What it means to be a Jedi Knight?

Spriglet

I have been researching the Jedi Order and I play a Jedi Knight in game. For RP purposes I have been trying to figure out what it means to be a Jedi Knight in the Star Wars Galaxy.

I have been a big fan of Jedi's since I was young and have always loved the idea of the force and especially the lightsaber :).

Though as I started to research Jedi more they seem to become even more mysterious. At first their belief in the force and their search for peace seems more like Buddhist monk philosophy and at other times more like a knight who fights for "truth and justice".

The part of the Jedi that seems most like knights is their service to the republic. From what I have read the Jedi Knights serve the ideas the Republic were based on. The Jedi in the stories always seem to go on diplomatic missions trying to encourage other races and species to join the Republic. They even seem like the Republics poster boys/girls.

On the other end of the spectrum we have the Force. From what I have read about the force it seems to be a lot like Chi. The Jedi trust in the force and seek to understand its mysteries. This to me is the most mystical side of the Jedi. It makes them seem more like Chinese mystics that sit in temples and meditate hoping to gain more insight into the Force. This part of the Jedi Path always seemed the most intriguing to me but its a path of self discovery and one of enlightenment. In my opinion its the search to understand something bigger than yourself.

So what does the Jedi Knight hope to achieve? What are his/her goals? Is the Jedi Knight a protector of the Republic or Zen Master hoping to gain more understanding of the force. What happens when these two goals contradict one another? A Jedi Knight at times seems like a heroic weapons master fighting for Justice and what is "right". Other times they seem like temple monks meditating on the force and trying to discover its mysteries.

So what is a Jedi Knight to you?

I think compared to the real world, they resemble Samurai the closest to some degree.

Samurai had their Bushido codex, they had to spend several years in a monastery as part of their education and they only wore armor when they went into large battles.

Add to that the fact that George Lucas was at least to some degree inspired by the film "The Hidden Fortress" it makes a lot of sense too.

Of course there are differences, and there are many other influences as well. But still.

What it means to be a Jedi differs depending on whether you ask me as a part of the audience of Star Wars, a player of Star Wars: The Old Republic, or the individual characters I play.

Auset Midnight, my main character, twi'lek Infiltration Shadow it means the following:

She is a good spirit guarding the galaxy, showing up where she needs to be and help aid those in need, help sentient life flourish in all shapes throughout the galaxy and resolve conflicts. She is sworn to the Republic, but sees her foremost duty not towards any particular political entity, but to pluralistic galactic society of different peoples, only softly ruled in the name of all the planets and cultures (but not necessarily individuals) it comprises. She sees her role in ensuring those different cultures can develop coexistingly to the benefit of all. She helps settling conflicts between those, assist those in need with her powers, while respecting local authority.

As a member of a highly disciplined martial order, she holds a monopole of violence in times of peace, thus ensuring that it doesn't come to violence when she mediates between cultural differences and conflicting interests. However, due to her special abilities as shadow her speciality is infiltration, intelligence, and at times even assassination, of course, but that does not affect the way what it means to be a Jedi to her.

Swordsmanship and chivalry are important to her and sees it as privilege of the Jedi order. Perfecting her lightsaber skills is a way to perfect herself, it is not only a means to overcome her enemies, it's sport, art and a means to express herself in private situations.

Dealing with emotions is an important aspect of being a Jedi to her. To be truly at peace she must not try to not have emotions, but to understand them, be aware of them, even embrace them but not surrender to them. It's a delicate balance of accepting who she truly is, including all the flaws of her personality, all her desires and yet being considerate and calm when she lets them come to be. It takes a lot of reflection, counsel of other trusted Jedi and some private space to express herself for her. When she meditates it's often a lightsaber workout or gymnastic exercises, for her physical self is very important to her and she can't be one with herself without being one with her body, flowing with the Force to find peace.

To her it's not so that the Jedi are right and the Sith are wrong, it's merely a different approach, both conclusive and meaningful in their own way. She just chooses to guardian of a radiant, colorful galaxy, rather than being a radiant light herself, and overcoming the dark side within herself means making that choice anew with every breath she takes.

