Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

22 Character Per Server Limit.....Any plans to increase it?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
22 Character Per Server Limit.....Any plans to increase it?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aryh
01.09.2014 , 02:05 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by RaptorClown View Post
i think 16 would be more than enough so u could have every adv class.
Some people actually enjoy having more than one character of the same AC. Personally, I have 3 Juggernauts because I love the class and the story and because Juggernaut fits my perception of their personalities and story most. I also have two Sorcerers because I love the class (though not neccessarily the story) and because the class fits them most.

There perhaps is no easy explanation to why some people enjoy creating a lot of toons (and actually playing them), but it's a valid play style.
While I do agree that 22 character slots are already fairly generous, I would welcome the possibility to purchase more. After all, the legacy system encourages the creation of alts on a single server.

Einobi
01.09.2014 , 02:29 AM | #22
If people want to play more than 22 char, just let them be. Why go question the why and whether they should? As long as they are paying and spending time in the game, that is good. Why have some constraints preventing this? The cap should be on f2p or preferred player lest it is abused. But for paying customer, it should not be capped. They are paying anyway.

If the question is on the storage cost to swtor when sub goes into preferred for a long period of time, then the consideration is on the cost of an additional slot beyond the 22 char. Make it cost such that it will pay swtor to manage the additional storage for the next 10 years (doubt swtor will survive till then at current rate ). Storage is cheap and it should not cost a lot. It should not be a hard constraint leaving no choice for the customer.

JPryde
01.09.2014 , 02:59 AM | #23
While only few people will ever need more than 22 slots per server, the limit in itself is abitrary and got no technical background.

Storing 350 characters takes up a certain ammount of storage capacity, but it doesn't matter at all, on which server they are. Having 20 Chars on each server or all chars on one server takes the same ammount of storage.... So that cannot be a reason for the limit.

With 16 Chars on on server, it is already easily possible to be a self sufficient crafter (6 chars are enough for that), so that cannot be the reason.

You can only play one char at a time, regardless how many chars you got on your server, so any kind of "crowd control" cannot be the reason.

Each further slot earns money for Bioware/EA at no cost... so I do not see any reason for a hardlimit on char slots. The millions of F2P chars, that were created and never touched again take up a lot more space than the 23rd+ chars of subscribers.

(The OP could however work on his rudeness problem and he also could have renewed the already existing suggestion to lift this limit.)
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
T3-M4
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

kharathos
01.09.2014 , 08:12 AM | #24
Woot, I go to work, come back and 3 pages later.......

Quote: Originally Posted by LegoUniverseBC View Post
Calling me a retard? Telling me I can't read and calling me a whelp? Funny I came here ASKING a simple question on why you needed more slots (Which wasn't offensive at all) and instead you start insulting me and attacking me? I can understand if I was being rude or insulting you but I wasn't. I sincerely hope Eric won't answer your question as you are extremely rude and immature. There is a common rule when posting:

If you have nothing nice to say don't say it.
My mistake was in even responding to your pointless question. On that I will admit mea culpa. I should have just ignored it and you for the pointless post it was. Lesson learnt. But to take your "if you have nothing nice to say" etc and switch it back, if you have nothing relevant to contribute.............

Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You started the topic, people are asking questions and commenting in a PUBLIC DISCUSSION. You made it public.

As a player with 28 characters, 22 on one server and 6 on another, I do not personally feel a need for more characters per server. It's rather easy to spin up on another server, especially in the era of Collections being account wide.

I get that you feel differently, but if you want to initiate a general forum discussion... then be prepared for discussion and different views and perspectives. IF you just want an answer from Eric.. send Eric a PM.
Refer to my point about the question LegoUniverseBC asked being pointless. What should it matter why? I simply wanted to know if it would happen as I am happy on my server and don't want to create more characters on different servers nor do I want to delete what I already have as others have also said and understand in this thread. If you simply do not want 22+ characters, great for you and anyone else of like mind and I thank you for your input but perhaps this thread is not for you. This is for those who do and are also curious since the last 22 slot thread has not had any response from BW in some time. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Quote: Originally Posted by PHInnocent View Post
You're rude, and as such you're obnoxius one. Delete your characters you don't play anymore.
You said earlier you and your imaginary lady wish to start over characters so you can play them again. Do that and delete the ones you've had your fun already.
You do realize 22 or over characters in any game is stupidly overboard and demanding for more is just diligent.
Oh look, an example to prove my lesson learnt. I see an insult towards my wife from some forum nobody in there among other things like assuming he knows what I do and telling me how I should play SWTOR but what was stated is pointless to the question of whether Bioware will increase the magic 22 so just walking away and dismissing it without a proper retort for the pointless post it is.. Just......like.....that!! !

Back to the point of the thread now I have dismissed the pointless, and oh look here is a valid post:

Quote: Originally Posted by Einobi View Post
If people want to play more than 22 char, just let them be. Why go question the why and whether they should? As long as they are paying and spending time in the game, that is good. Why have some constraints preventing this? The cap should be on f2p or preferred player lest it is abused. But for paying customer, it should not be capped. They are paying anyway.

