Opt-Out of Alignment Commitment

TheSpaceViking

This has probably been done to death, but can we PLEASE eventually have a way to opt-out of the LS/DS dedication?

I don't care about my endgame toons, but it takes a lot of the fun out of leveling a character. At least give the option of a character's alignment actually reflecting their in-game story choices and not a kriffing button-press.

I hate how if you want to do a Neutral playthrough now, it’s less about your decisions and more how well you can micromanage the counter.

But isn't the point of a "neutral" playthrough the choices themselves, not your numerical alignment?

Like I guess I just don't get it. What does it matter what the game says your alignment is?

Various stories have things that depend on your numeric alignment. Off the top of my head, without reference to anything, and without guarantee of completeness, a partial list is:

* The Darth name that Darth Marr bestows on your Inquisitor at the end of the class story (Nox, Occlus or Imperius)

* Conversations with Keeper in the Agent story

* Conversations with Satele Shan at the end of the Knight story

* Conversations with Khem Val in his companion story (not sure about this - it's been a while since I ran them with a Light Inquisitor)

* The Tatooine "mirror" sequence for Sith Warriors

In the original setup of the game, your numeric alignment depended solely on those decisions (unless you had Diplomacy as a crew skill), but with the Alignment Knob, it depends mostly on the history of the knob, since most of the time, the alignment points you get depend mostly on the knob's position.

I have a Jedi Consular whose Alignment button is set to Dark Side, but who has always chosen Light Side paths in her storyline. I created this character just to see how far I could stretch the disparity between the two.

As of now, this Consular has been a total goody-two-shoes throughout her entire storyline. Not only has she always chosen the Light Side options, but she has picked the absolute nicest, kindest, most compassionate dialogue options in every conversation.

And yet, she is Dark Side V most of the time, showing visible corruption of the Dark Side. Every now and then, she slips to Dark Side IV when she gains Light Side points from completing a mission, but it never takes long to get back to Dark Side V.

I'm not sure what Alignment even means anymore.

That alignment swtich was added for Dark vs Light event. It should have been removed after.

Incorrect.

The DvL event happened in the summer of 2016, between the release of 4.0 (KotFE) and 5.0 (KotET). The Alignment Knob was added in 5.0 for the Dark vs Light State-of-the-Galaxy thing, so it was *added* after the event.

DISCLAIMER: I was there at the time.