Pointless complaint

TMBRLZ

Not that this can be changed - but I would like to say -

The use of Mandalorian styled republic soldier/trooper armor is ENTIRELY UNCANON!

That armor styling wasn't adopted until the Clone Wars when the Grand Army of the Republic was created from the genetics and training of a MANDALORIAN.

Why didn't you stick to the original KOTOR stylings? Why didn't you just adapt those?? You gave the Imps their own distinct armor stylings... you couldn't do the same for pubs?

I just get irate when i see a trooper or even a bounty hunter running around looking like he just walked out of a Republic Clone Commando team... you literally have ARC trooper armor in this game... Seriously???

We're only a COUPLE THOUSAND YEARS before any of that... no big deal... -_-

Also think the Imperial fleet is far too reminiscent of the traditional fleet stylings from the original trilogy.

Granted none of this will be changed...

I'm just complaining. still my largest complaint about this game (and that's saying something).

Edited by TMBRLZ

Mandalorian armor was very efficent, it's entirely possible that, following the Mandalorian War, and Jedi Civil War, the Republic reverse engineered captured examples due to how effective they were. Technology in Star Wars seems to be perpetually going in circles, so it's plausible.

As for the silver Sith Troopers armor from KOTOR, keep in mind, Revan's Sith Empire was almost completely unrelated to this Sith Empire, made up almost entirely of Republic defectors. Theirs no reason this Empire would use armor from a near unrelated Empire three centuries earlier, they had over a thousand years of their own weapons development. I'd also like to note that the Empire doesn't have a distinct armor style, their very heavily based on Imperial Storm Troopers, the same for the Dark Honor Guards/Imperial Guard.

Edited by LordGarmaZabi

As for the Republic KOTOR style armor, it's rule of cool.

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110312152950/starwars/images/5/56/RepublicTroopersKotORCG.jpg

It's simply not very cool looking. I imagine that, were Troopers to have armor modeled after this, we'd have A LOT of unhappy Republic side players complaining that Bounty Hunters have significantly better looking armor. I've come across tons of people who love Clone Troopers and Storm Troopers, but I've never come across someone who wanted to play as the Rebel Troopers on the Tantive IV.

Edited by LordGarmaZabi

Not that this can be changed - but I would like to say -

The use of Mandalorian styled republic soldier/trooper armor is ENTIRELY UNCANON!

That armor styling wasn't adopted until the Clone Wars when the Grand Army of the Republic was created from the genetics and training of a MANDALORIAN.

And you know this as a fact how?

Why didn't you stick to the original KOTOR stylings? Why didn't you just adapt those?? You gave the Imps their own distinct armor stylings... you couldn't do the same for pubs?

KoTOR's Republic forces' visual aesthetic didn't look close enough to the movies for the MMO.

I just get irate when i see a trooper or even a bounty hunter running around looking like he just walked out of a Republic Clone Commando team... you literally have ARC trooper armor in this game... Seriously???

There's no ARC Trooper armour in this game.

We're only a COUPLE THOUSAND YEARS before any of that... no big deal... -_-

Precisely. You're the one making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The only similarity between Mandalorian and Republic infantry armour, is the T-Visor. That's it. Even then, the Mandalorian T-Visor looks more distinctive and closer to prior chronological iterations of it.

Having a T-Visor isn't exactly copying Mandalorians.

Also think the Imperial fleet is far too reminiscent of the traditional fleet stylings from the original trilogy.

Granted none of this will be changed...

I'm just complaining. still my largest complaint about this game (and that's saying something).

Despite everything I've said in this post, I agree with what you're saying.

I'd greatly prefer it the game's visual aesthetic for both Republic and Sith didn't look like they were lifted from the movies.

If anything, I'd have preferred if they'd updated the designs of starships from pre-KoTOR for the Sith, perhaps making them reminiscent of the Dreadnaught heavy cruisers.

For Republic infantry armours, the two things that I think needed to be different first of all are the helmets. Too many of them do look like various Clone Trooper helmets we've seen. Secondly, I actually prefer the armour (minus robes) of these two styles of Jedi Guardian armour this one (though scaling of the shoulder pieces on the female model is better) and this one for Troopers and Republic infantry.

On a side note, the recently released [/url=http://tor-fashion.com/ironclad-soldier/]Iron Clad[/url] set has a great looking helmet in my opinion. Not garish, simple and effective looking.

This no longer available PvP set for Guardians had the best looking helmet for Guardians. With a few minor alterations, it could have been a great base model for non-Jedi Republic military.

Mandalorian armor was very efficent, it's entirely possible that, following the Mandalorian War, and Jedi Civil War, the Republic reverse engineered captured examples due to how effective they were. Technology in Star Wars seems to be perpetually going in circles, so it's plausible.

As I already mentioned, the only thing even remotely "mandalorian" about the armours, is the T-Visor style on most of the helmets. That's not a hard leap of logic to make a fully enclosed helmet that comes with a visor that allows good field of view with little sacrifice of facial protection.

That doesn't require reverse engineering, especially when the only thing unique about Mandalorian armour is the use of Mandalorian Iron.

