Sith Assassin Feedback

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

If you are looking to get started on PTS, please check the Welcome to Phase 1 post, here. Please use this thread to share your thoughts on the Assassin tactical items and set bonuses after getting your hands on them on PTS.

Be sure to be as specific as possible in your feedback!

-eric

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be slightly overpowered, but immune to all immobolization effects while force speed is active.

This would be a good tactical item.

Including ccs and hardstuns.

Edited by Delani

The set bonuses for assassin specifically for deception are very underwhelming. You get some stat buffs for 2 and 4 piece set bonus and then the 6 piece bonus are worthless. You will largely never be using phantom stride from stealth so the crit is going to be unused. Especially since you use phantom stride to proc your discharge it really seems like you will never get any value out of it. The other options are either inherently defensive or just give some more melee damage.

In the original post about set bonuses you listed this

Death Knell – Killing an enemy during Overcharge Saber refreshes the duration of Overcharge Saber. Can occur up to 5 times during one Overcharge Saber.

However on PTS the death knell set does something completely different and just gives a refreshing melee buff which is not as impactful as the over charge one so I don't know why it was changed.

Overall compared to the set bonuses on the live server these seem to be much less inspired having minor stat buffs on the 2 and 4 piece bonuses doesn't even make mixing and matching worthwhile since only the 6 piece bonus has any impact on gameplay. There seem to be more diverse set bonus options for the general items and for other classes.

When using the Tactical Item that gives Phantom Stride two charges (Herra's Persistance), there is no cool down text that shows on it once you use the second charge. Is it possible to have a cool down text added to this when it is on 0 charges?

Anyone tried out Hatred sin?

I'm in the process of creating one.

My complaint is after I selected Hatred and choosed all my utilities, I went to the vendor and it lists EVERY SET OF GEAR. Whether I selected Hatred or Deception or Darkness, it showed me ALL the gear for every spec. I didn't know which set to choose from. Yeah, I narrowed down my selection by realizing this set is for tanks, oh another set for tanks, um I think this set is for tanks and that one. Now I had 4 sets of gear to choose from and so I just picked the one I think is best suited for a Hatred Assassin. I'm not sure if I have selected the right set or not.

Edited by Banthabreeder

Set bonuses for deception are completely useless. Where are you gonna use phantom stride from stealth except for the opener? Also, we need less cd's on recklessness since cd is now 1.23 min, and using force cloak doesn't reset immediately.

2 phantom stride tactical doesn't have a cd text, and from what I can see it makes no sense, loading times is very high even for a one charge

I'll be blunt, just because I know of what I'm talking about and I don't want this class to be played just because of its cool concept but also for its viability in what will be the next meta.

If for casual players these *things* may not seem a big problem or some may even look "interesting to try", for me they were not.

Most of Deception TI and bonuses are straight awful and make no sense whatsoever. They have no synergy, no creativity and some must be just plain troll (PS from Stealth gives the next ability an autocrit??).

You took away the Set cd reduction on Recklessness which is a huge penalty in terms of damage.

Hatred buffs are bad and mostly a copy/paste of Madness. Hell, you didn't even have the decency to remember that Hatred spreads with Lacerate instead of Deathfield. And btw who cares of spreading Force Slow in the first place?!

Darkness is gonna get good buffs, like every other tank AGAIN will do, since you apparenly want us to spend a whole day in pvp to kill a tank+healer. TTK is gonna be longer than relationships I had.

You have given us a new skill that is totally worthless in pve and arguably so in pvp.

Do you want us to compare this stuff with what Concealment is gonna receive? Because we have seen it already.

My feedback is that you should hire someone competent that understands how Assassin/Shadow works in ranked and nim ops, seriously. For some reason you're creating a huge gap between this dps class and the rest and it would be great if some of you up there could realize this.

Meanwhile we have Juggs spamming Vengeful Slams, Lightning parsing crazy numbers, Maras globalling people with absurd bursts and Operatives with Phase Walks, buffed rolls and double stuns. I'm not even gonna talk about Sniper, but that's another mess right there.

