Ranged companions fixed!!!

Mulzz

This was a much needed fix. I only noticed it a few days back. I typically use melee comps for leveling and just aoe the adds down. This time around I used a ranged comp and wow... comps getting stuck behind walls, them not following you and then the real kicker, the ranged comp is standing right next to me and decides to stop firing... ooook! :eek: There's plenty of workarounds, put them on passive, then attack, etc.. but considering the comp is an extension of your character, this was needed. And before some yahoo chimes in and mentions leveling is easy, that's not the point. Good fix. Edited by Pirana

Stupid fix imo. Ranged comps were nice to have when you needed the companion to stay in 1 spot and do it's job, now it's another comp that you have to micro manage to keep alive in those situations otherwise it just runs out and dies like melee comps.

Stupid fix imo. Ranged comps were nice to have when you needed the companion to stay in 1 spot and do it's job, now it's another comp that you have to micro manage to keep alive in those situations otherwise it just runs out and dies like melee comps.

Just can’t please some people :rolleyes:

I don't see how the bug made them more survivable. Maybe if you got lucky in placing them right. It sounds like what you want is a Stay command, which is, I think, a reasonable feature to ask for. Bugged movement ain't the answer though.

You also had to micro-manage them since they wouldn't move which made some encounters quite pesky.

Yeah. Finally ranged companions can be used again in content where you need the healing or extra dps. Even when just doing dailies they were just useless, but hey we complained that that content was too easy, didn't we? Not only that combat is fixed, the comps follow close by again, so we can hear their occasional comments to certain areas.

A great fix, even if it took a bit too long to implement. Now please make sure the fix also finds its way into the 6.0 build.

Edited by Mubrak

The main problem I think is that the companions always try to stay in range of enemies now.

This is fine for damage and tank stances, but for healing it really isn't great - the companion should try to stay in range of his healing target(s), and not run off into the mobs to be slaughtered.

Maybe in a year or so they'll manage to fix that...

Ciao, Aronis!

The main problem I think is that the companions always try to stay in range of enemies now.

This is fine for damage and tank stances, but for healing it really isn't great - the companion should try to stay in range of his healing target(s), and not run off into the mobs to be slaughtered.

Maybe in a year or so they'll manage to fix that...

Ciao, Aronis!

There is nothing to be fixed because it is by design that healers try to stay in range of the enemies and deal damage to them in between throwing their heals around. I appreciate that my healing comps dont just stand there but take down low health enemies while I am busy with someone else.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Fixed this is my opinion of the fix. .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I am leveling my Consular the story is meh nut I like the DPS. Enter the companion fix, I like to stand at max range as a sage, early levles 30 , later 35 meters or is it feet. I download the patch and bring my sage to Belsavis heroics, I hang back at max range activate force quake and my companion run to the enemy, I think about 15 meters/feet from the enemy. That ruins the emersion, I find I let my companion die just to teach it a lesson.

I remember 1.0 when you could toggle all your companion abilities on and off, I will not unsub but this is a complete mess. And the white knights are defending the fix. Wait a minute I got it "this is a surprise new mechanic". I would say more but I just just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Fixed this is my opinion of the fix. .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I am leveling my Consular the story is meh nut I like the DPS. Enter the companion fix, I like to stand at max range as a sage, early levles 30 , later 35 meters or is it feet. I download the patch and bring my sage to Belsavis heroics, I hang back at max range activate force quake and my companion run to the enemy, I think about 15 meters/feet from the enemy. That ruins the emersion, I find I let my companion die just to teach it a lesson.

I remember 1.0 when you could toggle all your companion abilities on and off, I will not unsub but this is a complete mess. And the white knights are defending the fix. Wait a minute I got it "this is a surprise new mechanic". I would say more but I just just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like the other guy complaining about this, it sounds like what you want is a Stay command. Which again, I think is a reasonable feature to ask for. Companions getting stuck in place was a buggy mess, it wasn't a feature.

In the mean time, you could put your companion on passive if you want to prevent them from attacking until you decide they should start. If I'm reading right what it is you're wanting to have happen.

I'm not trying to be a white knight, I genuinly don't understand the issue since I don't have any problems with them dying due to their general overpoweredness in all roles. If you talk breaking the immersion that one I could understand.

