Make it harder to accidentally de-construct set items

chosonman

I've already done this several times. I accidentally click an item and it swaps out my inventory gear with the set item I had equipped. And without realizing it I deconstruct it with millions of credits with of mods and amplifier rolls down the drain. This is very frustrating. I've seen at least one youtuber do the same thing. Please do something about this. I wanted to rage quit the second time.

If you mean, put up a warning every time you deconstruct an item, you might get a lot of complaints. And even if it was toggleable would you really want it popping up for each item. off the bat, that's the only thing I can think of, what do you have in mind?

I have done this on occasion myself. I tried to make a habit of always dragging and dropping items, but it didn’t stick.

A warning whenever a player unequips a previously modified gear piece through a right-click might help. Four conditions would need to be met to trigger the warning:

1. The warning should not have been disabled in player options

2. A gear piece is being unequipped (replaced)

3. The gear piece is being unequipped (replaced) using right-click of mouse

4. The gear piece was modified in some way by some character after the game created it

Condition (4) above could be removed for even more caution (and warnings.)

I have done this on occasion myself. I tried to make a habit of always dragging and dropping items, but it didn’t stick.

A warning whenever a player unequips a previously modified gear piece through a right-click might help. Four conditions would need to be met to trigger the warning:

1. The warning should not have been disabled in player options

2. A gear piece is being unequipped (replaced)

3. The gear piece is being unequipped (replaced) using right-click of mouse

4. The gear piece was modified in some way by some character after the game created it

Sounds good, but as long as the warnings can be toggled off for those that don't want or need it :)

I think 4 would have to be removed because it would allow warning-free destruction of brand-new set gear from Kai Zykken (which has 306s because you have 306s, but either not-yet-modified amps or good amps)... It would qualify as never-modified in this case.

A lock flag would be nice. Activate it and the item can't be deconstructed or sold.

For an automatic warning, set bonus and augmentation slots would be good indicators for gear we might not actually want to deconstruct. Just "item was modified" would be annoying when it includes ripping out the useful mods before deconstructing the rest.

Edited by Mubrak

Would it be possible to let the player have an "lock" option on a piece of armor that they don't want to be deconstruct?

So that people who don't have the problem won't be bother by the extra warnings, and people who do have a way to prevent it.

A lock option on armour would be fantastic, not just for deconstruction but for selling too, how many times have people sold stuff like the exp armour without meaning too.

A lock option on armour would be fantastic, not just for deconstruction but for selling too, how many times have people sold stuff like the exp armour without meaning too.

Solution: Craftable [item Lock] (aka "The Club")

• can be made by all professions
    - (I'd suggest G2 & 3 materials since they are not used for a whole lots these days)
  • Can be applied to any wearable item to prevent sale to vendor, recycling, drag & drop deletion, or equipping that item on a companion
    - (since there is still no way to unbind ALT+CLICK to equip items to companion instead of character - this will prevent 'loosing' items to your companion of the moment via mis-click)
  • Player must pay a small fee (say 200 credits) to specifically remove the [item Lock] to allow that items disposal
    - (Item Lock is destroyed on removal)

Edited by Kaveat

Well it just happed AGAIN. Somehow I swapped out my pants while playing Kuat FP. I ended up with some Kuat pants and my set gear is gone. #$%#$%#^$$#%^$@%@%!!!!

For now, all I can suggest is to use an artificer to make use of some of those more eye rendering color dyes to try to help make those 'to keep' sets more visible to the eye when you are surfing tool tips to sort out your recycling.

I agree, pop-ups would be annoying and wouldn't stop the problem. I would probably select the disable pop-up option after the first time and it would be pointless. A lock option on the gear would be a better option IMO or just make set items un-deconstructable. At least if I sell it I have the option of buying it back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I find it kinda weird that you do this so often. Personally, I have not (yet) accidentally deconstructed a piece of set gear that I wanted to keep (not saying it'll never happened but it hasn't happened yet). But for you it seems to happen all the time and I'm honestly just baffled. Now granted I don't swap gear between alts but even then I also don't accidentally swap out gear for some other random thing I have in my inventory. I don't want to seem unsympathetic but seriously maybe pay more attention to things before you deconstruct them.

At any rate, I think maybe the best solution would be a lock for gear, like what we have for our hotbars. A pop up message would just get ignored like people ignore most pop up messages and then the complaints will either be "ew another pop up message" or "I clicked through the pop up message and did the thing anyway" (which happens frequently). We don't need a craftable item to do this either, that seems unnecessarily roundabout. Just put in a lock button on our gear screen. I know we'll get other people saying "I didn't click the lock button" but there's really only so much the devs can do to protect us from ourselves.

I play 18 characters and hop back and forth between all of them. It's a logistical challenge to keep them geared while i play ever since they made end game gearing super grindy. The fact that i have so much grear stored in cargo and switch so often makes fat clicking gear by accident easy to do. I was able to find my gear this time but not after searching for a while. Edited by chosonman