Star Wars vs WH40K

Archereon

Someone sounds like a Sisters of Battle player. I completely agree for the most part, and what I posted was meant to be nothing more than a very general overview. And I'd definitely rather fight the Space Wolves than those psychopaths.

I rather fight them then the nercons....i am rather found of my soul:P

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drats - Sheldon Cooper.

But yes, I am Sisters of Battle player, although, everything I stated is in their two part White Dwarf issue description :cool:

Orks here, currently rebuilding after the guy I was paying to paint them (I can do awesome models, but I suck at painting) moved away with full knowledge that he had my army.

As to the Abaddon comment above, there is a point in the Soul Hunter series where he says (paraphrased) "Other people see defeat [The Black Crusades], I see it as setting the pieces". So he was either covering his ***, or hinting at he's no where near his final plan.

Imperial Guard all the way. It's the same reason I'm partial to the non-Force-using classes in SW - I want to prove that one doesn't need to have superpowers to be a hero.

Guardsmen confront the galaxy's myriad terrors with a flashlight and a flak jacket. That makes the IG a bunch of real OGs in my opinion.

Though I do like the SoBs too (get it? :D), since after all they're unmodified humans as well - only they use Power Armor like Space Marines do.

As to the Abaddon comment above, there is a point in the Soul Hunter series where he says (paraphrased) "Other people see defeat [The Black Crusades], I see it as setting the pieces". So he was either covering his ***, or hinting at he's no where near his final plan.

Yeah, I was somewhat exaggerating for effect. Abaddon didn't lead all the Black Crusades anyway, only most of them. And one could always say that his defeats in past Crusades say more about the strength of the Imperial opposition, rather than his weakness as a leader.

Anyway, the 13th Black Crusade has finally succeeded in establishing a foothold, however tenuous, on Cadia. We'll see what happens next.

Edited by LoneRebel
Added response to another post.

As much as I wanted to stay away from the main chapters and go for something different (I have a Flesh Tearers army) I still ended up playing a lot with the Blood Angels army I built up.

After I got my Flesh Tearer force to around 2500 points I read the Blood Angels books and ended up building up an army of them (mainly just so I could field Mephiston, come on, who doesn't want The Lord of Death on their side?).

I had to get a squad of Grey Knights as well, for some reason everytime I go to one of those conventions I end up against someone with a Chaos army.

My main collection is Tyranids though.

I started building it up back when Space Hulk first came out and went from there. I have that many of them it takes me 6 hours to figure which bloody models to use when i'm packing them up for a session.

Edited by Gomla

how are space marines suposed to move? ... in there 'armors'?

nothing can beat a light-saber, people, nothing ....

you can deflect anything and you can cut and slice everything

you would only need a handfuel of Jedis to beat any W40K army,

even if they where colaborating with the Empire itself ... ^^

greetings

A lightsaber is either a) a laser based weapon or b) a plasma based weapon. Space Marine armor can shrug off both.

And that's just a regular SM in regular SM armor.

If we start bringing guys like Marneus Augustus Calgar into the mix, the guy is practically invincible.

And what if we put them against an SM chapter with atypical strategy, like the Raven Guard. These guys are Space Marines that fight like terrorists. They have all the technology to go toe to toe, but they choose to fight dirty.

A lightsaber is either a) a laser based weapon or b) a plasma based weapon. Space Marine armor can shrug off both.

And that's just a regular SM in regular SM armor.

If we start bringing guys like Marneus Augustus Calgar into the mix, the guy is practically invincible.

And what if we put them against an SM chapter with atypical strategy, like the Raven Guard. These guys are Space Marines that fight like terrorists. They have all the technology to go toe to toe, but they choose to fight dirty.

Also dont forget a space marines organs and metabolism. They have 2 hearts. Their flesh repairs itself. Their blood coagulates in seconds.... Even sticking a lightsabre (on the off chance it could penetrate their armour) in a space marine would probably not kill him... So whilst the jedi is wondering why the space marine hasnt gone down yet during his backswing.... he gets a power claw or power fist to the face.

Edited by Rock_Spider

I love both Universes, but to be honest I think this ones a bit of a no brainer. WH40k Would crush the Star Wars Universe. You can take your strongest force user, ever, in the Star Wars Universe and he/she would be crushed under-heel by a primarch... to be fair it wouldn't even take that, a chief librarian of say the Ultramarines chapter... or we could just be ridiculous and have Lord Kaldor Draigo, supreme grandmaster of the Grey Knights chapter... who on frequent occasion chills out in the warp, booms the crap out of stuff in there... pops out to boom some stuff in the material word... then pops back in to a re-spawned warp to continue his path of boomage!

Haha just read the Marneus Calgar bit... that guy would be *********** hilarious crushing Jedi. The guy holds a crucial point in the barricade constantly fighting against the odds while coordinating a battle. He also goes Toe-to-Toe with a fecking Avatar, the incarnation of a god, and punches his way through it.

