Announcing ‘Onslaught’, the Newest Expansion Coming to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

DanielSteed

I'm wondering with the new level cap that is to be introduced is it time to say goodbye to cxp or will you have to complete the 300 levels within it before you get to tackle level 71 like an almighty speed bump on your road to leveling up?

I'm hopeful that the new gear item that you get to equip would enable us to say, have a pvp gear item, that you'd have to have equipped in order to enter a warzone and which would leave each person effectively naked so that play is just down to skill and class balance...or do the devs see pvp gear levels as being important?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be 2 New Races added and not crap ones like the last two and stop making them only unlock-able through the CM, make them Playable unlock-able like the originals, even if you have to reach like 60 or 65 with them. For example, when Grand Master Plo-Koon trained Yoda, was one of Jin's Master, and can wipe out a 10K man army just by removing the Oxygen from the atmosphere, you have to look at the race as a Major Force Power, even though you keep underselling them.

With this New Expansion. Been there, done that, the war was already unofficially started when this thing began. Instead of more story and quests that have already been done, fix the things wrong now, like when I can force push someone, but the crate right next to them does not even move. How even though we are Master Force Users, we cannot Power Force Jump, walk up a simple hill, or "Ninja" jump/climb up or down walls, climbing/grabbing things, and numerous other things that should be able to happen for being Force Users. You want an example, how about you study Force Unleashed I & II!!

Along with that, 2 new starting planets, even if they are ones you are using for "Operations or PVP", a whole planet just for that is stupid, and make the original starter planets more explorable, expanding them greatly.

Along with that, one new Class per side, that is not asking a lot considering you have not even added one new class since 2011, yes, the beginning.

I started this game in BETA, was a founding member in one of the biggest Guilds in the beginning at BETA, and therein I have experienced all the highs and lows and unfortunately there have been more lows. The last 2 so called "expansions" made little sense considering your character became the ruler then became a nothing again in a very short span. Stop pretending there is still an alliance commander, Zakuul and its Fleet have become non existent.

Before the expansion, kill off the stupid New Jedi Master, she is an Idiotic choice for the Republic Force Leader and especially kill off for good Malgus, stop holding onto crap because you are too lazy to think up New Story and characters. The Council needs to come back, leave the Shan's out of it, their Legacy is as overdone and idiotic as the Skywalker's/Solo's. We need New, not done before. Heck, if anything, make a new dang game, 10,000 years after the Solo/Skywalker Legacies die off. We expected new in 2011, we got a Star Wars WOW, we expected advanced with all of the expansions, we got new ways you are horrible at storytelling, examples, Jedi Consular & Sith Inquisitor.

None of this will be taken seriously by LucasArts, Bioware, or EA, but at least my ten cents are in.

There will be a lot more information coming around gearing in the coming weeks and months. Not only that but we will be having a lot of conversations via feedback threads, PTS, etc. We are making some pretty substantial changes and we want to make sure we get it right so be sure to continue to share your thoughts.

-eric

Define "coming weeks" - can mean starting in a couple weeks, starting in May, or shoot, could mean starting in August.

The typical SWTOR detail release has always been "We are going to finally the reveal the details 2 months out when it's too late to make any significant changes, and not a second before." However, that sort of thinking has always been DEATH to feedback, and makes players feel like you aren't taking them seriously.

Gearing has been an eternal bugaboo for SWTOR, so perhaps it might be wiser to get the initial gearing details out as quick as possible, so that in the event (as what usually happens) that the SWTOR devs go:

"Oh, we got a really great gearing idea! I know our players are going to love it because I LOVE IT!"

And the players go:

"What the heck is this crap? Who came up with this horrible idea? We HATE THIS."

The developers will actually have the time to make adjustments and try to change things up to what the players actually want to play rather than what the devs wished the players wanted to play?

Early feedback and testing of the gearing system is crucial for it to be a success. And yes, it will never be 100%, but by working with the players early and often, you likely will be able to reach a majority consensus.

Press your devs and legal department or whomever it is that tells you when you can release information to share it ASAP - sooner the better. That way, it won't be too late if you end up going down a road that makes the players want to throw out their keyboards.

There needs to be 2 New Races added and not crap ones like the last two and stop making them only unlock-able through the CM, make them Playable unlock-able like the originals, even if you have to reach like 60 or 65 with them. For example, when Grand Master Plo-Koon trained Yoda, was one of Jin's Master, and can wipe out a 10K man army just by removing the Oxygen from the atmosphere, you have to look at the race as a Major Force Power, even though you keep underselling them.