Just get someone good at playing your own game and ask him what's the place of sins in all this, aside hiding out of the fight with his double cloak.

Thank you very much.

Edited by TheDramaKing

I'll be blunt, just because I know of what I'm talking about and I don't want this class to be played just because of its cool concept but also for its viability in what will be the next meta.

If for casual players these *things* may not seem a big problem or some may even look "interesting to try", for me they were not.

Most of Deception TI and bonuses are straight awful and make no sense whatsoever. They have no synergy, no creativity and some must be just plain troll (PS from Stealth gives the next ability an autocrit??).

You took away the Set cd reduction on Recklessness which is a huge penalty in terms of damage.

Hatred buffs are bad and mostly a copy/paste of Madness. Hell, you didn't even have the decency to remember that Hatred spreads with Lacerate instead of Deathfield. And btw who cares of spreading Force Slow in the first place?!

Darkness is gonna get good buffs, like every other tank AGAIN will do, since you apparenly want us to spend a whole day in pvp to kill a tank+healer. TTK is gonna last longer than relationships I had.

You have given us a new skill that is totally worthless in pve and arguably so in pvp.

Do you want us to compare this stuff with what Concealment is gonna receive? Because we know it already.

My feedback is that you should hire someone competent that understands how Assassin/Shadow works in ranked and nim ops, seriously. For some reason you're creating a huge gap between this dps class and the rest and it would be great if some of you up there could realize this.

Meanwhile we have Juggs spamming Vengeful Slams, Lightning parsing crazy numbers, Maras globalling people with absurd bursts and Operatives with Phase Walks, buffed rolls and double stuns. I'm not even gonna talk about Sniper, but that's another mess right there.

Just get someone good at playing your own game and ask him what's the place of sins on all this, aside hiding out of the fight with his double cloak.

Thank you very much.

You are aware that balance isn't part of this pts phase, right?

So from what ive seen so far with testing:

Sin tank has just gotten better. We were already the preferred tank for pve and we just got a new cd in spike or overload. Of these 2 set bonuses the spike one i found more useful as it make spike a more powerful cd than overload plus the 3% armor rating was useless increase to dr. Tatical items wise generally the dr from wither was the most useful. I can see where shroud for your guarded target is useful. The least useful was the extended shroud as shroud is generally use to cheese mechanics and those rnt longer than shrouds duration.

For dps i can see to viable dps set bonuses. The first one is an option for all dps classes with the 4 piece that increases power bu 25% and reduces armor by 50%. This can be used in any fight where dps dont take a lot of damage. Sins at least unlike jugs and maras hav a 2 piecd set bonus. For this 2 piece u can take the 2% power increase. For fights that u take a lot of damage since sins can guard a fellow raid member the general set bonus that has u do more damage while guarding a target along with the same w piece seems to be the best.

Overall outside of the tank set the generic sets seem to be stronger for pve. The new ability is worthless as it does less damage that a buffed lacerate (which u now take as there is nothing else generally useful in skillful tier). This has to be a lot stronger to even be or proc something in the rotation to even get used.

Darkness is gonna get good buffs, like every other tank AGAIN will do, since you apparenly want us to spend a whole day in pvp to kill a tank+healer. TTK is gonna last longer than relationships I had.

Do you want us to compare this stuff with what Concealment is gonna receive? Because we know it already.

Just get someone good at playing your own game and ask him what's the place of sins on all this, aside hiding out of the fight with his double cloak.

Thank you very much.

Yea I noticed inquistors in general are lacking compared to agents and warriors. Sin tank and lightning as well are getting amazing changes tho. DPS Assassin and Madness sorcerer need buffs.

Darkness:

Tactical: Friend of the Force

Found this tactical to be situational at best for pve. The force shroud need uptick in time for this to be effective tactical.

