone opponent?

Nope.

With WH or EWH you have no advantage.

Are there things I can't do once I level past 50?

There is only one thing: You can't be level 50.

:)

Edited by discbox

My question to those who never left SWTOR: Is there any benefit at all to staying at 50? For example, does the WH set provide an advantage versus a bolstered warzone opponent?

No, there is no advantage to staying level 50.

Are there things I can't do once I level past 50?

Well you can't equip the highest level gear.

You can't get the last five points to spend on your spec.

You can't explore Makeb (Mixed bag this one)

Actually that's it.

For pvp, if you stay 50, you could stay in the 30-54 bracket forever. No gear grind, no augments and stims required. It's bliss, in a way. I actually seriously considered doing this. In some ways, I regret buying the expansion.

You just don't get the new ability acquired at 51.

Besides what was said above, you will notice that you have a gimped skill tree at 50, because you lost things you could skill into in the other two trees in order to get back to your 31 (now 36) point talent.

On the other hand, one thing to keep in mind is that your stats right now, as you are geared at 50, are better than you will ever see them again for a long, long time. If you keep wearing what you have on now and just level straight to 55, you will have worse stats all round at 55 than you did at 45 (with the exception of higher HP).

That's because above 50 they put in a stupidly punitive new DR curve that means your stats rapidly go into the toilet with each new level, until you have gotten to 55 and grinded through all four new gear tiers (and even then, your stats are still going to suck compared to what you had at 50 pre-ROTHC, other than having higher HP).

So, if you like working to level up and seeing your character suck more and more the higher you go, then you have that to look forward to.

Edited by Heezdedjim

If you are in full DG....the stat weights at 50 are monstrous.

Combined with the bolster effect in the 1-54 bracket and you get faceroll pwnage.

I read something about crafted purples being bolstered as if they were greens, but it was a bug about to be fixed. Is the DG bolstering a bug too? I'm seriously considering having a second account just to keep some alts at 50, and getting RotH for my mains.

has stuff on makeb

2 ops

and new armor

other wise thats it lol even the flash points for level 55 are reused

And higher level crafting.

GSI dailies on various planets.

Scavenger hunt quest chains : Macrobinocular and Dread seed and new quests coming

New 55 FP's coming next month.

New 55 OPs the month after.

Redesigned skill trees require higher levels to complete.

So there's a bit more really.

And higher level crafting

You can hit 450 on crew skills at any level. You do not need to be 55, or 50, or any other minimum level to train the advanced skills. You might need to pay for the expac; but I'm not even sure that is required.

You can hit 450 on crew skills at any level. You do not need to be 55, or 50, or any other minimum level to train the advanced skills. You might need to pay for the expac; but I'm not even sure that is required.

It is required. And if he buys the xpac then he won't be staying level 50 for very long.

I've read everything I can find online about Bolstering, but am still confused how exactly it works. I've gathered that it bolsters you based on your current stats/gear rather than character level (right?). I read that at 55, someone with 0 expertise gets bolstered to just below Partisan level gear in warzones (is that right, too?).

Note that I'm still 50, not 55. And I just noticed in my last warzone that I have 4k more health AND about 200 more expertise in my PvE Rakata gear, than in my BM/WH gear.

So who has the advantage (if any) in these 1v1 scenarios: I assume Maria will win each time but how does Bolster work on Bob?

1) Bob in full level 50 Recruit gear VS Maria in full level 50 augmented Elite War Hero.

2) Bob in full Tionese VS Maria in full augmented EWH.

3) Bob naked VS Maria in full augmented EWH.

PS. 4) If Maria leveled to 55 and joined the 55 PvP bracket, would her augmented EWH get Bolstered too and make her facepwn everything in sight?

Help please, thanks.

I've read everything I can find online about Bolstering, but am still confused how exactly it works. I've gathered that it bolsters you based on your current stats/gear rather than character level (right?). I read that at 55, someone with 0 expertise gets bolstered to just below Partisan level gear in warzones (is that right, too?).

Note that I'm still 50, not 55. And I just noticed in my last warzone that I have 4k more health AND about 200 more expertise in my PvE Rakata gear, than in my BM/WH gear.

So who has the advantage (if any) in these 1v1 scenarios: I assume Maria will win each time but how does Bolster work on Bob?

1) Bob in full level 50 Recruit gear VS Maria in full level 50 augmented Elite War Hero.

2) Bob in full Tionese VS Maria in full augmented EWH.

3) Bob naked VS Maria in full augmented EWH.

PS. 4) If Maria leveled to 55 and joined the 55 PvP bracket, would her augmented EWH get Bolstered too and make her facepwn everything in sight?

Help please, thanks.

SUB-55, having expertise on gear will hurt you. Bioware removed expertise from WH/EWH - but not from BM.

Ergo: Bob's stats will tank because recruit still has expertise.

2. Maria's stats will be higher. War Hero is basically the same as campaign now, and EWH is essentialy the same as Dreadguard. so it becomes tionese vs fully augged DG.

3. You can figure that out for yourself.

4. You will be bolstered at 55, yes, but not to "facepwnage" levels. You will be given enough stats and expertise to be "competitive".

SUB-55, having expertise on gear will hurt you. Bioware removed expertise from WH/EWH - but not from BM.

Ergo: Bob's stats will tank because recruit still has expertise.

2. Maria's stats will be higher. War Hero is basically the same as campaign now, and EWH is essentialy the same as Dreadguard. so it becomes tionese vs fully augged DG.

3. You can figure that out for yourself.

4. You will be bolstered at 55, yes, but not to "facepwnage" levels. You will be given enough stats and expertise to be "competitive".

Thanks, this was helpful but also still fairly vague. I know I'm probably overthinking, but I don't want to level up and then regret it afterward. I guess I'm looking for specifics, like what you said in #2 above:

IS

naked > recruit > BM > WH > EWH

=

naked > columi > rakata > campaign

=

naked > partisan > and so on...

SUCH THAT, regardless of level and due to bolster:

naked = naked = naked

recruit = columi = partisan

Is this how it works? Or close to it? Or am I way off? Getting "free invisible expertise" is mind boggling to me.