Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The State of Endgame.


Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
05.11.2016 , 12:02 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DieAlteHexe View Post
Why can't people just say "I" instead of "we"?
If they say "I" then they have to acknowledge that they speak for the one (themselves). If they say "we" that frees them up to speak for everyone, conflate as needed on behalf of everyone, and make up data and present it as fact, on behalf of everyone.

It's a weak sauce approach to discussion, and using "we" seems to trigger some napoleon complex that they can soap box from. They use "we" in the imperial sense.

Or.. to make is simpler... if you invent a crowd around you, you feel safer to say what you mean because you think you have a posse backing you up.

Note to readers: The OP DOES NOT speak for me.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

DieAlteHexe's Avatar


DieAlteHexe
05.11.2016 , 12:03 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
If they say "I" then they have to acknowledge that they speak for the one (themselves). If they say "we" that frees them up to speak for everyone, conflate as needed on behalf of everyone, and make up data and present it as fact, on behalf of everyone.

It's a weak sauce approach to discussion, and using "we" seems to trigger some napoleon complex that they can soap box from.

Or.. to make is simpler... if you invent a crowd around you, you feel safer to say what you mean because you think you have a posse backing you up.

Note to readers: The OP DOES NOT speak for me.
I know that. The comment was rhetorical.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

Kortio's Avatar


Kortio
05.11.2016 , 12:07 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
HM/NiM groups in every game require some third party application to join. No one is doing them without some sort of VoIP application like Mumble or Teamspeak. Many like you to have Starparse as well so you can see how you are performing your role and where you took damage that might indicate why you failed. There are at least 3 guilds with open recruitment on Harb willing to take inexperienced raiders into groups, so I disagree that guilds won't take you if you don't know what you're doing.

But these raids are all more than a year old (if not 4 years old) and most players know how to complete them if they are participating. You will be hard pressed to find a group that is wanting to go in blind and "learn" the fights on their own. Best case scenario you pick a guild willing to explain the mechanics to you during the raid (I know of at least one that will). Worst case scenario, they want you to read the Dulfy guide beforehand.
I am obviously not talking about Teamspeak. And I am not installing StarParse.
Besides that, 4 out of the 5 guilds checked my achievements and declined me when they saw I never did HC Raids, because I kind of just restarted the game and never did much raiding in 2013, due to lack of time.

Anyway, I just wanted to point that out that exclusiveness is killing the game too. There is always a drain of experienced players and if you don't train new people, then there will be nobody left to play with. I keep tanking SM and people can continue to search for Tanks with "E&E".

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
05.11.2016 , 12:11 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kortio View Post
I am obviously not talking about Teamspeak. And I am not installing StarParse.
Besides that, 4 out of the 5 guilds checked my achievements and declined me when they saw I never did HC Raids, because I kind of just restarted the game and never did much raiding in 2013, due to lack of time.

Anyway, I just wanted to point that out that exclusiveness is killing the game too. There is always a drain of experienced players and if you don't train new people, then there will be nobody left to play with. I keep tanking SM and people can continue to search for Tanks with "E&E".
It depends on the group you are trying to join. If the group has completed most HM raids and are doing NiM or the ends of Rav/ToS, then they aren't going to want someone new. It would reset the whole group's progress. You need to find a group that is at your level and wanting to progress further. They exist, you seem to be selecting the wrong ones, however.

If you aren't installing Starparse for whatever reason, your options will be limited. It is a great tool for improving your own performance and helping identify where the group has issues. If you aren't willing to put in time and help make the group better, they will most likely not want to invest time in you as a player either.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
05.11.2016 , 12:12 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DieAlteHexe View Post
I know that. The comment was rhetorical.
Hehe.. I know that too... but it is worth explaining in a positive context, before you get spammed with nonsense about it being their right or entitlement.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Kortio's Avatar


Kortio
05.11.2016 , 12:14 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
If you aren't installing Starparse for whatever reason, your options will be limited. It is a great tool for improving your own performance and helping identify where the group has issues. If you aren't willing to put in time and help make the group better, they will most likely not want to invest time in you as a player either.
StarParse is a violation of the EULA/TOS. And I don't need it. I can play games without some not allowed Software telling me what to do. Might surprise you, but some players actually do have skill.

DieAlteHexe's Avatar


DieAlteHexe
05.11.2016 , 12:16 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Hehe.. I know that too... but it is worth explaining in a positive context, before you get spammed with nonsense about it being their right or entitlement.
Aha! Well, obviously more caffeine is needed then. Sorry and thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
05.11.2016 , 12:17 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Don't you dare try to include me among your "many" and "most". Your "many" and "most" is wrong as well. PVP/OPs players are not this game's "many" and "most."
This post seems unnecessary. The OP uses many and most almost exclusively when referring to raiders and endgame focused guilds. In the instances where he uses "we" type phrases, they are in the section where the OP mentions speaking to players across 7 different guilds. It would appear the sentiment was shared by those he/she is speaking for.

Stop dismissing everyone that posts something just because others on the forums choose to speak as the majority with no proof. That didn't happen here.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
05.11.2016 , 12:18 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Kortio View Post
StarParse is a violation of the EULA/TOS. And I don't need it. I can play games without some not allowed Software telling me what to do. Might surprise you, but some players actually do have skill.
It is not against ToS as the developer of the application has assured you and others multiple times. It was confirmed with BW to make sure it was not an issue for players to use. Starparse doesn't tell me what to do, it just tells me what I did and I use that knowledge to do better next time.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

IanArgent's Avatar


IanArgent
05.11.2016 , 12:21 PM | #20
I'm gonna throw this out there - if part of the game requires third-party software; that's doing it wrong. Either SWTOR should have built-in voice chat, or it shouldn't have content requiring voice chat.


(pockets safety pin, walks away)
You want Things? Do some Work. Find me on Star Forge
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't