Tactical: Ancient Tome of Wrath

Found this to be very fun and useful in mob groups

Jed

Some thoughts...

"Severing Slash" - I didn't even add this in as an ability to actually use. Seems mostly to be a very short aoe slow. I dunno, I might see using it if I go into "help the healer" mode, to try to slow pursuers down. On the other hand, since it does dmg too, I'd be worried it would break mezzes and soft stuns that the healer or other helpers were putting down themselves. For trying to keep my dps number up in arenas for example (which is mostly what I got on the PTS), this is a waste.

"go to sleep, go to sleep" - allows mezzing 2 targets. Seems to work. In practice I'm not sure it did much good (in pvp at least). I tried it out in an arena a couple times. Takes a fair amount of coordination and some luck to catch 2 people before they get in combat. Might be useful for trying to cap a double-guarded pylon if the two people are foolish enough to stand too close together?

Herra's Persistence - 2 phantom strides. At first I thought this was going to be pretty cool, allowing almost double the fully proc'd discharges. I guess it does for a single "burst phase". But then you have to wait two full cooldowns for it to completely recharge before you can use it twice again. So, really, for "sustained" dps I don't think it matters much. I wish it worked like the operative roll, where you can use it and then if you use it again within the 30 second, then you can't use it for a full 30 seconds, but then after that 30 seconds you get both charges back. Also, I didn't check it, but the mechanic seems to be the same as used for the new mara ability with 5 charges - and the new mara ability doesn't reset between arena rounds, so I guess this one might not either. I think they both should.

May Cause Injury - supposed to spread Surging Discharge - as reported in the bug forum, seems to not do anything.

The Awakened Flame - ball lighting adds a short dot - seems to work. Not too exciting.

Friend of the Force - as a DPS, and with shroud only last 3 second, this seems pretty not useful to me at all. While I like saving friends/team mates, I'd rather save it for myself.

Blade of the Elements - this is kinda nice. Effectively makes Voltaic Slash crit 100% of the time. This is probably the tactical I would run given the others we have right now.

The Life Warden - heals you if you take dmg at below 20% health - this isn't actually a class/spec specific tactical - but it does heal a LOT. I went from below 20% to nearly full heath when it popped. 10 minute cooldown is HUGE though, and it doesn't reset between arena rounds. Might be worth running it for one round - although, since anyone can use it that would give mercs 4 lives. Heh.

[Edit: oh, and "of the controller" set bonus - I must not understand this one. "If an enemy affected by whirlwind is killed before the CD, then it resets the CD of whirlwind." But WW breaks on damage, so wouldn't that mean that this set would only proc if someone in WW was killed by the very next hit? Because as soon as they are hit, then they are not affected by WW anymore? ]

Edited by Banderal

As others have previously stated for DPS set bonuses they do feel underwhelming, to say the least. Most of the useful set bonuses are only available at the 6th piece requirement leaving little room for extra customization, as Onslaught wants us to play our way I'd suggest either looking at a few of the 2/4 set bonuses and buffing them a bit or making the actual gameplay impact require 5 pieces so you can at least have an extra set bonus.

As far as Tactical Items I haven't tried them all out yet but Quick Escalation and Two Time Trouble seem to give roughly the same amount of DPS, though Quick Escalation can quickly draw your Force away fast if you're not smart with its usage. I'd suggest either increasing the chance that Two Time Trouble ticks or perhaps adding Discharge to the mix as well. Otherwise Assassins will get way behind in terms of DPS compared to the Sith Marauder and Sith Juggernaut. As far as Quick Excalation I'd suggest cutting back on the critical chance increase and reducing the Force cost, as it is I believe it consumes Force way too quickly for it to be viable, especially when its DPS seems roughly the same as Two Time Trouble.

Ward of the Continuum seems nice but its kind of redundant to be honest as far as Dark Ward goes, though the ability to instantly get rid of the CD is nice. Whatever the wither's tactical is is really nice, that coupled with the set bonus that gives you extra damage resist whenever you use spike will be a great add to Sith Assassins, all I wish was that we had some manner of self-healing beyond overcharge saber. Perhaps a Tactical Item tied to Depredating Volts?