She trusts her instincts rather than denying them, allowing herself to fulfill the listen to the guidance of the force (though she would not go as far as to speak of a "Will of the Force" as Qui-Gon does) trying to always let it in and be aware of the Force around, dancing with it rather than taking control of it or watching it in suspicion.

What she hopes to achieve is difficult to answer - her goals are ultimately self perfection (physical and mental) and improved understanding and sharing that with the Jedi Order. And never become to proud to wonder, try to see the beauty of the galaxy every day anew, even in the darkest times. It's not something that can finish at some point though, it's an ongoing process.

Quotes from Star Wars with which she can identify herself best:

You will find that many truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Feel, don't think.

Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future. - But not at the expense of the moment.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

What it means to be a Jedi differs depending on whether you ask me as a part of the audience of Star Wars, a player of Star Wars: The Old Republic, or the individual characters I play.

Auset Midnight, my main character, twi'lek Infiltration Shadow it means the following:

She is a good spirit guarding the galaxy, showing up where she needs to be and help aid those in need, help sentient life flourish in all shapes throughout the galaxy and resolve conflicts. She is sworn to the Republic, but sees her foremost duty not towards any particular political entity, but to pluralistic galactic society of different peoples, only softly ruled in the name of all the planets and cultures (but not necessarily individuals) it comprises. She sees her role in ensuring those different cultures can develop coexistingly to the benefit of all. She helps settling conflicts between those, assist those in need with her powers, while respecting local authority.

As a member of a highly disciplined martial order, she holds a monopole of violence in times of peace, thus ensuring that it doesn't come to violence when she mediates between cultural differences and conflicting interests. However, due to her special abilities as shadow her speciality is infiltration, intelligence, and at times even assassination, of course, but that does not affect the way what it means to be a Jedi to her.

Swordsmanship and chivalry are important to her and sees it as privilege of the Jedi order. Perfecting her lightsaber skills is a way to perfect herself, it is not only a means to overcome her enemies, it's sport, art and a means to express herself in private situations.

Dealing with emotions is an important aspect of being a Jedi to her. To be truly at peace she must not try to not have emotions, but to understand them, be aware of them, even embrace them but not surrender to them. It's a delicate balance of accepting who she truly is, including all the flaws of her personality, all her desires and yet being considerate and calm when she lets them come to be. It takes a lot of reflection, counsel of other trusted Jedi and some private space to express herself for her. When she meditates it's often a lightsaber workout or gymnastic exercises, for her physical self is very important to her and she can't be one with herself without being one with her body, flowing with the Force to find peace.

To her it's not so that the Jedi are right and the Sith are wrong, it's merely a different approach, both conclusive and meaningful in their own way. She just chooses to guardian of a radiant, colorful galaxy, rather than being a radiant light herself, and overcoming the dark side within herself means making that choice anew with every breath she takes.

She trusts her instincts rather than denying them, allowing herself to fulfill the listen to the guidance of the force (though she would not go as far as to speak of a "Will of the Force" as Qui-Gon does) trying to always let it in and be aware of the Force around, dancing with it rather than taking control of it or watching it in suspicion.

What she hopes to achieve is difficult to answer - her goals are ultimately self perfection (physical and mental) and improved understanding and sharing that with the Jedi Order. And never become to proud to wonder, try to see the beauty of the galaxy every day anew, even in the darkest times. It's not something that can finish at some point though, it's an ongoing process.

Quotes from Star Wars with which she can identify herself best:

You will find that many truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Feel, don't think.

Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future. - But not at the expense of the moment.

Wow this is excellent!

For my jedi guardian, well he lives by this code, and it's not exactly the jedi code. It's actually the oath from Kingdom of Heaven.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright so that god may love thee. Speak the truth, even if it should lead to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. Protect the Republic, and if the Republic is no more, protect the people. These are your oaths -SLAP!- that is so you remember them.