Game keeps changing screen refresh rate

HekaHeh

Hello there,

maybe someone has had this problem and knows a solution:

I normally run the game <fullscreen (windowed)> with no problems.

I've set it to 120hz refresh rate ingame (settings file shows the same) - for image quality / blb reasons.

Yet every time I start the game, it jumps back to 144hz

It actually makes the nvidia driver jump to 144hz despite the fact I've set 120hz there too - no other game I own acts like that. I have to get out of the game, into the driver, set it back to 120hz every time.

This does not happen when using <fullscreen>. It even jumps back to 120hz ingame when changing

<fullscreen (windowed)> to <fullscreen>. The ingame settings however always show constant 120hz refresh rate.

What the heck is going on? :rak_02:

I have the same issue. Because of back and neck problems, I play using a 65" TV so I can be seated in my recliner. My TV is a 60Hz refresh with a simulated 120Hz. Every time I launch SWTOR, Nvidia switches the refresh to 120Hz. SWTOR is the only game that it does this on.

Unfortunately, there is no longer an option in the Nvidia controls to force a particular refresh. The only options are "let the application decide" or "use highest available". I've set SWTOR to limit the refresh to 60hz, but that has had zero effect.

My current workaround is to launch SWTOR, alt+tab to the Nvidia CP, and change the refresh rate manually. Sucks that I have to do this every time. And sometimes I forget and it freaks out after a while. An actual fix would be swell. It just seems like a SWTOR issue since this is the ONLY game it happens with.

An obvious question - is your monitor capable of doing 120Hz?

And, just because it can do 144Hz does not mean it can do 120Hz.

Valid question, but yes, it does. SWTOR is unfortunately the only game that acts weird like that -

and as a mmo with a lot of alt-tab to desktop at times I'd very much prefer to play <fullscreen (windowed)>.

To again specify, <fullscreen> and <windowed> intriguingly work without any problems.

And yes, I basically run all my games usually <fullscreen (windowed)> (for alt-tabbing-reasons).

My current workaround is to launch SWTOR, alt+tab to the Nvidia CP, and change the refresh rate manually. Sucks that I have to do this every time. And sometimes I forget and it freaks out after a while. An actual fix would be swell. It just seems like a SWTOR issue since this is the ONLY game it happens with.

^This is exactly what I do. Annoying, but sufficient for the moment I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I found a fix, albeit an extreme one. For other reasons, I found it necessary to reinstall Windows 10. Now it does not change the refresh rate. I can just open the game and go. Weird, but at least I killed two birds with one stone, lol

Here's a good workaround:

Get yourself a second monitor. It can be an older, used 4:3 monitor, such as a 15" or 17" lcd. Then you can put whatever it is you are alt-tab'ing to, on the second monitor, and avoid alt-tab'ing. 🤔

You were very vague about why you want to run at 120Hz instead of 144Hz. Why not just set it to 144?

Edited by JediQuaker

Here's a good workaround:

Get yourself a second monitor. It can be an older, used 4:3 monitor, such as a 15" or 17" lcd. Then you can put whatever it is you are alt-tab'ing to, on the second monitor, and avoid alt-tab'ing. 🤔

You were very vague about why you want to run at 120Hz instead of 144Hz. Why not just set it to 144?

It's super amusing always seeing people wanting reasons for doing stuff.

I could just say "cuz I can" or "120 is my lucky number" :rak_03:

The actual reason is, my monitor "fogs out" on 144Hz - hard to describe, but the picture gets somewhat foggy (bright/washed) in the down-right corner of the screen. That's why I'm running it at 120Hz, where this effect is not visible at all. And please, spare me the "get a new monitor then" - advices, it works perfectly fine besides that flaw :D

It's super amusing always seeing people wanting reasons for doing stuff.

I could just say "cuz I can" or "120 is my lucky number" :rak_03:

The actual reason is, my monitor "fogs out" on 144Hz - hard to describe, but the picture gets somewhat foggy (bright/washed) in the down-right corner of the screen. That's why I'm running it at 120Hz, where this effect is not visible at all. And please, spare me the "get a new monitor then" - advices, it works perfectly fine besides that flaw :D

It's super amusing always seeing people wanting help for their PC without giving specifics.

And why the tone anyways? He's just trying to think in solutions here. He didn't deserve such an attitude from you really.

It's super amusing always seeing people wanting help for their PC without giving specifics.

And why the tone anyways? He's just trying to think in solutions here. He didn't deserve such an attitude from you really.

Yah, you're absolutely right. Kinda had a rough week. Sorry for the attitude there.

This problem is just really showing up with SWTOR (at least for me and Norag, as it seems), so I didn't think I had to be too specific about anything around it besides the fact that the game keeps "disrespecting" my graphical driver's settings and jumping to the max. refresh rate possible, despite even in the ingame settings and the settings file it shows to be at 120Hz.

I think I just give up on it. Many thanks for the advice anyways :)

despite even in the ingame settings and the settings file it shows to be at 120Hz.

I think I just give up on it. Many thanks for the advice anyways :)

If you want the video card/monitor to only run at 120Hz then create an EDID override and only list up to 120Hz - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Edited by OwenBrooks

If you want the video card/monitor to only run at 120Hz then create an EDID override and only list up to 120Hz - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

VERY NICE! Many thanks, that is actually what I was looking for the whole time, even though it's kind of a rough fix.

Works like a charm now, as the game no longer has a chance to force the monitor/GPU up to the 144Hz :D

Guess I've to redo this with every nvidia driver update, but this fix (deleting the 144Hz option) is actually very easy to pull off with the program in the link.

Thanks again!