How do the Set Bonuses look and feel while playing?

I have only had time to mess with just the one SB, the 6 piece Robes of Murderous Revelation. I too am a little disappointed at the available options for 2 and 4 bonuses. I'm hoping that they are changed up later on and some are mostly just placeholder.

How do the Tactical Items look and feel while playing?

Heh! Fun! I haven't had much time this PTS run to test it much before the next patch goes up, but I look forward to playing with them during and after PTS.

How easy or hard is it to understand what certain Set Bonuses, Tactical Items, or Amplifiers do?

From what I saw for Assassin SB, it's straight forward. Tactical items are for the most part. Tactical items like Luck Always Changes has nothing to indicate when it stops stacking. There's also one Tactical item that doesn't have a description, just the cheeky text about clarity of mind.

Amplifiers, I know they're not fully implemented, sine aren't clear on what they do. Several (that I saw) are straight forward, while others are not. Like "Force Sensitivity" and "Force Harmonization". What do those do exactly. I can venture a guess and most likely be close. But what exactly do they do?

Which Set Bonuses, Tactical Items, or Amplifiers seem underpowered or overpowered, and why?

The Herra's Persistence tactical item needs to have a brief CD to prevent players from accidentally triggering both stride charges. It can go off so fast they practically happen at the exact same time. It doesn't have to be for more than half a second, just long enough to stop instantaneous double activation.

Edited by HKtheindomitable

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something. Severing Slash. It's kinda cool, but feels quite useless. I never ever used what it replaced before (low slash or whatever it was) that reduced movement speed as it was fairly (if not completely) useless in PvE. And since it just does the same as before but in an AoE cone... it's going to not be used just as much.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something. Severing Slash. It's kinda cool, but feels quite useless. I never ever used what it replaced before (low slash or whatever it was) that reduced movement speed as it was fairly (if not completely) useless in PvE. And since it just does the same as before but in an AoE cone... it's going to not be used just as much.

what would you suggest is a better ability rather than severing slash?

I'm in the process of creating one.

My complaint is after I selected Hatred and choosed all my utilities, I went to the vendor and it lists EVERY SET OF GEAR. Whether I selected Hatred or Deception or Darkness, it showed me ALL the gear for every spec. I didn't know which set to choose from. Yeah, I narrowed down my selection by realizing this set is for tanks, oh another set for tanks, um I think this set is for tanks and that one. Now I had 4 sets of gear to choose from and so I just picked the one I think is best suited for a Hatred Assassin. I'm not sure if I have selected the right set or not.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be on a vacation from Saturday so I'll install PTS etc.

The reason I'm worried about these set bonuses for Sins is that I main one all the way back from 2014 and I've been through all changes, buffs and BW hammers when it comes to Deception, Hatred and Darkness

Literally I can play them blindfolded and I'm interested to test it. The only worry I have, is that my feedback on it will do nothing and over the years I've PM'd Musco, wrote who knows how many posts with suggestions on what should improve etc and it literally did nothing.

You put all that effort for nothing and after that you just give up trying to make blind ppl see. :)

I'll give it one more go in hope that someone will read/listen.

So far, these tacticals and set bonuses for Deception and Hatred look quite bad compared to Mara's and not to mention Operatives who from what I've seen will be, one man army.

Force Cloak should reset recklessness. Its an essential part of the rotation for deception. This shouldn't be taken away. I understand that Herra's persistence tactical gives us two charges for phantom stride to make up for that in a way, but if we don't take that tactical, we lose the reset. Please bring this back.

what would you suggest is a better ability rather than severing slash?

An excellent question, one which I would like to answer. However I only had a chance to play around with Hatred Assassin. Since it's for the AC and not just one discipline, I have some ideas, but cannot say quite yet. When it returns I'll have a better answer.