When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

We have recreated this thread because the previous version has exceeded our post threshold of 1,000 posts. Please continue to use this thread for any discussion related to whether or not there will be Server Merges.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

Thank you for understanding.

Instead of simply a merge, I think the best option would be a hybrid of transfers and merge.

1. Characters get free transfers to any server, during a 1 month window.

--------a. All legacy characters count as one transfer.

--------b. Players are prompted for name change when they select a new server (if the name is already taken). Same with legacy name. That way, players can poke around and find a server that doesn't conflict with their name, if that's a big issue to them.

--------c. The first transfer is free. Additional transfers would be charged.

2. Anyone who did not leave their home server within this 1 month window will be merged with several others. These stragglers should have no reason to complain about the merge/required name change, because they had plenty of time to take their own initiative.

-----------------------

This way, there should also be some natural faction balancing, with Empire players choosing servers with higher Republic population (more to kill) and Reps choosing servers with fewer imperials. (Hopefully...)

It also gives players choice, and sounds better to investors ("free transfers and eventual merge" sounds less like an emergency measure than a hard merge).

Edited by Stenrik

Low populated servers need to merge as soon as possible. The lack activity makes people quit and things just get worse for the bunch of us who stay: no wz, no fp, empty action house...A first step in the right direction would be crossed realm warzones, but it's urgent that you deal with this low populated servers or sooner than you think they'll be empty.

Totally agree, the servers are dead and a merge must happen soon. I am stuck because I do not want to progress my char and miss out the on the Flashpoints.

Plus if I start new low lvl chars I just end up in the same place.

All I am doing now is logging in and then logging out again just to check if people are online, not worth paying for if thats all I can do.

Is a merge going to happen and when?

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

No need for server merges. Bioware told us the number of subscribers is increasing and if we remember correctly all the servers were full around christmas. So if anything bioware needs to increase the number of servers by 2-3 the amount and offer free transfers from old servers to the new ones. We don't want hour long ques and thousands of people on the fleets.

unless ofc bioware was trolling us. :rolleyes:

No need for server merges. Bioware told us the number of subscribers is increasing and if we remember correctly all the servers were full around christmas. So if anything bioware needs to increase the number of servers by 2-3 the amount and offer free transfers from old servers to the new ones. We don't want hour long ques and thousands of people on the fleets.

There are still 40-50 ppl on Fleet every evening ... so i guess you could populate up to 40 or 50 Servers with them ...

There are still 40-50 ppl on Fleet every evening ... so i guess you could populate up to 40 or 50 Servers with them ...

yea when both factions are under 100 total in fleet...and ilum is low as well.... we do a server check and find that all zones and phases combined....under 600 total on server at any time....

DEAD server.

Mergers a must this week.

Guild summit is discussing this and if we are not given a solid yes to mergers and a date...then we have already agreed we will turn as a group and walk out the door.

IMPACT

I agree with this. I would like to add...a cross server "looking for group" feature would solve the issues with finding others to do Flashpoints and Operations with. No need to transfer players to different servers if that was added.

if they merge then that the internet blog/media/etc. will spin that as the game failing. what they should do is offer free transfers instead and then make the empty servers "trial servers" ala rift. then one year from now when nobody cares, shut them down. Edited by xioix

Regarding server faction imbalances... Either drop class/faction restrictions and allow faction switching, or at least allow class swapping, to balance factions. I'll never change faction until one of these happen, because grinding characters in this game is fun the first time, so-so the second and just a pain in the floggin' butt after that. I'll never grind up a character just to balance out server faction. However, allowing server transfers would also help this problem.

The more important issue is over half the population (at least on Hydian Way) apparently not re-subbing. Holy crap, last night (saturday) at like 23:30 there were maybe 20 people on the imperial fleet station. A month ago there were like 200, I was expecting the fire marshall to come in and tell people they had to leave because it was overcrowded. You couldn't even see the GTN terminals.

You can tell that the first month of paid subscriptions is over... and just how much people really loved the game and wanted to stay with it.

I really don't think that change came about because of server imbalance, but it is a problem. If BW doesn't come up with free transfers or server merges soon they'll be losing my subscription, too. Who wants to play an MMO on an empty server? And, who wants to grind up 30 characters as they jump servers looking for decent populations?

