Groupfinder queue incoherence

demotivator

As I am going through the HM flashpoints for the D vs. L event something that I have noticed since they implemented the group finder system is starting to really get on my nerve. If you select only a few flashpoints, your queue time is going to be... almost infinite. Good luck getting a group.

That doesn't make any sense because you will only be matched with other players who also selected these flashpoints which severely limits the pool. That is so counterproductive... If Player A selects a few flashpoints and Player B, C, D select random flashpoints they should still be grouped together as for B, C and D this is still random and you are supposed to be in for anything that comes up.

TL;DR: please update your flawed queueing system so that you are still matched with people running random even if you select some specific FPs.

Edited by demotivator

Uh, that does work. It's how my guild does conquest HMs while still getting the Daily on 2-3 of our toons.

That's not how GF works. If you have a group of 3 guildies selecting a specific flashpoint your odds of finding one last person are greater than being alone and waiting for 3 people...

IMHO you're not the only one that selected only the few remaining FPs - most people do it for the event and probably only people just starting it queue with all of them checked.

And this is fine. If Player A selects let's say Battle of Ilum only, Player B selects False Emperor, Player C selects Depths of Manaan that A, B and C don't get grouped is only logical, that's not what I am talking about. If you select one specific flashpoint you won't get matched with people selecting random, that's the issue since it is limiting your pool of available players.

I'm guessing you are dps? That's the problem I'm afraid, there are so many more dps than heals/tanks that dps queues are insane (that's why I'm leveling assasins/scoundrels for DVL, so I can tank and heal that stuff).

I'm heals. If I go for random flashpoints, I can get a pop in 15 minutes at worst. If I unselect only a dozens of HMs I can wait for 2 hours and still not get a pop.

Edited by demotivator

If you select one specific flashpoint you won't get matched with people selecting random

Hm, that's not what I'm seeing. When I select specific flashpoints, I still get matched with people who get their daily rewards at the end, i.e. must have selected random.

That's not how GF works. If you have a group of 3 guildies selecting a specific flashpoint your odds of finding one last person are greater than being alone and waiting for 3 people...

I'm talking about one of us outside the group choosing the FP, and the other three (in a group) queuing random. Most of the time we get the pop together, and three of us will get the Daily for queuing random. Occasionally, the group of three gets a different fourth, and we have to split it into two groups of two with a dps in each - one group chooses the particular FP, the other queues random. Never seen that one fail to put us together yet.

Hm, that's not what I'm seeing. When I select specific flashpoints, I still get matched with people who get their daily rewards at the end, i.e. must have selected random.

That's not what I am seeing either. My observation is based on an experience I made like a couple of years ago and given that my queue time is almost never ending now that I select only a few HMs compared to running my daily random something tells me that it hasn't changed.

So about 2 years ago I wanted to finish the Ilum storyline which means running the Battle of Ilum and The False Emperor flashpoints. I first tried (as a tank!) to queue for SM Battle of Ilum alone and never got a pop. So I experimented with GF and tried to run a random SM flashpoint and got an instant pop. I declined, selected SM Battle of Ilum only again and I was back to waiting. I rest my case: if you select specific flashpoints you are only grouped with people doing the same thing, you are not grouped with people queueing for a random flashpoint.

Edited by demotivator

If you select one specific flashpoint you won't get matched with people selecting random, that's the issue since it is limiting your pool of available players.

You can select 1 Flashpoint. You can select 10 flashpoints. You will be matched with players that select Random.

Case in point: I have queued up many times, to get Directive 7, Athis, Directive 7, Athis, Cademimu, and more Athis or Directive 7 because someone saw the purple triangle on Fleet and thought it was part of their class story and queued specifically for it, then ended up dragging the rest of the group along because they picked Random.

I even asked, several times, if someone queued for the flashpoint specifically and was told "Yes. Because it's part of my class story."

So the only way you won't pick up a random is if everyone in the queue has selected a specific flashpoint that you have not. And since the stupidity of the flashpoint changes (letting lower levels into end-game flashpoints) less and less people are queuing up and instead forming their own groups with friends/guildies so they can be sure to get a quality team.

You can select 1 Flashpoint. You can select 10 flashpoints. You will be matched with players that select Random.

Case in point: I have queued up many times, to get Directive 7, Athis, Directive 7, Athis, Cademimu, and more Athis or Directive 7 because someone saw the purple triangle on Fleet and thought it was part of their class story and queued specifically for it, then ended up dragging the rest of the group along because they picked Random.

I even asked, several times, if someone queued for the flashpoint specifically and was told "Yes. Because it's part of my class story."

So the only way you won't pick up a random is if everyone in the queue has selected a specific flashpoint that you have not. And since the stupidity of the flashpoint changes (letting lower levels into end-game flashpoints) less and less people are queuing up and instead forming their own groups with friends/guildies so they can be sure to get a quality team.

So care to explain why as a tank you get an instant pop (most of the times) on a random flashpoint but if you select one flashpoint you're in for a long wait... since you are saying you are still grouped with people going for a random? I am all hears.

I have seen this repeatedly over and over again with classes who don't suffer long queue times like tanks and heals. Random flashpoint: short queue. Specific flashpoint: endless wait. Right now I am on my DvsL heals on Harbinger. I queued for a random HM for my daily reward and got an instant pop, I dropped quickly because the group was total fail. After my lockout, I queued again for a random and got another pop in less than 2 minutes. I am now trying to get the other half of the HMs I need for the achievement and I am queued for that half... I have been waiting for 1 hour now and I can assure you that I could come back to this thread in 1 hour, still waiting for a HM to happen. This is what I have seen again for the last week, I get my daily random HM in less than 15 minutes at worst, then I queue for the rest of the HMs I have to complete and I never see a pop. That wouldn't be the case if we were indeed ending with people queueing for a random.

I rest my case (again!), if you select one or a few specific flashpoint(s), you are not grouped with people asking for a random and even if it does happen it seems that people are not picked from the larger pool. This needs to be looked at. (It is the same issue with ops, you have all been in that situation where a DPS dropped, someone tells you heh I got a DPS who can come, he's going to queue for an op in progress, so the leader queues again in groupfinder and 2 minutes later you still haven't found any DPS despite that one DPS who confirms being queued in progress).

Edited by demotivator

I can't speak for operations, because I don't PUG those. Maybe that dps was locked out of that particular op. Maybe he thought he had "Match with groups in progress" checked and didn't. Who knows?

But I have, personally, queued for specific FP's and picked up randoms just as fast as if I'd have queued all random. I've been pulled into someone else's specific FP many times when queuing up random myself. As I said, I have asked people in my LFG groups if they queued random or specific and many have said that they queued up specifically for the FP we were on. If you're experiencing long wait times, then there could be any number of reasons for it. Time of day, amount of people actually in the queue, etc.

I do agree that it needs to be fixed. It needs to be reverted to exclude anyone not on level with the actual content of the FP.