With this New Expansion. Been there, done that, the war was already unofficially started when this thing began. Instead of more story and quests that have already been done, fix the things wrong now, like when I can force push someone, but the crate right next to them does not even move. How even though we are Master Force Users, we cannot Power Force Jump, walk up a simple hill, or "Ninja" jump/climb up or down walls, climbing/grabbing things, and numerous other things that should be able to happen for being Force Users. You want an example, how about you study Force Unleashed I & II!!

Along with that, 2 new starting planets, even if they are ones you are using for "Operations or PVP", a whole planet just for that is stupid, and make the original starter planets more explorable, expanding them greatly.

Along with that, one new Class per side, that is not asking a lot considering you have not even added one new class since 2011, yes, the beginning.

I started this game in BETA, was a founding member in one of the biggest Guilds in the beginning at BETA, and therein I have experienced all the highs and lows and unfortunately there have been more lows. The last 2 so called "expansions" made little sense considering your character became the ruler then became a nothing again in a very short span. Stop pretending there is still an alliance commander, Zakuul and its Fleet have become non existent.

Before the expansion, kill off the stupid New Jedi Master, she is an Idiotic choice for the Republic Force Leader and especially kill off for good Malgus, stop holding onto crap because you are too lazy to think up New Story and characters. The Council needs to come back, leave the Shan's out of it, their Legacy is as overdone and idiotic as the Skywalker's/Solo's. We need New, not done before. Heck, if anything, make a new dang game, 10,000 years after the Solo/Skywalker Legacies die off. We expected new in 2011, we got a Star Wars WOW, we expected advanced with all of the expansions, we got new ways you are horrible at storytelling, examples, Jedi Consular & Sith Inquisitor.

None of this will be taken seriously by LucasArts, Bioware, or EA, but at least my ten cents are in.

We haven't had a new playable species in a while. One a year for the expansion sounds good to me. It will add up over years of expansions.

Define "coming weeks" - can mean starting in a couple weeks, starting in May, or shoot, could mean starting in August.

The typical SWTOR detail release has always been "We are going to finally the reveal the details 2 months out when it's too late to make any significant changes, and not a second before." However, that sort of thinking has always been DEATH to feedback, and makes players feel like you aren't taking them seriously.

Gearing has been an eternal bugaboo for SWTOR, so perhaps it might be wiser to get the initial gearing details out as quick as possible, so that in the event (as what usually happens) that the SWTOR devs go:

"Oh, we got a really great gearing idea! I know our players are going to love it because I LOVE IT!"

And the players go:

"What the heck is this crap? Who came up with this horrible idea? We HATE THIS."

The developers will actually have the time to make adjustments and try to change things up to what the players actually want to play rather than what the devs wished the players wanted to play?

Early feedback and testing of the gearing system is crucial for it to be a success. And yes, it will never be 100%, but by working with the players early and often, you likely will be able to reach a majority consensus.

Press your devs and legal department or whomever it is that tells you when you can release information to share it ASAP - sooner the better. That way, it won't be too late if you end up going down a road that makes the players want to throw out their keyboards.

"Coming weeks and months", i don't see any conditional in that but it is a solid confirmation of more than one piece of information is coming down the pipeline. besides that Bioware aren't under the illusion they should answer to every point if they don't want to, or even if they would like to, they can't.

so have some faith in Bioware and wait a few weeks. i'm sure at this point they are finalising their draft blogs to be sent to their legal and management departments a month ahead of time for some of these details on the expac and make sure it is all well within what is expected.

There will be a lot more information coming around gearing in the coming weeks and months. Not only that but we will be having a lot of conversations via feedback threads, PTS, etc. We are making some pretty substantial changes and we want to make sure we get it right so be sure to continue to share your thoughts.

-eric

Thank you for your response, and understand why some of us are on edge with the gear changes. The story so far is you kept saying you are going to listen, then kept doing what you want to do anyway. I hope this time will be different. I'm not saying to please everyone because it's impossible but do not ignore the feedback from one side, or all of the sides.

For example, I think if you don't bring the expertise stats back, there is no way to please both endgame raiders or PVP community. New tactical slots seem like balancing nightmare, is there a way that we can finally get different PvP and PvE outcome for classes and specs like in WoW?

Today we are happy to announce our next expansion - Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught! The expansion will launch free for all subscribers this September. New planets, flashpoint, Operation, large itemization changes codenamed “The Spoils of War” and more will be featured in this expansion! You can learn all about Onslaught in our Expansion Announcement article, here.

In honor of our Celebration Cantina we are sharing with everyone a redeemable code: SWCELEBRATION19. Simply redeem that code on your account for a Celebration inspired character flair and four stronghold decorations.

What is everyone excited for?