If the question is on the storage cost to swtor when sub goes into preferred for a long period of time, then the consideration is on the cost of an additional slot beyond the 22 char. Make it cost such that it will pay swtor to manage the additional storage for the next 10 years (doubt swtor will survive till then at current rate ). Storage is cheap and it should not cost a lot. It should not be a hard constraint leaving no choice for the customer.
Agreed x a billion. I would think if the Account can have 350 characters across the whole game, surely there is nothing physical server wise in preventing having more then 22 characters on one server. After all it is just information and if they are happy to let f2p accounts fester with unplayed toons, surely a subscriber can be looked after with having more character slots on their preferred server? As some have stated, they don't see the need for more then 22 so it is not like the whole server's population would do it.

Example: If my mathematics do not fail me, if one wanted to play every advanced class in the game which includes same tree specs and both factions (A sorc for example doing madness on one character then doing madness as an assassin), that means you need 48 slots (or 24 if you want to stick to just one faction) which then means 22 really isn't going to cut it now is it?

And yes, there are some of us who like to play every tree.

Hell the incentive is there for Bioware to earn more money from server unlocks as it is. But let's face it, there are quite a number of servers many players cannot play on like European ones due to the major lag encountered so increasing server slots makes sense when looked at from that view also.

Caid_Baraka
01.09.2014 , 08:28 AM | #25
I'd really like to see an increase in character slots. I have 22 characters. I've deleted 2 to roll ACs I haven't played. But I get bored pretty quick once I hit 55. The gear grind does nothing for me. Leveling a new toon is far more entertaining.

So, add more slots. Make them Cartel purchases if you have too.

Elfa
01.09.2014 , 08:35 AM | #26
Maybe they just don't want a server made up entirely of you and your wife's alts.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Glowrod
01.09.2014 , 09:28 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by kharathos View Post
Just as the title says. I have 22 toons on my chosen server so I cannot make more (Wife & I love maxing out then starting over thanks to PVP mostly) and I have no intention of starting over on another server as I am happy with the server I am on. Eric/Bioware, are you able to advise if you are looking to increase the server limit or whether you actually have the ability to increase this (Technology/server capacity wise) at a later date?

Reason I ask is simply because you allow us to make 350 characters overall however I get terrible lag on any server not based on the west coast so that rules out any European or East coast server.
Do you two actually play all 22 toons, or do you max them out and then start over with a new toon? I only have 12 slots on my account (don't want to pay for more) so I started deleting old toons that I don't plan to play again and made room for more new ones.

VIP Lounge Member

Andryah
01.09.2014 , 11:49 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by kharathos View Post
Refer to my point about the question LegoUniverseBC asked being pointless. What should it matter why? I simply wanted to know if it would happen as I am happy on my server and don't want to create more characters on different servers nor do I want to delete what I already have as others have also said and understand in this thread. If you simply do not want 22+ characters, great for you and anyone else of like mind and I thank you for your input but perhaps this thread is not for you. This is for those who do and are also curious since the last 22 slot thread has not had any response from BW in some time. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I have 22 characters on one server and 6 on another server.

The 22 character limit is easy to overcome on your end. IF you want more then 22 characters on the same server, then start a second account, and make a simple purchase and run it preferred. OR... since you want more space to level more characters, perhaps you don't need a sub on your first account, so make a new account and sub on that and let your old account go preferred. When/If I need more then 22 characters on a server, this is exactly they way I would get my needs met.

My point being..... you have simple ways to address your needs without Bioware spending time and energy at raising a cap level that frankly very few people will bump up against. Most players probably have not even unlocked 22 character slots. Dev work should be applied where it servers the broadest player base. Your need is.. frankly a small corner case in the million+ active players.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Nickious
01.09.2014 , 12:15 PM | #29
While I never intend to have more than 22 characters, let alone more than 16, sure why not increase it?

However, you've been incredibily and unneccessairly rude and Devs are even less likely to tailor a response to comments made as such.

Sorei
01.09.2014 , 12:25 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I have 22 characters on one server and 6 on another server.

The 22 character limit is easy to overcome on your end. IF you want more then 22 characters on the same server, then start a second account, and make a simple purchase and run it preferred. OR... since you want more space to level more characters, perhaps you don't need a sub on your first account, so make a new account and sub on that and let your old account go preferred. When/If I need more then 22 characters on a server, this is exactly they way I would get my needs met.

My point being..... you have simple ways to address your needs without Bioware spending time and energy at raising a cap level that frankly very few people will bump up against. Most players probably have not even unlocked 22 character slots. Dev work should be applied where it servers the broadest player base. Your need is.. frankly a small corner case in the million+ active players.
With the Legacy system in place, spreading characters on different accounts isn't really the best solution. Those caring about account unlocks and legacy achievement would need to get those twice.
Spreading them on different servers may be a better solution (but could become problematic due to different types of servers), but also lacks the Legacy of your original characters. (yes, you can transfer a character to get the achievements, but if you care about achievements, you will still miss future achievements on one server).
The options you're naming are right now of course the only options to create more characters and if one really wants to have more than 22 characters, one has to take one of them.
However, more character slots would be way more satisfying.