Edited by Garvielix

Also dont forget a space marines organs and metabolism. They have 2 hearts. Their flesh repairs itself. Their blood coagulates in seconds.... Even sticking a lightsabre (on the off chance it could penetrate their armour) in a space marine would probably not kill him... So whilst the jedi is wondering why the space marine hasnt gone down yet during his backswing.... he gets a power claw or power fist to the face.

Actually, none of a Space Marine's alterations would really save him from having a lightsaber jammed into him.

Just like any other organic, the water in his organs would flash boil(the lightsaber having a temperature roughly what you'd have experienced at ground zero in Hiroshima), so even though his blood would clot quickly, he'd still have been cooked.

Actually, none of a Space Marine's alterations would really save him from having a lightsaber jammed into him.

Just like any other organic, the water in his organs would flash boil(the lightsaber having a temperature roughly what you'd have experienced at ground zero in Hiroshima), so even though his blood would clot quickly, he'd still have been cooked.

The blade can't radiate it's heat that far out from it otherwise the hilt and their hands would melt. So it would probably incinerate everything that it touched and around it, but then cauterizing the area would slightly shieldthe rest of the area (in a small radius) but that sure as hell wouldn't stop a Space Marine. Then there's keeping it lodged in the Space Marine... as soon as it got jabbed in, the space Marine would probably punch your face off..... then again this is all just a bit of fun :p

Edited by Garvielix

Problem is, the Lightsaber wouldn't even make it through their armor.

It's either laser or plasma, and both are turned by SM armor.

And the whole boiling organ thing isn't true, as many people in the SW universe have survived chest wounds from LS.

You even run into a guy in SWTOR who took a Lightsaber to the lung and survived.

Edited by Yfelsung

Sure, Astartes are not Jedi BUT Librarians get close enough. Actually, Librarians are way more scary.. Not only they have all the plus of been an Astartes, they are spykers, and some of them can summon warp storms.. cya Imperial/Repuclic armada...

Also, a Star Destroyer is pretty much the regular capital ship in SW while a ship of the the same size (kinda) is just a destroyer class... not even worth mentioning lol

The army of the Imperium of Man can simply swallow anything SW can throw at them. Mandalorians will be eaten alive by Cadian's Kashiik troopers, and Mando's are the best of the best in theory =D

Damn, Warhammer size ships are not only ugly as can be, but they are also tiny compared to either Death Star and around the same size as a Super Star Destroyer.

You know star wars ships are tiny compared to the death star right? They also dont need a death star to destroy planets

just randomly looking around and saw this - not sure if its a good interpretation on what WH40k ship sizes are

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/227502-warhammer-40k40000

Kinda good. That Imperium battleship in the picture is much too tiny though.

Here's a typical Imperium cruiser (using size numbers from canon 40k rulebook) compared to a Imperial cruiser:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5787/scifiscalecomparison.jpg

Some 40k races have bigger ships. The Necrons have ships that are the size of planets.

Damn, Warhammer size ships are not only ugly as can be, but they are also tiny compared to either Death Star and around the same size as a Super Star Destroyer.

The Imperium doesn't field ships because they're pretty. They field them to blow things to Hell and back (which is why so much of the ship is dedicated to power generation and guns).

The Death Star was also only 120-160km (depending on version) and a massive overcompensation effort. Far better to stick to things that were fielded in larger volume - the Super Star Destroyer is a good note, but it was still somewhat rare to have ships of that size (unlike in the 40k universe, where 'overcompensation' is the word of the day and they love it so much).

The Imperium doesn't field ships because they're pretty. They field them to blow things to Hell and back (which is why so much of the ship is dedicated to power generation and guns).

The Death Star was also only 120-160km (depending on version) and a massive overcompensation effort. Far better to stick to things that were fielded in larger volume - the Super Star Destroyer is a good note, but it was still somewhat rare to have ships of that size (unlike in the 40k universe, where 'overcompensation' is the word of the day and they love it so much).

Can you really call it overcompensation when you got stuff like the Hive Fleets wanting to eat you?

Funny tidbit. The first Death Star was about 150 KM and took decadas to build. The second was around 900 KM and took a few years.

But ya the Imperium have battleships that are wider then a ImpStar and are about 1/3 the length of a SSD.

SSD's were supposed to be rare and a drain on the economy of thousands of planets. **** you EU for just throwing them out behind every asteroid in the universe.

WH40k actualy has a base and the economy to build these ships. Yet in Star Wars 25,000 ImpStars were built during the Galatic Empire and that was said to strain them.

But lets forget about that. StarWars Cap ships have deflactors. Then can absorb/deflect so much energy. They need to have physical shielding and thats not so much better. WH40K ships shoot torpedos designed to destroy ships of equal size... even a near miss can be crippinling.

All the time they are shooting their main batteries the out range SW ships by... well its a lot. Dozens of times.

I love me some SyarWars and the world built around it.

But when stacked up to 40k... it does not work. Nothing.