Was on the brink of cancelling my Sub, because... ...well... ...the last few content drops have been fun, but far too short lived, far too repetitive, and far too much railroading (and I have for a long time hated just how much love had been withheld from Crafting).

This announcement just stayed my hand.

All The Best

Was on the brink of cancelling my Sub, because... ...well... ...the last few content drops have been fun, but far too short lived, far too repetitive, and far too much railroading (and I have for a long time hated just how much love had been withheld from Crafting).

This announcement just stayed my hand.

All The Best

This, I have been considering canceling and was fixing to cancel this month but now I will wait and see what they do.

I am excited for the new story and planets. I hope it is a long story with some class references. I also hope they have content with our class LIs, especially Vector, including dialogue for him on the new planets (reacting to quests and the environment).

I wished you would have made this announcement much earlier. The last months have been too depressing. I basically stopped playing. And I won't continue my sub (for the first time ever) which runs out in May. Maybe I return for a bit in the Autumn, maybe not.

I mentioned it before: As soon as you guys knew that 6.0 would be coming, you should have started a marketing scheme in order to hype it and get people excited. Instead you remained quiet for many months.

My feeling is that you only start working now on all (or most of) those things. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so open for suggestions. If anything would be done already, you couldn't involve the players as much as you do. This doesn't make me feel confident for Onslaught.

To the players who are super excited now, I suggest to be cautious. Your expectations are too high (again). Expect planet sizes like Ossus. Expect about half amount of stuff we got in Shadows of Revan. If you adjust your expectations, the risk of being disappointed is lower than to expect a reboot of this game which brings you back to the excited feeling of 1.0.

I wished you would have made this announcement much earlier. The last months have been too depressing. I basically stopped playing. And I won't continue my sub (for the first time ever) which runs out in May. Maybe I return for a bit in the Autumn, maybe not.

I mentioned it before: As soon as you guys knew that 6.0 would be coming, you should have started a marketing scheme in order to hype it and get people excited. Instead you remained quiet for many months.

My feeling is that you only start working now on all (or most of) those things. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so open for suggestions. If anything would be done already, you couldn't involve the players as much as you do. This doesn't make me feel confident for Onslaught.

To the players who are super excited now, I suggest to be cautious. Your expectations are too high (again). Expect planet sizes like Ossus. Expect about half amount of stuff we got in Shadows of Revan. If you adjust your expectations, the risk of being disappointed is lower than to expect a reboot of this game which brings you back to the excited feeling of 1.0.

I dont think its wrong to have some higher expectations. Ben Irving is no longer at the helm dragging SWTOR through the muck. So far Kieth and the team seem to be trying really hard to please all kinds of players. I wouldnt expect Onslaught to be an expansion the size of other mmos but if an pretty expecting of them to deliver the best then can. If they can do that then I think SWTOR might get back on proper track.

I dont think its wrong to have some higher expectations. Ben Irving is no longer at the helm dragging SWTOR through the muck. So far Kieth and the team seem to be trying really hard to please all kinds of players. I wouldnt expect Onslaught to be an expansion the size of other mmos but if an pretty expecting of them to deliver the best then can. If they can do that then I think SWTOR might get back on proper track.

I liked the chapter format and getting content every month, so that period was the best time for me (other than the launch content). However, I do think the new expansion will be at least worth the $15.

Edited by Ciarayn

I liked the chapter format and getting content every month, so that period was the best time for me (other than the launch content). However, I do think the new expansion will be at least worth the $15.

Piggybacking on that. They totally could have sold this expansion for like 20 bucks if they wanted to but by having people only need subbing it continues to be an awesome way to draw people in.

Today we are happy to announce our next expansion - Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught! The expansion will launch free for all subscribers this September. New planets, flashpoint, Operation, large itemization changes codenamed “The Spoils of War” and more will be featured in this expansion! You can learn all about Onslaught in our Expansion Announcement article, here.

In honor of our Celebration Cantina we are sharing with everyone a redeemable code: SWCELEBRATION19. Simply redeem that code on your account for a Celebration inspired character flair and four stronghold decorations.

Upon working on PVP class balance with new expansion, I strongly recommend to decrease TTK (Time To Kill). There are three ways to achieve this:

1. Remove all defensive skills safe the tank classes. Guard and heal will be more appreciated but not an overkill. Less complicated to work towards class balance.

2. Increase damage done significantly without increasing HP. In this scenario, using defensives wisely will be more important, pushing gameplay towards a more tactical approach.

3. Damage and heal output should not be solely determined by discipline progression, but 30-50% via Utilities. Force players to choose what suits their playstyle better: survavibility/mobility or damage output (glass cannon). This is the most difficult to balance, but will probably please the most.