Depth of companion stories

Lu_Bei

Want me to spoil the plot of almost every companion story other than your first one?

Here it goes:

Scene 1:

"So, I knew this guy from my past"

Scene 2:

"So, I found that guy. I'm going to go get him. Oh, no, you can't come. See you later"

Scene 3:

"I finished my business with that guy in my past. Now you can forget I was ever here."

Just about every companion plays out like this. Granted, there are a lot of gems buried in there, but the formula is very predictable. Would it be too much to ask if all companions had missions like your first one? That, to me, is a lot more amusing than hanging around the ship and listening to your companions describe what they did. It might not seem like much, but going to Dromund Kaas for a hunting trip with my companion is a lot more engaging than hearing him describe how he thinks it'll go, then him saying "well, yeah, it went how I thought it would". I don't mind flying to some place I haven't been to in awhile to change thinks up. Take us off the rails a bit so the world can feel dynamic.

And then we have main companion storylines. I'd say that Vette had a very good one. Mako

on the other hand had the most shallow back story ever. Oh, she's a clone. Who didn't see that coming the first second Coral showed up? And I'm given no option throughout. I HAVE to kill her sister. I have to help the Republic take Coral. Why? Why would I help them? There's no motivation.

Hopefully, though, all companion stories will continue in patches and expansions, etc. As it stands, all companions basically end their stories on "well, can't wait to see what the future holds". That, and Bowdaar

talking about how he's racist

that applies to some characters, but not all of them.

ashara for example is your 3rd companion for the inquisitor and she has the most depth and most interesting story of any of the characters you get.

risha has a unique and interesting story arch as well.

kira is far more important to the JK story than silly T7.

sure some of them fall into your theory, but alot don't. hell Khem is pretty damn pointless except service as some deus ex machina mcguffin for a story point that could have easily been ANYTHING else lol. aside from that he serves absolutely no point. literally every other inquisitor companion is more important lol if you disregard his mcguffin status.

the depth of the story itself is mediocre.. compared to mass effect 2 anyways.. no sense of imminent danger... no world changing choices. guess its because its an MMO...oh well

I have no idea why you would compare this to Mass Effect..especially Mass Effect 2. Totally different genres, different priorities, different game mechanics. The only thing they share is a dialogue wheel, and even then its still very different.

In all the things that go into an MMO, having very diverse companions along with quests and such aren't very high on the to-do list. They did well.

i honestly play this game for the companions, unless theres other mmos with a system like this that i dont know of? ( i live under a rock)

i honestly play this game for the companions, unless theres other mmos with a system like this that i dont know of? ( i live under a rock)

Not really, this game is marketed on the Story/Class content because its BioWare's specialty (Mass Effect, Jade Empire, etc). Its a bit of a special case as far as the latest generation of MMOs.

It depends on the companions.

For instance, I've found the trooper companions fairly bland, other than maybe Aric and Vik. A lot of this, I think, is because they're all so "Rah, Rah, Republic" that there's no tension. With the exception of Vik, they all get along and yeah...it's kind of boring. Elara's got a bit of a sad past, but it's resolved pretty quickly and doesn't seem to trouble her all that much. It's nice at one level, but yeah...pretty bland.

OTOH, I loved pretty much all of agent's companions. They all interact a fair amount, their companion storylines intersect, and they most definitely do not get along. (In fact, they spend a fair amount of time spying on each other and betraying each other. I'm honestly kind of surprised that I haven't come back to the docking bay to find a giant crater where my ship used to be, and learn that all of my companions have scattered to the winds, other than Vector, who's standing in the middle of the crater with a confused look on his face.)

So it depends. Some classes have more interesting companions than others. Some companion storylines are more interesting than others.

OTOH, I loved pretty much all of agent's companions. They all interact a fair amount, their companion storylines intersect, and they most definitely do not get along. (In fact, they spend a fair amount of time spying on each other and betraying each other. I'm honestly kind of surprised that I haven't come back to the docking bay to find a giant crater where my ship used to be, and learn that all of my companions have scattered to the winds, other than Vector, who's standing in the middle of the crater with a confused look on his face.)

" agent... some crazy songs were sung while you were away o.o;;; "

Vette's story isn't shallow at all.

When I found out how her mother had died, it was like a punch in the gut even though I never met the damned NPC. Vette's sister is also a painfully realistic character, working as a stripper at best and a prostitute at worst, and then hooking up with some powerful old guy. Ugh.

Edited by alricka

" agent... some crazy songs were sung while you were away o.o;;; "

Just wait. It's going to happen. I imagine him blinking a few times, going on a bit about the song of the electrons, before finally explaining that whatever happened was far beyond their ability to understand.

In all the things that go into an MMO, having very diverse companions along with quests and such aren't very high on the to-do list. They did well.

Considering that the whole diverse companions with compelling and interesting backstories which you will be involved in resolving was a huge selling point of the game... no, they didn't do well.

I've only been through the Sith Warrior fully at this point, and there was a marked difference between Vette and all the others. The others were interesting to listen to, but there was no interactivity or involvement on my part. It was primarily "Yea... I'm going to go take care of that stuff we just talked about, I'll be back in an hour or so *blackscreen* Kay, I'm back. It's totally dealt with, we're good." The closest to "interactive" any of them were was Quinn's,

where you get to talk to Moff Broysc via holo and then when he's brought aboard the ship.

Compared to Vette's where you actually help her out and have some interaction in resolving her problem, there's a drastic difference.

I hope that in future expansions we'll get to go on our companions mission, or perhaps, play as our companions on those missions.

I think that would be loads of fun, and help to give us insight into their personalities.

I have no idea why you would compare this to Mass Effect..especially Mass Effect 2. Totally different genres, different priorities, different game mechanics. The only thing they share is a dialogue wheel, and even then its still very different.

Why wouldn't you compare the two? Mass Effect introduced the dialogue wheel in the first place, plus it's made by the same company. I only know of 3 series out there that use the dialogue wheel, all made by Bioware (ME series, DA2, and Swtor). ME is the first thing you would compare any RPG elements in this game to.

Just wait. It's going to happen. I imagine him blinking a few times, going on a bit about the song of the electrons, before finally explaining that whatever happened was far beyond their ability to understand.

he would probably go on about " the hive" nose-diving into chaos, while using his odd, complex vocabulary, painting a very poetic, and visual account of what happened XD

So it depends. Some classes have more interesting companions than others. Some companion storylines are more interesting than others.

I laughed at this :D I've yet to get SCORPIO, so the parade isn't full quite yet, but we're getting there :D

I found the Jedi Consular companions interesting, I just wish they had spaced them better. Nadia's storyline is really, really rushed, especially if you romance her, it's just over before you realise it...

Aside from that I really wish to see how they pan out in a future story expansion, especially Quizen and Iresso :)

Aside from that I really wish to see how they pan out in a future story expansion, especially Quizen and Iresso :)

Yeah, I feel the same way. Some of the companions feel like they got their full story arc (at least in agent, which is the only one where I've gotten through all 5 companion's stories), while others felt like they were just getting started. I'm really hoping for an expansion to flesh out the "missing' stories, if you will.

OMG, you just gave everything away about that thing what that guy!! The game is ruined now... About that guy with that thing he did that one time involving that other guy :)

I totally get your point OP, but the entire story - any story - could be summarized at a certain level as "there was a guy once who did this thing and this was the result", with a sequel of seeing how that thing turned out. There's a bit more to the companion stories in terms of color, but is there really enough time to explore all their pasts? To be honest, the great thing about a hero's journey is the side kick doesn't hog the spotlight too much :)