Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, so is this why some people might need newer drivers than are available for their video chips?

I was wondering as there weren't any graphics changes listed in the patch notes I could see.

We need lots more testing on this to nail down the crash to desktop problems in 1.5 and see if it related to needing newer drivers as some manufacturers unfortunately don't update their customised drivers for OEM on-board chip setups so affected computers which meet the minimum specs may be unable to run the game after 1.5.

To some it might seem like such a small thing; especially given how many players feel there are still glaring bugs that should be take priority above this sort of thing. However, to devote the time and energy to do the 'little' things like this shows that you guys care about your players and the worlds you've created for us to play in.

So on behalf of the players who do enjoy the game; to everyone here that runs the site and the forums, and to everyone at BioWare and EA and LucasArts; thank you for caring to give us updates like this.

The worlds themself in SWTOR looks really great,this is just even better for us that likes to be immersed.

I love this as well.

..................but the last time we tried to do something like this in 1.4..the game broke...I'm bracing for lag-agedon.

Really wish Bioware would stop putting so much effort into how shiny the foliage in the game is and fix balance problems and bugs.

I just imagine the devs sitting around a table coming up with their priorities for 1.5 and saying, "you know, we still have some major bugs to address, and the DPS classes need some serious balance fixes, but there is a rock somewhere on Tatooine that doesn't look just right. Let's get right on that."

I like these kinds of changes to the game tbh, I didn't actually experience any of the bugs with the shadows and prefer them now to before when the looked like they belonged to minecraft, look forward to experiencing this update as well just hope it doesn't cause any bugs. :D

I am going to need to update my video card very soon lol.

But still nice to see this kind of improvement. I spend more time in the game looking at the enviorment then most anything else actually. Though would still be awesome to eventually see day and night cycles on the planets.

Firstly I'd really like to see whether any of you agree/disagree with my post:

Some armours in-game seem fairly flat (the designs are clearly meant to be 3D, but they come off as 2 D).

A bit flat: Sorcerer's Robe

Not flat at all: Imperial Containment Officer

So as someone with almost zero IT understanding, do shaders add texture to outfits? So will increasing shader quality reduce flatness?

Edited by AshlaBoga

So as someone with almost zero IT understanding, do shaders add texture to outfits? So will increasing shader quality reduce flatness?

Shaders are about lighting effects.

What you want is more geometry, or at least bump maps. I´d go for tesselation but that would require a DX11 client. SWTOR is DX9.

TSW for example has DX11, e.g. on a beach with rubble, the rubble is not flat, it´s all geometry and therefore has a 3D effect.