The last time their armour would have required any form of reverse engineering was fourty years before KoTOR, during the time of Exar Kun when the Mandalorian Crusaders had the most advanced weapons, ships and armour of the time. Despite their advanced military tech of the time, they were still defeated.

And you know this as a fact how?

KoTOR's Republic forces' visual aesthetic didn't look close enough to the movies for the MMO.

There's no ARC Trooper armour in this game.

Precisely. You're the one making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The only similarity between Mandalorian and Republic infantry armour, is the T-Visor. That's it. Even then, the Mandalorian T-Visor looks more distinctive and closer to prior chronological iterations of it.

Having a T-Visor isn't exactly copying Mandalorians.

Despite everything I've said in this post, I agree with what you're saying.

I'd greatly prefer it the game's visual aesthetic for both Republic and Sith didn't look like they were lifted from the movies.

If anything, I'd have preferred if they'd updated the designs of starships from pre-KoTOR for the Sith, perhaps making them reminiscent of the Dreadnaught heavy cruisers.

For Republic infantry armours, the two things that I think needed to be different first of all are the helmets. Too many of them do look like various Clone Trooper helmets we've seen. Secondly, I actually prefer the armour (minus robes) of these two styles of Jedi Guardian armour this one (though scaling of the shoulder pieces on the female model is better) and this one for Troopers and Republic infantry.

On a side note, the recently released [/url=http://tor-fashion.com/ironclad-soldier/]Iron Clad[/url] set has a great looking helmet in my opinion. Not garish, simple and effective looking.

This no longer available PvP set for Guardians had the best looking helmet for Guardians. With a few minor alterations, it could have been a great base model for non-Jedi Republic military.

As I already mentioned, the only thing even remotely "mandalorian" about the armours, is the T-Visor style on most of the helmets. That's not a hard leap of logic to make a fully enclosed helmet that comes with a visor that allows good field of view with little sacrifice of facial protection.

That doesn't require reverse engineering, especially when the only thing unique about Mandalorian armour is the use of Mandalorian Iron.

The last time their armour would have required any form of reverse engineering was fourty years before KoTOR, during the time of Exar Kun when the Mandalorian Crusaders had the most advanced weapons, ships and armour of the time. Despite their advanced military tech of the time, they were still defeated.

Okay, fair enough, just because clone trooper armor was based on Mando designs of the time doesn't mean the clone trooper like armor of this era is based on Mando designs of it's time. However, on the matter of Starship stylings, in the lore the triangular Star Destroyer style ship has already been noted to have existed in the OR era, being used by both the Republic, and the Mandalorians. The reason for this is the shape of the ship allows the for vessels with this shape to concentrate all guns in a single direction.

Actually it makes sense that there'd be some Mandalorian influence on Republic armor. The Mandalorian Wars and the Jedi Civil War saw quite a bit of activity from Mandalorian raiders amd their weapon and armor styles. Militaries tend to adopt what works. It may take them a while, but they will learn from their enemy, taking what works. European armies adopted the stirrup and Mongolian saddle designs after seeing just how wickedly effective it made mounted combat. Firearms were adopted from China to the Ottoman Empire to Europe when it was shown they worked (but it took a few hundred years to perfect portable firearms).

Kreia hangs a big fat lampshade on it when she points out that Revan and Malak started adopting Mandalorian tactics, only to exploit their weaknesses. Hell, even Revan was wearing a Mandalorian's mask most of his life. Furthermore, you forget Mandalore the Reserver (Canderous Ordo), who became a Republic ally and started a couple centuries of the Mando'ade siding with the Republic. Imperial players have to deal with the splinter faction of Preservers who still think Canderous was right and resist the Imperial puppets and tools that pass for the last few Mandalores. Definitely not a stretch to think that Canderous's followers worked in Republic space as advisors, mercenaries, and maybe a handful went through the bother of enlisting. They'd be that era's answer to 1500's Swiss Mercenaries - and every army in Europe was trying to keep up with those.

Given that, it's no stretch at all to think that Mandalorian tactics, armor and weapon design, and even a few Mandalorian ideals sneaked their way into the Republic (which is a bit like Rome or the idealized United States and Brazil in terms of assimilating cultures and ideas it comes in contact with).

Edited by Allronix

Well the Republic has advanced since then, remember it's been 300 years since we saw all of that armor. I mean look at the United States, we don't use the same gear as 300 years ago ( that being irrelevant to SW) but each side will have it's advances. Also, they came out with the "Vintage Republic Soldier Set" . That resembles the Republic armor in KOTOR. So they had to do something different. Why not something awesome looking? But notice the words Vintage, and Restored.

Side Note: the vintage

republic armor made me look like a dinosaur 😁

I did notice that the Republic armor does look considerably like Clone armor, which was based around Mandalorian Armor, but that's probably just to keep with the SW aesthetic . As for the main distinction of Mando armor being beskar, that's false. Most of the famous Mandos (both Fetts, for example) didn't have beskar armor. Instead, they used durasteel. The part that makes it most easily recognizable is the segmented armor (neo-crusaders aside) and the T-visor. Also, let's face it, any in-game full-on beskar would be OP.