Marauder Or Sniper- Best option for my raid group?

TridusSWTOR

Hey all

So I been raiding with this new group for a bit and they asked me to be on my sniper for the most part. Our current group make up is:

Powertech DPS

Merc DPS

Sorc DPS

Sniper DPS(me)

I personally think this is a bit heavy on the ranged DPS and a marauder's bloodthirst and heals might help the group overall. I can play both AC's at high levels, it's just a matter of which AC do you think is the best for the long run?

Strange you dont have mara in raid, at least for inspiration. We've been running with one sentinel before, now we switched to 2 of them (shadow left the game). And I'll be hones with you - damage increase is huge. Makes everything easyer.

But, sniper is fun as well, so if you enjoy it, stick with it. Make somebody else go mara, for example that PT :D

Normally it's easier to run with a ranged heavy group for raids. But a well balanced group will get farther in some cases depending how they have set up the different bosses. Most MMO boss fights tend to be harder on melee classes over ranged. But as others have stated play what you enjoy most, both are fun classes to play and have different utilities that are equally useful.

• 1 month later...
Strange you dont have mara in raid, at least for inspiration. We've been running with one sentinel before, now we switched to 2 of them (shadow left the game). And I'll be hones with you - damage increase is huge. Makes everything easyer.

But, sniper is fun as well, so if you enjoy it, stick with it. Make somebody else go mara, for example that PT :D

Hmmm... This may not be your intent, but I felt a bit of hypocrisy in your comment. You said that you play whatever makes you happy, then you said the PT should go mara. Why the PT? Why not the sorc or the merc? I just find it aggravating (as a dual spec PT, tank or DPS whatever is needed) that people think that classes that can tank can't DPS. PTs can DPS just as well as any other dual spec class, and in some instances, better.

• 1 month later...

The Marauder brings Bloodthirst, which will help with burst DPS (it does very little for DPS over time). The Sniper brings Ballistic Shield, which will help quite a bit with raid healing. Pick your poison.

The main question you should be asking yourself here is melee vs ranged. The truth is that there aren't a lot of reasons to bring melee on current content, which is a crying shame. TfB Kephess and Dash'roode are about the only fights where melee are advantaged over ranged. On everything else, ranged is going to have some significant mechanical advantages.

My guild runs three ranged and one melee, usually. We've been known to take a second melee, but we don't like to unless there's a really compelling reason. We very frequently run four ranged (four 3k+ gunslingers makes very short work of nearly anything). We do like to have a fairly balanced comp w.r.t. utility, but we make no bones about being ranged heavy.

Which class do you personally like better: sniper or marauder? On which one do you parse higher? Is your Sniper marksman, or does it use one of the other three specs (which have issues on certain fights)?

I'd honestly say you should go sniper and the PT should go mara. I don't always use melee DPS, but when I do, it's mara/sent because of very high damage, and of course Inspiration/Bloodthirst.

Sniper just flat out puts out more damage consistently, and ranged is a utility all on its own. Even on a fight like Dash'roode since killing the adds is much more important in my mind than maximum DPS on the boss, and orbital strike kinda lets you do both simultaneously, in addition to providing easy target switching.

Still, all that said, two melee isn't gonna be all that detrimental so if you prefer Mara, go with that. Your group will thank you for the inspiration if nothing else.