SWTOR move to free-to-play could attract up to 50 million players

cupe

how do you think the "Average Joe" in his 2008 laptop will be able to play the game?

Same way I played it on my laptop -- on the lowest graphic settings. And I knew I would be the last one to load a screen or instance. Average Joe on his 2008 laptop can't expect to be the best at PvP or big group ops, but he can play through the class and planet quests just fine.

wich funnily enough gives this person ZERO incentive to pay an actual sub since they cant participate of these activites..ironic right?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If SWTOR reaches 50 million players I'll film myself eating my Malgus CE-statue and put it on Youtube.

Rofl, I think just to see that there'd be million of players giving the game a go :p. So let's keep this post in mind people ;).

It's funny seeing people unsub just because this game went free-to-play.... I guess they're unsubing to GW2 also? It's true EA messed a lot of the game up (Because Bioware made some of the best game including KOTOR's and Mass Effect's)... so yea I'm not letting criticism change my opinion about SWTOR. Can't wait for 1.4 pop it out BW!

tbf it's always a bit different to being with a game that GOES F2P as opposed to one that is design, built and sold as F2P.

Although the end experience might not differ that much.

Rofl, I think just to see that there'd be million of players giving the game a go :p. So let's keep this post in mind people ;).

Yeah I'll also keep that post^ in mind.

As for that link...50 million?! O_o Bioware/EA would have to release this game in other countries like Japan and China if they want that kind of number. But even then I don't think that's even close to enough.

Edited by plotenox

As for that link...50 million?! O_o Bioware/EA would have to release this game in other countries like Japan and China if they want that kind of number. But even then I don't think that's even close to enough.

I think for an MMORPG to get 50m they might have to release it on other planets. :)

I don't think a release in Japan/China would be necesarry, however I do think they'd need to have to do a lot of work on terms of engine optimization and accessibility.

Think incorporate an in-browser version of the game so the game can be added to facebook/google + without the need to fully download the entire game.

50 million is a massive number, but on the other hand it's not that high after all if you consider 35 million people are playing cityville every month. And in interest of EA, roughly 16 million players are actively playing the sims social every month.

Want to achieve such figures? You'll need to step in on those social platforms with a high level of accessibility.

I don't think a release in Japan/China would be necesarry, however I do think they'd need to have to do a lot of work on terms of engine optimization and accessibility.

Think incorporate an in-browser version of the game so the game can be added to facebook/google + without the need to fully download the entire game.

50 million is a massive number, but on the other hand it's not that high after all if you consider 35 million people are playing cityville every month. And in interest of EA, roughly 16 million players are actively playing the sims social every month.

Want to achieve such figures? You'll need to step in on those social platforms with a high level of accessibility.

Argh if they make SWTOR a facebook MMORPG......... I won't be albe to take it. :p

A couple million players? Maybe. 50 million (or even 10 million)? When heck freezes over!!!

How could this game ever possibly attract a significant number of new players, given the huge amount of negative publicity TOR has garnered? Dissatisfied players are legion, and letting their grievances be know in every public forum. Those "potential new players" would have to live under a rock not to have heard any of it.

Even people who only trust their friends' word-of-mouth won't just leap in and sign up. Those friends (if they are indeed friends) wouldn't necessarily be saying "Yeah, dude, you should totally sign up for TOR once it goes F2P"... they'd more likely be saying "TOR died a long time ago, you should stay far, far away..." :D

Edited by TargetOne

Wasting your time trying to explain things to some of these people. Far easier for them to play "expert" and make wild accusation based on some random mind projection fallacy then actually know what one is speaking of.

Really!?!?! I am a fanboy and you embarrass me. I want to see your credentials , and I want you are not playing expert. I honestly think you are a ten year old with good vocabulary, and you have no idea AT ALL about what you are talking about. post a picture with your credentials and proof that it is yours, and I will believe you. and do you honestly think this game could attract 50 million subscribers? maybe 1/3 of the people who play wow have a rig powerful enough to run this game, and 20% of that 1/3 are macs, and you are left with 3 million. wow is about half of the mmo market at best, so at the most you have maybe 6 million people who play mmo's that could even RUN this game. maybe add a couple more million who have a powerful enough rig even run the game, but don't play mmo's. then take away the amount that just don't want to play it, and you don't have a very big number. I am in no way an expert, and this is just a barely educated guess, but it is far more realistic that that analyst's. I don't know how you can even call yourself an expert, if you believe 50 million is even in the realm of possibility, you should be in a mental hospital, and after you are done there go to a psychiatrist for your major ego problems.