We are talking about ranged companions here and if I attack enemies as a ranged character the companion simply walks in range of the enemies so he can actually use his abilites and starts attacking and healing depending on the role. The only instance he "runs" into the enemies is if he is in tank role, but then he is supposed to draw the aggro from the enemies. Same mechanic for the melee companions, they have to run into the enemy groups in order to use their abilities.

A stay command would "fix" the issue you have with them walking in enemy range, but then the companion would just stand there doing nothing if he is in dps or tank stance.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I'm scratching my head about the complaints now. It's a good thing they fixed this. Was it really better when they stood too far away, stared into space and died?

As far as I remember the ranged companions always did come close if they were healing. It's just back to the way it was before.

IAs far as I remember the ranged companions always did come close if they were healing. It's just back to the way it was before.

Ranged healers used to stand still and heal you until you were out of range or they lost sight of you, then they attacked the boss. Only when the boss also moved out of their range did they follow the boss, and if you were lucky, they came close enough to notice you were half dead and resumed healing.

The bug prevented them from moving at all, the fix now has them go close to the boss as soon as they lose sight of you. So it's a bit different than it used to be a year ago, but IMO it makes sense when a dedicated healer's priority is moving to a place where they can heal, instead of dpsing until you come back in range.

Now they just need to move out of AOE, then they behave almost like you would expect from a player.

Edited by Mubrak

In your first paragraph you're mentioning how your companion is 'running to the enemy'. What did you want your comp to do, kick back have a smoke, drink a beer, let you do all the work? Because that's what was happening before, well... The game is designed so that when you take damage or you give your comp an order, the companion attacks or follows that order. Regarding the meter range, that's also gonna depend on the comp you're using and its weapon.

I would love see to an explanation on how you feel it's a 'complete mess' compared to before the fix when the companions either wouldn't attack, get stuck behind walls, randomly stop firing, now that was a mess.

This has nothing to do with being a 'white knight', it's common sense.

In your first paragraph you're mentioning how your companion is 'running to the enemy'. What did you want your comp to do, kick back have a smoke, drink a beer, let you do all the work? Because that's what was happening before, well... The game is designed so that when you take damage or you give your comp an order, the companion attacks or follows that order. Regarding the meter range, that's also gonna depend on the comp you're using and its weapon.

I would love see to an explanation on how you feel it's a 'complete mess' compared to before the fix when the companions either wouldn't attack, get stuck behind walls, randomly stop firing, now that was a mess.

This has nothing to do with being a 'white knight', it's common sense.

I do not want my ranged/healer companion to run to the enemy. I want them to stand at range and heal. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

"That's it man, game over man, game over"

Edited by ufarax

While we're on the subject of a Stay command, it does occur to me, I've had times when it would be convenient to have something like that. Like when trying to LOS a group of mobs around a corner. Usually the only way to ensure companion won't attack (and this was the case even with the bug) was to put them on passive and then tell them to attack once the mobs are about finished rounding the corner.

A "Go Here" command would be nice as well for pretty much the same reason. Like put them on Stay, then Go Here (around a corner), and then pull. Then put them back on Follow when the pull is over. That sort of thing. More intuitive than having to swap between Passive and Attack, imo, and less management in mid-combat.

So basically what you’re asking for is a stay command.

yes, that is it I assume. He wants the ranged companions to be as efficient and competent as a ranged player character, which will never happen.

The problem is that if they implemented a stay command it would lead to many instances where your companion gets out of range for his abilities and just stands there doing nothing when you and the enemy group is moving away just slightly. You would have to micromanage the hell out of it or BioWare would have to increase the ability range of all companions, which in turn would make them even more overpowered than they already are. I think both options would lead to even more complaints.

I could understand the complaint if companions were as weak as they were before they had redone them into the power houses that they are right now.

A "Go Here" command would be nice as well for pretty much the same reason. Like put them on Stay, then Go Here (around a corner), and then pull. Then put them back on Follow when the pull is over. That sort of thing. More intuitive than having to swap between Passive and Attack, imo, and less management in mid-combat.

How is what you describe less management than swapping between passive and attack? Quite the opposite.

Edited by Phazonfreak