Edited by bahdasz

yea when both factions are under 100 total in fleet...and ilum is low as well.... we do a server check and find that all zones and phases combined....under 600 total on server at any time....

DEAD server.

Mergers a must this week.

Guild summit is discussing this and if we are not given a solid yes to mergers and a date...then we have already agreed we will turn as a group and walk out the door.

IMPACT

What are you saying? That if BW does not announce a server merge at the summit, the guild leaders involved in the summit have met and decided that they will actually leave in the middle of the summit?

Edited by Destronicus

I agree with this. I would like to add...a cross server "looking for group" feature would solve the issues with finding others to do Flashpoints and Operations with. No need to transfer players to different servers if that was added.

Of course Warzones would be fixed aswell. But your forgetting:

Lack of players would mean the following:

Unable to complete world content such as heroic 2/4 man quests because there are still a lack of people on that server.

Lack of items on the GTN because again, lack of people means the economy is not flourishing as it would be on a healthy populated server.

Lack of guilds with experienced members / enough people to be able to complete raid content.

Cross server is a band-aid solution to a bigger problem. Unless they make a cross-server GTN, cross-server LFG for heroic phases ect ect - But those are silly ideas - They need transfers or migration asap for the low populated and suffering realms.

It solves one problem, but neglects the bigger picture.

I tried to make a post in an effort to help grow population on my server by advertising for people who are new or rerolling to do so on kathol rift. I posted it on general because it has the highest number of users and in advertising getting the most people to see your ad is key.

My post was promptly moved to the community forum where it is guaranteed to die a slow death and a minimal number of views.

If BW doesn't want to do anything about low pop servers fine but actively discouraging the users from trying to do something about it is insulting. Especially considering the number of flame bait posts that can be encountered on general. Why not move those and leave my genuine post?

I tried to make a post in an effort to help grow population on my server by advertising for people who are new or rerolling to do so on kathol rift. I posted it on general because it has the highest number of users and in advertising getting the most people to see your ad is key.

My post was promptly moved to the community forum where it is guaranteed to die a slow death and a minimal number of views.

If BW doesn't want to do anything about low pop servers fine but actively discouraging the users from trying to do something about it is insulting. Especially considering the number of flame bait posts that can be encountered on general. Why not move those and leave my genuine post?

I did see that post, and in all honesty quite a shame.

I don't know why this forum is called "General Discussion" because anything General or remotely useful, such as your post, is just either removed or closed. Along with the fact posts such as getting an Email from your companion can obtain a response from a moderator in 19 minutes, and a topic such as this hasn't been addressed in however many days now.

Censorship at its best <3

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=340169&highlight=email - Link to the thread I was referring to and based upon the time of each response.

Edited by Mysquine

I did see that post, and in all honesty quite a shame.

I don't know why this forum is called "General Discussion" because anything General or remotely useful, such as your post, is just either removed or closed. Along with the fact posts such as getting an Email from your companion can obtain a response from a moderator in 19 minutes, and a topic such as this hasn't been addressed in however many days now.

Censorship at its best <3

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=340169&highlight=email - Link to the thread I was referring to and based upon the time of each response.

Crevasse City had it's lvl 50 PVP Queue broken since the introduction of patch 1.1. Despite constant tickets, forum posts, and phone calls, we never received any update and never had anyone respond to us. No one ever updated us. Just one day it was fixed, and one person was notified that the "server code was corrupted".

But yesterday I put in a ticket about not being able to abandon quests. Sure enough, got a response in 9 minutes.

Priorities, people!

No doubt some servers should be merged...

Personally all I want is to be able to transfer my characters and Legacy Points to a server of my choosing.

I don't mind paying for the service either.

Edited by OnlyOneWing

I play on the EU server Uthar Wynn and in the last week we've hemorrhaged players we're down to 140 reps on the entire server and a similar number of imps (used to be a faction imbalance buts thats evaporated with most of the player base) off peak we have 15-20 people on fleet and at peak times 25-35.

This is nothing like the population we had a couple of weeks ago, some friends are rerolling imp on a healthy server its a shame I hope the merges come soon im not much of an alt playing person and will probably get bored and unsubscribe before reaching end game again.